• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple devices sure sucks at Wifi ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

yes, you can try 1 or 11. see if that improves things. I am guessing it says 2.4Ghz but can only use 2.4Ghz?

It says 2.4 Ghz and I can't change it. That's the only available option.

I've swtiched to 11. I'll try and use my ipad tonight and see if it works better.

Thank you for your help :)

Dougald

Has poor wifi coverage, buys second WAN. Blames Apple devices

I'm not even sure how to respond to all that. Just buy a second router and cable/powerline them together, or buy a decent quality router instead of whatever the ISP provides. I guess this is coming too late though

Geneijin

I can see why you got this idea, but you really should have looked into creating access point(s) and buying a faster speed plan from your current ISP instead.

railGUN

Banned
Wait... You're paying for 2 internet connections per month now? Every month... ? How much is this costing you?

I boosted my wifi with an old Linksys router that I converted into a switch (I think is the proper term) via a 2 minute tutorial I found on Google.

Err... Maybe I didn't boost the signal actually, just created more hard wired ports but still.

NotBacon

You have 5 Android phones and a iPhone 6? A lot of phones there.

iPhone 6 belongs to the GF, I have one Android, and the rest are from the company for app development.

iPhone consistently outperforms the Galaxy S in battery comparisons. iPhone 6/6+ have some of the best battery lives of phones on the market.

Saying iPhones have bad battery life is factually incorrect.

My GFs iPhone seems to last all day, but if there's one thing my friends won't stop complaining about (all iPhone 5/6), it's how shitty their battery is.

I have similar issue with iPad2s on our WiFi network. All other iPhone 3/4/5 and iPad3s work fine. Just the iPad2s sucked for our network.

Ashhong

Maybe we just have had shitty luck so far, but comparing ease of use and battery life between a Samsung Galaxy and an Iphone is quite something.

Indeed. The Galaxy is fucking terrible. I use both on a daily basis and can't stand the S5. So slow and leggy and just a chore to use.

On topic: didn't the op clarify that he didn't buy another IP service, he just got a second router?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm sorry, but could you PLEASE explain why your solution for getting stronger Wi-Fi at the other end of your house was to get a second internet plan, instead of just getting a Wi-Fi repeater/second access point? I'm completely flabbergasted.

Sure, not everyone understands fully how this stuff works, but if so you really should have asked someone who does.

Indeed. The Galaxy is fucking terrible. I use both on a daily basis and can't stand the S5. So slow and leggy and just a chore to use.

On topic: didn't the op clarify that he didn't buy another IP service, he just got a second router?

Did he?

Dalek

No this is what he said:

It is the same ISP and they provide me the same wireless router.

I'm pretty sure we'll never hear from him again.

npa189

In my experience its the metal materials used in apple products that can mess with weaker routers. I have a linksys 802.11ac router and it kicks ass. I get full reception even outside on my deck with my macbook.

Odd setup, you're crazy if your paying for 2 different subscriptions. you should have just gotten a bridge with the same SSID.

LordOfChaos

Ever since Yosemite I've had wifi problems galore, it isn't even fixed with 10.10.3. I wish Apple would slow down the yearly release cadence if they can't release things without so many bugs.

My GFs iPhone seems to last all day, but if there's one thing my friends won't stop complaining about (all iPhone 5/6), it's how shitty their battery is.

These are probably the type of people who use their iPhones as portable laptops. Like browsing the internet and Facebook all day, sending loads of messages etc. I get a full days charge out of my iPhone 5 which includes using Spotify for 3 hours a day while travelling.

These are probably the type of people who use their iPhones as portable laptops. Like browsing the internet and Facebook all day, sending loads of messages etc. I get a full days charge out of my iPhone 5 which includes using Spotify for 3 hours a day while travelling.

True. Heavy use will drain any device pretty fast. I love my iPhone 6+ but when I'm commuting I may be streaming spotify, while browsing gaf, texting, getting tons of work emails. getting notification from work chat app, etc. It'll put some work into the battery for sure.

My metric to check for battery issues is to put it in airplane mode overnight on a full charge w/o being plugged in. Then if that works as it should (should still have 99-100% battery in the am) let the thing idle with wifi/cell on.

If it's draining while idle then something ain't right and it's just a matter of turning shit off to isolate the issue.

One time I had an erroneous iTunes download that wouldn't complete. Kept my phone burning hot.

longdi

Banned
OP plz respond

Trust me. Im better off with current settings than previous single line and range extenders.

Now my laptop at extreme ends have full bar wifi. :D
Im actually paying less than buying an extreme AC3200 router, which i heard still buggy, slow and does not even guarantee full bar at the far ends of my home.

It is just those Apple devices, they always seems to give problems whenever i introduce a new router. Previously while i was on single line, i upgraded from 'N' draft router to the current 'AC' router, i had to do reset connection/reboot of my Apple devices.

Dalek

Kill%2Bthe%2BMoon%2B1.gif

Cheebo

Banned
Is this the first time a thread blew up on the OP and became a OP shaming thread and the OP doesn't even realize it?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Im actually paying less than buying an extreme AC3200 router, which i heard still buggy, slow and does not even guarantee full bar at the far ends of my home.

I am not sure you know how math works, but that is not surprising.

VoxPop

iPhone 6 belongs to the GF, I have one Android, and the rest are from the company for app development.

Be happy. Think about how much more they'd complain if they used something like a Nexus 6.

zychi

Banned
and this is why the fcc and net neutrality need to be all over ISPs. taking advantage of people like this is sad

dude just needed a powerline adapter or another router. so simple.

JZA

How am I still only a junior member to this forum, unable to create threads, when you've got members like the OP posting threads like this with caveman English?

Fbh

Well, if the signal and setup they are fine.

But I've noticed that they tend to struggle more than Android devices with weak/bad signals. Most of my Iphone owning friends tend to have a lot of trouble connecting to "public" wifi networks (my Unversity had one, or restaurants/pubs, malls, etc) if the signal isn't very strong

How am I still only a junior member to this forum, unable to create threads, when you've got members like the OP posting threads like this with caveman English?

Mabye Op didn't go around going off topic just to criticize the english level of other users?

longdi

Banned
Just an update, i managed to get the iphone5 and 6 of my family to work seamlessly, with the same SSID. They will auto switch to the stronger connection. See this works, and works better than extender or AC3200. :D
Ok it wont be as seamless with file/printer sharing in my network, but i can live with it.

It is the damn ipad4 wifi/lte that is still having trouble locating the server. Safari cannot find server, no network shown, but the YT apps work, the routers see the ipad4 connected. It is on the latest iOS. I have reset wifi, reset network settings, reboot, re-login, use static IP/DNS, change router wifi channels, use a different SSID, all still no go, what gives?

What a POS. I remember this ipad4 had trouble detecting router1 previously. Somehow after a channel change, it started working, but now channel changing does not help.

Cheebo

Banned
Just an update, i managed to get the iphone5 and 6 of my family to work seamlessly, with the same SSID. They will auto switch to the stronger connection. See this works, and works better than extender or AC3200. :D
Ok it wont be as seamless with file/printer sharing in my network, but i can live with it.

It is the damn ipad4 wifi/lte that is still having trouble locating the server. Safari cannot find server, no network shown, but the YT apps work, the routers see the ipad4 connected. It is on the latest iOS. I have reset wifi, reset network settings, reboot, re-login, use static IP/DNS, change router wifi channels, use a different SSID, all still no go, what gives?

What a POS. I remember this ipad4 had trouble detecting router1 previously. Somehow after a channel change, it started working, but now channel changing does not help.

I am impressed. You are still in denial about the awful insane choice you made about getting two broadband connections. You could have spend around $50 and do handoff with another router for full 100% wifi coverage that is as good (actually BETTER since the devices don't have to switch between) and thats it. The connection is not by default better by switching around broadband connections. That is not how signal strength works.

Instead you are paying a monthly fee for something you 100% did not need at all.

I have one broadband connection and 3 routers doing handoff, one in basement, one on my main floor, and one in the upstairs. Full coverage at full strength. That easy.

Hmm, I would look into beefing up your data plan and utilizing a third internet service which uses your phone's LTE connection to VPN back into your home's two internet connections, then make sure that your phone's hotspot SSID matches your home's two internet connections so you're technically never away from your internet ever.

Chilikar

Sorry guys I haven't read all the replies (since I dont really have much interest in this stuff) but I thought i'll drop by and post my opinion in case anybody was interested in answers to make some decision on which brand to purchase.

To be honest, I'm more of an android fan but I have to admit that my iPhone 5 usually has a much higher chance of picking up the wifi signals around me than my Samsung galaxy tab 3

Dalek

I am impressed. You are still in denial about the awful insane choice you made about getting two broadband connections. You could have spend around $50 and do handoff with another router for full 100% wifi coverage that is as good (actually BETTER since the devices don't have to switch between) and thats it. The connection is not by default better by switching around broadband connections. That is not how signal strength works.

Instead you are paying a monthly fee for something you 100% did not need at all.

I have one broadband connection and 3 routers doing handoff, one in basement, one on my main floor, and one in the upstairs. Full coverage at full strength. That easy.

But Apple!

johnny956

Lenovo is the king of having shitty WiFi recievers in my book.

Agreed, my Lenovo Yoga 2 is the only device that struggles in the front living room in my house and it only struggles in laptop mode. When I fold it to tablet mode it's substantially better. I have a iPad, iPhone 5s, Samsung Galaxy S4 and MacBook Air and all work without issue in the same room just that stupid Yoga 2

My iPad Air has been dropping wifi every 1/2 hr or so; loses connection for a few minutes. Everything else works fine. This just started a couple weeks ago after a year or so of no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom