• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple devices sure sucks at Wifi ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
OP has doubled down at this point and is never going to adjust this was a mistake.

Perhaps he truly believes this is better for him, I disagree but it could be true. But when he tries claiming that it's cheaper this way than buying a router? Insanity.

OP you do know that the internet bill is monthly right? And buying a new router or powerline adapter is a one time fee? There is no way what you are doing is going to be cheaper.

Afrodium

Banned
Trust me. Im better off with current settings than previous single line and range extenders.

Now my laptop at extreme ends have full bar wifi. :D
Im actually paying less than buying an extreme AC3200 router, which i heard still buggy, slow and does not even guarantee full bar at the far ends of my home.

It is just those Apple devices, they always seems to give problems whenever i introduce a new router. Previously while i was on single line, i upgraded from 'N' draft router to the current 'AC' router, i had to do reset connection/reboot of my Apple devices.

You realize this isn't true in the long run, right? Picking up another monthly Internet subscription is the least cost effective option.

longdi

Banned
Let say if you have a choice of picking up another internet connection, and all you needed was to pay for the modem, would you do it? Would the one-off price justified the stronger wirelessly signal but trickier network sharing? :D

Afrodium

Banned
Let say if you have a choice of picking up another internet connection, and all you needed was to pay for the modem, would you do it? Would the one-off price justified the stronger wirelessly signal but trickier network sharing? :D

You just bought a second modem, not a second connection? If this is the case, then how did you create a second wireless network? Is there a router connected to this second modem or does it broadcast a wireless signal? If it is a wireless modem then you could have just bought a router and set it up as a network switch.

Dougald

I would question why I was paying so much for internet that my provider was offering throw in a second line for no additional monthly fee

Cheebo

Banned
No because buying a router to network switch will have just as strong of a signal without the multiple network issue you created for yourself.

Your solution is not better than nearly any alternative unless your internet provider paid you to do it.

Dalek

This is hilarious. This is like if my water pressure was low, and I offered to pay my water company twice to get "full flow".

Geneijin

So your first ISP is cable and the second ISP is fiber, but you're getting the later for free with a flashed modem? Definitely if that's the case. Sounds like it.

longdi

Banned
So your first ISP is cable and the second ISP is fiber, but you're getting the later for free with a flashed modem? Definitely if that's the case. Sounds like it.

That is correct. :D
It was a great promotion.

I gave up in the end, the stupid iPad4 wifi hardware or software must've got corrupted. It will only get used in the other corner of my home. Suck it Apple!

LevelNth

Banned
This is probably a dumb question, but are certain routers better at maintaining speeds in high interference areas like condos?

Aka my router is old and will interference causing speed lags be possibly reduced with a new/better router?

ajcacio

Banned
This is probably a dumb question, but are certain routers better at maintaining speeds in high interference areas like condos?

Aka my router is old and will interference causing speed lags be possibly reduced with a new/better router?

It's not so much the router as it is the frequency it broadcasts. 2.4GHz is the "standard" so everyone uses that and it can cause some interference. Most higher end routers also broadcast at 5GHz (separate network) that is shorter in range but has a stronger signal. A lot of devices have a 5GHz wifi antennas but a lot don't (PS4 is only 2.4)

Also, if you're gonna buy a brand new router, consider getting one that supports 802.11ac protocol. This is the most recent and should last you a long time.

If you want to save some money I have a 2 year old Asus router that supports 5GHz networks and is 802.11n (300Mbps - one step behind ac). I just bought an apple time capsule so I no longer need it and would sell it for cheap

thomaser

I was in London this weekend, and my iphone couldn't connect to a single wifi network. I had to turn on data roaming to use apps. And even that didn't work if wifi was turned on for some reason. Strange, never had this problem before. As soon as I got back home, the wifi worked again.

Theonik

Depends on whether the 5GHz frequencies are also congested and on whether all your devices can use them, in my house I have the whole 5GHz band to myself.

vwnut13

My aunt and cousin are visiting from Los Angeles, and are staying at my other aunts house. They don't have cell signal here, and there was no router where they were staying, so we set one up for them.

Their iPhone 5's will randomly disconnect from the WiFi, and getting it to reconnect is a crap shoot. After entering this password, it says that it had a problem connecting. In order to connect, you have to just keep trying, and eventually it works. It wouldn't be so much a problem if it didn't disconnect every hour.

All of my android devices have never had an issue connecting, or staying connected to the WiFi.

Metalmarc

May as well ask here, problem i have is, if i have any more than 2 apple devices on my router i have to kick them off why is that? But i can have 2 apple devices and many non apple devices all connected with no problems.

I usually have constantly connected my network

My ipad mini
My girlfriend has her ipad 3

Now if my mother, sister and brother try to connect their iphones (4s, 5c and 5c ) to my 100mb fibre connection, it grinds to a halt, even if only one of those connect, my connection starts going crappy, until i kick all apple devices, bar our ipads off my network, then it works fine again, it became so annoying that i started blocking their iphones.
All their phones are up to date software wise.

And yet i can have 2 ipads, my desktop, my wiiU and sometimes more devices all connected with no problems, how come?

Vyer

My aunt and cousin are visiting from Los Angeles, and are staying at my other aunts house. They don't have cell signal here, and there was no router where they were staying, so we set one up for them.

Their iPhone 5's will randomly disconnect from the WiFi, and getting it to reconnect is a crap shoot. After entering this password, it says that it had a problem connecting. In order to connect, you have to just keep trying, and eventually it works. It wouldn't be so much a problem if it didn't disconnect every hour.

All of my android devices have never had an issue connecting, or staying connected to the WiFi.

What do you mean you 'set one up for them'? Your aunt didn't have internet service or a router already? Or she had a service but no wifi? You bought a new router to connect?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Looking past OP sucking at making decisions, I've found that my iPad Air 2 is absolute GARBAGE at keeping a stable link to a WiFi network.

The son of a bitch just drops it whenever it fancies, and I have a rather barebones network with just a normal, ISP issued router with no security features activated other than a strong password. Phones, consoles, computers and other tablets work just fine.

I'm so baffled by its bad performance I was tempted to make a thread and see if somebody else was having the same issues. I believe my WiFi performance only turned to shit after installing its first iOS update, but that may be unrelated.

The Boat

Old thread, but yeah, my experience with Apple products and Wi-Fi is terrible. I can be in my bedroom with my 3DS working perfectly online and I can't even get a connection on my iPhone 5 or iPad 2. Lots of times I see people around me in school connecting to the Wi-Fi (on non-Apple products) and I usually can't connect.

KingKong

I'm not sure if it's the phone or the software, but I've definitely found problems when going from wifi to 4g, like when I go from the office to a bus I often have to turn airplane mode on/off to get a connection working

The jumping to conclusions and subsequent dog pile on OP without knowing the full story makes this thread even more delectable.

There is a difference between setting someone straight for there benefit and just being a mean spirited jackass.

WiFi one Macs really is shithouse. I worked in a small office of 6 people last year, 4 Mac users (3 mbps's and an iMac) and 2 windows laptops. All I ever fucking heard from the Mac users was "the WiFi is down", "the server is down", "omg fix the WiFi", "why is the WiFi so bad in here??" etc etc. The 2 windows laptops never had a days worth of trouble.
I had heard changing the MTU value could fix the issue but it never did for me

For me Apple devices have great wifi, my windows laptops can hardly load 720p youtube videos, while on my rmbp I can watch 1440p videos just fine.

vwnut13

Also reminds me, we had a cart with Macbooks in high school, and they would never stay connected.

What do you mean you 'set one up for them'? Your aunt didn't have internet service or a router already? Or she had a service but no wifi? You bought a new router to connect?

She had internet, but no router, so we brought over a router we had and set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom