• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple devices sure sucks at Wifi ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

The "Apple should just work!" idea is ridiculous. You (not just the OP, anybody) can't just make a convoluted setup and expect every device to just adapt to it. Maybe Windows devices work for this, but I'm sure there are situations where the opposite is true.

okno

I was going to agree with you, but then I remembered I have an iPhone 5s and haven´t had a single wifi issue with it in my entire time since owning it.

All of the iPhones I had before this phone? Shit wifi. Absolutely shit wifi. My 5s, though, is a wifi beast. I can go three floors below my apartment to the bar on the ground floor and still get full wifi signal!

Not to totally derail the thread (although I disagree, I find my Apple devices pick up stronger WiFi than my Lenovo laptop).. but..

I just got another broadband internet as it is affordable and helps to cover the other ends of my home. Set it up using a same set of router broadcasting the same SSID but through different public IPs.

Who... who coached you on this?

So will setting 2 separate SSIDs solve this problem with Apple devices?

Btw i did give all my devices static IP, same settings on both routers, no random DHCP allocation. I also enabled MAC filtering and WPA2 security and there is only 1 such SSID in my area, and that is mine. :D So i think my devices wont autoroam too badly?

And yes Windows and Android devices are working well currently, surprising? Not sure we should, i thought Wireless..at least in the 'N' and 'AC' maturity, should work smart enough...

Android devices would connect to the nearest router1 and if i moved away from it and towards router2, the device would say "temporary avoiding weak connection etc"...and in the next few seconds, auto-connects to router2! 0_0

Apple devices couldnt even connect properly to router1(which is the newly introduced router). They work properly with router1 off...

Why not just have one network and use range extender?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ok I get what you're saying. It makes total sense. But what am I supposed to do then ?

I don't know much about this stuff but when I set the second network I did ask my ipad to " forget " the last one and set it on the new network. But I can still see the old network on the list of available networks when I go in the settings.

And how come my Vita, Samsung galaxy, asus laptop have been working perfectly ? This only happens with my Ipad.

your problem may be a little different.. I missed the part where you said it was the same access point with two different SSIDs. (is that correct)

someone in here said that ios 8 greatly frakked up wifi on ipad3, but the newest update (8.3?) seemed to fix it. I can't vouch for that though.

my ipad 3 frankly had no range issues in the same house.. so my instinct (provided the above does not work) would be that you have interference somewhere.. either overlapping channels from neighbors.. or 2.4Ghz devices in your house.. I'm not sure if you have to go to iPad Air or Air 2 to get 5Ghz, but I am pretty sure ipad 3 is 2.4Ghz only. So you can always play with switching your router to channel 1, 6, or 11 (those are the three non-overlapping 2.4Ghz channels) and see if that helps things.

Tobor

I have an AirPort Extreme and airport express as a bridge. Both work beautifully and are never down. My devices always work.

Also, lol at setting up a separate network. That's such a bad idea.

Dalek

I have an AirPort Extreme and airport express as a bridge. Both work beautifully and are never down. My devices always work.

Also, lol at setting up a separate network. That's such a bad idea.

This is my setup. Works like a charm. I only ever have one issue with VPN on my macbook pro that's weird.

Justin85

For my iphone 5 it was a 2.4ghz vs 5ghz router issue. I guess was too much interference for the wifi connection to hold up when it was connected to a 2.4Ghz router. With a 5Ghz router, the connection has been great. Maybe that change could help?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Yea, they are.

a few months ago, my wife's iPad wouldn't connect to our network, out of nowhere. Nothing had changed on the router side, my windows phone, surface and kindle all connect fine. Her laptop connected fine, her iPad would just not connect. I would have to reboot my router and it would connect for a few minutes.

Cheebo

Banned
Wow. What the OP did is something I would only imagine an 80 year old person who gets talked into it by their cable company would do.

A HUGE waste of money. You could have done this so so so so much cheaper and easier.

Theonik

Wow. What the OP did is something I would only imagine an 80 year old person who gets talked into it by their cable company would do.

A HUGE waste of money. You could have done this so so so so much cheaper and easier.
At the same time though he can use the second connection to double his speed.

It's like towing a second car behind your car so you can go twice as fast.

dead2.gif

Mimosa97

your problem may be a little different.. I missed the part where you said it was the same access point with two different SSIDs. (is that correct)

someone in here said that ios 8 greatly frakked up wifi on ipad3, but the newest update (8.3?) seemed to fix it. I can't vouch for that though.

my ipad 3 frankly had no range issues in the same house.. so my instinct (provided the above does not work) would be that you have interference somewhere.. either overlapping channels from neighbors.. or 2.4Ghz devices in your house.. I'm not sure if you have to go to iPad Air or Air 2 to get 5Ghz, but I am pretty sure ipad 3 is 2.4Ghz only. So you can always play with switching your router to channel 1, 6, or 11 (those are the three non-overlapping 2.4Ghz channels) and see if that helps things.

Yes that's correct. I don't know the " technical " wording and english isn't my first language sorry.

I thought about interferences but my ipad being the only device I have issues with makes me think the problem lies somewhere else. I havn't downloaded the newest ios update yet, I'll do it now that you're saying it helps fix issues with the wifi.

How do I switch channels on my router ?

And thank you for your help/taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.

I just got a Macbook Pro and this issue is pissing me off so much. Everything else in my apartment connects to my wifi network just fine. The Mac will work for a bit, then stop. In chrome, I get an "ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED" message. I take out my PC and everything works just fine.

Alucrid

Banned
At my kitchen my (Samsung) android phone, Dell Venue Windows tablet, Nvidia Shield Portable and even the N3DS report strong connection from my quality dual band access point, while my iPad Mini struggles. The only other devices with this behaviour is my PS Oled Vita. :/
Did you turn off the WiFi power saving setting on the vita?

I just got another broadband internet as it is affordable and helps to cover the other ends of my home. Set it up using a same set of router broadcasting the same SSID but through different public IPs.

Windows and Android devices easily detected the new router and even smart enough to switch routers if signals are weak.

But my iPad4, iPhone5 and iPhone6 all have trouble connecting to the new router! I tried renew lease, reset network settings, reboot and the auto connection is still spotty. Sometimes i get ipad is not connected to internet blahblahblah...but the youtube apps work.

What gives? I thought Apple devices supposed to just work?

Wait wait wait.

You bought a second WAN connection into your house instead of just setting up a proper wireless network?

My sides.

Cheebo

Banned
Wait wait wait.

You bought a second WAN connection into your house instead of just setting up a proper wireless network?

My sides.

It is literally the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyone do on GAF tech related. No question at all. I am still in shock about it.

borghe

Yes that's correct. I don't know the " technical " wording and english isn't my first language sorry.

I thought about interferences but my ipad being the only device I have issues with makes me think the problem lies somewhere else. I havn't downloaded the newest ios update yet, I'll do it now that you're saying it helps fix issues with the wifi.

How do I switch channels on my router ?

And thank you for your help/taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.

on your router, under WiFi/Wireless settings (or frequently Advanced setting under WiFi/Wireless) there should be a Channel option. Frequently set to "auto" out of the box.. for 2.4Ghz networks there are only 3 channels that can be selected from that don't overlap with each other.. 1, 6, and 11. For 5Ghz virutally all usable channels are non-overlapping by default. So for 2.4Ghz your best bet is try work on a single channel for a day or two and see if things are better or worse.. and go through all three channels as needed. For 5Ghz you are often fine with just leaving "auto" turned on as the likelihood of your router being able to pick a channel with no/low interference is decent.

and I stand corrected. Apparently the iPad 3 (and even 2) are 5Ghz compatible.. So for anyone having issues trying a 5Ghz router (with a separate 5Ghz SSID) could be an option if your ipad (or any other compatible device) is having problems connecting to your 2.4Ghz network.

I just got a Macbook Pro and this issue is pissing me off so much. Everything else in my apartment connects to my wifi network just fine. The Mac will work for a bit, then stop. In chrome, I get an "ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED" message. I take out my PC and everything works just fine.

check under System Prefs->Power if your system is putting your hard drive to sleep after x amount of time. This will frequently put wifi to sleep as well. Uncheck "put hard drives to sleep". Also my imac acted goofy when I ran 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the same SSID. Similar to what you are saying (connection was flaky). When I switched the frequencies to separate SSIDs I've had zero issues.

Mimosa97

Should be in the settings panel of the router where you set the SSID/password. Might vary by router brand...etc.

Found it. Thank you :)

on your router, under WiFi/Wireless settings (or frequently Advanced setting under WiFi/Wireless) there should be a Channel option. Frequently set to "auto" out of the box.. for 2.4Ghz networks there are only 3 channels that can be selected from that don't overlap with each other.. 1, 6, and 11. For 5Ghz virutally all usable channels are non-overlapping by default. So for 2.4Ghz your best bet is try work on a single channel for a day or two and see if things are better or worse.. and go through all three channels as needed. For 5Ghz you are often fine with just leaving "auto" turned on as the likelihood of your router being able to pick a channel with no/low interference is decent.

and I stand corrected. Apparently the iPad 3 (and even 2) are 5Ghz compatible.. So for anyone having issues trying a 5Ghz router (with a separate 5Ghz SSID) could be an option if your ipad (or any other compatible device) is having problems connecting to your 2.4Ghz network.

This is what it says

General Wireless Settings
Interface Type: auto b/g/n
Channel: Auto(6)
Channel Bandwidth: Auto
Transmit Power (%): 100
WMM: Enable
WMM Power Save: Enable
Physical Address (MAC):*************
Frequency Band: 2.4Ghz

Should I turn the auto off and put it on 1 ? 11 ?

pixelation

Not totally un-related but... i'll never understand the fascination that people have with Apple products, shitty battery life, shitty wi-fi connection, cumbersome/archaic way of transferring files from pc to device... and kids are all over said devices due to brand name alone. My little sister has had several Apple products and all of them are a chore to work with, i know this because she asks me to help her out when she has issues with them, that funnily enough... no one else in the household seems to have because we own different branded devices. But i guess it comes down to her being a teenager and teens being in love with the rotten Apple.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not totally un-related but... i'll never understand the fascination that people have with Apple products, shitty battery life, shitty wi-fi connection, cumbersome/archaic way of transferring files from pc to device... and kids are all over said devices due to brand name alone. My little sister has had several Apple products and all of them are a chore to work with, i know this because she asks me to help her out when she has issues with them, that funnily enough... no one else in the household seems to have because we own different branded devices. But i guess it comes down to her being a teenager and teens being in love with the rotten Apple.

Shitty battery life? Bullshit to an epic degree. I have no problems with the Wifi on my current devices.

Apple products are easy as shit to use, your sister may just not know how to work it.

NotBacon

iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6 consistently have wifi issues even in the same room as my Asus Dark Knight router.
My Linux Laptop, Windows Laptop, 5 Android phones, etc. never have problems...
So I think it's just an Apple thing.

Cheebo

Banned
iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6 consistently have wifi issues even in the same room as my Asus Dark Knight router.
My Linux Laptop, Windows Laptop, 5 Android phones, etc. never have problems...
So I think it's just an Apple thing.

You have 5 Android phones and a iPhone 6? A lot of phones there.

FStop7

Banned
Try setting up Macs to use 802.11x with EAP-TLS with Active Directory and a Windows CA.

Easily one of the most frustrating, shitty little projects I've ever been involved with. I had to figure out everything from forums. Apple had _zero_ effective documentation and I had to figure it out all from forums...

CTLance

To be honest, that kind of stuff is best handled with a homeplug(dLAN/PLC) adapter or wireless range extender.

It's a small miracle that two routers on different networks but using the same SSID don't fuck shit up for more devices. It's not supposed to work, but probably does because the standard factory setup will probably land both routers in the same subnet, allowing DHCP'd configs and addresses from one network to be used on the other.

Jikes, though. That is tech support nightmare material.

pixelation

Shitty battery life? Bullshit to an epic degree. I have no problems with the Wifi on my current devices.

Apple products are easy as shit to use, your sister may just not know how to work it.

Maybe we just have had shitty luck so far, but comparing ease of use and battery life between a Samsung Galaxy and an Iphone is quite something.

notBald

I vaguely recall my cousin, who fixes stuff like this, say that apple devices commonly have trouble with channel 13 or another something like that. Change the channel, and they work fine.

I've never had any trouble getting wifi working on Apple. The only troublesome device I got is a HP Stream 7, which refused to connect to a cheap-ass router I've now trashed.

For fucks sake please don't turn this thread into some android/apple debate...

Cheebo

Banned
Maybe we just have had shitty luck so far, but comparing ease of use and battery life between a Samsung Galaxy and an Iphone is quite something.

iPhone consistently outperforms the Galaxy S in battery comparisons. iPhone 6/6+ have some of the best battery lives of phones on the market.

Saying iPhones have bad battery life is factually incorrect.

pixelation

My iPhone6 battery lasts me two days before it needs a charge.

Wow, my sister would be elated to have her battery last more than 8 hrs.

For fucks sake please don't turn this thread into some android/apple debate...

I won't :(

iPhone consistently outperforms the Galaxy S in battery comparisons. iPhone 6/6+ have some of the best battery lives of phones on the market.

Saying iPhones have bad battery life is factually incorrect.

Hmm, well in my circle of friends the consensus is different...

But i digress... carry on.

Wow, my sister would be elated to have her battery last more than 8 hrs

8 hours hard and constant use or 8 hours idle?

If the phone is fairly new then I'd wonder what is running in the background. If she had a ton of apps and hasn't turned off background app refresh & push notifications for unneeded apps it could cause drain.

My 6+ battery lasts a very long time. I charge it once at night out of habit. But it's good money all day.

my poor iPhone will pretty much once a day lose LTE and not attempt to reaquire it. I have to either toggle on/off airplane mode or reboot the device.

It also will reboot from overheating while calling people.

Every iPhone I've ever owned... the 3G. 4S. and 5 has had perfect Wi-Fi. However up until the latest iOS my 6 kept disconnecting, blue screening, and required hard resets to get back up on its feet.

this can work, but be VERY careful in recommending this as it has to be setup properly (i.e. turning off DHCP on the "inside" router, making sure to hook up LAN-to-LAN and not WAN-to-LAN, or configuring bridging options if needed, etc.)

post wasn't mean to be a guide on how to do it; just a statement that it's being done. lol

borghe

Found it. Thank you :)

This is what it says

General Wireless Settings
Interface Type: auto b/g/n
Channel: Auto(6)
Channel Bandwidth: Auto
Transmit Power (%): 100
WMM: Enable
WMM Power Save: Enable
Physical Address (MAC):*************
Frequency Band: 2.4Ghz

Should I turn the auto off and put it on 1 ? 11 ?
yes, you can try 1 or 11. see if that improves things. I am guessing it says 2.4Ghz but can only use 2.4Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom