• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF you mislead me!! The Order!!

Hey fellow gaffers

Well when the order came out I listened to GAF about how there is no camera control, no multiplayer etc etc

However I saw it today for £25 and was like ok let's give it a go

But GAF you failed to mention the game is really good!!!

It's fast flowing with the gameplay if you like gears of war style game play, the graphics are next to none - looks amazing!!

The first 10 minutes you cant do much but after that it goes all third person shooter style on my ass and moves great!!

Wish this game had sold a lot and not got slammed in to bad sales because it's a fantastic game

Yeah its real hit or miss for people.

The Order is a pretty well made game. Its beautiful and polished and performs very well. Mechanically, it plays well, too.

It just has some questionable design choices that really turned people off. Including the short length.

Sendou

I would definitely play it if I had a PS4. It was pretty surprising to see how thoroughly reviewers destroyed it.

Rapstah

I'm sorry, I did indeed forget to tell you the game was good. That's how quality works and I'm sorry for not telling you.

SerTapTap

I rather enjoyed it myself too, though it certainly had pacing issues. Perhaps the first time I really would have enjoyed some "padding" to enjoy the combat more. Would have been hard to just cram in more fights in a lot of the areas though. I got the collector's edition for $40 and I'm quite satisfied. I do think the game should have been more upfront about length and charged at a lower rate though, I Think it would have gone a long way to lessen the hate-fest.

Also it had some really cool weapons like the thermite thing that were a bit under-utilized.

Majine

Banned
latest

Looks so great!

It's an ok game, not bad at all like the people who haven't even played it wants you to believe. I enjoyed my time with it and I don't regret paying full price for it.

Hey fellow gaffers

Well when the order came out I listened to GAF about how there is no camera control, no multiplayer etc etc

It's fast flowing with the gameplay if you like gears of war style game play, the graphics are next to none - looks amazing!!

The first 10 minutes you cant do much but after that it goes all third person shooter style on my ass and moves great!!

Which this game had sold a lot and not got slammed in to bad sales because it's a fantastic game
Yes, it really is.

Lessen leard. If you have seen a lot of stuff about a game and you think you really like it, then simply buy it.

mcz117chief

Like almost EVERY thread here on GAF says how wonderful a game it is. How could you have missed that ? There is honestly zero excuse. The game is good, people know it, GAF knows it, everybody knows it. It is just that there are few zealots who thought that it would be the second coming and got disappointed when they found out it is just a game made by humans.

There are several really good games that vocal parts of GAF love to hate. BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider 2013 come to mind.

Order 1886 is another one of these games.

SerTapTap

Oh BTW, this is why you should really check out the OT for any game you're interested in but people seem to hate. OTs have very little driveby-hate, so if people are legitimately enjoying or hating the actual game as why play it, you'll know when you read the OT.

Hasney

The worst game I played this generation so far but hey, easy platinum and I made a profit on it, so I was happy.

Kyoufu

I enjoyed it despite the negativity surrounding it. It does have flaws but they really nailed the setting, gunplay, voice acting and music. Would definitely play a sequel.

I think next time they should focus on actual gameplay though. They fucked up with the "filmic" messaging throughout development.

Op, yep, it was way underappreciated.

To me, given it's flaws, it was a solid 7. Still, a solid 7 is a very worthwhile experience, imo and I look back on the game fondly.

I really wish they'd get a sequel and fix the problems and come back with a 9-10.

Yet, it's very doubtful, because for whatever reason this game got some of the most disrespectful treatment I've seen a game get, in a while.

And those visuals...this gen starts and the gaming media keeps saying "where are those next gen visuals?" This game turns up and it looks insanely good, and what do they say? "Next gen is here?" Nope they say "Looks aren't everything." Then they make up the term "next gen gameplay" and I stop reading...SMH

Haven't played The Order (Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was more important at the time) but this is why I take no one's opinion but my own on anything.

sn00zer

Honestly if the just swing the gameplay/cinematic ratio the other way they could have one hell of a franchise on their hands.

IvanJ

Banned
Glad you liked it. But I hated it, easily the worst current-gen game I've played, and among 5 worst ever...
If there are 6 hours of my life I could get back, that would be it (and I was stuck in an elevator during a power-outage once).

Honestly if the just swing the gameplay/cinematic ratio the other way they could have one hell of a franchise on their hands.

After playing some of it at a friend's house, I can agree with this ten-fold. The production value is insane but if I were actually in control more during the story I think I'd have loved it.

meppi

Borrowed the game from a friend and played it for a night. Ended up really enjoying it.
Sure, it has it's share of problems and it certainly isn't top tier when it comes to PS4 games, but it certainly has a special feel to it and is very enjoyable.
Not everyone will like it, but I'll be picking it up for myself when I can find it at a decent price.

next time, don't listen to.people who only watch interviews and trailers and go to every singe thread to shit on a game. those are the people who have nothing else better to do.

SerTapTap

...that would do almost nothing because the game's problem is that it's right about 50:50 cutscenes and gameplay

Gears

A couple friends and myself played through it in about 5 hours. Nobody wanted to play it after a while, thought it was pretty awful. Also thought the story was worse than anything I had played in a couple years, aside from destiny. It felt like 1/3rd of a complete game honestly. Pretty though I guess

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The graphics look great but also so very, very boring. Like, everything looks realistic, but nothing looks interesting to me.
Okay, this apple really looks a lot like an apple but.....an apple isn't necessarily something interesting. That's how it felt to me.

I thought is was boring.
The gameplay was good, but there wasn't enough of it. The encounters were also poorly designed, but gunplay felt really great overall, so it was fun.
But the rest of the game was so linear, the game constantly took controls away from me and didn't let me do anything.
It was nice to look at(best looking video game across all plattform at the moment), but I wanted to do more.
I also thought the pacing of the story wasn't good and the story itself wasn't good enough for such a purely story driven game. Acting was great, though.

I just didn't have a lot of fun with the game. I wish for their next game they focus more on gameplay and less on taking control away from the player.

Chabbles

I really liked it too. The instant deaths from failed QTE's are complete shit though, especially when they just came out of nowhere during a cutscene or something and weren't expected. They added nothing but break the "cinematic" flow.
I hope we get another more fleshed out game now that the engine is done.

Is it really more cutscenes than gameplay? or was that people bullshitting?

Bullshit ofcourse.

Its not really more cutscenes, everyone just overreacted because RAD tried to merge both gameplay and cinematic often in the game to give a movie like experience, so that made everyone to think like that. Hope this game has sequel as this game was seemed like a little rushed and incomplete with story/content overall and left to explore more in future games.

Wozman23

I proclaim my love for it in every thread I can.

It's really the first game that felt next gen to me - and that's not just an opinion based on the stellar visuals alone. The story and pacing take a bold approach that really expand on the idea of a 'cinematic' game. It felt like a huge summer blockbuster that I got to play. Before it, I always scoffed at the 'cinematic' buzz word. The idea of playing though a game with such an emphasis on story turned me off. However, The Order totally change my way of thinking.

The scathing reviews did it such a disservice. Your not the first who was dumbfounded by its brilliance, and you won't be the last. I really hope we get a sequel!

Kyoufu

...that would do almost nothing because the game's problem is that it's right about 50:50 cutscenes and gameplay

Why are cutscenes a problem though? MGS has plenty of it.

What they need to do is take out the insta-fail QTE stealth sections, the silly lycan trio encounter design and focus on polishing that gunplay.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hey fellow gaffers

Which this game had sold a lot and not got slammed in to bad sales because it's a fantastic game

I'm going to pick it up at some point that's for sure.

Why are cutscenes a problem though? MGS has plenty of it.

MGS also has a ridiculous abundance of gameplay. The cutscenes are long, but the nature of the game design means you can experiment and basically get as much out of it as you want; even when you go back to gameplay in The Order, it's still linear and simple. Fewer people complain about the cutscenes in MGS because of the gameplay variety and replayability.

You misled yourself, listening to people you don't know, who have no idea what you like, when you could have watched a million and one Let's Play videos and at least seen the game for yourself.

I gave up on it after it autosaved a second before I was hit by a grenade, meaning that I died every time I loaded it up. Couldn't progress without going back and wading through a billion cutscenes. Absolutely couldn't be bothered with it by that point. Not to say that it's a bad game at all, rather it didn't do anything for me over and above any other third-person shooter (other than the graphics) that's been released since 2006, and that save issue just put me off.

sn00zer

If its not it feels like it, far more than MGS4 which was notorious for it. Unplayable cutscenes occur constantly, even for simple actions like crawling through tunnels or opening doors. The problem is, everything is done really really well its hard to criticize, its just that the gameplay needed less interruptions.

I did like the feeling that I was watching a really god R rated CG film though.

Should have been called The Order: 1886 - The Missed Potential Edition. I enjoyed the game, and kept it to play through it again when I have time (luckily I won't need much time to play through it), but the entire time I felt like the game had so much blown potential. I hope they sold enough for a sequel and they can improve on it for next time.

GRaider81

Bought it for £40 and sold it for £35 a week later. Basically rented it but yeah it was very enjoyable. Spent about 8 hours getting the plat.

Definately better than some of the ridiculous reviews suggested.

Zakalwe

Banned
Incredibly boring and shallow game for the most part. Flat characters, terrible writing, the world looks incredible but there's no interactivity, the shooting is average, the level design unimaginative, enemy encounters poorly designed (especially the werewolf fights), the weapon variety is too little, the lack of upgrading is disappointing...

In chapter 8 (I think) the one where you
attack the docks
the game starts to come to life a little. The level open up a little and start introducing verticality and much more interesting enemy encounter design. By then it's too little too late.

Looks brilliant, plays mediocre. I hope they concentrate on the game next time instead of the visuals.

The scathing reviews are because of how bad the story is. If the game's gonna be cinematic then it needs to have a good story.

I hear it is shit second to only Destiny. After reading the whole plot and stuff, yep. Needs solid writing it if is going to lean on it so much.

Top Bottom