• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF you mislead me!! The Order!!

Elandyll

Banned
How is it possible that first posts are most of the time incredibly smart and funny?

Too bad it's really not this time though, -and- it failed High School English 101 as well :(

That was just poorly done drive by shit-posting, far too extreme in its claim (10minutes?) to be deemed clever.

Dartastic

Yeah its real hit or miss for people.

The Order is a pretty well made game. Its beautiful and polished and performs very well. Mechanically, it plays well, too.

It just has some questionable design choices that really turned people off. Including the short length.
Pretty much. I'm glad I played it, and definitely enjoyed it. However, I'm glad I played it via Gamefly, because I'd have been a bit irritated if I spent 60 bucks on it.

Fbh

It's an ok rental game or worth playing if you have some friend to borrow it from.

But it is indeed pretty bad and a joke as a big AAA exclusive. The gunplay is actually good but the actual gameplay lacks more variety. The enemy variety is sad, it lack more big Uncharted like setpiece moments and there's basically 2 encounters with werewolves (which was supposed to be the thing to set it apart from being "the most by the numbers cover shooter ever) in a 7 hours long game and yet they recycled them
The story which they focus SO much on feels like the prologue to something better instead of a full tale. If it had been a movie it would have been a bad one, but that doesn't matter because it's a videogame.... except it's also not a good videogame.

Oh and the content is laughable. In a age of games like Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Bayonetta 2, or even freaking Destiny having a 7 hours long game with NO replay value and NO multiplayer is just a joke if you are going for full retail release

sn00zer

Pretty much. I'm glad I played it, and definitely enjoyed it. However, I'm glad I played it via Gamefly, because I'd have been a bit irritated if I spent 60 bucks on it.

Oh yeah I rented this for a weekend and had fun with it. Its perfect in the $20-$30 range.

duckroll

Isn't it nice when the first reply isn't a stupid one liner which gets quoted over and over derailing a thread before it starts?

*cough*

I enjoyed my time with it. The fact that there are only 4 lycan encounters and they were recycled and they sucked, in a game about lycans, ruined my overall experience. Plus the lazy implementation of QTE and the fact the the 'revolutionary' branching QTE were almost non existent. It was a huge disappointment. The production value, punchy and unique weapons (although you barely get to use the good ones), good voice acting and overall atmosphere saved this game from being a complete and utter failure and brought it into the meh-ok range. Huuuuge missed potential with this game. But dem grafix! Holy shit.

Certinty

One of the most boring games I've played these last few years which is a shame because it looks great and the shooting feels pretty good too.

Just it's so repetitive and slow I can't even get around to completing it.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Yep. I agree, OP. The Order gets waaay too many hate for what it is. Ready at Dawn was transparent at what kind of game it is, and for some reason, some people weren't OK with it.

I personally loved my time with the game and found the story engaging. Now? Seeing as I don't think it sold that well, we won't see what happens next. Sigh.

Enjoy the game! Next time, go try it or buy based on instincts. The Order is one of the few times where I think the majority of the reviewers didn't get it right. I know being "right" is subjective, but I think it's nowhere near being a 5 or 6 only game as some sites think it is.

Solal

Graphics aside, I thought that game was a joke and a game designer shame... I am still not even sure that the ennemies have eyesight...any average shooting game offers a better game design.

The shooting feels good?! Big deal! I can't recall any recent AAA game where I thought the gunplay felt bad. It's just the very minimum when you make a shooting game isn't it?

But if some people liked it, good on them !

souffe

Neo Member
good game, terrible pacing ! Felt like I spent 70 percent of the game watching cutscenes, but when I did get to play the gunplay was awesome

LycanXIII

I paid $30 for it and enjoyed it. I would have liked it more if they actually followed through with the supernatural aspect. There were only
10 Lycans in the whole game, and then the addition of Vampires that led to nothing
. I hope they get a chance to do a sequel and expand on it.

I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the story, combat and pace. I have told my friends about the game and they all feel the same as I. Gaf is a good place to debate. Don't make your game purchases based off this forum. I would have missed out on a lot of things.

I tried to tell everyone that the game is actually really good and well worth playing, but no one listens to me. Some of the things I liked about it were that enemies weren't bullet sponges and that enemy encounters didn't go on forever like 2 popular 3rd person shooter franchises I could mention. Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed it, and let's hope we get a sequel some day.

Fredrik

Hey fellow gaffers

Well when the order came out I listened to GAF about how there is no camera control, no multiplayer etc etc

However I saw it today for £25 and was like ok let's give it a go

But GAF you failed to mention the game is really good!!!

It's fast flowing with the gameplay if you like gears of war style game play, the graphics are next to none - looks amazing!!

The first 10 minutes you cant do much but after that it goes all third person shooter style on my ass and moves great!!

Wish this game had sold a lot and not got slammed in to bad sales because it's a fantastic game
Yup it's truly great, weighty gameplay, better shooting than Uncharted, the story and characters are interesting, and it's still the best looking game on any platform. Killed by the hype but raised from the dead by people like you and me. I'd recommend everyone to give it a try. One of the finest PS4 exclusives so far.

25 quid is just about what the game is worth. I enjoyed the game, went in expecting nothing.

Isn't it nice when the first reply isn't a stupid one liner which gets quoted over and over derailing a thread before it starts?

*cough*

Thanks for cleaning up. It wasn't even funny, sometimes people try too hard to be witty for that 1st post/spot, all the "oh damn", "/close thread" like quotes are even more annoying.

Wozman23

"If we go there we do it my way: We won't kill anybody!"
*next scene*
"Let's kill everybody"

I give people credit on saying the story felt incomplete, or for criticizing some of the paths that weren't explored yet. They're clearly envisioning a bigger arc. However, nitpicking lines like this makes no sense.

Galahad didn't want to shoot anybody because he wasn't sure which side was right or who to believe... then he got shot at by a sniper. If I'm in that situation that's when I ditch the pacifist act too.

Endo Punk

"If we go there we do it my way: We won't kill anybody!"
*next scene*
"Let's kill everybody"

"You and i are not so different"

*Hour later from another character*

"You and i are not so different"

Dat storytelling.

lol, but seriously i'm over getting angry. RAD screwed up and lesson learnt. Hope they do better next time, if there will be one. Sony has been suspiciously quite regarding this game. They could have easily picked a hand full of gaf comments and made a video about how awesome the game is to persuade the masses.

Toxi

Banned
Like almost EVERY thread here on GAF says how wonderful a game it is. How could you have missed that ? There is honestly zero excuse. The game is good, people know it, GAF knows it, everybody knows it. It is just that there are few zealots who thought that it would be the second coming and got disappointed when they found out it is just a game made by humans.
Is that why it got middling reviews from most outlets? Or were those the "few zealots"?

Gsnap

Can't get behind such a shallow game. Less depth than Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

The guns do "feel good" in a vacuum. But the level elements do nothing to facilitate fun shooting and decent interplay.

Not to mention that the big draw of the story wasn't even good.

It's a real shame to see a game like this put up as an important first party release.

Grisby

Looks great and the shooting was solid, if simple.

Unfortunately, it's still a bad game, with terrible pacing and not so great enemy and level design.

What really sucks is when you realize that RAD can turn out a great game experience, like GOW ghost of sparta.
Is it really more cutscenes than gameplay? or was that people bullshitting?
Eh, it sure feels like it a lot of the time. There's a ton of slow walking sections mixed in with the cutscenes so it feels like the actual firefights don't happen that much.

It was a fun way to waste a night. I bought it pre-owned from Gamestop for $31, beat it that night and got the platinum the next morning and returned it that afternoon.

I wish they would've added more to it. The world was nice and inviting but you couldn't do much with it except to enjoy the atmosphere it presented. I went into it after the reviews obviously so I knew what to expect. I learned my mistake from the hype train that was Watch Dogs.

Yup.

I enjoyed it greatly. The issues that people had with the game I can understand but there is definitely an audience for it and it's in noway as horrible as some made it out to be.

Glad you enjoyed it. I hope we get a sequel.

BokehKing

Banned
The Order is the best looking game on the system, it's beautiful and the gun play is a lot of fun. It got put through the ringer, once that door was busted open people piled on with the hate.

I'll stick by what I said back then, you have to make your own opinion.

Why are cutscenes a problem though? MGS has plenty of it.

Even as an MGS fan I think they go overboard with cutscenes. I love it when they're entertaining in themselves but often they're not, with the worst offenders being the codec conversations with people you're standing beside in 2 and mission briefings in 4. The thing is that outside of cutscenes MGS has an abundance of gameplay- different ways to play, great boss fights, replayability, secrets and extras- but even when The Order does let you play it's restrictive and offers no real reason for a second playthrough.

Yeah I was expecting a bad game after the reviews and a lot of gaffers giving really bad impressions. But so glad I recently got it and really liking it so far. It has some issues but it's far from 'piece of crap' game. The game looks amazing and no other game can touch it in visuals. The atmosphere is great. Story is pretty good so far when other games can get away with worse or no stories at all. Shooting and gunplay is really well done. Yes there is room for improvement and if RAD listens to the positive criticism the sequel can be like UC2. I really hope Sony gives them another chance.

A solid 7/8 for me so far.

TheYanger

next time, don't listen to.people who only watch interviews and trailers and go to every singe thread to shit on a game. those are the people who have nothing else better to do.

Because nobody in any order thread, or any reviewer, actually played The Order.

eXistor

I hated it. Outside of the technical prowess, the game had very little going for it; boring and drawn-out enemy encounters, forced usage of certain weapons, boring cutscenes that lead to nowhere. I found it quite an achievement that a game this short could be so boring so fast.

The reviews were too kind, this is a 5 game at best and nothing more.

EatMyFace

Banned
I didn't hear any REAL complaints about it though. No multiplayer can actually be a good thing.

I plan on picking this up if it ever guess on sale.

Overside

Banned
i think what gets lost in all the negative posts is that the gunplay is actually pretty good?

Its a pretty good encompassing picture of exactly whats wrong with the AAA side industry today.

The gunplay is fine. Great even. Highly polished.

Which is par for the course, a highly polished graphical budget buster, with mechanics refined to mirror like sheen by about 2 decades of doing the same thing with the same controls really well.....

And complete and absolute shit design.

Eternia

next time, don't listen to.people who only watch interviews and trailers and go to every singe thread to shit on a game. those are the people who have nothing else better to do.
There can only be one opinion! If you hate it, you never played it.

EatMyFace

Banned
Even as an MGS fan I think they go overboard with cutscenes. I love it when they're entertaining in themselves but often they're not, with the worst offenders being the codec conversations with people you're standing beside in 2 and mission briefings in 4. The thing is that outside of cutscenes MGS has an abundance of gameplay- different ways to play, great boss fights, replayability, secrets and extras- but even when The Order does let you play it's restrictive and offers no real reason for a second playthrough.
But most people won't even beat the game once, there's stats that prove it.

occelinho

I'm not saying it's a great game, but it is definitiely better than people make it out to be.

Would love to see a (better) sequel, since it got so much potential.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I didn't think it was particularly bad when I started playing it, but it just got so mind numbingly boring that I put it away and have zero intention of ever finishing it. The fact that the story was awful in a game that strives for such a cinematic approach was a big blow for me.

phanphare

Banned
nobody misled you

it's just a game that not very many people like, yet some do

gaf isn't some singular minded thing, it's a forum comprised of many many different voices regardless of any perceived consensuses

gioGAF

Game is enjoyable, but at full price it becomes a slap in the face. I think The Order may find a more forgiving and accepting audience at lower price ranges.

EGM1966

Is it really more cutscenes than gameplay? or was that people bullshitting?
Oh hugely hyperbole bullshit of course.

The game is in fact mostly cover based shooting and said shooting is amongst best around.

The issue that hit the game hard I believe is that it starts really slow and QTE focused with some fairly chunky cut scenes and it doesn't live up to promise of extended non-human combat.

But once you get past the beginning there's only a few cutscenes of any length, most are short vs long periods of gameplay.

I thought it was ok but not great. There's enough there to make you aware it could be great which I believe also annoyed many (arguably fairly enough): you keep thinking "if they'd just nailed this element" as you play through it. Or I did anyway.

Endo Punk

The order is for a very specific subset of people. Not for me personally, but I can recommend it was to some.

Is it possible to be part of that specific subset of people but still not enjoy the game? Or is it a case of the game isn't for you if you didn't like it? I mean I love the games that influenced it and enjoy cinematic adventures. The game isn't some deep complex experience that very few will get. It has the mass appeal bulletpoints except it's not good evident by the sales, critics and silence from Sony and RAD. Of course that doesn't mean people can't enjoy it, because even really bad games can still have their fanbase. It's just sometimes hard for said fans to accept to liking a bad game something film fans have already matured to understand. The Room has a fanbase those fans know they like a terrible film. Maybe it's to do with the difference in pricing.

Top Bottom