• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF you mislead me!! The Order!!

quesalupa

Yeah it's definitely a great experience. Maybe it's not the purest definition of a game, but it was an intense and fun as hell 7 hours.

The game is one of those games I look at and think about all of the effort being put into a single game. The love the developers put into this game is brilliant, and the game itself is one of the best PS4 exclusives out there now IMO.

Also the gunplay is the best I've ever played. So tight and punchy.

Gee

Finished it this weekend after picking it up in a sale. It's a really nice short game (I seriously don't have any problems with the length of the game) to play between 2 big RPG's in my case. I would pickup the sequel if it's made.

Game can be summed up as "meh" to me. Stunning to look at, but boring to play.

Was worth the $6 I spent at Redbox, but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Glad you are enjoying it though, It is definitely an experience worth having and I'm glad I played it despite its floors

ryseing

I enjoyed it. Way too damn short though, and the story was fairly shit with so much missed potential.

Game needed a horde mode or something else replayable to take advantage of the solid gunplay.

breakfuss

Sooo according to some people here if you didn't enjoy The Order you "DIDNT EVEN PLAY IT!" Lol, please. What a stupid argument. It takes all of 8 hours to finish so that won't fly this time.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Horrible game I'm sad to say. Traded it in towards Bloodborne as soon as i finished. Thought about keeping it just for the graphics, to see what I could learn from it but decided to save some bucks in the end.

SiDCrAzY

I just started this game about two days ago, so far it's been an okay experience. I get the same feeling I got when I played Gears of War 3, I was all "gears'd out" by the time that game came and I felt like just rushing through it just for the story. Overall it was enjoyable, but nothing special and by the time Gears of War Judgement came out I was done with the series.

I feel the same way about The Order, even though this is the first time I play it I already feel order'd out, as if I have already played it's two prequels prior to this and although it is somewhat enjoyable I feel I wouldn't be so patient with it if it wasn't for the pretty graphics.

Almighty

I really enjoyed it. If I listened to GAF for game impressions I'd have missed out on so many fun games.

Sadly it works both way it seems. I have played some real mediocre if not down right bad games because GAF loved them. The Order happens to be one of those games for me.

I loved it! I loved the story, the characters, the production values and the satisfying gun-play! I just wish we were given stronger unique guns for longer and that part wasn't so scripted, otherwise – like you I bought it for £25 too – I think it's a solid game with a great story and potential for growth.

Kagutaba

I think it's a better game than Uncharted 1, 2 and 3, honestly.

It does somethings very well, others very poorly; unlike Uncharted 1-3, which I feel are merely decent all around (gunplay, story, protagonist, antagonist, enemy variety etc).

• The Order's weapon-design, the feedback, sounds, hit-detection, and the feel of aiming and using them is top notch.
  • The visuals - the characters, the world, the environment - are stunning.
  • The writing is okay, the voice acting is good, the main character is not insufferable - which always is a plus (sorry Nolan North).
  • The unskipable cut-scenes are a big mistake and the story and the villains comes of as being unfinished.
Overall, The Order: 1886 is an okay game, not bad, not great, flawed, but also kinda interesting.

Other than the graphics and maybe the setting I don't think The Order did a single thing right. Terrible story, terrible writing, bland characters, monsters are barely involved in gameplay, little control during the majority of the game, bad collectibles, no replay value whatesover and bad gunplay. I can't believe people defend the gunplay. There is nothing unique about it. Guns are serviceable with a couple of great ones that get used maybe once in the whole game. The enemies have no variety and are bland with some really shitty A.I. The biggest threat is a guy with massive armor and a shotgun that takes nearly two clips from the basic machine gun to take down. It doesn't matter how tight the shooting feels if there isn't any emotion into the kills.

breakfuss

Sadly it works both way it seems. I have played some real mediocre if not down right bad games because GAF loved them. The Order happens to be one of those games for me.

Haha same. I loved Destiny. Loved Bioshock Infinite. Didn't like. DA:I. Hated all the Souls games. Seems to be a large portion of people who like pineapple pizza, too. But most of the time my tastes seem to align with the majority.

MUnited83

For you.
I liked it. But the ending was crappy sequel-bait, final levels felt rushed. The combat against lycans was darn terrible. And no fights against the vampires? Come oooon.

Game has great potential , thats for sure. A shame it fell short of what could have been

Reebot

So has the narrative now shifted to the The Order being some underdog masterpiece reviled in its own time?

That's cute.

I wanted so badly to like it

But I couldn't.

It was just so boring and clunky feeling. The beginning where you're walking around and the people have zero interaction/reaction with/to you just killed me

antitrop

Solid gunplay, almost everything else about the game puts a dunce cap on it.
Especially that story. That ending. Makes me nauseous thinking about it.

There are a thousand third-person cover shooters with "solid" gunplay, The Order falls nicely into place with bargain-bin, generic TPSs from last-gen.

Like almost EVERY thread here on GAF says how wonderful a game it is. How could you have missed that ? There is honestly zero excuse. The game is good, people know it, GAF knows it, everybody knows it. It is just that there are few zealots who thought that it would be the second coming and got disappointed when they found out it is just a game made by humans.

Haha, what? The majority of opinions, both on GAF and from the media, have been negative. The game has good graphics and mediocre gunplay but everything else is poorly done, from the brain dead Lycan AI to the awful (and numerous) QTEs. If anything, the only "zealots" around here are those who defend this flawed game at every turn due to some sort of persecution complex.

OP, that's cool that you're enjoying the game but it simply wasn't for me. IF there happens to be a sequel RAD has a lot of work to do to earn my money.

gaf isn't some singular minded thing, it's a forum comprised of many many different voices regardless of any perceived consensuses

Yeah, I get annoyed whenever a "but gaf told me ____" comment or thread pops up, as if the forum has one voice.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Posting in an 1886 thread expecting good responses is like dipping your dick in a pool of piranhas expecting a blowjob.

Endo Punk

If the order were to get a sequel I am not convinced it would be done in less time. A lot of the stuff needs to be redone from scratch like encounter design which means bigger levels allowing for better manoeuvrability, redone werewolf encounters and major overhaul on the AI and wolf AI and thats not counting other forms of beastly fights and such. There's a lot to do to right the wrongs and that doesn't make it possible for a 2 year dev time. And when it's all said done will people even be accepting of a sequel that doesn't look as good as a game whose sole hook was its graphics? The Order looks amazing but when I see the game I can't separate the compromises from the visuals. If even a quarter of the compromises were done away with the game wont pull off the amazing visuals but would still look good. Is that enough for the fans?

I held off on it due to feedback from people too but after giving it a go finally I really enjoyed it too. It has weak spots and I don't wanna play through it a second time anytime soon but for what it is, it's really good.

Eggbok

I think the Order is a good game that leaves you wanting a lot more than it gave. It's definitely not the turd people make it out to be, it just haves a lot of things it can do better.

alienator

I played gears of war:judgement for the first time right after i completed The Order..

Makes u appreciate how good The Order is actually.

And no The Order is not without its faults, but its an entertaining title i spend 12 hours with (on hard)

Oh and the content is laughable. In a age of games like Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Bayonetta 2, or even freaking Destiny having a 7 hours long game with NO replay value and NO multiplayer is just a joke if you are going for full retail release

Yeah this is the biggest issue for me.

The game is worth a rental but nothing more.

Is it possible to be part of that specific subset of people but still not enjoy the game? Or is it a case of the game isn't for you if you didn't like it? I mean I love the games that influenced it and enjoy cinematic adventures. The game isn't some deep complex experience that very few will get. It has the mass appeal bulletpoints except it's not good evident by the sales, critics and silence from Sony and RAD. Of course that doesn't mean people can't enjoy it, because even really bad games can still have their fanbase. It's just sometimes hard for said fans to accept to liking a bad game something film fans have already matured to understand. The Room has a fanbase those fans know they like a terrible film. Maybe it's to do with the difference in pricing.

It's mainly due to gamers having a persecution complex. Anytime they like someone that is unpopular they decry everyone else's opinions as wrong instead of excepting that it's a bad game. It was particularly annoying with the order because every kept bringing up that old Bs they call "objective reviews." I can suggest pretty much anything to a specific person though. Still, it's a bad game.

Not without its faults, but an enjoyable experience for what it is. Not quite worth the entry price of a full price new AAA game, but definitely more than bargain bin fodder. I hope there will be a sequel to fix the issues the game had, more focus on the combat and exploration, than just the graphics and story. The combat the game does have is just fantastic, some of the best in a third person shooter, but it's a meagre portion. Atmosphere is spot on and the story is interesting.

A solid 6/10.

It might have been decent if it's hard on for unskippable cutscenes for its bad story would stop interrupting the game.

Made Max Payne 3 seem tolerable.

Betty

Banned
From the first gameplay demonstration Gaffers were voicing their fears which eventually turned out to be founded, nobody misled you.

Fracas

#fuckonami
While the final product had plenty of flaws, it's the closest a game's come to feeling like a movie the player is in control of.

I'm excited to see what a potential sequel could bring.

Eusis

Why are cutscenes a problem though? MGS has plenty of it.

What they need to do is take out the insta-fail QTE stealth sections, the silly lycan trio encounter design and focus on polishing that gunplay.
I think part of it is the period in gaming (people sick of an increasing, slavish drive to be cinematic at the arguable expense of gameplay or at least freedom) and the fact the core gameplay, while some love it, really isn't that distinct. Also that whole business about an unfinished story and the fact if you don't like the story then the drive to focus on that more and more CAN be maddening. MGS wasn't immune from criticism either, people felt that wrecked the second half of MGS4, and MGS1 was not immune from being criticized there even at release.

system11

I liked it, but it was too easy - I completed it on hard mode straight out of the door with only a couple of deaths. Also it gave me a headache because the picture is simply too soft and the DoF doesn't focus on what you want to see in a firefight.

latest

Looks so great!
That looks like 1080pr on Xbox one to me. Dat dynamic resolution.

There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

Top Bottom