• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Splatoon review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
https://youtu.be/1MiaMKHIT3I

7.5/10

Another review:

Pro:

• fun, fresh concept
  • extraordinary setting and character design
  • fair level-up-system
  • very addictive
  • action-packed, modern soundtrack
  • diverse equipment
  • long-term game events and free updates

Con:

• team compilation not always balanced
  • singleplayer (without amiibo) only mediocre, long walking distances
  • areas outside the arenas lack details (lol)

4,5/5 stars (90/100)

Squidsauce

The Guardian
Beautiful and wildly addictive, this joins Mario Kart as one of the finest multiplayer games available.

Hobby Consolas:
90/100:

BEST FEATURES:

· The online stability and the "camouflage" concept allow to have an extremely fun experience.

· The wide range of weapons and clothing to customise our characters.

WORST ASPECTS:

· The initial amount of maps is scarce, although it will be extended free of charge.

· The unbalance among weapons give advantage to the Splat Roller and the Splattershot (and short-range weapons) against the Splat Charger (and other long-range weapons).

-----

GRAPHICS: 91. Developers have worked very well on physics and ink textures/reflexes and there is no lag at all. This is a colour party.

SOUND: 85. The electronic melodies are the most bizarre and hypnotic composition that Minegishi has created. The SFX of the ink is good.

LENGHT: 76. The single player mode is about 7 hours and the online mode is everlasting, but the 5 initial maps are more sushi than octopus.

FUN: 93. Very addictive, fresh and challenging, even though some weapons "dye" more than others. Spurts of adrenalin.

----

"Splatoon is a reason to own a Wii U. It is the most fluid, frenetic and enjoyable online experience along with MK8, only hampered by the initial lack of content and the absence of an online chat. This is an addictive game that will greatly improve with future updates.

(SCAN: http://docdro.id/11myi)

TI82

Banned
I couldn't bear to listen to that guy talk.

Well, I can sum up his opinion if you want.

Game is fun but lacking content.
Amiibo use is not good.
Not worth $60, wait till around $30.
Single player is really lackluster, feels like an afterthought.
Multiplayer is super fun but the lack of easy access to friends or voice chat really bogs it down. Especially when people don't understand the goal of turf zone.
Game controls really great, loves the gyro controls
Best looking game on the Wii U

Er... is this guy legit? I'm several minutes into the video now and so far I don't get the impression at all that he actually has a review copy.

photo.jpg

Just seeing that made me close the video lol
Er... is this guy legit? I'm several minutes into the video now and so far I don't get the impression at all that he actually has a review copy.
"I regret to inform you that a lot of my footage got corrupted so my apologies for the diminished quality and kind of repetitive nature of this video"

ehhhh

Sintoid

Game is fun but lacking content.
Amiibo use is not good.
Single player is really lackluster, feels like an afterthought.
Multiplayer is super fun but the lack of easy access to friends or voice chat really bogs it down. Especially when people don't understand the goal of turf zone.
Game controls really great, loves the gyro controls
Best looking game on the Wii U

Amazon and Gamestop Italy sells the game for 40€ so...

Sakura

He says in the first 20 seconds that he finished the single player campaign and played multiplayer for 20 hours. So unless he is lying...

Forkball

I foresee a lot of 7s. The core mechanics are good and maybe the single player is meaty enough, but the multiplayer doesn't have as much content as expected.

meppi

Jesus, you weren't kidding!

When the first two minutes are used to justify whatever number he ends up putting up for this game and pointing out how many people disagreed with his previous review for game X, you kinda know what you're in for.
Couldn't get past that point myself. :-/

Seems like just some random youtube guy to me. I'll wait to hear what USGamer, Eurogamer and Nintendo Life have to say myself.
And even then, I have this pre-ordered and had a blast with the test fires, so I'm getting it anyway.

Domstercool

He says in the first 20 seconds that he finished the single player campaign and played multiplayer for 20 hours. So unless he is lying...

Depends where he is from. I know some people in UK got a copy on Saturday in the post from certain retail sites.

FZZ

Banned
I mean it wasn't really fun when I played it at E3 last year and everyone here ignored my impressions of it as well lol, thought they would make a lot of changes to the gameplay since then.

Then again this is one review so we'll see. But again I see this as a financial and critical disappointment.

Sendou

I mean it wasn't really fun when I played it at E3 last year and everyone here ignored my impressions of it as well lol, thought they would make a lot of changes to the gameplay since then.

Then again this is one review so we'll see. But again I see this as a financial and critical disappointment.

Since then there has been four chances for everyone to try out just how fun they find it. Judging by the Testfire thread many find it very much so.

delaneya

I don't belive it's real. One hour review and no footage of signal player or any other map then what we got from the test fire .I may of missed the footage tho. I'll find out soon as my copy is out for delivery today.

FZZ

Banned
Since then there has been four chances for everyone to try out just how fun they find it. Judging by the Testfire thread many find it very much so.

I missed all the testfires :/

Will there be a demo at launch I would love to try it out

TI82

Banned
I don't belive it's real. One hour review and no footage of signal player or any other map then what we got from the test fire .I may of missed the footage tho. I'll find out soon as my copy is out for delivery today.

Definitely footage from the single player and him (or someone else) walking around inkopolis.

69wpm

Where is our review thread? Found a written German review. I'll summarise the pro's and con's as I don't have time atm.

Pro:

• fun, fresh concept
  • fair level-up-system
  • very addictive
  • diverse equipment

Con:

4,5/5 stars (90/100)

Squidsauce

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Hmmm....... Random youtube video....

I shall wait upon IGN's review:
7.9 too much splatoon

That's why I'm asking if he's legitimate. I don't know who he is and his style of review seems pretty unpolished, so I'm skeptical.

Sendou

Where is our review thread? Found a written German review. I'll summarise the pro's and con's as I don't have time atm.

Pro:

• fun, fresh concept
  • fair level-up-system
  • very addictive
  • diverse equipment

Con:

Squidsauce

No reason to create a review thread before the embargo is up (5 and half hours still to go). Every review that breaks it is always shit. Every reputable site abides the embargo.

TI82

Banned

Pro:

• fun, fresh concept
  • fair level-up-system
  • very addictive
  • diverse equipment

Con:

4,5/5 stars (90/100)

Squidsauce

Added to the main post, thanks!

No reason to create a review thread before the embargo is up (5 and half hours still to go). Every review that breaks it is always shit. Every reputable site abides the embargo.

Nah, bro. We need to make a thread for the 7.5 score from a random YouTube dude.

Mory Dunz

I'm expecting about a 74 Metacritic especially with the content that hasn't been made yet.

It should really be the most unsurprising review thread in terms of scores, pros, cons, but I suspect a battle will break out anyway.

One thing. Um, "Best Looking Game on Wii U?" in that review?
Not even close. Looks great though.

FZZ

Banned
Not that we know of. Most likely there won't be one.

Damn.

Hope for the best though, I've been very negative on the game but who knows. Maybe its one of those things I don't get but everyone else loves kinda like the Arkham games

TI82

Banned
Damn.

Hope for the best though, I've been very negative on the game but who knows. Maybe its one of those things I don't get but everyone else loves kinda like the Arkham games

I also missed the demos, horrible timing on those. And I was very negative upon first time that game was shown but it's growing on me. Still not worth $60 here in the US though. I'll get it in August when the full game is out for a reasonable price.

I don't expect it to score much higher, it's going to be light on content at dayone.

Well, this one review says it is fun, but lacking in content.

Grr...
when has nintendo ever given a 50% price cut on any of their first party titles? Other than the collapse in Wonderful 101's price, you'll be lucky if this is $50 two years from now

Terrell

Assuming he has the review copy: with other reviewers.

If I recall, there was someone with a review copy in the Testfire thread who said online wasn't turned on for reviewers yet. So unless the guy literally did nothing but play Splatoon in every waking hour, it seems highly unlikely that he's played it as long as he says he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom