• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Splatoon review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm expecting about a 74 Metacritic especially with the content that hasn't been made yet.

It should really be the most unsurprising review thread in terms of scores, pros, cons, but I suspect a battle will break out anyway.

One thing. Um, "Best Looking Game on Wii U?" in that review?
Not even close. Looks great though.

Eh. Best looking game on Wii U is fairly subjective since it's more artstyle than how much they can pull off technically. I can buy that someone would think it's the best looking game on Wii U, though I personally think Smash looks better.

I'm fully expecting a ~75 metacritic. A 6-7 hour campaign + a 2 player versus mode + 2 online modes across 5 maps isn't generally thought to be $60 worth of content, but the core mechanics are fun enough that I doubt it'll be knocked too far down.

If I recall, there was someone with a review copy in the Testfire thread who said online wasn't turned on for reviewers yet. So unless the guy literally did nothing but play Splatoon in every waking hour, it seems highly unlikely that he's played it as long as he says he did.

iirc there's been multiple reports of people with review copies playing Splatoon online in the spoiler thread.

Sendou

If I recall, there was someone with a review copy in the Testfire thread who said online wasn't turned on for reviewers yet. So unless the guy literally did nothing but play Splatoon in every waking hour, it seems highly unlikely that he's played it as long as he says he did.

Oh really? That is surprising to say at least.

goldenpp72

He says in the first 20 seconds that he finished the single player campaign and played multiplayer for 20 hours. So unless he is lying...

0b4.jpg

GG-Duo

Doesn't that sound kinda fake since the IGN and Chris Kohler hinted that the single player levels are quite robust on the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast?

amnesiac

The review in the OP is fine? Dunno why there are so many dislikes. Dude has good reasoning for his criticisms.

From the moment this game was unveiled, it struck me as a $30-$40 game. Surprised it's $60, honestly.

Crema

Interesting video. His point on Amiibo is absolutely spot on. The more they try to get me to buy plastic bits of junk to access content that is on the bloody disc, the more likely I am to just not buy the game.

Hatchtag

Banned
Doesn't that sound kinda fake since the IGN and Chris Kohler hinted that the single player levels are quite robust on the Nintendo Voice Chat podcast?

It being about 6-7 hours is what someone on /v/ leaked a week or two ago, complete with screenshots of their playthrough and info.

Shiggy

Grr...
when has nintendo ever given a 50% price cut on any of their first party titles? Other than the collapse in Wonderful 101's price, you'll be lucky if this is $50 two years from now

Pretty much all Wii U titles... In Europe. I guess sales over here are even more abysmal. That's why Splatoon launches at 39.99€ here.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure most reviews will be along these lines. Excellent mulltplayer with a tacked on SP mode, with some grumbling about the DLC plans.

69wpm

This was my biggest complaint with the game, the multiplayer levels look amazing but some of the single player levels are very empty.

As I understand it they mean the background of the arenas. Those obviously lack details because you can't access them (obviously) and nobody is standing still to look at them. I might be wrong though.

Definitely an afterthought

Please don't think that way, the single player was actually really good in my opinion and not an afterthought, i just wish more of the levels had larger structures like the multiplayer arenas.
After a while flying between smaller cube like structures, whilst it looks great like mario galaxy did, does gets a bit old because so many of the structures in the levels are tiny islands.

As I understand it they mean the background of the arenas. Those obviously lack details because you can't access them (obviously) and nobody is standing still to look at them. I might be wrong though.

You missed have missed the witcher 3 downgrade thread. People have pixel PHDs. GAF analyses everything.

TI82

Banned
Just seems really weird to me to lie about playing a game and make a fake serious review about it.

People do weird things, but it does seem a little farfetched especially since the has other reviews on his youtube.

Please don't think that way, the single player was actually really good in my opinion and not an afterthought, i just wish more of the levels had larger structures like the multiplayer arenas.

I'm assuming you are sticking to the embargo or did you just get an early copy?

Haunted

A random sub-5k Youtuber is the first and only review in the official GAF review thread?

What a world we live in.

I'm assuming you are sticking to the embargo or did you just get an early copy?

No embargo, just got a very early copy.
Finished single player but servers have only just gone up here so i couldn't play much multiplayer other than the test ones nintendo put up.
It has huge potential for a new franchise but like pikmin1 is a little lacking in content, thankfully it seems nintendo is adding stuff post launch so i think it could turn into something really special.
It is very sad to see the amiibo stuff not available to everyone for free though, that really should be free in order to lengthen the single player.

TI82

Banned
That youtube review seemed fair. All the problems were apparent for a very long time.

A shame.

Wow...bombarded with dislikes already.

Yeah, he seemed pretty fair for me. Obviously not as professional as other sources but not that bad. He does have some real dumb shit on his twitter though.

No embargo, just got a very early copy.
Finished single player but servers have only just gone up here so i couldn't play much multiplayer other than the test ones nintendo put up.
It has huge potential for a new franchise but like pikmin1 is a little lacking in content, thankfully it seems nintendo is adding stuff post launch so i think it could turn into something really special.
It is very sad to see the amiibo stuff not available to everyone for free though, that really should be free in order to lengthen the single player.

It's interesting you bring up Pikmin because thats the same idea I've been getting too.

batbeg

The review in the OP is fine? Dunno why there are so many dislikes. Dude has good reasoning for his criticisms.

From the moment this game was unveiled, it struck me as a $30-$40 game. Surprised it's $60, honestly.

Why would it have struck you as a budget title from the moment it was unveiled? That doesn't make any sense unless you equate price to art style or genre.

If he was lying about having the full game, I don't think he'd make a 20 minute, in-depth review about it.

Why not? He's the only "review" online, he's got his own thread on GAF and wherever else, he's gonna be rolling in Youtube hits.

Nobody's ever heard of him and nobody knows who the fuck he is so what has he got to lose?

TI82

Banned
Thanks. We need more of these fresh shooters in the vein of PvZ and Splatoon.

Garden Warfare is such a fun game, loooooooooove it.

Why would it have struck you as a budget title from the moment it was unveiled? That doesn't make any sense unless you equate price to art style or genre.

It was initially revealed as a "garage title" IE smaller downloadable titles correct?

Dryk

The weird thing is that Splatoon is a budget title in Australia. It's coming out at the same price as Rainbow Curse.
EDIT: Nevermind it's just one of the major retailers selling it that cheap, apparently it's not actually a thing.

I didn't have a chance to try the test-fire. But I heard that it can be hard to get a good team composition because you can't change weapons mid-match and you can't see what your allies are using until everything's locked in. Is that true? If so I hope they fix it.

Mdk7

I didn't have a chance to try the test-fire. But I heard that it can be hard to get a good team composition because you can't change weapons mid-match and you can't see what your allies are using until everything's locked in. Is that true? If so I hope they fix it.

Yup, i can confirm that.

Jintor

It was initially revealed as a "garage title" IE smaller downloadable titles correct?

garage refers to the dev process, not to its market cap

that said, I don't know whether splatoon was initially positioned as a $60 game or not; clearly it is now, given the marketing, but who knows

Kouriozan

The weird thing is that Splatoon is a budget title in Australia. It's got the same RRP on release as Rainbow Curse.

It's true and that's not something that can be "fixed" as it's a core gameplay design.
Your best bet would be an improved sequel.

TI82

Banned
garage refers to the dev process, not to its market cap

that said, I don't know whether splatoon was initially positioned as a $60 game or not; clearly it is now, given the marketing, but who knows

Ah okay, didn't know that. I just figured it was a "garage title" like the PSN titles Sony produces, or XBLA titles Microsoft produces. But the fan impressions at e3 were so large they ramped it up. Kind of like how they ramped up the 3DS price based on the E3 reveal.

remz

I think the weapon switching stuff will be pretty different in the finished game from what it was in the testfire

mclem

Actually, I wonder if there's some internal balancing going on, because thinking about it, I think it might have split the roller users evenly per team. It may well have been the case with the other weapon classes, too, but rollers are a lot more noticeable.

Trying to think if there were any battles I had which had a roller-count gap higher than 1.

Dryk

It's true and that's not something that can be "fixed" as it's a core gameplay design.
Your best bet would be an improved sequel.
I don't really mind the mid-match switching, which would be harder to fix. But surely adding in some indication of what people are selecting. I dunno I haven't seen the way the menus are set-up so maybe you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom