• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Splatoon review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathian

Banned
'Definetly' an aferthought? It was announced as an afterthought! SP was added on to bring offline content.

Its an online game, the rest is just extras, any surprised at that needs a head check.

Exile20

'Definetly' an aferthought? It was announced as an afterthought! SP was added on to bring offline content.

Its an online game, the rest is just extras, any surprised at that needs a head check.
Really ,cause a lot of people that actually played, it said it was meaty and really creative.

lol Some random ass dude on YouTube.
lol Some random ass dude on an internet forum.

Hate to single you out, but I find it funny how people are hating on this kid for nonsense.
The review in the OP is fine? Dunno why there are so many dislikes. Dude has good reasoning for his criticisms.

From the moment this game was unveiled, it struck me as a $30-$40 game. Surprised it's $60, honestly.
It's sad that people are probably brushing him aside because of silly reasons like his voice or questioning his critiques when he's being pretty reasonable.

The Nintendo Double Standard

Exile20

It's sad that people are probably brushing him aside because of silly reasons like his voice or viewing his questioning his critiques when he's being pretty reasonable.

Well good thing he is not the definitive review but looks like people are treating it that way to justify their feelings.

Let's wait for more reviews to come in.

Seems like a fair review, im guessing was too much of a task to balance the single player for other weapons within release timeframe, which is why they just did amiibo challenges

Taker666

It's going to get mixed reviews. Some due to people who want voice chat ,others due to the ability to play with friends not coming until later,others who won't like options being limited initially...others who won't get that the point is primarily to paint as opposed to just shoot people.

7.5 is what I'd expect as an average. You're going to get some 6's and some 9's. Some won't be able to cope with it not having online functions that are seen as the norm..others won't care.

Hate to single you out, but I find it funny how people are hating on this kid for nonsense.

It's sad that people are probably brushing him aside because of silly reasons like his voice or questioning his critiques when he's being pretty reasonable.

I mean...you just proved my point. I am just some random ass dude on an internet forum. I don't give a fuck what he or any major publication has to say about any game.

I was just stating the fact that this first Splatoon review is some kid on YouTube that we know nothing about. Embargo is even still up.

It's going to get mixed reviews largely due to some people who want voice chat and ability to play with friends not coming until later.

7.5 is what I'd expect as an average.. you're going to get some 6's and some 9's. Some won't be able to cope with it not having online functions that are seen as the norm..others won't care.
They're not seen as the norm, they are the norm.

Vertti

Well the game is $40 in Finland. I think that's very reasonable. Wonder why it's 20 dollars more in States.

Based on the testfire how it was one game mode and two maps I could played 20 hours easily so the game will be worth it in my opinion.

I agree it won't get superb reviews but my guess it's average on metacritic will be 78-82.

It's going to get mixed reviews. Some due to people who want voice chat ,others due to the ability to play with friends not coming until later,others who won't like options being limited initially...others who won't get that the point is primarily to paint as opposed to just shoot people.

7.5 is what I'd expect as an average. You're going to get some 6's and some 9's. Some won't be able to cope with it not having online functions that are seen as the norm..others won't care.

Yup, but also the lack of content such as modes and maps.

Well good thing he is not the definitive review but looks like people are treating it that way to justify their feelings.

Let's wait for more reviews to come in.
No one is the "definitive review" so maybe I'm not understanding why you bring that up. And justify what feelings exactly?
Fixed

Now stop doing this "because Nintendo" bs.
We already have this comment in about every thread since the dawn of time.
Yeah, that's true, but it hurts me more when it's Nintendo fans giving so many passes for terrible decisions when Nintendo should be the beacon of hope in this industry ;'[
I mean...you just proved my point. I am just some random ass dude on an internet forum. I don't give a fuck what he or any major publication has to say about any game.
My point was to point out that your post was nonsense and added nothing to the discussion.

Jintor

Ah okay, didn't know that. I just figured it was a "garage title" like the PSN titles Sony produces, or XBLA titles Microsoft produces. But the fan impressions at e3 were so large they ramped it up. Kind of like how they ramped up the 3DS price based on the E3 reveal.

well it usually refers to the 'garage title' sort of thing, but since this is an actual program just called Garage and refers more to the dev process of IP creation rather than the scale of production, it's a little different at Nintendo

TI82

Banned
it's pretty easy actually: review what's there in front of you. no decent reviewer reviews the future.

Yeah, at most revisit the game in august and offer your opinion on the new content. But don't ever review for the future lol.

cheesekao

Popular game is released .
Someone gives it a 'just decent' score.
People downplay the reviewer.

Every. Single. Time.

Come on guys.

Taker666

it's pretty easy actually: review what's there in front of you. no decent reviewer reviews the future.

..but plenty of reviewers seem to. Look how many completely buggy games get a pass at launch.

It's a risky tactic for Nintendo to take to be honest..but I suppose they might see a long term stream of hype for new free content outweighing the need for better review scores initially.

if he gave the game a 10/10 he would still be a youtuber nobody heard of kinda strange that people are calling out Nintendo Double Standard here lol

Jintor

..but plenty of reviewers seem to. Look how many completely buggy games get a pass at launch.

It's a risky tactic for Nintendo to take to be honest..but I suppose they might see a long term stream of hype for new free content outweighing the need for better review scores initially.

i refer you to my qualifier

I watched the first four minutes; seemed like a reasonable and in-depth evaluation. No need for folks to get their knickers in a twist.

Raide

Very comprehensive review. Won't be getting the game unless there's a tide of reviews pushing the other way.

A fairly good review for nearly 20 mins. The lack of content and holding some of that content back as DLC and Amiibo fodder is the main thing that puts me off. The overall game looks really fun but making it way harder to group up and communicate with friends puts a massive dampener on the whole thing.

If only Nintendo did not have their weird/backwards YouTube practices because this game needs people playing the game and convincing people it is worth their time and money.

NFreak

I know for a fact this guy does not actually get review copies of the game he reviews. He spreads misinformed opinions based on limited time he's had with games from demos and other means and he steaks footage to try and diversify his videos. This thread should be locked honestly and this guy should not be getting attention.

iKhayal18

The Spanish magazine Hobby Consolas already reviewed Splatoon in their last issue. 90/100:

BEST FEATURES:

· The online stability and the "camouflage" concept allow to have an extremely fun experience.

· The wide range of weapons and clothing to customise our characters.

WORST ASPECTS:

· The initial amount of maps is scarce, although it will be extended free of charge.

· The unbalance among weapons give advantage to the Splat Roller and the Splattershot (and short-range weapons) against the Splat Charger (and other long-range weapons).

-----

GRAPHICS: 91. Developers have worked very well on physics and ink textures/reflexes and there is no lag at all. This is a colour party.

SOUND: 85. The electronic melodies are the most bizarre and hypnotic composition that Minegishi has created. The SFX of the ink is good.

LENGHT: 76. The single player mode is about 7 hours and the online mode is everlasting, but the 5 initial maps are more sushi than octopus.

FUN: 93. Very addictive, fresh and challenging, even though some weapons "dye" more than others. Spurts of adrenalin.

----

"Splatoon is a reason to own a Wii U. It is the most fluid, frenetic and enjoyable online experience along with MK8, only hampered by the initial lack of content and the absence of an online chat. This is an addictive game that will greatly improve with future updates.

TI82

Banned
I know for a fact this guy does not actually get review copies of the game he reviews. He spreads misinformed opinions based on limited time he's had with games from demos and other means and he steaks footage to try and diversify his videos. This thread should be locked honestly and this guy should not be getting attention.

Do you have definitive proof? Because if so I'll delete it.

A fairly good review for nearly 20 mins. The lack of content and holding some of that content back as DLC and Amiibo fodder is the main thing that puts me off. The overall game looks really fun but making it way harder to group up and communicate with friends puts a massive dampener on the whole thing.

If only Nintendo did not have their weird/backwards YouTube practices because this game needs people playing the game and convincing people it is worth their time and money.

Yup. YouTube/Twitch would be huge for this game. Alas.

This is the kind of statement that needs evidence to back it up.

NFreak

Do you have definitive proof? Because if so I'll delete it.

I can't post anything specific right now since I'm on mobile but I'm in the YouTube scene and we have been following this guy pretty closely. He's stolen footage from TotalBiscuit before and has lied through his teeth when dealing with that situation.

He was also asked by GameExplain if he wanted to play online but he dodged them with excuses as to why he couldn't play. If you go back and look at some of his other reviews like Puzzle and Dragons you can see he is clearly using just demo footage most of the time.

Mdk7

Splat Charger is not that powerful and easy to use (even if i've seen people doing CRAZY stuff with it), yet the Roller is not OP at all IMHO.
It's deadly in the short range (like pretty much every shotgun in every shooter), but that's just about it, and on the contrary i think that if you don't use stealth correctly it makes you even more vulnerable than other weapons.

DeaviL

Banned
Popular game is released .
Someone gives it a 'just decent' score.
People downplay the reviewer.

Every. Single. Time.

Come on guys.

Then again, you're saying that in a thread especially made to rub the "mediocre" score into Nintendo fans' faces.

Simbabbad

My point was to point out that your post was nonsense and added nothing to the discussion.
But then, so is yours. His point is that the review isn't much to care about, and your post is about his post not being much to care about.

At least, he's saying we should take a review with a grain of salt, which is a bit more informative than saying we should take a post on a forum with a grain of salt...

Anyway, I loved the game during the (first) testfire and I'm definitely buying this day one, if only to encourage a new original IP, but I wouldn't be surprised if the single player is indeed lacking (it was presented as an afterthought originally, no clue if it really is now).
And apparently, Nintendo has chosen to release the game with few multiplayer arenas and deliver more through updates, so it's no wonder if reviews are lukewarm and lower the score because of content. If indeed the multiplayer is the focus, then it should launch with all free arenas.

I thought about this when they announced those updates, and was annoyed at it: first, it uselessly fills Wii U memory (which has memory issues already) and it was obvious it would negatively influence reviews, they don't review what will be but what is.

TI82

Banned
I can't post anything specific right now since I'm on mobile but I'm in the YouTube scene and we have been following this guy pretty closely. He's stolen footage from TotalBiscuit before and has lied through his teeth when dealing with that situation.

He was also asked by GameExplain if he wanted to play online but he dodged them with excuses as to why he couldn't play. If you go back and look at some of his other reviews like Puzzle and Dragons you can see he is clearly using just demo footage most of the time.

Well, if you can provide definitive proof I'll take it down but until then I'm not going to. If true that's very strange.

OddSockZA

My own review will be up for embargo, so I won't say much - but anybody who hates on the SP hates fun. Other complaints are legit.

Sendou

Splat Charger is not that powerful and easy to use (even if i've seen people doing CRAZY stuff with it), yet the Roller is not OP at all IMHO.
It's deadly in the short range (like pretty much every shotgun in every shooter), but that's just about it, and on the contrary i think that if you don't use stealth correctly it makes you even more vulnerable than other weapons.

Charger very powerful and easy to use. It just requires more strategy and accurate aims than the other weapons.

cheesekao

Then again, you're saying that in a thread especially made to rub the "mediocre" score into Nintendo fans' faces.
There are 3 highly positive reviews in the OP and one decent one. How is that rubbing a 'mediocre' score in Nintendo fan's faces?

Exile20

Amiibos are only 3 sets of skins and using single player stages with a specific weapon. That is all.

You can easily join friends. There is even a wait period for when people leave the lobby so you can join. Simple.

Partying up with friends will come in Aug. What's so hard about it?

YouTube practices? Have you searched splatoon on YouTube yet? Shit ton of videos on there.

Watched twitch? Many many devs took down unreleased games from twitch before, not with this game.

Just because a review is reasonable does not mean it's going to fit the way you play your game

I look for reviewers who fit my tastes but are not afraid to call out shit if the game is shit

If I was going to wait for a review this would be the guy for my gaming tastes
4dNTmwp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom