• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arstechnica hands-on Vive VR [3D controllers standard, no market fragmentation]

Man

Really in-depth and long hands on article. Just published with comparisons to what's announced yesterday at Oculus as well as Morpheus : http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...-world-that-feels-like-an-imax-in-your-house/

The most vital piece of info is the (re?)confirmation that the 3D controllers come packed in as standard which is a huge win:
These controllers have a little in common with Morpheus, which uses the PlayStation Move wands, but again, SteamVR doesn't need users to be right in front of a webcam in order to be tracked in virtual space—and unlike Oculus, which announced its own "Touch" motion controller this week, the SteamVR motion controller will be standard and required, not optional. You really can get up and move anywhere in the playspace, hold SteamVR's controllers to represent your real hands, and manipulate all kinds of stuff in the virtual world.

edit: Some confusion but obviously games are free to use other types of controls.
It just means that 100% of Vive users will also have 3D controllers opening up tons of possibilities which devs can reliably aim for. No fragmentation.
Example video: http://gfycat.com/WideeyedTimelyChafer

They should probably clarify that "required" means it will be packed in with the headset not literally required for all Vive operation.

Nzyme32

It definitely isn't "required" from what I understand, but being backed with the headset will certainly make it default for many games.

Man

After the extremely limited tracking volume of DK2 it's going to be revelation to upgrade to the Vive in November.
The DK1 was actually a much more pleasant experience than the DK2 simply because it didn't have flawed positional tracking that could drop in and out causing sickness.

Unger, in particular, pointed out how long he's been working on his game already. He's got a handle on how moving around in his virtual world will work without making players feel trapped in a "two yoga mat"-sized box. He was hesitant to announce the final game's suite of movement options just yet—and told us to expect an unveil at this August's Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle—but he did hint to one system called "blinking," in which players can point toward an area in The Gallery's virtual world that they'd like to walk to. At that point, the game will black out, then fade back in with players standing in a new place. No sickness, all access.

Okay, this kinda sounds like how FP P&C games are doing it. Also can't wait to hear what they have in store. They've been working on this for a while.

Tobor

The most vital piece of info is the (re?)confirmation that the 3D controllers come packed in as standard which is a huge win:

Well, that makes my mind up.

Sorry Oculus, I'm going with Vive.

Josman

Vive bundling motion controllers while Oculus uses standard Xbone pads? Ha, Vive is going to bury CV1

Even the DS4 includes motion tracking...
Along with not using OpenVR, Oculus is making a lot of mistakes

darkwing

Vive bundling motion controllers while Oculus uses standard Xbone pads? Ha, Vive is going to bury CV1

not to mention Vive is coming this year

mnannola

How does Oculus plan to compete with Vive? I don't understand. Is Oculus going to be a lot cheaper? I think the default experience you are going to get with a Vive is going to be lightyears ahead of the default Oculus experience.

Even if Oculus launches cheaper, having to spend $50+ for the motion controllers, that developers can't even count on since they are not included in the package, is going to ruin the initial value proposition.

fedexpeon

Banned
So oculus is the only one without a default controller? Hmm, I will wait and see which one is more open to devs and modders.

gdt

I mean I get how it will lead to crazy game experiences...but I really don't want to get up and walk around to play or experience games.

I'd have to move my PC to have the space thats for sure.

Nzyme32

I'm still not convinced of this. Outside the console space, I don't think VR is going to get in full swing till the next generation of devices / solutions, when prices are lower and there is a lot more content and idea of what makes a good experience for certain types of products

Griss

Good article. It sounds incredible. That 'blinking' solution is exactly how I would have considered solving the motion problem, too :)

Anyway it's a simple choice for me:

Vive if I have the money to buy a PC for the first time in my life (this is the one thing that would make me do so), or Morpheus if I don't. Oculus is fucking up, and that's without considering my distrust of Facebook.

Helznicht

Eh, depends on the price. If it causes the vive to be more than $100 than the competition, I wouldn't consider it to be a huge at all.

Nzyme32

I mean I get how it will lead to crazy game experiences...but I really don't want to get up and walk around to play or experience games.

You don't have to "get up and walk around" unless the game demands it. So far the SteamVR titles are being designed to work around full-room scale, standing and seated play (at least according to the guys making The Gallery)

Ferrio

Banned

I think that keeping it simple for the first iteration will help with it spreading to the masses. Diving off the deep end with a full setup to start with would scare many away. So I'm glad Rift and Morpheus are doing their own things.

Then you just sit down.

"You can go as small as your desktop, right?" Faliszek says when I press about space requirements for SteamVR. "Be seated, if that’s what you want. Go any space in between. Jokingly, there’s a size we call 'two yoga mats.' Tape them together lengthwise, four feet by six feet. In a living room, four-by-six will fit, and that gives you enough room to react and move."

Eh, depends on the price. If it causes the vive to be more than $100 than the competition, I wouldn't consider it to be a huge at all.

Vive is most likely going to be significantly more expensive than the Rift regardless, because Oculus is going to be selling the Rift for cost - no profit at all. HTC isn't in the software business, that's Valve, so they only make money from hardware sales. So they'll be looking for a profit from every sale. Morpheus might be sold at a loss, to get people to buy software - that's what Sony does.

DirtyLarry

Well, that makes my mind up.

Sorry Oculus, I'm going with Vive.
Yep. It is looking more and more like I will be doing the same thing myself.

Truth be told I was leaning towards Oculus just because it was the first kid on the block, but I go with whatever appears to be the better solution. Right now, it appears as if that will be Vive.

Still have some time though.

Standardized and packed-in 3d controller should have been a requirement for Oculus as well. I'm probably going to choose Vive VR. Oculus dropped the ball with their strategy and presentation yesterday.

GameSeeker

This is great news. Valve is making sound customer decisions, while Oculus is making poor decisions (XBONE controller as standard). Valve really has an opportunity to grab the leadership position in PC based VR gaming.

If Valve can deliver some 1st party VR software alongside strong 3rd party support, they have a good shot at being the market leaders.

Well I think because of Oculus shipping with an xbox controller, the market is already guaranteed to be fragmented. Developers will code their games to be accessible to the widest audience, and I doubt Valve will deny games being made on traditional controllers.

That said, I'm totally down for anything and everything motion control related regarding VR. Vive is winning my heart currently, but the oculus touches seem amazing.

Man

I'm not sure what I would do if Valve announced something like 'Portal Labs' for this November. It would be nirvana.

tuxfool

Banned
Who was it that was complaining that the Vive was too invasive in comparison to Oculus?

The Lighthouse solution is so utterly elegant in comparison to all the others.

Top Bottom