• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arstechnica hands-on Vive VR [3D controllers standard, no market fragmentation]

Business

Would have been a fragmented implementation on the Xbox side of things.

Sure but so it does their recent upgrade, even if I admit it does it in a much less significant way, but still, it was a good chance to do it all in one go.

tuxfool

Banned
Maybe Microsoft should have upgraded the Bone pad with motion tracking now that they updated it with the 3.5mm jack, would have helped their partnership with Oculus.

If you recall, their original plan included controller positional tracking using Kinect (the controller has an ir led in it). Maybe Oculus is going to support that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you recall, their original plan included controller positional tracking using Kinect (the controller has an ir led in it). Maybe Oculus is going to support that?

The LEDs are pretty basic in the XB1 controller though. They're enough for kinect to differentiate controller 1 from controller 2 and approximate position. The main use case presented was to know who is holding each controller, so it would be used in conjunction with kinect skeletal tracking.

I doubt they'd be able to do anything like proper positional tracking, and they don't have gyros for motion tracking. It is a shame - that would have been a great update. I think DS4 on PS4 could do some nice things in VR as a default controller using gyros/positional tracking.

Man

It doesn't have gyros and accelerometers included, no sensor fusion. How it is now is not sufficient for precise 6dof 3D-tracking.
The leds are only assisting the Kinect in seeing where in the point cloud data the controller is located (which also assist the Kinect in separating the players, pointing out appendixes/arms).

tuxfool

Banned
The LEDs are pretty basic in the XB1 controller though. They're enough for kinect to differentiate controller 1 from controller 2 and approximate position. The main use case presented was to know who is holding each controller, so it would be used in conjunction with kinect skeletal tracking.

I doubt they'd be able to do anything like proper positional tracking, and they don't have gyros for motion tracking. It is a shame - that would have been a great update. I think DS4 on PS4 could do some nice things in VR as a default controller using gyros/positional tracking.

Ah yeah. Regardless, the xb1 controller would still have been less than ideal, proper positional tracking or not.

Mononoke

Banned
Do you guys think Vive will have a lot of non-game stuff? My wife really wants to use VR to like, lay down on the couch and just chill on a beach. Or like that aurora borealis demo. She loves gaming, and will use it for that. But she also wants to use it for non-game stuff.

So far I've only heard of Oculus having those things (although I'll admit, I've kept my head in the sand with regards to news on VR, because I couldn't take the wait for it, as I want it so badly). But I assume since they are both PC platforms, a lot of the stuff that came out on early Oculus, will also be on Vive? Sorry if that was a dumb question. My main priority is gaming. So I'm getting Vive now. And I guess since Oculus is being backed by Facebook, maybe it will be more likely in the future, it will have more non-gaming stuff?

But I was just curious, as my wife was asking me, and I don't know. Then again, maybe it's too early to even be asking this question. *slaps head*

tuxfool

Banned
Do you guys think Vive will have a lot of non-game stuff? My wife really wants to use VR to like, lay down on the couch and just chill on a beach. Or like that aurora borealis demo. She loves gaming, and will use it for that. But she also wants to use it for non-game stuff.

So far I've only heard of Oculus having those things (although I'll admit, I've kept my head in the sand with regards to news on VR, because I couldn't take the wait for it, as I want it so badly). But I assume since they are both PC platforms, a lot of the stuff that came out on early Oculus, will also be on Vive? Sorry if that was a dumb question. My main priority is gaming. So I'm getting Vive now. And I guess since Oculus is being backed by Facebook, maybe it will be more likely in the future, it will have more non-gaming stuff?

But I was just curious, as my wife was asking me, and I don't know. Then again, maybe it's too early to even be asking this question. *slaps head*

At this stage it certainly seems the way you say it. It is also very early and video content and the like seem like they would be the kind of media that would be fairly device agnostic so I wouldn't rule out the others having that kind of thing.

When the Vive got announced, Lionsgate, HBO and Google (there are hands-on impressions about Google maps VR) were listed as partners. When Valve sent out the first wave of dev kits, they said among the recipients were film studios. So yes. Also, one of the demos at GDC was a 3D painting app.

Nzyme32

There should be quite a fair bit of stuff as mentioned above. There are studios from film and TV getting involved and others dedicated to this stuff too such as ILMxLab announced just the other day, doing Star Wars stuff being made specifically for VR / AR such as Vive - https://youtu.be/7T9Dv1aLMbw

Marc

Its so weird, I was massively invested in Oculus from the beginning and their decision making has just dragged it to third place for me. Bit harsh considering they essentially made VR a reality, or at least pushed the competition forward... but yeah seems like I won't be buying it now.

This and Morpheus are tied for the moment until we know more IMO, but having proper VR controllers we all hoped for from the start as standard is the right move. Hopefully Sony does the same with some new versions of the move (with sticks).

kyser73

David Attenborough's 'Origins of Life' documentary is launching on GearVR at the Natural History Museum in London, and I would expect this, and similar experiences, will have a big 'presence' in VR.

Top Bottom