• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arstechnica hands-on Vive VR [3D controllers standard, no market fragmentation]

tuxfool

Banned
Well I think because of Oculus shipping with an xbox controller, the market is already guaranteed to be fragmented. Developers will code their games to be accessible to the widest audience, and I doubt Valve will deny games being made on traditional controllers.

That said, I'm totally down for anything and everything motion control related regarding VR. Vive is winning my heart currently, but the oculus touches seem amazing.

Too amazing. Those things are tiny. Where do haptic feedback and power components go?

How does it track without camera? Completely gyro?

Why doesnt Sony do that? I hope the camera/sensor thing is an inexpensive thing.

Man

Small, cheap photon detectors spaced across the VR headset and controllers. Waves of lasers (from lighthouse emitters) scan the room rapidly and they calculate from the time it hits each individual sensor to determine where the laser is coming from. Voila: You have 3D position.
The lighthouse emitters are totally passive as well and only needs to be hooked up to power (or be battery driven). You don't need to interpret images from a video-stream ala Oculus or Morpheus.
Why doesnt Sony do that? I hope the camera/sensor thing is an inexpensive thing.
It was a breakthrough invention unveiled by Valve in March.
They are opening up the standard for everyone to use (like USB etc). The PS5 and maybe even Oculus 2nd gen could use this.

jediyoshi

Tracked the same way the headset is. The sensors are on the head of the controller, picks up lasers from the base stations. It's the reverse of the Oculus (webcam = sensor, picks up ir lights on the headset), and much more scalable and less prone to occulsion as a result.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Who was it that was complaining that the Vive was too invasive in comparison to Oculus?

The Lighthouse solution is so utterly elegant in comparison to all the others.

But the Rift camera stand is invisible. It just disappears so you can't talk about it as though it was there.

Sky Chief

Vive is most likely going to be significantly more expensive than the Rift regardless, because Oculus is going to be selling the Rift for cost - no profit at all. HTC isn't in the software business, that's Valve, so they only make money from hardware sales. So they'll be looking for a profit from every sale. Morpheus might be sold at a loss, to get people to buy software - that's what Sony does.

I don't think the price difference will be that significant. Specs of the headsets are almost identical but Oculus forces you to also purchase headphones and a controller that is the same as what everyone who owns a PC already has. Even with the included controllers I think the cost of manufacturing each will be about the same.

I agree that HTC will want to make more profit but I doubt the actual pricing will be more than $50-100 different and I think it is extremely likely that a Vive setup will be less than buying an Oculus CV1 and Touch.

I'm basically foaming at the mouth over here reading this.

Between this and the Oculus presentation yesterday, I don't see how I would be able to choose Oculus over Valve.

Just gotta get final package deets. I wanna see the receipts.

vive it is. am i misreading or it's definitely possible to just use the headset and a kb/m for certain potential programs? or their controllers only?

border

I don't think the price difference will be that significant. Specs of the headsets are almost identical but Oculus forces you to also purchase headphones and a controller that is the same as what everyone who owns a PC already has. Even with the included controllers I think the cost of manufacturing each will be about the same.

I agree that HTC will want to make more profit but I doubt the actual pricing will be more than $50-100 different and I think it is extremely likely that a Vive setup will be less than buying an Oculus CV1 and Touch.

While not explicitly discussing price, they have pretty much telegraphed the message that "Yes, we are going to be the most expensive option on the market".

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/reality-check-htc-on-whether-vr-is-going-to-change-the-world/0146901

“We want to deliver the most premium VR experience the world has seen. That’s not marketing speak, but more about where Vive is positioned in the market. This is at the high end,” Gattis says.

“Starting with the premium experience, even if it has a slightly higher price point, is the right thing to do from a strategic point of view. The price can always come down as the market grows. We know there is some pent up demand there, so there’s not so much price sensitivity early on. But to get the broader consumer adoption we’re all hoping for, the industry will have to drive price down to make it more accessible.”

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well I think because of Oculus shipping with an xbox controller, the market is already guaranteed to be fragmented. Developers will code their games to be accessible to the widest audience, and I doubt Valve will deny games being made on traditional controllers.

And that will be the problem of Oculus, not Vive's, as every PC gamer has traditional controllers, so if the game requires it (being developed with Oculus in mind) it's not an issue. While the games developed with Vive in mind will be optimized for motion controllers that come packed in with Vive.

Siphorus

Maybe it's just me, but I just want kb/m with a vr headset on pc games. The motion controllers interest me, but I'm primarily a multiplayer gamer so I don't consider them too viable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
While not explicitly discussing price, they have pretty much telegraphed the message that "Yes, we are going to be the most expensive option on the market".

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/reality-check-htc-on-whether-vr-is-going-to-change-the-world/0146901

“We want to deliver the most premium VR experience the world has seen. That’s not marketing speak, but more about where Vive is positioned in the market. This is at the high end,” Gattis says.

“Starting with the premium experience, even if it has a slightly higher price point, is the right thing to do from a strategic point of view. The price can always come down as the market grows. We know there is some pent up demand there, so there’s not so much price sensitivity early on. But to get the broader consumer adoption we’re all hoping for, the industry will have to drive price down to make it more accessible.”

The beauty of it is that if they manage to launch in November they will be the first on the market and have the whole market for them for about 3 months so the price won't be such an issue (if the gap is not huge). The early adopter are enthusiasts anyhow. If the launch goes well I guess they could even afford to reduce the price once Oculus comes into play.

Nzyme32

Finally read through it all; great article, lots of insight into how they view things. Some of those games are sounding incredible. I hope room-scale can become the norm, offering the flexibility to do what ever you want, whether seated, standing or walking and snooping around

Sky Chief

Maybe it's just me, but I just want kb/m with a vr headset on pc games. The motion controllers interest me, but I'm primarily a multiplayer gamer so I don't consider them too viable.

Have you played a lot of VR games? You can do that if you want but IMO is usually a horrible experience because first of all you can't see the keyboard at all and it's easy to get disoriented and secondly (for me at least in most games) it causes VR sickness because the world is moving around you while you remain stationary.

And that will be the problem of Oculus, not Vive's, as every PC gamer has traditional controllers, so if the game requires it (being developed with Oculus in mind) it's not an issue. While the games developed with Vive in mind will be optimized for motion controllers that come packed in with Vive.

While one may think PC gamers already have traditional controllers...boy you should see the complaints when you release a Steam game that requires one. People bitch and moan that they have to buy a $50 controller to play your $10 game.

Man

I say $499 will be the price. Firstly because they can (assuming November, early-adopter market) and secondly because the box has a ton of hardware.

Sky Chief

Morpheus will also have motion controllers from the get go so Oculus will be the odd man out

border

The beauty of it is that if they manage to launch in November they will be the first on the market and have the whole market for them for about 3 months so the price won't be such an issue (if the gap is not huge). The early adopter are enthusiasts anyhow. If the launch goes well I guess they could even afford to reduce the price once Oculus comes into play.

I doubt that they will be able to produce headsets in such volume that they can really lower prices quickly. While VR in and of itself has pretty great appeal, the number of early adopters with a monster PC and a willingness to drop $400-$500 on a headset is probably really tiny.

Though if you want to read that quote somewhat cynically maybe the plan is to just gouge early adopters since they will pay any price, then scale down the expense once competition arrives.

Hale-XF11

Between lighthouse and the packaged controllers, the only reason left for me to get a Rift over a Vive is exclusive software. However, Vive sounds like a more future proof experience because of lighthouse's room tracking ability and I doubt there will be a shortage of awesome software to experience with Vive in the next year. I'm definitely leaning towards Vive. Now it just comes down to cost of entry.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
While one may think PC gamers already have traditional controllers...boy you should see the complaints when you release a Steam game that requires one. People bitch and moan that they have to buy a $50 controller to play your $10 game.

I don't think the number of games that will not be playable with the kb/m will increase too much because of VR. Developers are aware about the fact that this still the default control method for PCs.

But this has no impact on the market fragmentation.

jmga

Don't think so, it has to have a power source

OLOeRxT.png

Armaros

Oh yeah, sorry, thought the conversation was about Lighthouse

The lighthouse need power but doesn't need a connection to a PC.

And there have been examples of lighthouse being shown powered with batteries but I have no idea if that will be a thing for the final version or just dev tinkering.

rexor0717

I was already going with Vive, now just have to wait and see what the pricing will be. Seems like no one wants to go first.

They should probably clarify that "required" means it will be packed in with the headset not literally required for all Vive operation.

Yeah, that did concern me.

I want to be able to use a standard Xbox/Steam gamepad for operation that doesn't require specialized controls.

There are plenty of games that are going to be VR enabled that will probably only really work with a standard controller.

Between lighthouse and the packaged controllers, the only reason left for me to get a Rift over a Vive is exclusive software.

Dudes, I'm telling you. There's no way they'll be able to totally enforce device-specific games. There's just no way for them to keep us from getting around it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Have they released the recommended specs for the Vive? I know for sure I will need a CPU/Motherboard and RAM upgrade. I'm more curious about my current GPU.

Man

Have they released the recommended specs for the Vive? I know for sure I will need a CPU/Motherboard and RAM upgrade. I'm more curious about my current GPU.
They have said they need to have a broad market first-and-foremost and won't require insane PC's. They have been more conservative on hardware requirements than Oculus it seems.

tuxfool

Banned
Don't think so, it has to have a power source

It can be battery powered.

Edit: beaten. It also has very flexible placement as the lighthouse basestations just produce light and require no communication. In theory you can also expand the room size just by adding more stations (interview with the lighthouse architect):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrsUMEbLtOs

For anybody who is uncertain as to how it works, that video is highly recommended.

Man

This quote from the article is making me hopeful for November:
Reps at the October meeting that Schwartz and Unger attended stated otherwise. The SteamVR-powered HTC Vive would enable the same kind of full-room VR play. It would launch for general consumers by the end of the next year, Valve said, and they wanted new experiences built for it.

"HTC came and explained what they’d done previously with other partners, how quickly they can actually work, how reliably they can hit their marks, in terms of release dates," Unger said. "At that point, leaving that mini-conference, we thought, 'this is gonna get real, and it’s gonna get real really fast.'"

Top Bottom