• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

95% of women who've had abortion don't regret it, study

Status
Not open for further replies.

T'Zariah

Banned
The conclusion comes after a three-year research period involving nearly 670 women of all social backgrounds

Ninety-five percent of women who have had abortions do not regret the decision to terminate their pregnancies, according to a study published last week in the multidisciplinary academic journal PLOS ONE.

Its conclusions come after a three-year research period in which nearly 670 women were regularly surveyed on the subject of their abortions. The sample group was diverse with regard to standard social metrics (race, education, and employment) and on the matter of what the study calls pregnancy and abortion circumstances. Financial considerations were given as the reasons for an abortion by 40 percent of women; 36 percent had decided it was “not the right time;” 26 percent of women found the decision very or somewhat easy; 53 percent found it very or somewhat difficult.

The authors of the study concluded that the “overwhelming majority” of the women participating in the study felt that abortion had been the right decision “both in the short-term and over three years.”

These results offer a statistical retort to the claim that women who have abortions suffer emotionally as a result, as anti-abortion campaigners claim. Previous studies cited in support of this claim, researchers said, “suffer from shortcomings, leaving the question of women’s post-abortion emotions unresolved.”

The new study is careful to avoid generalities. It discerns between having lingering emotions after an abortion and regretting the abortion altogether — two distinct responses that pro-lifers tend to conflate — and concludes that post-abortion emotional reactions are normal, but almost inevitably taper over time, and that ultimately, very few women altogether regret terminating their pregnancies.

http://time.com/3956781/women-abortion-regret-reproductive-health/

Welp.

I guess that's that.

RedShift

Something tells me the figure for women who don't is considerably less than 95%

Edit: Yeah maybe that was a bit harsh

collige

Banned
I'm not surprised at all like this. The assertions of emotional trauma have always seemed like pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo to me.

It doesnt matter what they think. It only matters what people who dont know them think about it.

Thats what a woman's decision should be guided by. People who have nothing to do with her life.

The whole abortion "controversy" is silly to me. Its none of your business people.

I remember in Catholic school we were told women who had abortions had a really high suicide rate (like 50% or something absurd like that) and it left them emotionally scarred for life.

Even back as a kid I knew that didn't really sound right.

I think a lot of the emotional issues anti-abortion supporters always push are actually more from the social stigma, and not the actual procedure. Which means it's a self fulfilling issue.

slit

I remember in Catholic school we were told women who had abortions had a really high suicide rate (like 50% or something absurd like that) and it left them emotionally scarred for life.

Even back as a kid I knew that didn't really sound right.

I think a lot of the emotional issues anti-abortion supporters always push are actually more from the social stigma, and not the actual procedure. Which means it's a self fulfilling issue.

These are the same kind of people who tried to claim that studies proved that women who aborted were at much higher risk for breast cancer.

Don't look for logic in it.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I would love to compare this to numbers on women who regret having their most recent child. Someone should do this for science.

Future

Of course they don't. You gotta be in the right mindset to want to have a kid. The idea that the mere act of fertilization can put you in that mindset immediately is so ridiculous it hurts.

I wish I could see the world 1000 years from now. The conversation will have shifted away from stupid morality arguments like this and move towards genetic modification, test tube pregnancies so the woman doesn't need to go through body changes, And much more interesting shit

dramatis

It's probably not that high, though I hope it is.. Too much bias and terrible selection methods in this study to actually mean anything.
What do you consider is biased about this study? OP seems to indicate that there was a relatively diverse selection of individuals.

I'm not surprised that this is the figure when it comes to the question of "Do you regret?" People tend to answer this question with a "No" even in situations that have turned out to have been difficult.

Wiktor

Well..I assume most women are fully capable of making decision informed enough to know that they won't regret it. Otherwise they wouldn't do it.
I wonder how much of the remaining regretful 5% did the abortion because of external pressure of boyfriends/family.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Something tells me the figure for women who don't is considerably less than 95%

Edit: Yeah maybe that was a bit harsh

I mean, the statement isn't worth anything more than snark, but it probably is true. Just kind of a funny thing to say/think about.

Trey

The study.

Women experienced decreasing emotional intensity over time, and the overwhelming majority of women felt that termination was the right decision for them over three years. Emotional support may be beneficial for women having abortions who report intended pregnancies or difficulty deciding.

This makes intuitive sense to me. An arborition is a clean break generally. Aside from any medical complications resulting thereof, you won't be reminded of your abortion very often throughout the rest of your life. And if the idea to have children strikes you, you can always get pregnant again (of course, barring any medical complications).

On the other side of that, having a kid is something you'll deal with for the rest of your life. Plenty, plenty moments to fall into regret there, even in the midst of loving your child. And there are no mulligans in this situation.

But to be fair, I only read the abstract.

Syncytia

It's probably not that high, though I hope it is.. Too much bias and terrible selection methods in this study to actually mean anything.

Where do people come up with this? Someone always brings something like this up.

Please point out the bias and terrible selection methods. Do you have a problem with the way participants were selected? Or how they were excluded? The demographics of the participants?

snap0212

What do you consider is biased about this study? OP seems to indicate that there was a relatively diverse selection of individuals.
What I find weird is this line: "Overall, 37.5% of eligible women consented to participate[...]". (Last paragraph 'Sample and procedures') You'll obviously find more people willing to talk about something they don't regret doing.

I find the number to be incredibly high, which is a very good thing, but I don't believe the percentage is quite that high.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wouldn't 95% say it was a bad thing?

I live where there are billboards for miles and miles that have pictures of babies and they're all anti-abortion. They may belong to all the farmers, but they pay to put them up there.

Of course, people love babies. Anyone with a child, who is presumably happy, loves their child. They wouldn't have wanted an abortion. duh

2 women walk into a store with their cute baby while 1 sits there from an abortion. America ladies and gents.

I'm all for choice, but studies show depression and jealousy are real too.

guek

Banned
Well, yeah. You have an abortion, you may mourn afterwards, but you don't really have anything in your life to remind of the fact that you had an abortion, so why would most people regret the decision?

Some people regret having kids but you usually have to live with that decision for years..

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
95% is a really large number for any group to agree upon anything in a study..... I need to see the data on the group that consisted of the 670 women.

Zoe

Well, yeah. You have an abortion, you may mourn afterwards, but you don't really have anything in your life to remind of the fact that you had an abortion, so why would most people regret the decision?

Some people regret having kids but you usually have to live with that decision for years..

Having to review your medical history could do that.

How did they control for cognitive dissonance, though?

They're probably a part of the 62.5% who declined to participate.

OctoMan

Banned
Where do people come up with this? Someone always brings something like this up.

Please point out the bias and terrible selection methods. Do you have a problem with the way participants were selected? Or how they were excluded? The demographics of the participants?
The women who had to get abortions had to consent to participate in this study. That will likely lead to biases. The women who potentially regret abortion would presumably be less likely to consent to such a study. Why would you want go be constantly reminded of your regret?

It's a meaningless study. It'll be nice for some headlines but that's about it. I can't think of a good way to handle this.

Platy

I'm not surprised that this is the figure when it comes to the question of "Do you regret?" People tend to answer this question with a "No" even in situations that have turned out to have been difficult.

I know more than one friend who had an abortion and they don't regret, even in you consider how difficult and ... ILEGAL the procedure was.

If you search so hard something to do with your body it is hard to regret since it is not a momentary decision that you can change your mind the next day

The women who had to get abortions had to consent to participate in this study. That will likely lead to biases. The women who potentially regret abortion would presumably be less likely to consent to such a study. Why would you want go be constantly reminded of your regret?

It's a meaningless study. It'll be nice for some headlines but that's about it. I can't think of a good way to handle this.

...because you can help people to don't suffer like you did ?

Also ... Constantly is kinda exaggeration since don't look like they meet more than once each year =P

Syncytia

What I find weird is this line: "Overall, 37.5% of eligible women consented to participate[...]". (Last paragraph 'Sample and procedures') You'll obviously find more people willing to talk about something they don't regret doing.

I find the number to be incredibly high, which is a very good thing, but I don't believe the percentage is quite that high.

That's not how selection works. They don't go, "here's the study and we want to know if you regret your abortion, do you want to participate?" It's more like, "Were doing a long term 3 year study about the emotional impacts of women seeking abortions, agreeing to participate does not require you to get an abortion and you may stop participating in the study at any time." It isn't like they found a list of women who had abortions and called them up to ask if they regretted their decision.

A lot of people really just don't want to take time out of their day to do a survey, much less participate in a 3 year study.

dramatis

These were the study requirements, right above the line you found weird:
Participant recruitment is described elsewhere [4, 17]. Women presenting for pregnancy termination were eligible if they were English- or Spanish-speaking, ≥15 years old, and had a pregnancy with no known fetal anomalies. Facility staff gave potential participants the informed consent form and connected them by telephone to study staff, who read a consent script, answered questions, and obtained verbal consent over the phone. The participant gave a signed consent form to facility staff, who faxed it to a confidential fax line to the research director. Signed consent forms were sent via FedEx and logged and stored in the research office, separate from participant data or contact information. Administrative procedures required confirmation of paper copy receipt of consent form before interview, which took place at one week after consent. Written parental or guardian consent was obtained for minors seeking abortion in states where parental consent was required for abortion care. In states where parental consent for abortion was not required by law, minors consented to participate in the study themselves. However, in these cases, facility staff first conducted a screening to assess the minor’s ability to consent for herself and her understanding of the potential risks to her in the context of her own life. Because we anticipated that relatively few women would meet Turnaway eligibility criteria and to maximize power for primary analyses, we enrolled twice as many participants into the reference group, Near-Limit, as into the Turnaway or First-Trimester groups.
Further above that they talked about the differences between the groups they tested and whatnot, but I think it's safe to say "eligible if they were English- or Spanish-speaking, ≥15 years old, and had a pregnancy with no known fetal anomalies" is fairly broad.

It's also a three year study, so it's not like everyone might be jumping at the chance to commit (however minimal the effort) to the study.

snap0212

That's not how selection works. They don't go, "here's the study and we want to know if you regret your abortion, do you want to participate?" It's more like, "Were doing a long term 3 year study about the emotional impacts of women seeking abortions, agreeing to participate does not require you to get an abortion and you may stop participating in the study at any time." It isn't like they found a list of women who had abortions and called them up to ask if they regretted their decision.

A lot of people really just don't want to take time out of their day to do a survey, much less participate in a 3 year study.
Are you implying that people are just as likely to talk about traumatic events as they are about things that were not traumatic to them? Because that was my point.

Mrmartel

Banned
95% is a ridiculously high number. Something about this study is suspect. BS detector is going off. I'll read into it more.

Edit* beaten

dramatis

95% is a really large number for any group to agree upon anything in a study..... I need to see the data on the group that consisted of the 670 women.
Here you go.
3iB0VU2.png

Winter John

Well good. There are far too many unwanted kids in the world and far too many people who think they have a divine right to stick their noses into other people's business

Out of the people I know closely that have had them, both people regretted it.
I don't really buy into most studies anymore, whereas use to think they were fact when I was younger, going to college, examining studies and creating them, its interesting on how far a few words can throw a whole study off.

JeanGrey

I believe in the right to choose. You can judge a woman who has an abortion because you are not them. Everyone has their story.To many unwanted children already exist.

I don't agree to use an abortion as birth control. I know people who has had at least 4 in less than five years . To me thats just disgusting and that person should just get their tubes tied.

Life is precious and a baby is life. If you know you dont want one then prepare in advance and prevent it if you can. Now 4 in five years. You're just nasty.

As for 95% that is ridiculous and someone made a mistake counting. I know a few people that have regretted their decision. Its a decision not to be taken lightly.

Trey

I don't agree to use an abortion as birth control. I know people who has had at least 4 in less than five years . To me thats just disgusting and that person should just get their tubes tied...Now 4 in five years. You're just nasty..

Sometimes you can't control it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
People are amazing at justifying their own actions to themselves. It's an important coping mechanism even for things that you massively regret at first. If you're not reminded of it on a daily basis, it fades away, and you justify it to yourself one way or the other.

dramatis

As for 95% that is ridiculous and someone made a mistake counting. I know a few people that have regretted their decision. Its a decision not to be taken lightly.
How is it ridiculous? It's not like 100% didn't regret their decision. The "few people" you know would be part of the 5% that regretted having an abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom