• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

95% of women who've had abortion don't regret it, study

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest stage you can get an abortion in the United States is 24 weeks, or 6 months.

Just putting this out there: my sister was born prematurely at 6 months because of health issues. She was in intensive care for months but made it through.

A 6 month old baby is fully developed human. Just because you killed it inside a womb is legal? Its murder.

3. You say "Fuck with a condom on, for fuck's sales!", however you are missing one major caveat: Shit happens. Rape, influence of substances (such as drugs or alcohol, whether in a date rape context or not), regretted decisions, condom broke, condom is defective some other way, or even the fact that condoms are technically not 100% effective, same goes for birth control short of tube tying. Some people either realize later they made bad decisions, got unlucky, or worse were a victim. There is a way to give them a second chance here, and it is still the woman's body, so why not give them that chance?

I realize that. Thats why I said there's a lot of grays and can't argue against some important issues. It's the priviledged and educated kids who conciously had unprotected sex that get to me the most. Fuck this. I'm not commenting here again. I'm only getting upset.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
How did they control for cognitive dissonance, though?

Why would they have to? Lack of regret is lack of regret, regardless of how you arrive there.

We can make peace with and adapt to all kinds of choices in life, sometimes (but not necessarily) through cognitive dissonance. Abortion isn't an exception.

Just putting this out there: my sister was born prematurely at 6 months because of health issues. She was in intensive care for months but made it through.

A 6 month old baby is fully developed human. Just because you killed it inside a womb is legal? Its murder.

What you mean to say is that it is viable outside the womb. A 6 month old fetus is not a fully developed human in any sense of the word.

Lamel

Banned
Very interesting results. Stronger than I expected, mainly because women are so often criticized for this decision - I assumed that pervasive criticism would lead to self doubt.

Hylian7

I realize that. Thats why I said there's a lot of grays and can't argue against some important issues. It's the priviledged and educated kids who conciously had unprotected sex that get to me the most. Fuck this. I'm not commenting here again. I'm only getting upset.

And I also said people make mistakes. What difference does it make?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Very interesting results. Stronger than I expected, mainly because women are so often criticized for this decision - I assumed that pervasive criticism would lead to self doubt.

When we think abstractly about the concept of a woman who has had an abortion, we tend to overestimate the impact that single event will have on her psychology and life. In actuality, her life is full of other experiences, just like any life, and eventually she is likely to forget the trauma (if there was any) of the abortion and just move on. She'll remember the fact that she had it, but it won't have a powerful emotional component. Maybe if she was personally harassed about it daily, it would lead to self-doubt and guilt and all that. For most people that won't be the case.

Moza

Once someone has the will to kill their own child then there really isn't anything that could surprise me so how shocking could it be that there isn't regret?
Most people who would feel regret wouldn't have had the abortion in the first place.

Zoe

Well, considering nearly half the respondents already had a previous abortion, they likely would have already been through all of that.

Lamel

Banned
When we think abstractly about the concept of a woman who has had an abortion, we tend to overestimate the impact that single event will have on her psychology and life. In actuality, her life is full of other experiences, just like any life, and eventually she is likely to forget the trauma (if there was any) of the abortion and just move on. She'll remember the fact that she had it, but it won't have a powerful emotional component. Maybe if she was personally harassed about it daily, it would lead to self-doubt and guilt and all that. For most people that won't be the case.

Well, considering nearly half the respondents already had a previous abortion, they likely would have already been through all of that.

Yeah, very valid points. I suppose how the media portrays it leads one to think that it is an insurmountable issue for many, but in all honestly I imagine it is just like any other medical procedure and with time the trauma goes away.

A smart move to leave if this gets you upset. This is a very sensitive subject and because of that, arguments should be well crafted. Yours were not.

Interesting study. Not exactly surprising most women who get abortions don't regret it. But the emotion is probably still rough, no matter what.

Ashes

Banned
Sounds about right.

Though, I'd qualify the 'don't regret' part. Some people tend to move on fine. Others tend to think of the lost foetus as a child that could have been. Which to my mind is regret. Even if the conscious mind goes on to still think they made the right choice, which is usually due to it not being the right time or for financial reasons.

The danger here is that we make it sound as if there are no regrets, full stop. So anyone can go on and live their lives. I'd like to see a longer term study personally.

I still do think that it is 'taking a life that could have been,' which is somewhat different to just millions of sperms in your balls, or the monthly egg in your ovary.

kswiston

A 6 month old baby is fully developed human.

It is not. Within 30-40 years, we will likely be able to raise embryos to full term in artificial wombs. Does that mean that blastocysts will be fully developed humans at that point?

That said, I don't believe that abortion should be legal in the later parts of the second trimester unless the mother is at risk.

Sorry, but she wouldn't have survived except for modern medicine. So that's what you should be thanking for having a wonderful sister still around, not that other thing that didn't give a shit.

Tomita

Sometimes the condom fails. Sometimes the birth control fails. Sometimes she's in an abusive relationship; feels she can't do it alone. Sometimes she's raped. Sometimes having the baby to term will hurt her body too much, could disable her. Sometimes she can't afford to lose her job--and she most certainly will get fired. Sometimes being pregnant, giving birth, and/or giving the baby away for adoption can emotionally scar her.

So please, understand, it's not easy to just have the kid anyway or give them up for adoption. So we need to give women choices. A select few of these women will have abortions "selfishly" and in ways you disagree.

Deal with it.

It's not an easy choice so it's good to remember it effects women differently. But I can see someone having a difficult time with the experience but still not, ultimately, "regretting it" (in regards to this survey).

RM8

Why? What is wrong with not regretting an informed decision someone made about their own bodies?

Damn women should always feel guilt and shame right?
Of course because MURDERRRR. I guess some people think abortion is a thing that only irresponsible, immoral women choose to have. On the last possible day, to ensure they're MURDERING a human being, of course.

I've seen things posted on 4chan that made my soul hurt regarding abortion. I'll spare any postings of it but if people saw that first hand, everyone would be anti abortion.

RM8

I've heard that 99.9% of men who wore a condom don't regret it. What is this madness?
This is news, I'm guessing, because "OMG YOU'LL REGRET IT!" is a common scare tactic used by people who oppose abortion. I remember the case of a girl here in Mexico, ages ago (back when I was a kid), who was raped and then scared into not getting an abortion, it was a hot topic for a while.

If people saw that first hand, they'd wear a condom. Wait... what do you mean by "people"? Do you mean "women"?

Everyone, there's disturbing gifs of doctors poking intact fetuses after removal and having them flail around in response. Regardless of what may be considered a viable human that shit shook my view on the matter.

Why? What is wrong with not regretting an informed decision someone made about their own bodies?

Damn women should always feel guilt and shame right?

Hey, getting pregnant is normally something you can choose. I don't think abortion is ever the right course of action. My heart goes out to the women who had no choice, I'm not saying it's up to them to raise the child when they can't later. An acquaintance I knew had that situation where it wasn't her choice, she had the baby still. I don't know if she chose to raise it herself or not, she moved on so I wasn't able to keep up. Either way I don't think killing someone else is ever right. The line of logic where we go "it's her or my body" is understandable in of itself, but a baby also happens to have it's own body. Just because it requires the mother to sustain it... just like we still require outside means to sustain our bodies after birth... doesn't make it ok to axe a baby.

Do I think all people who abort are irresponsible or immoral RM8? Their lifestyle very well could be amazing and far surpass mine, but I do think they made at least one irresponsible or immoral decision.

Tesseract

Banned
good for them, the little buggers are parasites

Are you seriously telling me that an 8month old baby isn't murder just because he was killed inside the womb?

Murder is never good. But I can't sit here and point my finger at a poor mother of 5 and go "you should have that baby and raise it!" and move on. That's why I can understand why some people are cornered to do it. But I can't forgive a more fortunate woman who fucked up and is willing to murder a perfectly healthy baby instead of having it and give it to adoption (I'm serious how high in demand are newborn baby's for adoption. Adopting grown kids is the problem).

People, especially the more fortunate ones, should take responsibility for their actions. Fuck with a condom on, for fuck's sales!

nobody should care what you choose to forgive, it ain't your body (or parasite)

RM8

Do I think all people who abort are irresponsible or immoral RM8? Their lifestyle very well could be amazing and far surpass mine, but I do think they made at least one irresponsible or immoral decision.
Well, they're in good company, I guess. I'm not a woman, but I won't ever judge a woman who decides to have an abortion. If the scientific consensus is that the fetus is not a conscious being before a determined point, I'm 100% for abortion before that happens. Would I prefer if people would avoid unwanted pregnancy? Well, duh, but good luck making that happen. People will have irresponsible sex, and that's why abortions and STIs will be a thing forever, everywhere in the world and for the rest of human history. Honestly, arguments against abortion tend to be of the emotional kind. I would probably feel awful if I watched an abortion, I'd be incredibly upset if I saw a destroyed fetus - but those negative feelings don't make for good arguments, IMO.

Tomita

Everyone, there's disturbing gifs of doctors poking intact fetuses after removal and having them flail around in response. Regardless of what may be considered a viable human that shit shook my view on the matter.

lol cause that's totally the woman's fault and what she wants to happen to her aborted fetus.

Wow man that's a new one for me. Your only argument here should be that doctors should be better trained in this shit. (If this is even something that happens more than 1% of the time. Because, 4chan.)

Well, they're in good company, I guess. I'm not a woman, but I won't ever judge a woman who decides to have an abortion. If the scientific consensus is that the fetus is not a conscious being before a determined point, I'm 100% for abortion before that happens. Would I prefer if people would avoid unwanted pregnancy? Well, duh, but good luck making that happen. People will have irresponsible sex, and that's why abortions and STIs will be a thing forever, everywhere in the world and for the rest of human history. Honestly, arguments against abortion tend to be of the emotional kind. I would probably feel awful if I watched an abortion, I'd be incredibly upset if I saw a destroyed fetus - but those negative feelings don't make for good arguments, IMO.

Fair, but at the same time the "Oh but what if she was raped or its incest or themother will die" emotional attack is used just as often to cover abortions when honestly we all know that most abortions are not for those reasons.

As for 95% that is ridiculous and someone made a mistake counting. I know a few people that have regretted their decision. Its a decision not to be taken lightly.

5% of women regretting an abortion would be, say, 2 out of 40 women. It is exceedingly likely that you know 40 women who've had an abortion, and by the very nature of regret the ones who do so are far more likely to bring it up than those who don't.

The latest stage you can get an abortion in the United States is 24 weeks, or 6 months.

What? That's not true at all. Abortion at any point in pregnancy is generally legal under federal law, and the Supreme Court has upheld a variety of mandatory exceptions to state-level laws banning or restricting late-term abortions.

(The question of if and when someone can actually get one is, of course, very different.)

The danger here is that we make it sound as if there are no regrets, full stop. So anyone can go on and live their lives. I'd like to see a longer term study personally.

Is your theory that women who have no measurable negative emotional response after three years will discover at some future date that they regretted their choice and develop those responses then?

I think they should ask the question to a lot more than 670 women before they start making such claims.

Oh dear god. Just google "sample sizes" or "margin of error" or something.

Why should late term abortions be illegal if a fetus can't have the same rights as a human being until they are outside the uterus?

They shouldn't be.

Once someone has the will to kill their own child then there really isn't anything that could surprise me so how shocking could it be that there isn't regret?
Most people who would feel regret wouldn't have had the abortion in the first place.

Did you just sort of imply that women who have abortions have some sort of level of psychopathy?

Ahhh abortion topics sure bring out all the interesting opinions.

As for the 95% hardly shocking, you can even mourn the loss of the fetus and not regret the abortion. It's hardly surprising that most don't regret it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Having a child has such long-lasting generational effects that this doesn't surprise me.It can lock your family into a cycle of poverty for decades if it is the wrong time for you. Here in the U.S, at least, we don't have a decent social safety net so we shouldn't be surprised when desperate people try to get out of a bad situation if an option to do so exists. It always struck me as funny when people are so against abortion but also against social programs that might provide women with help choosing to take a different path. You can't have it both ways.

Abortions are a thing humans have done for a very long time one way or another. It's likely we will continue to find a way to end pregnancies for as long as we're around. If this study is accurate at least hopefully it won't be as emotionally scarring for many women as it COULD be.

It just goes to show that women who make these choices are of a sound state of mind. These choices are not some impulse, fly by the seat of your pants decision. People do not get abortions unless the situation is pretty bad.

I think they should ask the question to a lot more than 670 women before they start making such claims.

I think you should do any research into sample sizes before you participate in any discussion with statistics from now on.

Fair, but at the same time the "Oh but what if she was raped or its incest or themother will die" emotional attack is used just as often to cover abortions when honestly we all know that most abortions are not for those reasons.

That is still a valid concern and not an emotional attack, it does not matter that it isn't suitable for all or even most of the cases. Usually these are arguments in response of people saying you have complete authority about what happens, which is not true.

Dice//

Banned
Obviously the men's feelings are more important in this matter, clearly.

Some bad humour to an intense topic:
pKCVh2z.png

I don't find the stat that surprising. Beyond initial woes, I'm sure most women opt for an abortion because of some form of desperation --- they can't take care of a child, the time is far from right, it was an 'accident', a result of rape, poor health risking the child and mother, anything. The important thing is that the option is there, it's a personal choice and I'm sure a lot of the time it weighs heavily on a person's mind to go through with it. I get the grey morality, but I'm sure the lady-in-question does as well and are usually not so nonchalant before going to fuck with a "Well if I get pregnant we can just abort it!!!!! (Yaaaay)".

I agree a fetus isn't a "baby", but I mean look at the research: "53 percent found it very or somewhat difficult", even if we don't see fetus' as a "baby" clearly the decision still hurts/weighs on women a lot, so I hate when people make silly strawmen arguments that women are 'thrilled' to go through it or use it as a 'form of birth control'.

(This post isn't aimed at anyone)

farmerboy

It's too bad they can't do a similar study with the unborn human infants.

Not sure if your being sarcastic, glib or poignant but this comment cuts to the point swiftly and deeply.

Silly study. You can feel regret at any time in your life. Ask those same women on their deathbed. Or maybe if they're in their 50s and childless. I'm not commenting on their decisions but the stupidity of this study.

Phased

What the. Did you just call women who have abortions psychopaths? To me the psychopathic thing to do would be to bring a kid into this world you're in no position to raise. Foster care is a pretty horrible life as well. Nobody should be blaming people who don't want to ruin their (and the child's) life if they aren't ready for it emotionally or financially.

I'm not saying kids ruin people's lives, but some people just wouldn't be good parents at that time in their life, if ever, and even with protection accidents happen.

Flambe

I nearly died (along with my daughter) on my third and last pregnancy, and my body was so torn up I had to have a hysterectomy. The miscarriage was hard but I have to remind myself that wasn't a life yet. It was still very early, only a potential life.

Yeah, we had become pregnant and there were some hefty risks to my wife in keeping the child. She was also on an IUD and had been told she'd never have kids due to tube scarring/etc but through all that it happened anyway.

Despite all the logical justifications helping make the decision to abort it was still the worst, most heartbreaking decision I've ever had. A pain down to the core of my being.

So yeah there are those shades of regret and what could have been even though I'd make the same choice given the option and circumstances. Depends how you're looking at it I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom