• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Review Thread.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Folks, I want to note here that I implore you to take one of two routes in terms of responding to reviews you don't like. Either:

A.) Ignore them.

Or

B.) Be prepared to demonstrate that you've actually read the review and are prepared to address specific, legitimate concerns. This doesn't mean skimming it until you've found a sentence you think is nitpick-worthy.

Someone should put that in the OP before we undergo the usual review thread merry go round.

Fractal

Banned
I expect 7 to be the average score here, and that's fine by me... planning to pick it up at a discount eventually.

All the gameplay streams convinced me that this game is for me...so screw the nonsensical reviews.I'm getting it tomorrow.
I adored Rage, Alien Isolation, RTCW: The New Order and all I them git shitted on in reviews.

Gurish

This line from Gamespot is exactly what I've been thinking since they started to show the gameplay:

Most missions feel repetitive and mundane

It seems like Fetch Activities: the game.

xXJonoXx

Heads up to anyone who is maybe on the fence about spending full $60 on consoles based on any review: Redbox should have this tonight at 12am local time to you for $3.

Edit: if you text Appnow to 727272 you get the rental for half price if you use the smartphone app to reserve it

I'm gonna rent it at midnight, then get to keep it for 2 days. If it's good enough to keep for longer than that I have it preordered at Best Buy with GCU so $48 and I get a $10 certificate later, so basically $40+$3 rental. If I don't like it, I saved $40.

Loved Mordor, and from what I've seen of the game so far, I think I'm going to love this too. Just not at $60. A 70% MC is just fine; I'm not bothered that much by reviews. I'll probably get it early next month since there's nothing really great between MGS V and Halo 5.

Altairre

Reviews have gotten too political in their scoring schemes for my tastes. Gonna play the hell out of this game.

There is one review that mentions the female representaton on a sidenote as far as I know, the other reviews complain about combat, mission design and story. I really don't know what you're talking about here.

But Batman's combat has evolved to the point where it has 24 different moves and way more enemy types than it had in 2009 as well as tank and predator combat. That's why it's good there but in games like Mad Max where the Batman combat is simplified and relied on so heavily it's weak.

And I agree with you, I even think that Shadow of Mordor's combat is fantastic and I just read a review that says that Mad Max on foot combat is great too and I like what I saw of it, so...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's as I feared I guess. Everything I've seen of the game since its re-emergence has looked pretty, but shallow. I'm afraid that's not going to cut it for me right now. I doubt the story is anything to speak of either. I recall watching a semi-recent story trailer where all the dialogue was trailer nonspeak that's supposed to sound gripping or prophetic or give you an idea of how tough/crazy this or that character is. It was astoundingly easy to drown it all out, and surprisingly hard to consciously listen to it.

But Batman's combat has evolved to the point where it has 24 different moves and way more enemy types than it had in 2009 as well as tank and predator combat. That's why it's good there but in games like Mad Max where the Batman combat is simplified and relied on so heavily it's weak.

Exactly. Batman combat copycats are rarely even up to the level of Asylum's combat.

It's always interesting to see complaints of repetition in games. Really just depends on the player. I've been playing MGS V for about 6 hours doing side ops and most boil down as of now to infiltrate, sneak, kill, rescue, repeat... but it's fucking awesome. I hope Max gives me a similar feeling.

Arturo

Hobby Consolas - 9

Mad Max is really conventional, a mix of driving and exploration with the combat system that everybody seems to clone these days (the Batman Arkham, as you must know). It even wastes some good opportunities to create a really unique game that truly makes a difference. None of these, by the way, makes Mad Max a bad game because the genre combination, the huge content available and the excellent level design are addictive enough to keep us playing for weeks.

Full review (Spanish)

i don't see any review mention of general difficulty of the game.... i would really like to have some info on this !

I'm about 10 hours in. So far the car combat can get tough, especially when you have multiple enemies coming at you. The ground combat is super easy if you have played any of the Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs.

Everything I've read so far seems to point that the game might be worth it once it goes on sale on PS4. Once I can get anywhere between 20 and 30 I'll get it.

feral-kid-2.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Folks, I want to note here that I implore you to take one of two routes in terms of responding to reviews you don't like. Either:

A.) Ignore them.

Or

B.) Be prepared to demonstrate that you've actually read the review and are prepared to address specific, legitimate concerns. This doesn't mean skimming it until you've found a sentence you think is nitpick-worthy.

Agreed with this. Lightning Returns bombed in reviews, it was my favorite of the FFXIII games and one of my overall favorites that year. Alien Isolation I think was mostly positive, but there were some major outlets that just didn't like it. I loved it, one of my favorite games last year.

I'm expecting somewhat of a disparate opinion from average games who aren't expecting it to be Fury Road, aren't rushing through it to get to MGSV and just want to drive around and blow shit up. And those that are tired of the current state of affairs with OW games aren't going to find much to change their minds.

EDIT: Its okay if the score doesn't validate your personal gaming tastes, and its also not necessary to root for the game to fail critically. If thats what you need, go find some sport teams to cheer for (or against).

One thing I'm noticing from the Gamespot review (which is one of the few sites where I half-consider to trust reviews) is that there is a clash of tone. It seems part of the game, and also the reviewer, expect a more grounded experience, maybe because it goes well with the grounded, gritty nature of the Mad Max series, but the other part of the game is more arcade. Lots of hits pet peeves can be translated with "this isn't realistic":

-He complains drinking just gives health, instead of being needed to survive in the desert.
-He complains only certain scrap metal can be used in the upgrade system, instead of the normal, everywhere scrap.
-He complains the main character can somehow carry all those huge scraps,
-He complains how you don't die easily while being run over by a car (on foot) while a few punches in the melee combat are enough to beat you down.

I also like my games to tend more to "realistic" styles, but these all are normal gameplay concessions.

I can't be surprised, this is from the creators of JC1 and JC2, very arcade games.

dealer-

I'm about 10 hours in. So far the car combat can get tough, especially when you have multiple enemies coming at you. The ground combat is super easy if you have played any of the Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs.

Seconded. Plus I seem to get wrecked by snipers when roaming the wasteland, died a few times that way.

eh, after these reviews confirming some of my fears about this game and the micro transaction bullshit for FOBs on MGSV, I might not get any game this week.

Skulldead

Thank you can we remove prompt like Shadow of Modor too add little challenge ?

I'm willing to try this even if it's mediocre, just not right now during the MGS5 and Fallout 4 threesome period and not at full price.

I do wonder why Avalanche Sweden passed JC3 onto their just opened New York studio instead of doing it on their own and giving this to them.

antitrop

It's always interesting to see complaints of repetition in games. Really just depends on the player. I've been playing MGS V for about 6 hours doing side ops and most boil down as of now to infiltrate, sneak, kill, rescue, repeat... but it's fucking awesome. I hope Max gives me a similar feeling.

Options are what keep a game from feeling repetitive. The reviews indicate that Mad Max's are limited, while MGS V's are clearly vast.

I do wonder why Avalanche Sweden passed JC3 onto their just opened New York studio instead of doing it on their own and giving this to them.

They've said that they wanted a fresh take on the Just Cause franchise, and figured giving it to a new team made up of fans would be beneficial.

I'm not surprised that the reviews are ending up being divisive, considering it isn't going to be for everyone. I've seen more than enough gameplay to know I will have a blast with it.

dLMN8R

Reviews have gotten too political in their scoring schemes for my tastes. Gonna play the hell out of this game.

Complaining about reviews being political is itself a political statement.

The fact that Mad Max The Game does something so absurdly stereotypical of games that the critically acclaimed movie from earlier this year handled so well is just....incredible.

For any other game it would be disappointing, but for a Mad Max game? After Furiosa? It's just fucking mindboggling. It's a total failure in my opinion and one which gives me absolutely zero desire to ever play the game.

"Reviews have gotten too political"

in this case, appears to be code for

"a particular web site which likes to consider their audiences who might not be white, straight, and male, pointed out the game's failure to avoid obvious, overused, and boring tropes, and that is very annoying to me."

For what it's worth (which should be a lot), Phil does make the game sound pretty boring too, and that appears to be the main reason for his score. But I mean that takes actually reading the review to find out.

Certinty

From my few hours with the game, if you think you'll like it, you probably will. That's pretty much all there is to it.

I was waiting for reviews and the reviews are in.

I'll wait until I complete Metal Gear, if after that I'm having a hard time to find some entertainment then I'll buy the game, otherwise it'll be in black friday.

GRaider81

Complaining about reviews being political is itself a political statement.

The fact that Mad Max The Game does something so absurdly stereotypical of games that the critically acclaimed movie from earlier this year handled so well is just....incredible.

For any other game it would be disappointing, but for a Mad Max game? After Furiosa? It's just fucking mindboggling. It's a total failure in my opinion and one which gives me absolutely zero desire to ever play the game.

"Reviews have gotten too political"

in this case, appears to be code for

"a particular web site which likes to consider their audiences who might not be white, straight, and male, pointed out the game's failure to avoid obvious, overused, and boring tropes, and that is very annoying to me."

For what it's worth (which should be a lot), Phil does make the game sound pretty boring too, and that appears to be the main reason for his score. But I mean that takes actually reading the review to find out.

Your pre edit post was bang on.

Options are what keep a game from feeling repetitive. The reviews indicate that Mad Max's are limited, while MGS V's are clearly vast.

Yes that's true but guess what, not right away and not very fast imo. It's a slow build up as far as my experience has been so far with MGS V, but I love it regardless.

I know right? It fucking sucks to form your own opinion...

There's no need to be like this. While I ultimately agree that the best way to determine a game's quality is to try playing it and forming your own opinion, there's nothing wrong with using reviews to try and filter out what is and isn't worth spending time and money on. I don't think people should view the metacritic aggregate score as an end-all-be-all indicator of a game's inherent worth. But it is a tool that can be used to assess interest.

That's true. I think you can safely say, if you're fed up with the Ubisoft formula for open worlds, this game isn't going to be your kind of thing. After completing Mordor I felt I was totally done with it. I started and lost interest with Far Cry 4 very quickly soon after, but for the right price I may be able to get into another one in the near future.

Top Bottom