• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 receives official £50 price drop in the UK this October

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe confirmed to Eurogamer this week that the PlayStation 4 will be receiving an official price drop to £299 from £349 on the 9th of October 2015.

This date coincides with the release of the Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection 500GB & 1TB PS4 bundles. The units being sold will be the new 1200 series and will retail at £299 and £349 respectively.

The PlayStation 4 is set to receive similar price cuts in Japan and Asia in October but it is not yet confirmed if mainland Europe or North America will benefit from the price cut. The UK has always been a competitive market and whilst the RRP has been £349 since launch a number of retailers have chosen to sell the console below the £300 price point. In fact Sony launched their own temporary initiative back in April where they lowered the RRP to £299 for a week promotion. This time however the price cut is permanent.

This should enable retailers to discount the older models even further and we should start seeing very competitive deals in the UK this Christmas.

PlayStation 4 has sold more than 2 million units in the UK as of May 2015.

So, do you guys think we will see similar price cuts in mainland Europe and North America this year?

jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-drake-collection-500gb-ps4-bundle-announced

Xando

And so it begins.

So, do you guys think we will see similar price cuts in mainland Europe and North America this year?

We already do here in Germany. Most retailers would sell you a PS4 without games for 350-360€ (Plus game if you're lucky).

KeRaSh

Not sure how long this has been going but Media Markt in Germany had the PS4 for 350€ when I checked on Thursday. If I recall correctly they even had the Destiny bundle for 10€ more.

Woah, it's going to be an interesting holiday season this year. Can't wait for the NPD threads!

Hopefully this reaches the rest of the world soon.

Always amazes me when a product drops from 349 too 299 people jump on board.
What makes it suddenly so "i want it now" compared too before? I'd understand a 100 note drop but 50 just does not seem like it should be a game changer,but yet it is..

ZhugeEX

Banned
The Ps4 costs £289 on Amazon for quite some time now...

Yup.

The UK is a very unique market when compared to the US for example.

In the US we'll see the $399 point across pretty much all retailers with little room for discounts.

In the UK you have the higher tier retailers who consistently sell the console at RRP (look at John Lewis or Argos for example), but then you have the competitive retailers who will aim to shift units (Supermarkets/Online) and they'll usually undercut the RRP (as has been the case in the UK for a while) to sell through more units. As early as Christmas 2014 you could buy a PS4 in the UK for as little as £250 if you knew where to look but the current price point is around the £280 ish mark as you said.

Once this price drop comes into effect we'll see the higher tier retailers drop from £349 to £299 and the competitive retailers will keep their price high for a while but as Sony start shipping new units to them at the new price we'll see these competitive retailers start to drop below RRP again for a great Christmas sale.

Same happens in EU as well.

Majmun

What makes it suddenly so "i want it now" compared too before? I'd understand a 100 note drop but 50 just does not seem like it should be a game changer,but yet it is..

It's the cost of a new game...

ZhugeEX

Banned

Because it's cheaper..... It's just that simple.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
French PS4 supply is still on high demand, I doubt they will follow anytime soon.

Isn't it kinda obvious that Sony is rolling out a €50 pricecut thru out the world. This isn't a reactionary pricecut, it's probably something they planned a while back.

LewieP

Here's what I said about a potential UK pricecut in response to the Japanese price cut:

The UK has already seen discounts along these lines become commonplace at a range of retailers. An official price drop to £300 would probably make sense, but it would be as much a PR move as it would be an actual discount at this point.

Edit: In fact, on second thought, something like £279 or £269 might have more of an impact.

Presumably similar drops are on the way for the rest of Europe and NA.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Why are they cutting the price? Is demand for the console dropping?

Not at all.

Sony Japan stated that the price cut is to push adoption of the console even further and they said that PlayStation 4 is profitable even at the new price point.

In Sony's financial report this year they mentioned PS4 costs have decreased a lot (remember it was pretty much profitable from day 1) and they also increased their sales forecast for the year.

If anything this is just because they can drop the price and now is actually a good time (2 years into the lifecycle) to help enable additional sales from people who couldn't afford/were on the fence with the old price point.

Is 50 whatever enough to spur sales? I thought 100 would be a splashier headline.

Yup. In the UK that's enough.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Meanwhile outside of GAME the PS4 has been effectively £299 or below for months anyway. Good for those who haven't heard of HotUKDeals however and any PR is good PR.

Waiting for the first console to hit £200 though if I'm honest. My PC and Wii U can tide me over until then.

Yes, before you say it, I'm a hypocrite for spending £360 on a GTX 780 but going cheap on a new console!

Alo0oy

Banned
PS4 sales will be in the gutter for the next few weeks, and once the new price is announced in NA, Xbox might possibly win September NPD, depending on how many units TPP and TTK have pushed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
£50 is more than I'd expect. Wonder if SCEA can possibly squeeze to $100? Such a price sensitive market.

The problem with these deals is that the street price was effectively already at £299, so for a while people won't see much difference, and it'll take a little time for offers to start popping up again. Wonder if any retailers will hit £249 before Christmas?

King_Moc

Banned
As far as I can tell, it doesn't even need the drop either. Should clean up at Christmas. Though it would have anyway.

Top Bottom