• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 receives official £50 price drop in the UK this October

BadWolf

People who are thinking that lower demand is the reasoning seem be seeing a Sony console in action for the first time.

The PS4 is actually the PS console that went the longest without a price drop, at this point in its life the PS2 had received a $100 price cut months ago (from $299 to $199).

Wow. With Halo coming, Sony is desperate.

don-mattrick-clapping-o.gif

I just want the US price to be down to $299 by mid-March, 2016. Also that the PS4 already be in production in Brazil by then. Please Sony.

Our economy is completely fucked, the thought of having to pay MORE for a PS4 next March than in this one makes me want to cry.

JimiNutz

Banned
About time!
I've got the limited edition Star Wars console pre ordered on Amazon, wonder if the price of that will drop also?

Boke1879

I've said before I don't think we'll see a price drop in NA this year. But with is news I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

In NA I think the ps4 would do very well without one but if it does happen Sony just might clean house this holiday.

If it does happen Sony are definitely positioning themselves strong for 2016

leeh

This won't really make that much of a difference as its been around that price in the UK now for a while anyway.

Elios83

This won't really make that much of a difference as its been around that price in the UK now for a while anyway.

Wrong, it means that starting from a lowered RRT retailers will be able to go down even further doing their own deals.

Thanks for the thread Zhuge! :)

IIRC it was pretty much ~£280 anyway in most major UK retailers that don't rip people off lol (like on Amazon you can one for that price).

But I guess an "official" price drop holds more weight and is more effective as all retailers will be dropping the price, rather than just a select few.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not sure how long this has been going but Media Markt in Germany had the PS4 for 350€ when I checked on Thursday. If I recall correctly they even had the Destiny bundle for 10€ more.

Which means 299EUR shelf prices are now coming. Good news.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

IIRC it was pretty much ~£280 anyway in most major UK retailers that don't rip people off lol (like on Amazon you can one for that price).

But I guess an "official" price drop hold more weight and is more effective as all retailers will be dropping the price, rather than just a select few.

They'll be £250 now. Maybe even £230

The PS4 is going to do very well. While Xbox might be hanging on in the UK, just, and has the odd exclusive to attract people, the PS4 is showing that it's the place where all the multi-plats will run best and where you can get some of the best exclusives in the business and access to a wide range of inexpensive indie titles. PS+, needed for online play, gives you a ton of free games, and you have access to VR being a reality next year if you own the console.

The Xbox has little if anything to battle this. Halo has lost a lot of it's gravitas and most will happily wait for Tomb Raider 2, if they're bothered at all. It's a great compact console with everything going for it and it can only keep snowballing. We're finally seeing traditional Japanese game devs start to warm up again and over the generation it should feel a little bit like the golden era of PS2 all over again. There's a ludicrous amount of highly promising games coming and for those that dismiss the PS4 library up until now, seriously, you're blind and a bit dumb should you be pedalling that line even now.

Cannot wait to see how huge a success the PS4 will go on to be over the next half decade. Pretty damn huge I predict. We have a console for the world, with devs from the world making content for it. Sadly the Xbox always put me off with how it was a non starter in Japan and the subsequent way this affected Japanese devs getting on with making top quality console games. Now we're back in business. Oh and Shenmue 3!

The PS4 is doing extremely well and it's fantastic that it's doing as well as it is. But you say the Xbox 'only has the odd exclusive'. I disagree, whilst I'm not a fanboy of either console I have to call bullshit on that statement. It's had some really good exclusive games, Forza, Forza Horizon 2, Halo, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay.

There are also lots more coming within the next year. Halo 5, Scalebound, Tomb Raider, Crackdown and Quantum Break just to name a few.

Xbox has always been a non-starter in Japan, it's never going to be the console that does well over there and it has been that way since Microsoft released the OG Xbox. I hope that when Uncharted 4 comes out i'll be in a better position to pick up a PS4 (Huge backlog of Xbox and PC games to get through) as it does look like an awesome game and Naughty Dog are an amazing developer. But the Xbox has PLENTY of amazing looking games coming too.

ZhugeEX

Banned

But I guess an "official" price drop hold more weight and is more effective as all retailers will be dropping the price, rather than just a select few.

No worries.

And yes, this should lead to lower pricing from supermarkets and online retailers in the future. I would suggest we could see standalone units going for <£250 in the UK this Christmas.

MilesTeg

Banned
Hope Sony does the smart thing and goes for $299 in US. They wouldn't even need to bundle a game. Just a straight $299. They will make it up in software and PS+ subscriptions.

Seems like it will be $349.99 w/Uncharted collection though.

If they go $349 then the Xbox One will win the holiday season easily in NA. Big exclusives, and MS will likely respond to Sony's $50 cut somehow. Wheras if Sony goes $299, imo, there isn't much MS could realistically do to counter this.

Boke1879

Hope Sony does the smart thing and goes for $299 in US. They wouldn't even need to bundle a game. Just a straight $299. They will make it up in software and PS+ subscriptions.

Seems like it will be $349.99 w/Uncharted collection though.

If they go $349 then the Xbox One will win the holiday season easily in NA. Big exclusives, and MS will likely respond to Sony's $50 cut somehow. Wheras if Sony goes $299, imo, there isn't much MS could realistically do to counter this.

Don't expect $299 in NA for ps4 or Xbox. That could be a retailer price drop for Black Friday but won't be official

Also $350 with the strong bundles ps4 has this holiday does not mean the Xbox wins easily.

VegiHam

Wait, they dropped the price to the price it is anyway?

Does that mean the price I pay will go down, or stay the same?

MilesTeg

Banned
Don't expect $299 in NA for ps4 or Xbox. That could be a retailer price drop for Black Friday but won't be official

Also $350 with the strong bundles ps4 has this holiday does not mean the Xbox wins easily.

The strong bundles PS4 has will be $399 or higher (BO2, Battlefront) most likely. Meanwhile I expect Xbox One will be had for $299 with a game.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So now it matches the RRP for XB1? How low does XB1 go at places that are discounting it?

Correct. RRP for XB1 standalone is £299 or £309 for a game.

Xbox One launched at £429 so it's been a big drop (mainly due to Kinect) and now the console can be bought for sub £280 at most places. Usually the Xbox One has an ever so slightly better deal or price in the UK.

As mentioned, it's a very competitive market.

Also this is a cool graphic to show how ASP has changed over time. (Not up to date)

ASP_zps452dmcph.jpg

Wait, they dropped the price to the price it is anyway?

Does that mean the price I pay will go down, or stay the same?

It should mean that Sony are lowering the price to retailers and in turn we should see lower prices for the PS4 this Christmas. I wouldn't expect it to get crazy but expect to see stuff around £250.

Top Bottom