• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvelous announces Uppers for PS Vita

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Famitsu this week reveals a new PS Vita game from Marvelous called Uppers. It is an action game set on an isolated island where fighting has become the largest form of entertainment. On this island, outlaws gather with hidden intentions and fight using only their fists.

A release date was not announced.

Thanks, Famitsu.

Uppers-Marv-Ann-PSV-Fami.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/marvelous-announces-uppers-ps-vita

That's all we know, even in those tiny shots it already looks good imo.

EDIT:
New infos:
Update 7:15 a.m.: Uppers is produced by Kenichiro Takaki, the producer of the Senran Kagura series, and features a scenario by Yukinori Kitajima and character design by Hiroaki.

Introduced in the magazine is a character named Ranma Kamishiro, a young man whose days are somewhat boring. He has no experience in the martial arts, but hereditarily has threatening physical ability and beast-like strength.

Players will battle against enemies in phantasmagorical fighting action. Attacks will automatically change based on the enemy’s position and posture. You can mercilessly attack enemies while they’re flying and falling, and unleash combos through repeated button hits.

Girls will cheer the guys on during their fights to heat them up. If you defeat enemies in front of the girls, you’ll power up. There is even a chest grab-and-bury-your-face element. (There’s the Takaki influence.)

Uppers will launch in Japan in spring 2016.

Thanks, Hachima Kikou.
http://gematsu.com/2015/10/marvelous-announces-uppers-ps-vita

Powwa

2016 is getting better and better for Vita, I wonder how many of these games we will see localized.

This is so my shit it's not even funny. Give me something half as decent as Yakuza-style combat and commence the taking of my money.

Takao

Banned
If Spike Chunsoft won't release a normal Kenka Bancho on Vita and Yakuza Black Panther is dead, why not?

No Yakuza on Vita, no Kenka Bancho on Vita, but this instead.

You know what - I'll take it. Probably has a better chance of being localized anyway.

Looks fairly decent from the scans. I'm interested, obviously would like to see some gameplay though.

edit: Scans were misleading :(

Is that Hiroaki I see providing the character designs?

This looks cool. I want this. XSEED, please take notice.

Edit: Maybe not so cool now...

The premise of this game seems fun ... so why not

an island dedicated to fighting entertainment ? as a video game premise i've seen much worse so this can't be bad.

FluxWaveZ

Hachima Kikou has got the furage.

From the creator of Senran Kagura (Takagi), Uppers is coming out in Spring 2016.

Battles are fought in front of girls, and doing well by defeating the enemies will result in their encouragement, powering the character up. By doing really well, the character can bury his face in their chest or grab it.

BadWolf

^Yeah, he's really good.

I can't believe this is the new game by the producer of Life and Hometown (Senran Kagura)

Believe.

From the creator of Senran Kagura (Takagi), Uppers is coming out in Spring 2016.

Battles are fought in front of girls, and doing well by defeating the enemies will result in their encouragement, powering the character up. By doing really well, the character can bury his face in their chest or grab it.

Redhood

Spoke too soon!

They do want people to buy the game. If anything, I'm surprised the girls have such realistic proportions - maybe your performance will determine their bust size?
And I'm sure it'll be just girls that cheer you on. Won't even be equal opportunity fanservice.

What a waste.

Yeah, it feels totally unnecessary :\
I was so excited. A cool looking brawler with one of my favorite artists doing the designs, and now it turns out to be just another straight male otaku pandering project.

I'll wait until we've got more details to really decide, but ugh. :/

Thoraxes

I just did a literal MJlaugh.gif

Will buy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, and I was all excited for this...

Fan service is out of control.

this thread is beautiful

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For a game called uppers, this fan service is a real downer.

Maybe if enough people ask for less fanservice they will listen.

What otaku would do that? They love this drek.

ZoddGutts

Looks good, hopefully SpikeChunsoft follows up with a new Kenka Bancho if not a port of Kenka Bancho 6, it bomb the 3DS because it wasn't the right audience for it.

delSai

No thanks :/

Golnei

And I'm sure it'll be just girls that cheer you on. Won't even be equal opportunity fanservice.

What a waste.

...would there be any reason to expect anything else? Though maybe there could be a mechanic where if you do too well, you'll attract the attention of a comedy relief male classmate among the girls; who you'll have to avoid all contact with for fear of an instant bad ending. In later stages, he could even disguise himself as a girl to trick you, upon which you'd be able to beat him unconscious while the rest of the crowd cheers. A light-hearted diversion like that would be welcome among the fanservice, as well as possibly giving that mechanic a few challenging gameplay wrinkles.

...would there be any reason to expect anything else? Though maybe there could be a mechanic where if you do too well, you'll attract the attention of a comedy relief male classmate among the girls; who you'll have to avoid all contact with for fear of an instant bad ending. In later stages, he could even disguise himself as a girl to trick you, upon which you'd be able to beat him unconscious while the rest of the crowd cheers. A light-hearted diversion like that would be welcome among the fanservice, as well as possibly giving that mechanic a few challenging gameplay wrinkles.
One day we won't need such biting satire. Preferably, I'd like that to be before I retire.

Someone needs to take 95% of the Japanese development community to a gay bar or something. So much untapped potential.

TimmiT

Oh hey this game seems nea-

Oh...

Top Bottom