• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 releasing DECEMBER 8, 2015

TimmiT

It’s been a while since we’ve talked about Yakuza 5, so we wanted to post a quick update on it. As you know, the digital pre-order lists “Dec. 31, 2015” as the release date. Fortunately, this is not the case – it looks like we’ll be releasing the game mid-November, if all goes to schedule.

Unfortunately, it’s a little later than we would’ve liked, and a few weird development bugs that popped up in localization caused the delay. Without getting too technical, there were just certain parts that didn’t like switching the Japanese text out for English, and we had to actually search through the source code to find a fix, taking more time than we expected. But! Everything is more or less back on track. Once we have details beyond just “mid-November,” we’ll make sure to share them!
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/10/16/top-5-movies-to-get-hyped-for-yakuza-5/

The post also has a top 5 list of movies to watch before playing Yakuza 5.

EDIT: Sega has removed the mid-November release window from the blog post.

Tizoc

Excellent, I'm a little broke right now so I can't get it off EU PSN XP.

Well def. check those movies out.

night13x

It sounded like they actually took the time for proper translations and programming instead of just throwing it out. THIS should be encouraged by the gaming community.

Hexa

That is awful timing. Like I know that Yakuza has a small and dedicated fanbase that this is supposed to be for over the main stream, but I still think it's going to hurt. Still, I don't think waiting any longer would help either.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That is awful timing. Like I know that Yakuza has a small and dedicated fanbase that this is supposed to be for over the main stream, but I still think it's going to hurt. Still, I don't think waiting any longer would help either.

I don't think it's going to hurt the game in the slightest in terms of expectations of sales. Us Yakuza fans will drop whatever the fuck we are playing and go to it like flies to shite.

Honestly can't wait.

Loudninja

Very smart decision to take advantage of the drought this holiday. No doubt, Yakuza 5 will be topping charts.
They have a good reason.

Awesome. I'm glad to finally have an idea of when the game is coming out. Hopefully we get an exact date soon, but "mid-November" works for me.

Of course, just watch XSEED wind up launching Trails in the Sky SC on the same day, for maximum hilarity.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
*sigh*

No idea when I'll have my PS3 out again, but will buy anyway to support Yakuza

Hexa

They have a good reason.

Which is? Like I get that they're stuck between a rock and hard place on releasing it timing wise, so better early than late if its all the same. But is there another good reason to release it then?

TimmiT

Which is? Like I get that they're stuck between a rock and hard place on releasing it timing wise, so better early than late if its all the same. But is there another good reason to release it then?

Like the blog post says, they wanted to release it earlier but had to delay it because they had issues switching the Japanese text to English.

hamchan

Good!

Seems like a decent timeframe for it actually. Surrounded by Fallout and a bunch of shooters. Yakuza fills its own little niche well in that space.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
should give me more than enough time to finish 3. might not have time to replay 4 but since I played that for the first time this year I don't really need to.

farisr

So as someone who hasn't played any of the past games, and preordered 5 as soon as it went up to show support. What do you guys recommend I do.

I don't have much time to play games these days, I've been playing MGSV for over a month and have just reached mission 30.

I have Yakuza 4 via PS+.

So should I catch up on the story of Yakuza 1-3, play 4 (however long that will take me) and then play 5?

Or is 5 basically a better version of 4 with some of the same areas, some new, and improved gameplay mecahnics, where a person like me, who doesn't have much time, would benefit by directly going to 5 after catching up with the story from 1-4?

oneida

So as someone who hasn't played any of the past games, and preordered 5 as soon as it went up to show support. What do you guys recommend I do.

I don't have much time to play games these days, I've been playing MGSV for over a month and have just reached mission 30.

I have Yakuza 4 via PS+.

So should I catch up on the story of Yakuza 1-3, play 4 (however long that will take me) and then play 5?

Or is 5 basically a better version of 4 with some of the same areas, some new, and improved gameplay mecahnics, where a person like me, who doesn't have much time, would benefit by directly going to 5 after catching up with the story from 1-4?
the more of the series you've played the more you'll get out of 5. finish what you can. 1 took me 25hrs and 2 took me 35hrs and in both cases I did a lot of side content.

oneida

the thing about playing all the games in the series is that it's not really a chore. the games are really fun! the ps2 entries hold up fine too.

Rymuth

qq1oSjo.gif

I have Yakuza 4 via PS+.

You have 4 already, so you might as well play it. Even if you don't beat it right when 5 comes out, 5 isn't going to delete itself from your hard drive.

I'd recommend playing 4 (and watching the catch up movies in game for 1-3). This will give you a better grasp of the game play for when you start 5 (as well as helping you make a decision about what difficulty level to play at), as well as giving you a better understanding of 4's story and characters which will carry over into 5.

Klossen

Banned

I have Yakuza 4 via PS+.

Watch the recap movies of Y1-3, play Yakuza 4 and you should be done just in time for Yakuza 5. Yakuza 1 and 2 are sort of difficult to track down for PS2 last I heard. There is a Yakuza 1 Remaster coming (hopefully to the west) aswell.

You mean right between Fallout 4 and Bloodborne's DLC? Goddammit as if it being PS3 and digital only wasn't bad enough.

Fucking shit! This is gonna bomb hard and they'll never continue the series in the west. Fuck, fuck, fuck.....

I've seen all those films apart from Tokyo Drifter. Never even heard of that one! I like how he listed Infernal Affairs 2, but not 3. Good call, IA2 is one of those unsung-sequel-that's-better-than-the-first-one movies, like Wayne's World 2, Police Story 2 and Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. Blatantly superior sequels that too few people mention when discussing superior sequels. And yes, Sonatine is compulsory viewing.

whoo! november!

Top Bottom