• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 releasing DECEMBER 8, 2015

Jimrpg

Please put the Australian page up so we can preorder the damn thing! And make sure it's less than $46 (=US$33).

Is there any chance that his game sell like 300k copies? Damn, Ryu ha Gotoku deserves so much more in the West :/

If only :(

The entire series put together hasn't sold that much in the west.
Yakuza ~56k
Yakuza 2 ~24k
Yakuza 3 ~50k
Yakuza 4 ~20/30k
Yakuza Dead Souls ~6k

My sources for numbers: Y1 & Y2 - Y3 & Y4 & DS

;_;

Edit: Sorry I somehow messed up Y1 and Y2 sale numbers at my initial post. Thanks to ioriyagami now they are correct.

Videoneon

Hopefully it's just because too many people were taking it as fact but they're still targeting it.

It was just a simple gaffe then.

It would be reasonable to take something like this stated on their blog as fact unless something otherwise is dictated later or elsewhere (which is now the case)

ideally yeah, it's still mid-november

Yakuza ~80k
Yakuza 2 ~40k
Yakuza 3 ~50k
Yakuza 4 ~20/30k

;_;

I thought Yakuza 3 was million seller ?

And they should have rebranded and launch Ishin in the west with the system. At this time, people were carving for games it could have been a sucess

Yakuza ~80k
Yakuza 2 ~40k
Yakuza 3 ~50k
Yakuza 4 ~20/30k

;_;
Always gutted to see these figures. What seems to be the problem with the series?

Is it too Japanese?
A lack of exposure/marketing?
General apathy?

I mean, there are some real stinkers that don't bomb this hard, right?

I think it's too Japanese. I love this series and it's almost too Japanese for me at times.

I mean, it's really Japanese. In all the good ways. And a lot of the bad ways.

I think it's too Japanese. I love this series and it's almost too Japanese for me at times.

Persona is far more Japanese than Yakuza and that series sells more. The marketing for the series just hasn't been good.

I thought Yakuza 3 was million seller ?

And they should have rebranded and launch Ishin in the west with the system. At this time, people were carving for games it could have been a sucess
These are just US numbers but I highly doubt Y3 sold 950k in Europe to reach a million sales in west. Maybe you are remembering Japanese sales?

I got the numbers from here if anyone is curious about it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84299821&postcount=40

Persona is far more Japanese than Yakuza and that series sells more. The marketing for the series just hasn't been good.

Persona is nowhere near as Japanese as Yakuza is. Persona doesn't drop you into a modeled world of Japan, complete with real life product placements and buildings. It also doesn't have subs only, Japanese political intrigue, a heavy focus on the Yakuza life, hostess girls (well, one select scene in 4, but you know), or manly men doing manly semi-realistic Japanese things on the regular.

Oh, and it doesn't have a continuous story requiring people to learn about other characters per entry.

And that's not even beginning to speak of how largely different the genres are, which RPG players are a far more in-tune crowd than beat'em up people.

Shadoken

Yakuza ~80k
Yakuza 2 ~40k
Yakuza 3 ~50k
Yakuza 4 ~20/30k

;_;

Is this like Sega's lowest selling franchise in the west? God I dont think even niche Sega titles on the Dreamcast did that bad.
30k WTF ??

Something is wrong , a great game like this shouldn't be selling this low.

Do you guys think Yakuza 5 will see a surge again? There does seem to be a sort of renewed interest in the Franchise. And Sony is marketting it somewhat I guess?

SephLuis

It's funny to think that if they hit 100k, a very low figure for AAA games, we will probably receive 0, Kiwami and 6 pretty fast.

It's also sad to see that such a great series never got to that mark.I wonder how many people downloaded Y4 in the PS+ and have actually played it.

Shadoken

Yakuza isn't really a triple A franchise though. Each game reuses a lot of assets.

Doesn't it use expensive VAs and stuff? Id still call it AAA despite low sales in the west.

It's funny to think that if they hit 100k, a very low figure for AAA games, we will probably receive 0, Kiwami and 6 pretty fast.

It's also sad to see that such a great series never got to that mark.I wonder how many people downloaded Y4 in the PS+ and have actually played it.

Yea srsly we just need the fanbase to reach 100k.

I wish these games got a PC port though , I feel like it would be a lot easier to hit that number on Steam. We already have their engine ported over with Binary Domain.

Shadoken

Oh, and it doesn't have a continuous story requiring people to learn about other characters per entry.

I wish we could have got Kenzan and Ishin without the Yakuza branding. The Samurai setting is a lot more popular in the west than Yakuza.

I wonder how Sega would have reacted if Ishin launched in the West and sold 100k. ( Very possible given the drought PS4 had at the time ).

SephLuis

I wish we could have got Kenzan and Ishin without the Yakuza branding. The Samurai setting is a lot more popular in the west than Yakuza.

I wonder how Sega would have reacted if Ishin launched in the West and sold 100k. ( Very possible given the drought PS4 had at the time ).

And both are incredible games. I tried telling my friends that Ishin was the best Samurai X game ever released. I think more than a couple of them would have bought if it was released in english.

But the main issue, I think, would be to translate the games. Especially Kenzan. Lots and lots of old terms and language, I think this would have been a colossal job if they were to undertake it.

Keihart

Bought the preorder since it's only digital, had a discount on psn, the spend 100 get back 15 is still running, and PCGameSupply had 50usd psn codes at 45. The stars aligned for me on this one.

Shadoken

And both are incredible games. I tried telling my friends that Ishin was the best Samurai X game ever released. I think more than a couple of them would have bought if it was released in english.

But the main issue, I think, would be to translate the games. Especially Kenzan. Lots and lots of old terms and language, I think this would have been a colossal job if they were to undertake it.

I think almost every Samurai game has crossed 100k in the US , Way of the Samurai,Onimiusha,Genji,SW.
Ishin could have easily done that , and yea the Rurouni Kenshin-esque setting was awesome , would have been a lot easier getting people interested in it :(

Also the PS4 market in Japan is pretty bad , Sega will have to expand the franchise in other markets to keep the overall sales the same. With Kiwami and 6 being only on PS4. It looks like China is their focus , curious to see how much it sells there.

I agree with the bolded. You're probably right that it's too Japanese. And I don't want to say that I'm necessarily surprised that that's the case, but I don't really get why it's such a turn off for the NA audience.

I find the Japanese-ness of the game endearing, myself. It's so different from most games that it's wonderfully fresh, and it has such a wide breadth of content. I have nearly 100 hours in Yakuza 4 and I'm still finding new mini-games. It's a great game to pass the controller around with, too.

I don't find it very Japanese at all aside from the setting and the hostess clubs. And I suppose the storytelling, but that is celebrated in games like MGS if anything.

Rymuth

Yakuza isn't really a triple A franchise though. Each game reuses a lot of assets.
Assassin's Creed re-uses a lot of assets (between sequential entries like ACB/R) and that's triple-A...plus, you're completely disregarding the huge jump in facial-capture tech they've pioneered over the years.
God, yes. I kept hoping it was a PEX announcement and would have done well to silence the whole 'PS4 has no gaemz' crowd.
I don't find it very Japanese at all aside from the setting and the hostess clubs. And I suppose the storytelling, but that is celebrated in games like MGS if anything.
That's 75% of the game. :p

5taquitos

This game could literally be a cheap upscale to 1080p on PS4 and I would buy it.... digital on PS3? A bit of a lost cause.

I don't think you can just click a button and rescale a PS3 game to 1080P and export the build to PS4. It's highly likely that the game would not sell enough to recoup the port costs, since they could barely justify the localization to begin with.

Yakuza ~80k
Yakuza 2 ~40k
Yakuza 3 ~50k
Yakuza 4 ~20/30k

;_;

Where did you get those numbers from? I only have reliable 2009 NPD life-to-date figures for Yakuza 1 (56k) and Yakuza 2 (24k) (obtained from here). I have not been able to find any leak from a trusted source for any other game...

artsi

With stuff like

Fighting tigers barehanded
(minor Y5 boss spoiler)
Samurai throwing punches naked in a Japanese bath
Super intense taxi racing to the tunes of eurobeat

I'd say it's so Japanese as you can get. And I love it.

WdRdCXM.gif

Where did you get those numbers from? I only have reliable 2009 NPD life-to-date figures for Yakuza 1 (56k) and Yakuza 2 (24k) (obtained from here). I have not been able to find any leak from a trusted source for any other game...

I had them saved in note a while ago so I could find them easily if I ever needed them so for that post I just copied those numbers but now that I look at my sources, it's pretty weird. I actually used one of your posts for Y1 and Y2 numbers but I somehow messed up the numbers. Here is the post that I'm referring to:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126986936&postcount=186

And I got Y3 and Y4's numbers from here:

Thanks for the correction. I'll edit my post with correct sales.
Which makes more depressed cause they are even lower than I thought :(

Shadoken

I had them saved in note a while ago so I could find them easily if I ever needed them so for that post I just copied those numbers but now that I look at my sources, it's pretty weird. I actually used one of your posts for Y1 and Y2 numbers but I somehow messed up the numbers. Here is the post that I'm referring to:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126986936&postcount=186

And I got Y3 and Y4's numbers from here:

Thanks for the correction. I'll edit my post with correct sales.
Which makes more depressed cause they are even lower than I thought :(

Yeah, they really are depressing. However, I refuse to believe in the Yakuza 3 and 4 numbers (Atolm did not provide sources for that post's numbers when asked to, and afaik he is not a trusted source). Also, they don't paint the whole picture anyway, since NPD is just covering US. Hopefully the rest of the territories amount to something significant...

I truly believe Yakuza is everyone's favorite series that they've never played. I've shown videos/gifs of HEAT actions and some of the other insane moments of the series to people with vastly different tastes, and it's entertained the hell out of every single one of them. I've never managed to get anyone to take the bait and buy one though. A lot of people could fall in love with the series if they sat down and gave it a chance, but no one seems willing to do that, unfortunately.

I absolutely love these games, but I can't help but feel like they've missed the boat on this having any sort of chance at selling well. Folks like me will never get a chance to play it because we've already upgraded to a PS4. Like I've stated before in previous Y5 threads, PSNow is my only hope at this point...

gelf

I will buy this right away. Fuck everything else, even my beloved Bloodborne's DLC can wait.

On the sales, while I don't think it could ever have been a huge seller, I do thing there is an untapped audience out there that would love it but just don't know what Yakuza actually is, if they've even heard of it at all. I could see MGS fans getting a kick out of the storytelling while beat em up fans who lament Batman combat being in everything should enjoy the combat.

Housh

I'm really excited to play this. I have been waiting so long. I think I'm going to pick up a physical copy of the Japanese game JUST BECAUSE

Shadoken

I will buy this right away. Fuck everything else, even my beloved Bloodborne's DLC can wait.

On the sales, while I don't think it could ever have been a huge seller, I do thing there is an untapped audience out there that would love it but just don't know what Yakuza actually is, if they've even heard of it at all. I could see MGS fans getting a kick out of the storytelling while beat em up fans who lament Batman combat being in everything should enjoy the combat.

This is exactly the problem with the series , the GTA audience are the last people that are going to like this game. And yet its always marketed as some kind of GTA in Japan game.

t26

This is exactly the problem with the series , the GTA audience are the last people that are going to like this game. And yet its always marketed as some kind of GTA in Japan game.

Really only the first game was marketed as GTA, which also happens to be the best selling game in the series. By Yakuza 4 it is marketed as Japanese game, keeping hostess and Mahjong minigame, and changing names back to original Japanese names.

Top Bottom