• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA series announced (Update: 2nd trailer now out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...muyo-ryo-ohki-announced-after-10-years/.94304

iPbm6iL.jpg

4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki Announced After 10 Years
posted on 2015-10-16 14:02 EDT

An official Twitter account and website opened on Friday to announce a Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki Dai-4-Ki (4th Season) project.

The main cast, returning from Ai: Tenchi Muyo!, includes:

Masami Kikuchi as Tenchi Masaki
Ai Orikasa as Ryōko
Haruhi Nanao as Aeka

The website also announces a November 28 event in Takahashi in Okayama Prefecture. The event will focus on the most recent anime, Ai: Tenchi Muyo!, as well as the newly-announced Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki Dai-4-Ki anime. The three main cast members, along with Ai: Tenchi Muyo!'s Rui Tanabe (Rui Aoi) and Azusa Satou (Yuki Fuka), will attend the event.

https://twitter.com/tenchi4th

The OG waifu war returns.

Team Aeka or get out.

UPDATE: A trailer's up now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJ-9Hl4bhU

Supposed to start coming out November 30.

pGojzlF.jpg

C8ULJAg.jpg

1EH1O7c.jpg

fRX1GOg.jpg

PsWd9sD.jpg

5scKeat.jpg

ugFUvqE.jpg

Im pretty sure all the girls marrying tenchi is actually canon.

As fucking weird as that is.

But I doubt that will ever be referenced here or in any further series within the ova continuity.

Either way we all know Sasami is best waifu.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Im pretty sure all the girls marrying tenchi is actually canon.

As fucking weird as that is.

But I doubt that will ever be referenced here or in any further series within the ova continuity.

Either way we all know Sasami is best waifu.

How can there be canon beyond these OVAs? My understanding is that this IS the canon series, everything else is an alternate universe adaptation or spinoff.

Or is GXP in the Ryo Ohki canon?

Umibozu

You wish.
Team Ryouko ftw. And Aeka is still not over Yosho ;-)
In the manga he's actually still young but doesn't want to marry her so disguises himself as having grown old from earth stay :p
Agree ryouko is the best, and I think the last ova had him young and in disguise as well.

How can there be canon beyond these OVAs? My understanding is that this IS the canon series, everything else is an alternate universe adaptation or spinoff.

Or is GXP in the Ryo Ohki canon?
GXP and war of geminar are both ova canon.

Everything else is either tenchi universe canon or its own separate thing.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Where do I pay for my full price pre-order? Regardless of quality or content, it will be good <3

Hopefully this is a return to form.
Honesty I liked GXP and war of geminar to varying degrees. But ova 1 and 2 are just fantastic works of anime and are incredibly hard to approach quality wise let alone top.

Even then 3 was disappointingly subpar.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Honesty I liked GXP and war of geminar to varying degrees. But ova 1 and 2 are just fantastic works of anime and are incredibly hard to approach quality wise let alone top.

I was ok with the silly slice-of-life parts of OVA3. The rest was pretty meh.

I actually really enjoyed GXP, because it didn't take itself series in the least.

Also was the first series to say 'why have a waifu war in a society that is polygamist anyway?".

Sciz

I'm continually surprised that anything even tangentially related to this franchise continues to be made in this day and age, but a full on continuation of the original continuity, as OVAs? Mind-boggling.

Hoping for the best, as long as some batshit crazy sci-fi drama doesn't get in the way again.

Mitch

Banned
I need this in my life. Tenchi In Tokyo is the last one I kept up with, and that was when it aired on Toonami. So it's been a long time since I last watched anything Tenchi related.

Effect

Agree ryouko is the best, and I think the last ova had him young and in disguise as well.

Yeah I think at least in the OVA series they kept to that. They changed that I think in the Universe and Tokyo versions though.

This is good news that the series is still alive just as a general thing. As a fan I'm not sure how much I really care after the 3rd OVA series. I don't think I ever even finished it. I remember being feed up and then finally checking out GXP for the first time and loving that. Loved the DUAL! connection it had which is another series I really enjoyed.

Now if there was going to be a new universe or a sequel to GXP I'd be hyped.

Paltheos

OVA3 killed my excitement. If this is the same team behind that, ick. Cleaning up that mess anyway is gonna be tough. From looking at that promotional art and from what we got in OVA3 I think that this production will be a step down in quality from OVAs 1 and 2, which are by far the best looking stuff the franchise has to offer (Universe has the same style but is consistently lower budget).

Goddamn OVA3 is disappointing, but I may check OVA4 out out of a blind hope they manage to recapture some of the magic of the first ones. I mean, shoot, in retrospect Tenchi was never stellar material but those first OVAs were competently done, at least, and I loved 'em as a kid dammit.

maruchan

I use to like this show but with the expanded universe I have no clue what is happening. Like tenchis little half brother has the ability to create light hawk wings like tenchi. And the reason being its passed by his father who is now a decdent of some jurai royalty, instead of the masaki family.. Or some shit..

cj_iwakura

Is Kajishima going to be in charge of this like with OVA 3?

Cause if so I don't want it.

This. OVA3 was terrible, it RUINED Tokimi.

Heh, I just rewatched OVA1, and the Kagato finale still gives me chills.

You've won, boy.
Also, I believe Tenchi marrying all of them(including Mihoshi!?) is canon because Juraians are polygamist.

The only thing I liked about Universe was that godlike OP.

As someone who enjoyed Tenchi but is only familiar with the 3 series that ran on Toonami...how does all of this shit fit together? All 3 shows were in different time lines, Tokyo, Muyo, & Universe. I remember they made another series called Ryo Oki which I never watched because I was told it was just a remake of Muyo. So what is the deal?

cj_iwakura

As someone who enjoyed Tenchi but is only familiar with the 3 series that ran on Toonami...how does all of this shit fit together? I all 3 shows were in different time lines, Tokyo, Muyo, & Universe. I remember they made another series called Ryo Oki which I never watched because I was told it was just a remake of Muyo. So what is the deal?

The very very first series was Ryo Ohki, an OVA. It was six episodes, ending on Kagato's death. The next six were about Lady Tokimi and slice-of-life shenanigans. That's OVA2. It ended on a cliffhanger with the Tokimi arc unfinished, she was a puppet master over 2's antagonist.

OVA3 was the most recent one, resolving the Tokimi arc. It was garbage.

Universe was made after OVA2, a reboot. The major differences being Kagato having a much bigger role(he's a Juraian instead of a mad scientist), and Ayeka's relation to Tenchi through Yosho was pretty different too if memory serves.

Tokyo was yet another reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom