• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy War Tactics F2P Japanese style SRPG for IOS/Android

ReaperXL7

09625580014291656447438_Fantasy-War-Tactics-620x350.jpg

So I have been debating on posting a thread for this game because I am not sure what the interest level is in it but I have been playing it since release on friday and have really been enjoying it as I love SRPGs. I was somewhat concerned about how P2W the game would be but it looks like Nexon is taking some of the player feedback to heart as the next update is actually pretty positive. They are lowering the amount of time to regain your stamina and havling the cost of genes needed to collect heroes as well as a few other quality of life stuff.

http://m.nexon.com/forum/thread/1365-Patch-Note---1110(Tue)

GACHA INFO:

The Gacha mechanics is pretty light in FWT as all you need to do is progress through the main campaign and each time you see a level with a characters portrait above it you can farm that level on hard and hell modes to get the genes for the character. Each time you enter a new zone it will tell you on the top left side which heroes will be available to farm for in that zone and how many pieces you'll need to summon them. After you have them you can still farm more genes to upgrade that heroes abilities. The only exceptions to this are the four starter heroes due to you getting their genes from your DNA extractor in your lab, there are also a couple exclusive to arena(pvp) rewards, and expedition rewards.

The only random pull machine within the game currently is for equipment, but equipment is also easily farmable from various levels in the game. This also means that there is no rerolling since everyone gets the same four starting heroes and who you choose to farm for is up to you.

For those that are not informed on what the game is here is some quick information:

Fantasy War Tactics has brought the fun of SRPG into Mobile Game. It gives fun in playing with the best strategies among cooperation, adversary and terrain, in challenging yourself and in getting achievements. It allows players to enjoy attractive SRPG feature that collects and levels up the heroes. Based on the unique view of the world, absorbing scenarios make you feel like watching an animation. Various contents like 12 regions, 180 dungeons, PVP(Player vs. Player), and laboratories will guide you to a world of exotic fantasy.

you can find out more about the specifics here:
https://m.nexon.com/forum/board/27-Game-Guide

Fantasy%2BWar%2BTactics%2B2.jpg

20150414231503a0e2k8wy0bl1i1x2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co9ExaFPerM

Google
https://i.nx.com/fvh

IOS
https://i.nx.com/fvg

So far the game is really solid and has all of the features and aspects of an SRPG that you would expect.I was quite surprised when I gave it a shot because until it released I had never heard of it.

Gaffers playing:

IOS:
Aesir
Insomnium
Garath
Xam
commish
colinp
Lactose

Android:
sattori
Cuk
N30RYU

Is it really just released recently?
I think I've installed it last month or so, not sure which version though (English SEA, perhaps). Too bad my phone can't handle it. It was playable but framerate is pretty low. I really loved the artstyle.

ReaperXL7

Is it really just released recently?
I think I've installed it last month or so, not sure which version though (English SEA, perhaps). Too bad my phone can't handle it. It was playable but framerate is pretty low. I really loved the artstyle.

Yeah, the global version just released on Friday, I havent noticed any issues with framerate but im not sensitive to that kind of stuff usually.

Also quick tip for anyone interested in playing, hang on to your Red gems ( the games buyable currency as its recommended to use them on upgrading your expedtitions to lvl 4, and buying a lord costume.

garath

I've been playing this non stop since Friday. In terms of initial appeal, this is one of my favorite gatcha games I've played so far. It's a legitimate tactical rpg game with a good amount of initial content for the release.

I second the notion of getting expedition to level 4 asap. Then start using your ancient coins to get as many gene fragments of Mu as you can from the store. You are limited to 10 per day and need 200+ to recruit so best to get started asap.

looks like a Korean made game.

Click on link.... oh

Anyway , hmm video looks decent but its more like Luminous Arc and Disgaea and less like FE and FFT .

ReaperXL7

looks like a Korean made game.

Click on link.... oh

Anyway , hmm video looks decent but its more like Luminous Arc and Disgaea and less like FE and FFT .

I believe Nexon is Korean but the gameplay style is in the vein of JSRPGs like Disgaea and tactics ogre. If your into that style of game I'd easily recommend at least trying it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Game is so much better than it has any right to with that terrible name. Really into it.

garath

Yeah the name is super bad lol.

Some more tips of things I've come across:

Progress the story asap, until you get to the later stages of island 3 and unlock the 5th party slot. That will make life easier.

Get carrot asap. She is a serious damage dealer. I gave her my unique 1* sword.

Upgrade your gear. I make sure everyone has at least maxed green gear. Blue for my strongest guys.

Upgrade skills using genes. The original party gets a lot from the unknown fragments but the new members need to be farmed.

Rest of it I'm still figuring out myself.

Its hard getting the components to get people to 3*. I don't have enough to rebirth anyone to 3* yet. Want to do Chris, carrot and Deborah asap. Just have to keep farming I guess and hope to get lucky. Can only reliably complete the first 3 tiers.

commish

I'm not sure what to spend my rubies on. I have my expedition up to 4, and I actually have next to no rubies, but when I do get some, not sure what to spend it on. This reminds me of Heroes Charge, where you didn't really get units from gacha but instead farmed their stages for them. In that game, most people never used the gacha much but would use their premium currency to buy additional attempts on particular stages. Maybe the same here. I know someone said to buy a new outfit for the main character, so maybe I'll look into that. Really refreshing how there's nothing that screams "pay money for me!".

garath

I'm not sure what to spend my rubies on. I have my expedition up to 4, and I actually have next to no rubies, but when I do get some, not sure what to spend it on. This reminds me of Heroes Charge, where you didn't really get units from gacha but instead farmed their stages for them. In that game, most people never used the gacha much but would use their premium currency to buy additional attempts on particular stages. Maybe the same here. I know someone said to buy a new outfit for the main character, so maybe I'll look into that. Really refreshing how there's nothing that screams "pay money for me!".

The things I see repeated over and over in terms of good to use crystals on is a costume for Lord since it applies to all units (though it costs 1k), doing x10 pulls for equipment as this is the only way to get accessories and set pieces and further leveling expedition.

I'm saving for a lord costume right now. I have around 500 crystals. Next I'll do some equipment pulls for accessories.

RM8

Eh, why not. I love SRPGs and it doesn't seem like I have to rub anyone's face in this game. Downloading!

commish

Garath, what's your in game name so I can add you? I'm currently running through about 60 Dragon Blaze shoes so I can't check my own name :p

Edit: Anyone playing, post your in game names, I should say!

ReaperXL7

Thinking about running through this. Did it just come out today?

The global release was Friday yeah, and don't let the amount of pieces needed to farm heroes deterr you from enjoying it because there is a massive nerf for how many you need coming tomorrow.

In terms of spending rubies on the equipment gacha it's best to wait from what I read because they do an event in which a black Cocoon (the gacha machine) will give you a higher chance for equipment set pieces.

If anyone wants to add me on game my id is Aesir, my leader right now is my three star Golem. Also just realized that when tomarrows update bits I'll already have Jenny because I have 20 genes and the amount you need is changing to only 8

garath

Garath, what's your in game name so I can add you? I'm currently running through about 60 Dragon Blaze shoes so I can't check my own name :p

Edit: Anyone playing, post your in game names, I should say!

Name ingame is garath :)

Ive delegated dragon blaze to daily logins for now. Needed a break. Loving this game though. Plenty to grind here hah.

Need to more of the big green pieces and I will have enough to get Deborah to 3*. Then just have to get her to 40.

ReaperXL7

Really don't want another GACHA game taking up my time...but srpgs bro.

Honestly, if its the gacha aspect thats got you unsure you've no need to worry. Its such a small thing since your only doing it for equipment in the game that I wouldnt be shocked if you could ignore it completely.

*As an aside, what is IGN? I see a lot of people mentioning it lately, but the only IGN i know of is the game site. Is it similar to Line?

Li Kao

Honestly, if its the gacha aspect thats got you unsure you've no need to worry. Its such a small thing since your only doing it for equipment in the game that I wouldnt be shocked if you could ignore it completely.

*As an aside, what is IGN? I see a lot of people mentioning it lately, but the only IGN i know of is the game site. Is it similar to Line?

In Game Name ?

ReaperXL7

In Game Name ?

Oh lol, makes sense. The way I have seen it around lately I thought it was a new messaging service or something.

I probably would have passed, but the terrain isn't a flat plane, so I'm going to give it a go.

Its pretty simple in the beginning but as you get into some higher level zones the terrain really starts to change, there are also a number of other mechanics built into that aspect with special tiles that will buff your party but can be stolen by enemies, or the fact that units have bounses based on their terrain affinity.

commish

how bad is the IAP?

What's GACHA? like slot machines?

It's really not bad at all. You earn characters through gameplay, so there's no need to constantly pull on the gacha for that uber character. Gacha is for gear. I'm the first person to spend money on these types of games (a character flaw), but so far in this one, as I mention above, I don't even know what I'd spend it on.

Of course, it might get more IAP heavy down the road.

ReaperXL7

So who is everyone using so far?

My current team is

Golem Lance
Big shot Carrot
Deborah
Alfred
Bard Mas

I'm probably going to replace Kai for Cowgirl Jenny for the combo synergy with Carrot or Sonic boom which is the first boss of Vulcan island but I still to level a bit before I can do his hard/hell stages game has a pretty nice difficultly curve as it has ramped up but no huge spikes unless my team just wasn't ready

commish

I am running with:

Carrot
Mas
Kai
Srakas or whatever
Chris

Still have a few decades before I have enough genes for some of those other characters.

garath

Damn maintenance. :(

On the bright side, I got my last piece to rebirth Deborah to 3*. Just need to grind her to 40. Chris is almost 40 but I'm not sure when the blue day is.

My team is:

Carrot
Chris
Deborah
Saraka
Alfred

I don't have access to that many yet.

ReaperXL7

Damn maintenance. :(

On the bright side, I got my last piece to rebirth Deborah to 3*. Just need to grind her to 40. Chris is almost 40 but I'm not sure when the blue day is.

My team is:

Carrot
Chris
Deborah
Saraka
Alfred

I don't have access to that many yet.

I think blue is on Wednesday but I'm not sure as we haven't gotten a full week yet. I got a bunch of rebirth stones over the weekend since they had all of the gates open on Sunday so I got enough blues to rebirth two blue heroes. I'm probably going to use it on Carrot and Mas, possibly Jenny but I want to see how she is first.

Getting The next set of heroes will be much easier in terms of pieces since Mas/Jenny/pig man are being brought down from 23 to 8 and the three in Vulcan came down from 52 genes to just 15

ReaperXL7

Any social/friends stuff in this? Like using a friend's unit in your party?

Yep, no guilds yet but you are able to use your friends units for Battle(except pvp) for expeditions, and send friend points for the friend point gatcha(equipment/stamina/and level boosters)

There is also an in game chat box with channels, if we can get enough people we could probably use a channel for Gaf

Xiaoki

Its a pretty good SRPG, the story is fun and its not in your face with microtransactions.

If you like SRPGs I really recommend giving it a try.

Hm doesn't look like it is out on the JP store just yet.

I will definitely try it out when I get the chance. With FF Brave Exvius I have actually found a mobile RPG that I legitimately like quite a bit so I am hoping this one turns out that way as well.

Insomnium

Just started, loving the game so far. After Brave Frontier I was looking for a game to spend time with during daily commute. This reminds me of Re:Monster is another bonus xD My IGN is Insomnium (iOS)

garath

Looks like we get our first black capsule to buy in the shop today?

I don't see it yet. I think it should be there though.

Black capsule has higher chance for set pieces. I have around 550 crystals. Will probably forego my costume saving for this.

colinp

Banned
Just started playing but this is pretty fun. Definitely gorgeous art, but I'm just skipping through the story.

My name is colinp in game. Feel free to add me! I have no idea how to add people yet, but maybe I haven't unlocked that yet.

garath

I just noticed on the patch notes they reduced the stage 3 stone requirement for the 2* rebirth from 3 to 1. Hallelujah. I think they might have stealthed bumped up the drop rate too. I already have two red ones from today.

If I can get the levels, I'll be able to get Deborah and Alfred to 3*. Alfred is close. He's 35.

I think I need to do that before I can progress. I just can't beat 3-10. The red demons do so much damage and stun lock my party. It's very difficult.

Might need to level mas too. Could probably use a healer.

ReaperXL7

I just noticed on the patch notes they reduced the stage 3 stone requirement for the 2* rebirth from 3 to 1. Hallelujah. I think they might have stealthed bumped up the drop rate too. I already have two red ones from today.

If I can get the levels, I'll be able to get Deborah and Alfred to 3*. Alfred is close. He's 35.

I think I need to do that before I can progress. I just can't beat 3-10. The red demons do so much damage and stun lock my party. It's very difficult.

Might need to level mas too. Could probably use a healer.

Yeah I hadn't seen anything about that prior to the patch so it was a pleasant surprise, also pretty cool when you log on and just have a new character unlocked due to the gene requirement decrease. Jenny is pretty awesome so far and does some really nice damage even though I only have her at 2* so far.

I'm really going to need to grind that potential dungeon as its spends real quick after you get past level one. I think for Jenny I'm going to just focus on crit and damage, might throw some dodge in if RNG is good to me.

Rixa

I played this few weeks when it was released in SEA. The problem for me was that battles take a long time and you might need to manually do them (auto was dumb). Also later on its all about farming random Gene samples.

garath

Yeah I hadn't seen anything about that prior to the patch so it was a pleasant surprise, also pretty cool when you log on and just have a new character unlocked due to the gene requirement decrease. Jenny is pretty awesome so far and does some really nice damage even though I only have her at 2* so far.

I'm really going to need to grind that potential dungeon as its spends real quick after you get past level one. I think for Jenny I'm going to just focus on crit and damage, might throw some dodge in if RNG is good to me.

I just got jenny too thanks to double gene drop. Not sure where she'll fit in my party. Don't have any resources to spare on her right now. Getting through 3-10 is my biggest priority

Edit: I think they messed up the black coocoo event. Doesn't seem to be available in the shop.

garath

Black capsule is up. Go go go.

I'm going to get x10 of the 1* I think. It won't let me buy the 3* since I don't have any yet. I'm half a level from making one :(

Edit: nice. Got three set pieces, two of the same set. Three accessories, two of red quality. Not bad not bad. The gatcha thrill is definitely there lol

Top Bottom