• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F? 6 Black Students Ejected of Apple Store Because They “Might Steal Something"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

I thought Apple already apologised. Need some review of store policies and the staff and manager responsible should be gone.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I had to kick a bunch of kids out of a store I worked in once, they happened to be black... and stealing stuff.

But yeah, it's why they have surveillance equipment and security guards to stop people stealing. Didn't even give them a chance.

Southern Australia is like The South in America, full of racist hicks, probably worse even.

Dishwalla

Banned
Always thought it was rather difficult to steal from an Apple Store. For one thing there's people everywhere, it would be so hard to do without being noticed.

Bagerk

I had to kick a bunch of kids out of a store I worked in once, they happened to be black... and stealing stuff.

But yeah, it's why they have surveillance equipment and security guards to stop people stealing. Didn't even give them a chance.

Southern Australia is like The South in America, full of racist hicks, probably worse even.

Nah it's the opposite here. We keep the rednecks to the north, closer to the equator. Keeps their necks warmer. We are all about craft beers and quinoa down here.

YourMaster

This could very well be ethnic profiling, but it could also not be the first time these teens visited this or other stores and that last time didn't work out too well.

After said the principal of their school accompanied the students back to the store to help them in seeking an apology.

“[The manager] apologised to us and told us that we are welcome here anytime,” he said. “It feels like we have justice now.”

Good on him doing that

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
they might be thinking of tasmania

not unique to any part of australia, sadly

Ah, race riots are I'm afraid. Can't remember the last time we had one in QLD. All this shits pretty exclusive to you guys, sorry to say. You can keep trying to palm it off but yeah, no.

chrislowe

I knew a guy working in a store were they wanted to kick people out, cause when certain persons gets in the store, stuff dissappears.

And if you notice the same 4 people in the store another time, stuff are missing afterwards, but you have no evidence since you couldnt see anything on the camera etc, you cant do anything.

So it could have been like this also, cause Im pretty sure there were lots of colored people that didnt get threw out from the store.

Browny

Banned
There's a joke here about Android, but it's clearly not worth it.

No denying it's pretty shitty (to say the least), and some people are gonna get fired. And rightly so.

Edit: just noticed the apology post - that does help things, so well done.

Frodo

This could very well be ethnic profiling, but it could also not be the first time these teens visited this or other stores and that last time didn't work out too well.

Oh yes, let's give them the benefit of the doubt, right?

One of the students evicted from the store, Mabior Ater, told Fairfax Media that he had been going to the Highpoint shopping centre for a long time.

“I never thought something like this would happen ... of course I was offended,” he said.

It's like clockwork!

The one thing that does bug me though - as soon as something kicks off (not just in an incident of racism, but in general - even just a disagreement), someone has to video it. Just to be able to post it on the internet. Fuck's sake.

I'm sorry, I don't get it... What is the problem with that?

Browny

Banned
I'm sorry, I don't get it... What is the problem with that?

I'm not sure I phrased that right (especially given the subject matter) - just seems that everywhere someone is willing to film something, rather than talk about it as human beings before it escalates.

Still not sure I'm phrasing it right...

NewGame

Banned
I'm pretty sure a group of white school students would get ejected too. this is class and monatary profiling.

also kids are troublemakers. i would know, i was one of them

*sets the display computers to read out Microsoft Sam spam and cranks the volume*

Frodo

I'm not sure I phrased that right (especially given the subject matter) - just seems that everywhere someone is willing to film something, rather than talk about it as human beings before it escalates.

Still not sure I'm phrasing it right...

I think I get it, but in this case good thing they filmed it. The guy ejecting them from the store is not willing to talk, he is just like "these guys think you might steal something, so go away. End of discussion, end of discussion". There was no intention to talk.

I'm pretty sure a group of white school students would get ejected too. this is class and monatary profiling.

*sets the display computers to read out Microsoft Sam spam and cranks the volume*

All of the shops near my school had signs in the windows saying "one child at a time" and they'd kick you out if you tried to go in as a group.

Browny

Banned
I think I get it, but in this case good thing they filmed it. The guy ejecting them from the store is not willing to talk, he is just like "these guys think you might steal something, so go away. End of discussion, end of discussion". There was no intention to talk.
Absolutely agree in this case, given the guy wasn't willing to talk. It's probably the other instances of "film first, ask questions later" that are riling me.

Surprised you didn't post this amazing gem that was found on Facebook and shown in the BBC's take on the story:

_86641537_ed77e531-44b9-47be-aee9-844a41873cfa.jpg

I... I just don't know whether people are being serious anymore

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Almost certainly racist. I'm glad they've apologised.

You'd think with such minuscule numbers of black Africans, American stereotypes regarding black people would not have been able to gain a foothold in Australia.

I knew a guy working in a store were they wanted to kick people out, cause when certain persons gets in the store, stuff dissappears.

And if you notice the same 4 people in the store another time, stuff are missing afterwards, but you have no evidence since you couldnt see anything on the camera etc, you cant do anything.

So it could have been like this also, cause Im pretty sure there were lots of colored people that didnt get threw out from the store.

lots of colored people

1hrKpek.jpg

Zaph

Regional management is going to come down on the store manager like a ton of bricks. Would be surprised if they get to keep their job.

There's a reason most expensive stock is kept in the back room, visible security is minimal, and you're encouraged to spend as much time as you like with the demo products.

Apple goes to great effort to maintain the open image of their stores, even if it sacrifices their loss prevention abilities (which is a negligible amount anyway), and a headline like this is a PR nightmare.

edit: lol at the comparisons to 'one child at a time' policies. This is fucking Apple, not your local sweet shop.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
There's a joke here about Android, but it's clearly not worth it.

No denying it's pretty shitty (to say the least), and some people are gonna get fired. And rightly so.

Edit: just noticed the apology post - that does help things, so well done.

The one thing that does bug me though - as soon as something kicks off (not just in an incident of racism, but in general - even just a disagreement), someone has to video it. Just to be able to post it on the internet. Fuck's sake.
Why does it bug you? You know what bugs me that people have to be subjected to racism. If everyone can record it they should

All of the shops near my school had signs in the windows saying "one child at a time" and they'd kick you out if you tried to go in as a group.

Ditto

Without knowing more - I'd have thought this was typical profiling based on age group rather than ethnicity.

I'm staying on the fence here unless there really is more to sway me off

2015, where the word "colored" is constantly used by non-white people to say non-white people.

People of Color and colored have two completely different uses.

So not only have I slipped through time but alternate realities too.

You'd think with such minuscule numbers of black Africans, American stereotypes regarding black people would not have been able to gain a foothold in Australia.

America neither invented nor patented negative stereotypes against people of African descent.

It is too early in the morning for ya'll shenanigans right now.

andthebeatgoeson

So not only have I slipped through time but alternate realities too.

America neither invented nor patented negative stereotypes against people of African descent.

It is too early in the morning for ya'll shenanigans right now.
Haha. It's simply gaf. Some parts you don't see for a long time.

It took a few posts before people broke out the CSI kit to find an alternate theory.

sfedai0

Banned

I'll assume you were just born yesterday to think racism against blacks is inherent to Americans, or racism in general.

Can't say I would be surprised regardless of the answer of where this took place. Black people are treated poorly in basically the entire globe.

Novocaine

I'm pretty sure a group of white school students would get ejected too. this is class and monetary profiling.

Yeah this is the most likely scenario. Of course 6 white kids getting denied entry to an Apple store wouldn't make an article worth discussing.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I'll assume you were just born yesterday to think racism against blacks is inherent to Americans, or racism in general.

Of course I don't think it is inherent to America I was just writing quickly and didn't word myself correctly.

I do think, however, think that American media, which has completely dominated Australian culture for the last 60+ years, has played a major role in propagating racism and stereotypes against black people.

I also think Institutionalised white colonialist ideas have played a part but I'm not sure if it is as large. Especially given Australia's history where colonialism is more immediately associated with the treatment of aboriginals.

Ditto

Without knowing more - I'd have thought this was typical profiling based on age group rather than ethnicity.

I'm staying on the fence here unless there really is more to sway me off

Yeah this is the most likely scenario. Of course 6 white kids getting denied entry to an Apple store wouldn't make an article worth discussing.

Pretty sure that's not Apple's policy though, but go ahead keep making excuses for them.

Megatron

Isn't the basis of Australia that's it's where all the Euopeans sent their criminals? The black students were the ones in danger here being surrounded by all those descendants of thieves and murderers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom