• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F? 6 Black Students Ejected of Apple Store Because They “Might Steal Something"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised you didn't post this amazing gem that was found on Facebook and shown in the BBC's take on the story:

_86641537_ed77e531-44b9-47be-aee9-844a41873cfa.jpg

I... I just don't know whether people are being serious anymore

I'd like to think not with that comment...

...wow...

Enzom21

Surprised you didn't post this amazing gem that was found on Facebook and shown in the BBC's take on the story:

He most likely knew some genius here would post the exact same bullshit. Exhibit A:
Yeah this is the most likely scenario. Of course 6 white kids getting denied entry to an Apple store wouldn't make an article worth discussing.

Mohonky

Isn't the basis of Australia that's it's where all the Euopeans sent their criminals? The black students were the ones in danger here being surrounded by all those descendants of thieves and murderers.

Yeh, being a criminal is hereditary. Like being of a particularly race makes you more likely to be a criminal or certain theologies makes you a terrorist.

hohoXD123

There's a joke here about Android, but it's clearly not worth it.

No denying it's pretty shitty (to say the least), and some people are gonna get fired. And rightly so.

Edit: just noticed the apology post - that does help things, so well done.

The one thing that does bug me though - as soon as something kicks off (not just in an incident of racism, but in general - even just a disagreement), someone has to video it. Just to be able to post it on the internet. Fuck's sake.
Good, hope someone records and uploads every bit of bigotry which happens so that more attention is drawn to it and something can be done

racist as fuck

I've heard of shops that limit or don't allow groups of kids/students but they post that outside the store, so no excuse here.

The reason why this shit has to be taped every time it happens is because black people rarely get the benefit of the doubt. You still have people doing mental gymnastics to try and pretend like the world is rosy and that racism is over.

Yeah this is the most likely scenario. Of course 6 white kids getting denied entry to an Apple store wouldn't make an article worth discussing.

Bzzt, wrong. Apple doesn't have a hard limit, or even soft limit, on the number of patrons allowed in the store. Nowhere is it listed on their sites, nowhere I've been has ejected the college students wandering in to play with stuff, and absolutely no Apple store would talk to a group like that.

Of course, use that deflection at the end to pretend like race still isn't an issue, tho.

Personal attacks because I have a differing opinion? Yeah stay classy mate.

You really wanna use the "stay classy" line after using the "you wouldn't get an article over white kids getting denied"?

Valhelm

contribute something

Most white people think of racism as specific, deliberate acts of open hatred.

akira28

But I was told that Australia doesn't have a race problem! By T.I., various GAF members, and ASAP Ferg!

I know folks from OZ in real life, and know they have had race and sex equality issues for years, so I always take internet opinions with a heaping spoonful of grainy salt. Of course, the frog in the water has trouble telling the temperature. And people like to think the best of their situations unless give reason not to, so of course people would prefer to think things have changed or have gotten better.

But my optimism has been getting fucked with over the past years, so...

Chariot

There nees to be more movies and series that have he low-key racism as topic. Racism is a topic that is used often, but more often than not it escalates within seconds.

Of course there are people excusing this ITT. "Kids are troublemakers" smh, if they were causing trouble there wouldn't be an issue kicking them out. But you can't kick people out just for being in the store.

The reason why this shit has to be taped every time it happens is because black people rarely get the benefit of the doubt. You still have people doing mental gymnastics to try and pretend like the world is rosy and that racism is over.

Bingo!

Yahtzee!

Exactly what I was thinking. Not Australia. Then again, noticed a few Austrians on here defend wrongdoing by the police in the US..it's starting to make sense!

I mean, that is where Hitler came from
;)

Every Apple store I have ever been in is full of kids checking their Facebook pages on the numerous iPads, Macs, and iPhones on display. Never seen a group kicked out, except for a multi-racial group who were blatantly fucking around and being a nuisance in the store in Kingston.

Steal something from an Apple Store?

What could you steal in an Apple store that doesn't have GPS/GEO tracking or wouldn't set off 10,000 alarms?

As soon as you turn on the WIFI or Data or even connect via USB to a PC/Mac, you're pretty much tagged and bagged.

Seems like a complete overreaction by the guards.

Steal something from an Apple Store?

What could you steal in an Apple store that doesn't have GPS/GEO tracking or wouldn't set off 10,000 alarms?

As soon as you turn on the WIFI or Data or even connect via USB to a PC/Mac, you're pretty much tagged and bagged.

Seems like a complete overreaction by the guards.

I imagine most people steal phones to resell them for cash, not to keep. But I do agree it's an overreaction, and unacceptable.

Novocaine

Bzzt, wrong. Apple doesn't have a hard limit, or even soft limit, on the number of patrons allowed in the store. Nowhere is it listed on their sites, nowhere I've been has ejected the college students wandering in to play with stuff, and absolutely no Apple store would talk to a group like that.

Of course, use that deflection at the end to pretend like race still isn't an issue, tho.

You really wanna use the "stay classy" line after using the "you wouldn't get an article over white kids getting denied"?

Show me where I said it was Apple's policy to not let groups into their store. Show me where I try to pretend like racism isn't an issue on Australia.

I never said either of those things, stop twisting my words.

Enzom21

Personal attacks because I have a differing opinion? Yeah stay classy mate.
That's rich after you dropped the "no one would care if these kids were white." nonsense. You pretty much pulled out the "people need to stop playing the race card."

How is what you posted any different than the stupid as shit Facebook post?

Show me where I said it was Apple's policy to not let groups into their store. Show me where I try to pretend like racism isn't an issue on Australia.

I never said either of those things, stop twisting my words.

You agreed to a post stating that this was somehow about class instead of race due to the number of people. That's a bunk assertion because Apple doesn't have a policy like that, despite you saying that this is "most likely the case".

And then this comes up:

Of course 6 white kids getting denied entry to an Apple store wouldn't make an article worth discussing.

I'm not twisting your words, you have chosen to be blind on the exact shit you posted here.

"Look, I didn't say that EXACTLY. I mean I'm practically stating it but those aren't my exact to-the-letter words."

Six white students getting kicked out wouldn't make news because the shit doesn't fucking happen, people. How (purposely?) dense can you be about this?

And if it does happen, there would most likely be some probable cause, not some textbook racial profiling.

Novocaine

You guys aren't really suggesting that 6 white kids getting denied entry to an Apple store would have created a news article, or a thread discussing the issue on GAF are you? Come the fuck on.

Six white students getting kicked out wouldn't make news because the shit doesn't fucking happen, people. How (purposely?) dense can you be about this?

And if it does happen, there would most likely be some probable cause, not some textbook racial profiling.

Man Neogaf needs to add daps or something.

You guys aren't really suggesting that 6 white kids getting denied entry to an Apple store would have created a news article, or a thread discussing the issue on GAF are you? Come the fuck on.

It would if it were a case of racial profiling.

But, how often does that happen? Since when are white people racially profiled for specific crimes?

Ploid 3.0

I knew a guy working in a store were they wanted to kick people out, cause when certain persons gets in the store, stuff dissappears.

And if you notice the same 4 people in the store another time, stuff are missing afterwards, but you have no evidence since you couldnt see anything on the camera etc, you cant do anything.

So it could have been like this also, cause Im pretty sure there were lots of colored people that didnt get threw out from the store.

I've been watching the show "Caught Red Handed" on youtube and it's amazing how many different people steal stuff, especially employees. Employees are the worst and rob you blind. Anybody, any color will steal and yes if you have actually seen someone steal and ban them from the store you should not let them back in.

Yeah, these kids could be people that were caught before, maybe they aren't, maybe they looked suspicious, maybe they dressed too urban, who knows yet?

Dude just take the L and walk away. Yes you technically didn't say anything egregious if we look at your post literally, but your implication was as clear as day. You know, we know it, you're not fooling anybody.

I've been watching the show "Caught Red Handed" on youtube and it's amazing how many different people steal stuff, especially employees. Employees are the worst and rob you blind. Anybody, any color will steal and yes if you have actually seen someone steal and ban them from the store you should not let them back in.

Yeah, these kids could be people that were caught before, maybe they aren't, maybe they looked suspicious, maybe they dressed too urban, who knows yet?

I suggest you watch the video in the link.

They appear to be wearing uniforms or at least campus sweaters of some kind

Come the fuck on? You're trying to hand wave this situation when it's clear as day what happened here. What are you in here trying to suggest with your posts?

One of the students evicted from the store, Mabior Ater, told Fairfax Media that he had been going to the Highpoint shopping centre for a long time.

“I never thought something like this would happen ... of course I was offended,” he said.

Ater said the principal of their school accompanied the students back to the store to help them in seeking an apology.

“[The manager] apologised to us and told us that we are welcome here anytime,” he said. “It feels like we have justice now.”

It was racial profiling. But apparently because anything is possible at all it probably isn't racial profiling right.

Man Neogaf needs to add daps or something.

I would like this, but I think of Reddit every time this is brought up and how annoying it will be to see shit posts like the white students not getting any headlines get tons of likes.

It's not racism because [hypothetical situation]

It literally never changes

They come up with new fuckshit every month to keep the status quo going. I bet they run starter packs for Juniors that like to pop up with crazy posts, too.

Ploid 3.0

I suggest you watch the video in the link.

They appear to be wearing uniforms or at least campus sweaters of some kind

I haven't watched the video, but I'm in no way siding with the guards or the store. I know how people feel when they shop and have people watch them. I'd shop online if I have the option, and shop in stores with a clear idea of what I want so I can get out fast. When I do just brows with my family I'm very nervous people will treat us like dirt and may end up bringing attention to myself, because I always try to pretend the employees are trying to steal from me to make a game of it.

I will watch the video, and I'll not be surprised if the kids are treated unfairly.

Ninja edit: Oh I just realized what you meant (neogaf dark, bold is easy to miss for me). They weren't dressed urban, which adds a intimidation level to their skin color. Yeah I try not to dress a certain way as well. It seems to give people excuses to think a certain way about others.

It was racial profiling. But apparently because anything is possible at all it probably isn't racial profiling right.

Nope. I was early in the thread when I saw that post and replied to it. In my post I was trying to ease the person into realizing that you can't just deny a person because you suspect they might do something. Especially if you don't know who they are. Also that a lot of other races will steal from a store, it's not something one race, or a brown shade might do. The others are just not as suspected or closely watched, which allow them to get away with alot. "There's no way these two blond girls are thieves."

Novocaine

Dude just take the L and walk away. Yes you technically didn't say anything egregious if we look at your post literally, but your implication was as clear as day. You know, we know it, you're not fooling anybody.

You're right, you got me. I'm a total racist asshole. Maybe even a Nazi!

That's sarcasm by the way, don't try read into it too much.

But I will walk away, I don't have the energy or patience to try and defend myself. You guys sure beat me good and proper in this fight.

But I will walk away, I don't have the energy or patience to try and defend myself. You guys sure beat me good and proper in this fight.

Damn dude just take the L gracefully.

People called you out on your ignorance and the disingenuous way you're denying your own statements, and this is your response. What's wrong with you?

I would like this, but I think of Reddit every time this is brought up and how annoying it will be to see shit posts like the white students not getting any headlines get tons of likes.

I was thinking more of the coli system where it simply shows who and how many people agree with a post. Not the Reddit system where it actually affects post order and visibility, fuck that.

I mean if that's how you choose to describe yourself be my guest.
manny.png

for the record nobody called your a racist. Your initial post was ignorant as hell though, but instead of acknowledging that or even simply leaving the thread you chose to double down, and that's on you.

Enzom21

Is there a history of white people being turned away from stores because of their race? I'm sure you if this were white kids being turned away by black people, you would be in here talking about; " This is real racism and why aren't more people outraged?!"

They come up with new fuckshit every month to keep the status quo going. I bet they run starter packs for Juniors that like to pop up with crazy posts, too.
They could show the usernames of those giving the dap and we would know who else ain't shit.

Mass One

You're falling into the anime-waifu-avatar stereotype. Be understanding of other perspectives and be open to being wrong.

Dai101

Banned
I knew a guy working in a store were they wanted to kick people out, cause when certain persons gets in the store, stuff dissappears.

And if you notice the same 4 people in the store another time, stuff are missing afterwards, but you have no evidence since you couldnt see anything on the camera etc, you cant do anything.

So it could have been like this also, cause Im pretty sure there were lots of colored people that didnt get threw out from the store.

kKSOaIL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom