• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F? 6 Black Students Ejected of Apple Store Because They “Might Steal Something"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

I've been kicked out of a store with a group of friends and none of us were black. Stores probably just suspect that groups of teens are more likely to steal. I have doubts that there was racial motivation here.

Yrael

This post continues to be relevant:

Htown said:
Racism is weird. Everybody knows it totally exists, but when you look at any specific situation, racism is never involved. You can know that it exists, but when you look for it, it turns into something else.

Don%27t_blink.jpg

Racism is quantum locked. It doesn't exist when it's being observed. The moment it is seen by any living creature, it freezes into a coincidence.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
GAF is too quick to jump on the racially upset train because it's not good enough to be not racist, you need to be TURBO not racist by being offended at anything that has black skin in the news/social media.

Even though black people, black americans that is, get super star kayne west status in Australia but that's for another discussion.
What

GAF is too quick to jump on the racially upset train because it's not good enough to be not racist, you need to be TURBO not racist by being offended at anything that has black skin in the news/social media.

Even though black people, black americans that is, get super star kayne west status in Australia but that's for another discussion.

leon.png
Damn, looks like I've been in the wrong country this whole time.

stopit.png

andthebeatgoeson

When I went to Australia, I had the tour bus guide refuse to return is to our hotel. We had to get off and walk. We were there only black family on the bus. It's his literal job; drive people around. That was when I didn't see racism always. Which is funny. It still happened. People tell us to stop talking about racism and it'll disappear.

I wonder if they tell rape victims to stop talking. It's kind of true. They do so much to ignore, if you would only stop talking about it, it never happened.

When I went to Australia, I had the tour bus guide refuse to return is to our hotel. We had to get off and walk. We were there only black family on the bus. It's his literal job; drive people around. That was when I didn't see racism always. Which is funny. It still happened. People tell us to stop talking about racism and it'll disappear.

I wonder if they tell rape victims to stop talking. It's kind of true. They do so much to ignore, if you would only stop talking about it, it never happened.

some men do. Actually, they not only say that, they also tell women they should enjoy it, that they're lucky to get raped. Shocking things to hear from people.

Bold One

E3rfvvB.jpg

Village

Wat

*dying laughing*
WE HAVE ENTERED INTO TURBO RACISM. With the 4 kings of racism! And the secret racism boss.

What happens when we get to 3rd strike racism? Do we get parry mechanics?

How does one ascend to TURBO? Something about treating black people like they're Kanye West, I guess. Would 6 Kanye Wests get kicked out of an Apple Store?

I figured my thoughts on this incident were cut and dry, but I guess it's more complicated than that.

You could also just listen to black people when they tell you what's happening in their life instead of being turbo purposely ignorant.

Frodo

"I'm white and happened to me, therefore not racist"

People need to stop and think of what they are saying for a second. Seriously. Just because you may have been profiled by another standard doesn't mean that black people are not being profiled on a day-to-day basis simply because of the colour of their skin, and it doesn't mean that this specific case on which the store apologised wasn't racism. It was. Thank goodness today we have ways people can communicate and make their voices heard even if they are part of a minority. But then they do make their voices heard you, unfortunately, still get a massive tidal wave of not TURBO not racists parroting the "it's not racism, it's something else/nothing", instead of just listening to what people have to say and how those things can be frustrating and harmful to individuals.

NewGame

Banned

Basically when a black american comes to Australia people view them as 'extremely cool dudes/dudettes' mostly because all of Australias exposure to black americans is through the almighty all knowing television and radio. Hence aforementioned 'kanye west' stardom. This is my personal anecdote so I doubt you're going to find secondary sources or peer reviewed studies about 'do australians have a thing for black americans?'

Come to Australia and find out for yourself. We're only racist to asians and aboriginals and anything middle-eastery. Comfortably if you ask some people.

WE HAVE ENTERED INTO TURBO RACISM.

TURBO not racism actually. The secret last boss of the mall (called shopping center over here) is 'no groups of school children' signs that stores have in fear of handing out five finger discounts. But that's okay this is about racism right? How dare anyone say any differently even though people who grew up and live in Australia have experienced otherwise right?

You could also just listen to black people when they tell you what's happening in their life instead of being turbo purposely ignorant.

Did you ever consider that I'm from Australia and perhap Australians don't have the same issues that America has? I'm pretty sure we don't have any twertter hashtag lives mattress or whatever around here.

Basically when a black american comes to Australia people view them as 'extremely cool dudes/dudettes' mostly because all of Australias exposure to black americans is through the almighty all knowing television and radio. Hence aforementioned 'kanye west' stardom. This is my personal anecdote so I doubt you're going to find secondary sources or peer reviewed studies about 'do australians have a thing for black americans?'

Come to Australia and find out for yourself. We're only racist to asians and aboriginals and anything middle-eastery. Comfortably if you ask some people.

TURBO not racism actually. The secret last boss of the mall (called shopping center over here) is 'no groups of school children' signs that stores have in fear of handing out five finger discounts. But that's okay this is about racism right? How dare anyone say any differently even though people who grew up and live in Australia have experienced otherwise right?

Did you ever consider that I'm from Australia and perhap Australians don't have the same issues that America has? I'm pretty sure we don't have any twertter hashtag lives mattress or whatever around here.

That's a purdy hole you're continuing to dig bro.

Yrael

I'm from Australia too, and you really don't know what you are talking about.

I live in QLD, and yeah, many stores with small, expensive items either have signs against large groups or will tell you to leave.

when I was 15 me and 4 friends were in a sunglasses store, trying them on and talking. 5 minutes later, security walks in and tells us we have to leave because the staff were scared we were shoplifting. They never even asked us to leave.

PopeReal

I've been kicked out of a store with a group of friends and none of us were black. Stores probably just suspect that groups of teens are more likely to steal. I have doubts that there was racial motivation here.

Lol these type of posts.

Cipherr

lookatthisshitxxulw.gif

Best thread all night man. Wow.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So, not to agree with everything else NewGame is saying (whatever it actually is, still not quite sure) but odd as it sounds the idea that there are Australians who would discriminate against Aboriginals and Islanders and black Africans and black Europeans but fall head over heels for black Americans isn't baseless. Not that that wouldn't come with its own load of awkwardness and racial insensitivity, mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom