• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VFX artist who worked on Monster Hunter X now working on an unspecified PS4 title

miku

vKZkCQp.jpg

From the interview with the Monster Hunter X dev

Some rough translation from one of the dev:

-Currently left MHX work, and working on the effects of another title that is in development
-Worked on 3 MonHun titles (main?) for Nintendo 3DS so far including MHX, and wish to take on the challenge of making high-end game next
-In a team that is working on PS4 title at the moment
-For the PS4 title that he is working on, he will make full use of the shaders and all the colorful effects

Capcom is also currently looking for the following:

-Animator
-Technical Animator
-Level Designer
-Lighting Artist
-Concept Artist
-Effect Designer (VFX Designer)
-Character Designer / 3DCG Character Designer (Modeler)
-Project Manager

CONCH0BAR

Give it to me.

This sounds a bit strange. Word of mouth was that they kept MonHun on weaker hardware to save costs with lower poly models and simpler effects, but now the dev team itself is making it sound like they wanna do a big next-gen MonHun. Hopefully Capcom gives them the chance.

Eolz

Lol that title.
A team working on a PS4 title doesn't mean it's a PS4 MonHun (apart if you mean Frontier 2, which isn't made by those guys).
I'm pretty sure every team can't wait for the 3DS to be replaced.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait, does the MH dev actually specificy he's working on a MH PS4 game, or just that he's working on a PS4 game?

I assume NX handheld/console. The 3DS made them a lot of money ant it wouldn't be too costly to make a Vita level game for the new system

Alrus

Give it to me.

This sounds a bit strange. Word of mouth was that they kept MonHun on weaker hardware to save costs with lower poly models and simpler effects, but now the dev team itself is making it sound like they wanna do a big next-gen MonHun. Hopefully Capcom gives them the chance.

They've been reusing Wii level assets for a very very long time now, maybe the higher up at Capcom finally feel they can spend money on new ones.

Although it'll never not be on handheld, that's where the money is for this franchise so I doubt they'd spend too much developping a PS4 exclusive game.

Mentok

Banned
-For the PS4 title that he is working on, he will make full use of the shaders and all the colorful effects

I still would assume the next "high end" MonHun will be a launch title for NX, but IF it is for the PS4 then that's another must have from Japan for me!

JimPanzer

what about using the full capacities of the new 3ds in MHX before talking about high end titles, capcom? game looks and runs worse than MH4U.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I assume NX handheld/console. The 3DS made them a lot of money ant it wouldn't be too costly to make a Vita level game for the new system

But they specifically say PS4 and high end. Its not even a question, but said in the interview.

Danlord

Verendus suggested as much here. I'm hoping we do, it's a franchise I've always wanted to get into but have never got any. Never had a PSP and don't play on Wii / WiiU as well as missing it during PS2 days.

Edit: Wait, he's banned. Why?

Give it to me.

Considering the games look like they were made in the 90s, you don't need the word of mouth. It irritates me when devs make such financial monsters such as Pokemon and Monster Hunter and don't seem to go all out when developing said titles.

Eolz

Verendus suggested as much here. I'm hoping we do, it's a franchise I've always wanted to get into but have never got any. Never had a PSP and don't play on Wii / WiiU as well as missing it during PS2 days.

Edit: Wait, he's banned. Why?

Two games. One is Frontier 2, the other is implied to not be a mainline title, and probably just an HD port (like X HD for example).

Considering the games look like they were made in the 90s, you don't need the word of mouth. It irritates me when devs make such financial monsters such as Pokemon and Monster Hunter and don't seem to go all out when developing said titles.

You know very well that Capcom choosing 3DS for MonHun this gen wasn't due (or mainly due if you prefer) to weaker hardware.
It was based on how handhelds would sell in Japan, what Nintendo was bringing to the table unlike Sony (localization and marketing help in the west), the possibility to attract a younger audience, etc.

Hence why I wanted to know more details about this mindset. Doesn't make much sense if it's basically the same game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MonHun Dev makes it sound like the games are just developed by a single person lol.

L Thammy

Considering that the series pretty much abandoned original console games with the 3DS, I feel that a game for NX handheld + console is more like than a PS4-only entry.

MonHun Dev makes it sound like the games are just developed by a single person lol.

Why do you think they needed team up with Sony for Street Fighter 5? Ono could only do so much alone.

You know the dev could be quite capable of making a game as good as or better than MonHun on different hardware, that's not called MonHun. A Dark Souls/Bloodbourne situation.

There's no need to be defensive about the franchise, it's just a name.

Rymuth

I imagine being constrained by 3DS, they'd want to try and spread their wings a bit.

Honestly, I'm skeptical Capcom would let them take such a risk but you never know~

*goes back to the MonHun Cross thread*

Ratrat

This is really not thread worthy. This one vfx designer of MHX is working on a ps4 game. This means nothing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So he's working on A PS4 game. Not specifically a MH game on PS4. Title is a bit misleading.

Ok then. The title should be clearer on the matter.

Lol that title.
A team working on a PS4 title doesn't mean it's a PS4 MonHun (apart if you mean Frontier 2, which isn't made by those guys).
I'm pretty sure every team can't wait for the 3DS to be replaced.
The title is pretty clear. "MonHun Dev wants to work on a high-end game next." Ya'll jumped to the false conclusion.

Monster Hunter has better animations than the vast majority of games.

I give you Pokemon, it's overworld looks emberassing by 3DS standards.

...but Monster Hunter 4U looks absolutely top notch. They went all out. And then some.

This is really not thread worthy. This one vfx designer of MHX is working on a ps4 game. This means nothing.

and this.

Edit: The tone of my original post came off worse than I wanted.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So he's working on A PS4 game. Not specifically a MH game on PS4. Title is a bit misleading.

Well how else do you generate a sensational headline. The staffer here is Atsushi Takai, just the VFX designer. TC simply zoomed in on his comment and make it as if the entire MonHun Dev team want to work on high-end game.

Precisely this.

Rosur

PS4 MH game yes please. Hopefully what their PS4 title is.
Tried to get into MH 3 Ultimate (Wii U) but graphics put me off.

Eolz

Not him but I cant stand hand held MH.

I know im in the minority though, but Tri and 3U were my favortites.

Makes more sense, thanks.
I'm really hoping NX would convince Capcom to make quick HD ports at least (like 3U).

Edit: and yeah, would be pretty cool if we got something new as well. We got Dragon's Dogma out of this mindset last time after all.
Hopefully PC will get enough sales to show that this IP is worth more than a F2P "sequel".

Kouriozan

Would be interesting to see a MH game on PS4, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm also having an hard time playing those on 3DS, makes my hands hurt after a while.

L Thammy

Capcom probably wants to put more people to work on Deep Down. I want to finally see the game.

I don't think we'll see Deep Down until they get the engine working - or else they'd have to switch to a different engine, which would be a gigantic delay in itself.

I wonder if we'll see Panta Rhei working ever.

Two games. One is Frontier 2, the other is implied to not be a mainline title, and probably just an HD port (like X HD for example).

You know very well that Capcom choosing 3DS for MonHun this gen wasn't due (or mainly due if you prefer) to weaker hardware.
It was based on how handhelds would sell in Japan, what Nintendo was bringing to the table unlike Sony (localization and marketing help in the west), the possibility to attract a younger audience, etc.

Hence why I wanted to know more details about this mindset. Doesn't make much sense if it's basically the same game.
I just think it would have not killed them to give a little more effort, that's all. It makes sense for them to make it on 3DS over Vita. As for localization, I think Sony would have footed the bill had it come on the Vita, Capcom just bet on the right horse for this franchise.

Orniletter said:
Monster Hunter has better animations than the vast majority of games.

I give you Pokemon, it's overworld looks emberassing by 3DS standards.

...but Monster Hunter 4U looks absolutely top notch. They went all out. And then some.
Animations are generally good but it looks like trash most of the time. Did not have a chance to play MH4U yet to be fair. :\

Top Bottom