• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zabojnik

So whose head is gonna roll this time? My bet's on Tyler.

Godspeed Tyler, we hardly knew ye. The star that burns twice as bright burns half as long*.

*Not an astrophysicist, this statement may have no basis in reality.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Quick, somebody tell Raticus.

Nope, next title edit is reserved for making fun of taking 2.0 to 2.4 to make the persistent universe actually persist.

I'm going with "fake" on this one. Well done though. Could use something like this for IE:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/trixiewpf45/

Edit: if I wanted to coordinate something like that with multiple people, a rewriting proxy server would be a good way to do it. Worked with a similar product once for single sign-on.

Of course, if anyone I knew ran into this, I'd be more convinced.

Daedardus

*Not an astrophysicist, this statement may have no basis in reality.

You're actually right to some degree, brighter, heavier stars have a shorter lifetime. Not exactly linear, but it changes with around the same magnitude. That's why we are so lucky with our sun, it provides decent warmth while have a relatively long lifespan.

What, no GAF tag? I'm insulted by CIG's indifference toward us.

We need to make some waves, guys.

Are you sure you checked the "Sits on the internet the whole day complaining but has not actually played the game"-tag?

A bit late, but I loved the 104theDevs with Brian Chambers... really great guy.

I should probably visit the Frankfurt studio at some point if I can.

Xane

A bit late, but I loved the 104theDevs with Brian Chambers... really great guy.

I should probably visit the Frankfurt studio at some point if I can.

Me and a friend planning another visit for before GamesCom. Feel free to join us if you're interested!

tuxfool

Banned
You're actually right to some degree, brighter, heavier stars have a shorter lifetime. Not exactly linear, but it changes with around the same magnitude. That's why we are so lucky with our sun, it provides decent warmth while have a relatively long lifespan.

We'll be long gone before the sun dies.

Zalusithix

We'll be long gone before the sun dies.

True. The question is whether it'll be by (self inflicted) extinction, or by mass interstellar migration. Either way we'll be technically "gone" from Earth. Actually, if the first option doesn't come to pass, some will probably stay behind until the bitter end. Humanity is weird like that.

tuxfool

Banned
True. The question is whether it'll be by (self inflicted) extinction, or by mass interstellar migration. Either way we'll be technically "gone" from Earth. Actually, if the first option doesn't come to pass, some will probably stay behind until the bitter end. Humanity is weird like that.

Actually, I was thinking we'd devolve into lizard creatures or monkey people.

Zalusithix

I was more talking how we would never be here if the sun burned through its reserves more quickly, life takes long to evolve.

I'm anything but an expert on the subject, but I don't think the large stars that quickly burn through their reserves are amenable to life in the first place? Too hot and all that. Life takes a long time to evolve, but if the conditions never existed for it to begin in the first place, then it's kind of a moot issue.

Shy

MKP2jq3.gif

Dat question regarding Uncharted 4 and PS4 xD
That's sounds interesting. Now i have to watch the video to see what you mean.

Geist-

That's sounds interesting. Now i have to watch the video to see what you mean.[/QUOTE]

[quote][b][28:27] [BN] Kaji Arkale asks: Uncharted 4 placed the level so high in term of quality (animation, lighting, level of details even in large open area, content streaming, etc) and on a PS4, a hardware where CR clearly stated in the past that SC couldn’t run on. Does that change the team mind on the power console can have and can we expect that you at least reconsider a console release on the long term? On a technical point of view, I mean.[/b][/quote]
[quote]
Uncharted 4 looks awesome. I think it was the day or so after it came out, we grabbed it and had it here at the studio and I told the team “hey, let’s go in the kitchen and talk to Chris about it and so on”. When I say kitchen, we had a couch in there with a console, so we all went in there and were playing it. They did an awesome job, it looks good, it plays nice.

Generally in console development and I can just say this from experience: the games look nicer the longer the console exists. You understand how to use the hardware better, you understand how to go around or through or above or under the limitations that the hardware gives you. You find new tips and new tricks on how to put things together, manage memory/stream things, so on and so on and so on.

So as you can see, if you look historically, even PS2 and so on, late generation PS2 games looked awesome comparatively, right? And it’s just because people got more mature on how they can use the hardware. With that said there’s still a ceiling, there’s still a ceiling on that hardware on what’s possible. You have technical limitations. If you’re applying the same learning and then same logic to a piece of hardware that has a higher ceiling, in theory you would be able to produce more or do things better or do things more fluid. It doesn’t necessarily mean that it would look better which is clearly what you’re after right?

Uncharted 4 looked great and it was based on a certain hardware and we had harder hardware, could you draw more characters on screen? Could you put a little more love into the atmospherics? Could you have more on hair, cloth animations, just all those as examples right?

So yeah I think the team over there did an awesome job pulling it off, it looks amazing, yet that doesn’t point directly that Star Citizen could run. As far as, “hey would you consider it in the future?” It’s not really a point to think about right now or put energy on because the teams fully focused on delivering Star Citizen and Squadron 42 on PC like we promised to the community, to the backers, to the fans and so on, so that’s really where all of our energy is.[/quote]

<3 transcripts.

Geist-

Looks like we hit $115m. It's crazy that we're on course to getting another $30 million before the end of the year, you'd think funding would be slowing down.

Also, female player model is apparently heading to the game engine.

NYWB9lL.jpg

Chipopo

Banned
Looks like we hit $115m. It's crazy that we're on course to getting another $30 million before the end of the year, you'd think funding would be slowing down.

they are impressive numbers no doubt, but sales have actually slowed down considerably this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Total in January - May 2015: 14,881,464$
Total January - May 2016: 10,391,221$
Change: -30%

Total in May 2015: 2,815,387$
Total in May 2016: 1,432,159$
Change: -49%

They can probably compensate for this later in the year presuming SQ42 hits its release target, though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Accounting department be sweatin' bullets right now

"Uh, Mr. Roberts? We're going to need you to sell one of your Ferraris to pay the bills this month..."

...actually, the pressure's probably on the marketing department, which at this point is running out of tricks to pull in new revenue. Squadron 42 really needs to go on sale to the public this year or we're going to see some downsizing.

Daedardus

That's under the assumption that all the overflow money has been used to scale the studio. They probably got a huge bankaccount to cover the slightly negative cashflow during this period. How many heads does CIG count? I think it costs around $10K per employee to keep the studio running for one month. A doubt they will go bankrupt soon, seeing as many other studios had a development budget less than what they raised and still managed to work years with a bigger head count

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That's under the assumption that all the overflow money has been used to scale the studio. They probably got a huge bankaccount to cover the slightly negative cashflow during this period. How many heads does CIG count? I think it costs around $10K per employee to keep the studio running for one month. A doubt they will go bankrupt soon, seeing as many other studios had a development budget less than what they raised and still managed to work years with a bigger head count

More than 260, as of October 2015. That's $2.6 million, which is about what they were taking in per month this time last year, but now they're hemorrhaging about $1.2 million per month. Hopefully they've made a good bit of interest on banked surplus cash.

"Uh, Mr. Roberts? We're going to need you to sell one of your Ferraris to pay the bills this month..."

...actually, the pressure's probably on the marketing department, which at this point is running out of tricks to pull in new revenue. Squadron 42 really needs to go on sale to the public this year or we're going to see some downsizing.

they could have you know... agreed to go to E3's PC gaming show and reveal some more things about the game.

atpbx

they are impressive numbers no doubt, but sales have actually slowed down considerably this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Total in January - May 2015: 14,881,464$
Total January - May 2016: 10,391,221$
Change: -30%

Total in May 2015: 2,815,387$
Total in May 2016: 1,432,159$
Change: -49%

They can probably compensate for this later in the year presuming SQ42 hits its release target, though.

I said at the start of the year we would be looking at finishing the year on $120 million, with their other funding, even if they made nothing else from crowd funding, I would think that would be enough to get the project finished.

Geist-

More than 260, as of October 2015. That's $2.6 million, which is about what they were taking in per month this time last year, but now they're hemorrhaging about $1.2 million per month. Hopefully they've made a good bit of interest on banked surplus cash.

I'm assuming that the $115m that they've already taken in affords them quite a big line of credit if they need it. And they're probably doing some safe investments too. I doubt the money is just sitting in a bank somewhere.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm assuming that the $115m that they've already taken in affords them quite a big line of credit if they need it. And they're probably doing some safe investments too. I doubt the money is just sitting in a bank somewhere.

I should hope so. I think a lot of people over the last few years have neglected to think about all the interest CIG has been making on the money they've collected but haven't needed to spend yet. They've made millions extra, I'm sure.

Shy

I should hope so. I think a lot of people over the last few years have neglected to think about all the interest CIG has been making on the money they've collected but haven't needed to spend yet. They've made millions extra, I'm sure.
THEY HAVE ?!?!?!?!?! QUICK SOMEONE TELL LORD SMART ABOUT THIS AT ONCE. *RABBLE RABBLE* &#128541;

tuxfool

Banned
"Vertex coloring AO for hair"

14hWvPm.jpg

Basically this should allow hair colour customization. They're seemingly applying some sort of colour multiplier to the mesh. I guess then hair textures will be then grayscale.

iHaunter

$890 in. Not giving a penny until I see SQ42 at this point, if I'm going to be honest.

Zalusithix

Well, that took long enough. I don't know for the life of me how they managed to ignore it for so long. I mean, they no doubt have more important things to tackle, but removing the UI element pointing to it isn't that hard. It's not like they needed to actually spend the time stripping all the code and assets out. They just had to make it so new people didn't go into it expecting it to, you know, work.

Geist-

Sorry for the double post.

2.4 is available to everyone on the PTU now for a stress test.

Greetings Citizens,

As part of a final series of tests, Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 is now on the PTU for all backers to assist in stressing the servers!

SC Alpha 2.4 introduces the first iteration of in-game persistence and shopping, as well as major changes to the controls, updates to the ship roster (including making the massive Starfarer flyable in-game), bug fixes, balance updates and more! In short, this is our biggest and most important update since Star Citizen Alpha 2.0.

You can read all about the new systems below, and find a complete list of changes in the 2.4 Patch Notes here. We will have a more detailed post outlining 2.4 when we go live.

Someone made this after hearing the news. Fucking killed me. (Warning: NSFW)

Daedardus

Really been waiting for the female model so glad they are actively making progress right now. Hoping to jump back in on the game with 2.4 because the last time I played was before 2.0 since my dorm has a ridiculous bandwidth cap and I didn't have time anyway.

chifanpoe

Dragon Fly , space bike, going to be on sale next week, friday, $35 each. Might have a two back deal with a discount. Sounds like the Cat may have a module that can hold two of them.

More info from RTV 98:

Starfarer: Base will be on sale for $300, Gemini will go on sale for $340 when 2.4 goes live.

Reliant: Kore on sale for $65 when 2.4 goes live.

Dragonfly: On sale for $35 next week. Includes LTI. There will be a dual pack on sale as well. Drawing contest where to winners will receive one for free.

Carrack: More info in the upcoming weeks. After the Caterpillar.

Caterpillar: Teased video in ATV 100. Might see more in the Dragonfly sale.

Dragon Fly , space bike, going to be on sale next week, friday, $35 each. Might have a two back deal with a discount. Sounds like the Cat may have a module that can hold two of them.

More info from RTV 98:

Starfarer: Base will be on sale for $300, Gemini will go on sale for $340 when 2.4 goes live.

Reliant: Kore on sale for $65 when 2.4 goes live.

Dragonfly: On sale for $35 next week. Includes LTI. There will be a dual pack on sale as well. Drawing contest where to winners will receive one for free.

Carrack: More info in the upcoming weeks. After the Caterpillar.

Caterpillar: Teased video in ATV 100. Might see more in the Dragonfly sale.

Cannot wait to see my first love be brought to life.

Top Bottom