• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Plays Mafia/Werewolf |OT5| Ma5ia Harder (Sign up in thread to play!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
ImJ0jeU.png

Hello, denizens of GAF! This is the Official Thread of NeoGAF Mafia! It's a fun game which you can actually play in forums post-by-post, so we're welcoming people to sign up to our fifth season! Each season, we start a new batch of games, with a new batch of game-runners, and each game having a different set of roles and flavour. Currently, we're taking sign-ups for Season 5 - and we want you to take part! It's a fun game and a great way to meet new friends on GAF. We're extra friendly to new players. We had 89 active people in season 4 and we're hoping to make the big 100 this season with your help!

• We're still taking sign-ups ! Sign-ups, sign-ups, get your fresh sign-ups here!
  • New players will always get priority!
  • If you're not sure what mafia is, Ctrl+F [mafexp] to jump to the bit where I explain! (it's super simple)
I, your friendly neighbourhood GAFia Leader: Crab, help run the show, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. RetroMG does the off-site stuff, and can also help with any questions.

Signing up is simple. There's a (really short) sign-up form below; just post your sign-up in the thread and you'll be in! We have priority weighting based on how much you've played before, so if you're new, you're guaranteed a game. Don't worry if you miss sign-ups - you'll be added to the waiting list, which gives you priority next season. Some players also find they can't keep up and have to drop out, which means replacements are drawn from the waiting list, so you may still get to play this season!

Be aware GAF Mafia is a significant time commitment. Ordinary games last about two months, although some special cases will be different (if so, this information will be in the games list). You will need to post at least once or twice a day for that time, although we understand if you have to miss a day every now and then. Please don't sign-up unless you can do this.

[b]Pronoun:[/b]
[b]Preferred game(s):[/b]
[b]Time-zone:[/b]

GAF Mafia has a gender pronoun policy. Because players have to refer to each other throughout the game and we don't want to misgender anyone, we'd like to know your preferred personal pronoun - be it he, she, they, ze or any other. Other players will refer to you by that pronoun, and this will be carefully enforced. We'd also like you to respect the other players by being careful to use their chosen personal pronoun too. You are free not to disclose your preferred pronoun, in which case other players will refer to you as they.

Most GAF games follow the same ruleset, and vary only in the number of players (approximately 18-27), the range of roles, and the flavour used. However, we know lots of you guys will want to play particular games for the flavour. Because of that, we're allowing you to vote on which game you want to be in! There's a list of 6 available games, all carefully reviewed to make sure they're balanced and fun, and I'd guess we'll have enough players for at least 4, so if you list a preferred option and a backup option, we should be able to get you into at least one. We cannot guarantee this, however - but we'll do our best. If not, you'll still end up in a fun game, promise!

Your time-zone doesn't matter that much, it's just so people know roughly when you're likely to post.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Season 5's games and their game-runners are listed below. Also, GAF Mafia community is unique in having a system for training new game-runners! Anyone who has completed at least one GAF Mafia game can apply to become a game-runner, where their game will be overseen by a set of experienced game-runners who can teach people how to create and balance games. Our tutors are also listed below. If at any point you need help or have a question to ask about a game, please contact any game-runner or tutor (but you'll probably get the fastest response if you contact the person who is the game-runner for the game you are in).

-------------------
| Season 5 |
-------------------

br4AVve.png

There once was a gigantic amusement park in an unspecified location in Planet Earth. The park was quite popular indeed, but one of the attractions was mostly abandoned from usage completely. This attraction, was of course the Tunnel of Love, where lovers would get onto a Love Boat, which would then carry them through a Tunnel filled with absolutely romantic things.

Alas, in this day and age, love is not the hottest new theme for amusement park rides, so the Love Tunnel was mostly abandoned, sadly. This came to a change however, as one day, fifteen couples filled with love made their way to the tunnel entrance, holding hands and whispering all sorts of loving things for each other. Then suddenly, a strange figure appeared before the lovers. It was… a bear…

ngqw4W2.png

”Welcome to the Love Tunnel! I am Burbeting, the caretaker of this Tunnel, and also your guide! I can sense wondrous sense of love coming from most of you! I just know most of you people have truly find your special other!”

The loving couples looked at each other and sighed as loudly as typical lovers could. However, it seemed that the caretaker had not completely finished.

”However… I sense that one or more of the pairs do not emit any sort of love…. I almost could call them loveless couples… What a travesty! Only true love can come into my Love Tunnel! But… I have no idea which one of you couples are the loveless, and who are not…”

After a short moment of silence, and people muttering to each other, the bear started to walk towards the Tunnel itself. He snapped his fingers, and then suddenly the swan-boats started to move in the water into the Tunnel. With a short sigh, the caretaker looked at the fifteen boats that moved quite slowly towards the dark entrance.

”Ah well, it will be a long ride anyway. Might as well let you lovers figure out who the Loveless couples are. I’m way too old for that. But do remember, that pairs always die together...”

Love Boat Mafia - Till Death Do Us Part
Game runner: Burbeting
Players: 30
Complexity: 5/10 (Very Easy)

uTmYD4A.jpg

"Order! Order in the court!"

ani-judge-gavel.gif

The courtroom was actually empty today of spectators due to the rushed nature of this case but the judge was used to his routine and after the heated back and forth that had just occurred, he knew the gallery would be going wild.

On one side, a man in a blue suit with a smug look on his face and on the other, an obviously defeated older gentlemen who's hair had just blown away from the force of his crushing defeat. And at the witness stand stood a young man in an orange jacket, obviously confused at the proceedings.

"Mr Wright, I will admit that I still can't believe what has happened in this case but I do know one thing. This court finds the defendant, Larry Butz....

"We'll save on the confetti today. That is all. This court is adjou----

PWAA_notguilty.gif

With a slam, the doors to the courtroom flew open as a scruffy detective ran in.

"Your honor, I'm sorry to interrupt, but Mr. Edgeworth has asked that everyone come to courtroom 4. A body was found in the courthouse and we've locked the building down. He thinks the killer is still here in the building!"

To Be Continued.

Phoenix Wright Mafia - Turnabout Scum
Game runner: Sorian
Complexity: 7/10 (Moderate)

u53fp98.png

Once Upon a Time, there was a magical fairy tale kingdom far, far away from here, where there were singing animals, wicked curses, grand dances, wishing wells, dashing adventures, and loads and loads and loads of cleaning. Loads.

The Princesses have returned to this fabled land now, where once again Good will battle Evil.

As each Princess arrives at the stupendous palace, every single one in their fabulous gown, hair-do, and sass, they slowly gain an awareness that there is an unmistakable malevolence lurking amongst them, their sole purpose and presence threatening all that is good and fair in the kingdom.

Sign up! Come and join this wayward cat, and soon enough you, too, may swirl in your own beautiful dress and look flawlessly sparkling as you root out those do-no-gooders! Cast them out of the Kingdom, for once and for good!

ZFJNg6j.gif

Disney Princess Mafia - Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, who's the Scummiest of them All
Game runner: YesNOnoNOYes
Complexity: 6/10 (Easy)

Nutvckg.jpg

You arrive in the town of Yharnam. Perhaps by carriage, perhaps by boat, perhaps even on foot.

It is a sleepy old town, the vast decrepit remains of what once was a thriving city. You wander around a bit, but the townspeople seem keen on avoiding your gaze and you're plagued by incessant whispering wherever you go. Yharnam is not the same town it once was, and its renowned blood ministration is the only thing allowing it to desperately to relevance in an age where most would prefer to bury the past as deep as the weary world will allow.

Before long, it is sunset.

Most of the locals clamber indoors, the burgh abuzz with a cacophony of slamming doors and fastening bolts. Some, however, shamble into the streets, sharpening pitchforks and lighting torches as they survey the dark nooks and crannies for those inflicted by the scourge. Among them are doctors, law enforcement, professional beast-slayers known as Hunters and even those who are only spoken about in hushed voices; those who would see to it that all of Yharnam burns to the ground before letting even one beast escape All are united by The Hunt. A pained howl pierces the air like a blade, alerting the mob to the presence of a beast.

The night brims with defiled scum, and is permeated by their rotten stench. Just think, now you're all set to hunt and kill to your heart's content.

UwgMilN.webm

To be continued.

Bloodborne Mafia - The Night Brims With Defiled Scum
Game runner: ScraftyDevil
Complexity: 9/10 (Very Hard)

aaX42vw.jpg

AeGXE4N.gif

"Greetings travelers, my name is Clockwork, Master of All Time. You may be wondering just where you are right now, and why you're here.

You are in a realm called "The Ghost Zone", where all ghosts live. I brought you here to my tower to put you all to a test. You see, The Observants have begun to get restless over this battle between good and evil that you humans and ghosts fight. They fear that long-term damage that could be irreparable will occur if nothing is done about it soon. So they contacted me to do the dirty work while they, true to their names, observe it.

And thus brings us to the test. I have searched through out all of time for the most appropriate way to end this conflict, and have settled on an activity known as "Mafia". You all have been chosen to be the representatives of good and evil. Some of you may know each other, so in order to make the test as fair as it can be, I will block all but the memories necessary for the test.

Be wary who you vote to banish throughout time, one of you is much more valuable than they appear. Until we begin...

TIME OUT!

Danny Phantom Mafia - Going Ghost?
Game runner: Terrabyte20xx
Complexity: 7/10 (Moderate)

Odqkx7e.jpg

ckTMio8.jpg

What: Pirates vs Ninjas.
Why: Because Pirates. And Ninjas.
What People Have Been Saying:
"..." ~ Everyone
"Did a child make that jolly roger?" ~ Concerned Citizen
"No love on this boat. Case closed, Princess Blood Phantom" ~ Notaf Akequote

Pirates vs Ninjas Mafia - Pirates vs. Ninjas
Game runner: Mazre
Complexity: 6/10 (Easy)

------------------------------
| With help from... |
------------------------------

Thanks to our tutors for this season: Crab, RetroMG, Ourobolus, Palmer_v1, and nin1000.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
6gd00Ku.png

A little introduction to mafia. [mafexp] below!

--------------------------------
| Part 1 - the Basics |
--------------------------------

Hello, all! First and foremost: mafia is really, really easy to learn. You can learn the rules by the game's first "turn" and be a pro by the end of your first game. New players are welcomed, and I hope you join myself and other GAF players after reading this. The vast majority of our players had their first mafia games here, too!

Mafia is a game about lying, and detecting lies. Invented in 1986 as Ма́фия in the U.S.S.R. by Dmitry Davidoff, mafia is a party-game with a rather morbid turn. In mafia's most basic form, players are assigned by the game-runner to one of two alignments: the majority to the Town, and the minority to the Mafia (known as the Werewolves in some versions). If a player is assigned to the Town, they know only their own alignment. If a player is assigned to the Mafia, they know the alignments of the other players assigned to the Mafia too. The alignment of everyone else remains a mystery.

The game alternates between a Day Phase and a Night Phase. During the Day Phase, all living players discuss and vote on who will be lynched. When the majority vote for a player, that player is lynched and are dead and out of the game. The game then enters the Night Phase, where the Mafia discuss and choose a kill, informing the game-runner when they've done so. The game-runner then starts the next Day Phase and announces which player was killed.

Town wins by lynching all the Mafia. Mafia win when they are equal to or outnumber Town.

---------------------------------
| Part 2 - Additions |
---------------------------------

If you got through the above, you're ready to play mafia. Congratulations! However, mafia is an infinitely flexible game. The rule-set described above is the 'core' of mafia, the simplest it can be, and is called 'Basic' or 'Mountainous' mafia. However, most mafia is played with the introduction of new roles, alignments, and mechanics.

For example, most games have Town Power Roles, which have abilities aside from just voting. The most common Town Power Role is the Cop. This player counts as a Town Villager (the ordinary role) in almost every respect - they start the game not knowing the mafia, and win when there are no mafia left - but have an extra ability: each Night Phase, they can select one person to Investigate. The game-runner then tells them if the player they Investigated is Innocent (Town) or Guilty (Mafia). This is a powerful but intuitive role found in many games.

That's not all! There are protective roles, like the Doctor, who can select one player each Night Phase to be immune from kills for that night; third-party roles, like the Lyncher, who wins if they can lynch a specific target; mafia power roles, like the Godfather, who appears as Innocent when Investigated; and so on. The core rules themselves can even vary, with Nightless setups (a Day Phase is followed by another Day Phase) popular in the mafia community.

This is means you play to your tastes - a game can be batshit crazy with many bizarre roles, or it can be the simple Mountainous.

Here is an excellent primer to both playing mafia and the most common roles: http://cataldo.freeshell.org/mafia/mafiascum04.swf. Well worth reading!

----------------------------
| Part 3 - Flavour |

Mafia isn't just restricted to the mafia! The game's theme is infinitely customizable. You may have wondered about the mention of Werewolves earlier - this is because the second most common version of the game simply calls the Mafia "the Werewolves". This theme extends to all the other roles - the Cop becomes the "Seer", and the Doctor the "Priestess".

This flavouring is also important to another part of mafia: the death scenes. When a player is killed during the Night Phase, the game-runner informs the other how they died, in full and gory detail. After all, how could we sleep at night without knowing that the player Geoff Keighly, with the Town-aligned role of Dorito Pope, died at the hands of a sabotaged Grifbal that rendered his wounds unhealable even to the Mountain Dew elixir? Don't be afraid to experiment!

To play Mafia face-to-face and on the internet, please click this link to a short guide :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Id2ZFZa.png

----------------------
| Outer GAFia |
----------------------

Outer GAFia - managed by RetroMG.
"GAF is still our home. Outer GAFia is more like the pretty cool summer house you and your friends go to during the summer break to do things your parents aren't OK with." - roytheone.

All seasonal NeoGAF mafia games will run on the main NeoGAF forum, but we have a secondary forum where we host our spectators threads, dead threads, hidden chats (mafia and otherwise), and the mini-games - basically for anything that could be spoilerific. We recommend that you sign up to Outer GAFia for these purposes :)

-----------------------
| Communities |
-----------------------

We're now on PSN and Steam! Please look us up on:

Steam: GAFMafia - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GAFMafia - managed by roytheone.
PSN: Gafia

---------------------------
| Game Resources |
---------------------------

-----------------------------------------------
| Game Complexity |

Mafia games can range from having no special roles at all, to known special roles, to unknown special roles, to role madness! To help you understand what you are signing up for, here are some basic terminologies:

Closed Game: You do not know what possible roles could be in the game.
Open Game: You know what possible roles could be in the game.
Semi-Open Game: You know the roles in the game will at least come from a particular list.
Bastard Game: You know nothing and everything can happen and you will hate the moderator in great gust of fury and helplessness.

To make things simpler for you, there's a simple 1 to 10 scale of complexity we've introduced, which we've put next to every game.

As always, we know there is lots of information to get through, so please feel free to ask us any questions in the thread at any time !

| Past Games |

A really good way to get to grips with forum mafia before playing is to look through past GAF Mafia games and watch some of our current players in their first games! You also get to laugh at our expense. Here are GAF's completed games:
Season 1 –

• When Death is on the Line – Flavour: Mafia – Game runner: Crab

Season 2 –

• Making Animal Friends is Awesome – Flavour: Animal Crossing – Game runner: Karkador
• A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy – Flavour: Star Wars – Game runner: MattyG

Season 3 –

• Wait, I had something for this – Flavour: Archer – Game runner: Ourobolus
• Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum! – Flavour: Cthulhu – Game runner: Zatoth
• Grin and Bear It – Flavour: Danganronpa – Game runner: LaunchpadMcQ

Season 4 –

• The Dog Park will not harm you – Flavour: Welcome to Nightvale – Game runner: RetroMG
• Making Animal Friends is Awesome? | Was it All Just a Dream? – Flavour: Werewolf – Game runner: Palmer_v1
• Yer a Werewolf, 'Arry – Flavour: Harry Potter – Game runner: SalvaPot/nin1000

| Past Seasons | Side Games |

On top of the main games, GAFia also runs the following variations:

Semi-Games: These are mid-season games and they tend to be smaller (approx. 16 players). Semi-games are usually completed in two to three weeks' time frame. In season 3, there were 4 semi-games, as linked here:

Season 3 –

Season 4 –

Mini-Games: We also sometimes run quick games that finish in a week or less, including: One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Target and Vigilante games. They're a good way to test the waters as we'll probably play some while sign-ups are on-going.

-----------------
| Archive |
-----------------

Links to past GAFia threads:

Season 1 and 2 Recruitment thread
Season 1 and 2 Review thread
Season 3 Recruitment thread
Season 3 Review thread
Season 4 Review thread

----------------------------------------------------
| Comments / Questions / Other |
----------------------------------------------------

We always welcome your opinions and feedback. If there's any questions or anything we can clear up for you, let us know and someone will attend to you in good time : )

With that all done, hope to see a lot of old and new faces in GAFia Season 5!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
WXoHet0.png

Sign-up now!

The sign-up list is ordered by priority.

| Season 4 Roster |

redhood56

Banned
I had so much fun in the last game, but I cannot participate in the current season of games. I'm thinking next season, life is to busy right now. Have fun everyone and keep on makin those bold predictions!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Are we sorting people by time zone now? That would be helpful...

Well, you should know me:
Rest
Male
US west coast
Games: any

Coppanuva

Pronoun: Male (I think I'm more AmateurNoun personally)
Preferred game(s): Any. Top 3: Bloodborne, Love Boat, Phoenix Wright
Time-zone: Pacific (PST I think? Maybe it's PDT right now).

Kawl_USC

Pronoun: M
Preferred game(s): love boat, phoenix wright
Time-zone: GMT

Hey Ho, let's go.

Damnit Cabot, stealing my post.

Preferred Games: Love Boat, Phoenix Wright (we really should have spread out these awesome flavors more ; ; )
Time-zone: CST

FluxWaveZ

Pronoun: He
Preferred game(s): Phoenix Wright Mafia - Turnabout Scum
(Backup: Love Boat Mafia - Till Death Do Us Part)
Time-zone: EST

Can't tell who the newbies are anymore, though.

El Topo

If it starts after 31/01/16 I'm in. Haven't had any time lately to follow mafia lately. Did roy get brutally murdered?

Preferred game(s): N/A

Preferred: Phoenix Wright, Love Boat, Danny Phantom
Timezone: CST

YO DANNY PHANTOM HE WAS JUST 14
WHEN HIS PARENTS BUILT A VERY STRANGE MACHINE

Sorian

Banned
DESIGNED TO VIEW THE WORLD UNSEEN
(If it goes through, it's the bastard Phoenix Wright game we deserve but Sorian isn't going to give us.)
((Sorian is best.))

Didn't you all get enough bastard from volcano island? Don't worry, I have surprises.

Flame_AC

Preferred game(s): Danny Phantom......... Love Boat if no Phantom though.

Come on y'all. Danny Phantom needs to happen, I really wanna see this game!

Also!
If you're reading this thread and you're new!
Please, get in here!
This is a wonderful community, and we especially love using exclamation points!
But seriously, this community is great.

Coppanuva

I actually have some faith in you

I fully expect roles to have a minimum post limit of 10 posts per 24-hours. Even during night.

Also!
If you're reading this thread and you're new!
Please, get in here!
This is a wonderful community, and we especially love using exclamation points!
But seriously, this community is great.

Actually, commas are often prefered, exclamation marks are a scumtell,

Top Bottom