• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Irwin dead at age 44. Killed by a.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Everyone who says they are so saddened by this should really go down to their local zoo and become a member to support the local zoological society. His entire life's mission was to support conservation and saving endangered species. And that's exactly what your local zoo is all about.

The best thing to do to honor his memory is to put your money where your sadness is and support your zoos. And it isn't that expensive at all, most zoos have entry-level memberships that are less than $50 but some of the larger zoos are a bit more expensive. And it's even tax deductable.

Cheebs

ManaByte said:
Everyone who says they are so saddened by this should really go down to their local zoo and become a member to support the local zoological society. His entire life's mission was to support conservation and saving endangered species. And that's exactly what your local zoo is all about.

The best thing to do to honor his memory is to put your money where your sadness is and support your zoos. And it isn't that expensive at all, most zoos have entry-level memberships that are less than $50 but some of the larger zoos are a bit more expensive. And it's even tax deductable.
You work at a zoo cause of Irwin?

ManaByte

Cheebs said:
You work at a zoo cause of Irwin?

No. But I've always been a zoo member in whatever city I lived in that has a major zoo. I also live 5 minutes down the road from the San Diego Wild Animal park and I spend a lot of spare time there (and the San Diego Zoo membership includes the Wild Animal Park).

FightyF

Banned
It's so sad because he was so full of life.

I think that his death in many ways reflected his life. I don't think I ever fully realized how dangerous his line of work was, and that he risked life and limb every day.

There are many ways we could die...via car accidents, via cancer, etc. He died doing what he loved and what he loved to do was to share the beauty of nature with the World.

His death was a loss for our fragile Planet.

Zilch

Banned
I hope the public never sees the tape of his death, and that it is destroyed soon.

Think of how awful it would be to have the death of your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/mom/dad posted on Youtube for everyone in the world to see.

ManaByte

Zilch said:
I hope the public never sees the tape of his death, and that it is destroyed soon.

Think of how awful it would be to have the death of your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/mom/dad posted on Youtube for everyone in the world to see.

But what if he wanted it to be seen?

Steve Irwin said:
"My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die."

His reasoning behind that quote is that he'd want people to see that animals can be dangerous if you make a mistake and not everyone is invincible. He always said that if he gets bitten it is not that animal's fault, but rather his for not doing something right.

eLGee

ManaByte said:
But what if he wanted it to be seen?

His reasoning behind that quote is that he'd want people to see that animals can be dangerous if you make a mistake and not everyone is invincible. He always said that if he gets bitten it is not that animal's fault, but rather his for not doing something right.

Except Irwin did nothing wrong here, he didn't provoke the animal into stabbing him in any way. He just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I still want to see the footage, tho.

Monk

Banned
I think many of us aspire to live and die like him, ie doing something you love and absolutely enjoying life. I bet he died not having many regrets.

Fight for Freeform said:
It's so sad because he was so full of life.

I think that his death in many ways reflected his life. I don't think I ever fully realized how dangerous his line of work was, and that he risked life and limb every day.

There are many ways we could die...via car accidents, via cancer, etc. He died doing what he loved and what he loved to do was to share the beauty of nature with the World.

His death was a loss for our fragile Planet.

Amen to that.

Even though he died at a young age, he died doing what he loved and probably had more experiences and lived his life more fully than many people twice his age.

Borci88

Wow............. Some chick just told me that he deserved to die for the way he treated animals, so we questioned her why and she cracked the shits and started crying... WTF. (Im in Australia btw)

Borci88 said:
Wow............. Some chick just told me that he deserved to die for the way he treated animals, so we questioned her why and she cracked the shits and started crying... WTF. (Im in Australia btw)
You people are nuts.

Ichirou

Banned
Borci88 said:
]

What does this "cracked the shits" mean?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ichirou_Oogami said:
What does this "cracked the shits" mean?

oh come on you should not have required help to figure that out.

Poona

ManaByte said:
The best thing to do to honor his memory is to put your money where your sadness is and support your zoos.

Whilst that may be good in some instances it may be also be better to donate to the charity organisation he set up 'Wildlife Warriors'. Which goes toward helping animals and the environment all over the world.

http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au

Javaman

As badass as it was that he pulled the barb out, that is the last thing you want to do if impaled with something. It acts like a plug to keep from bleeding out. He was probably a gonner in either case though. :(

Zaptruder

Banned
Javaman said:
As badass as it was that he pulled the barb out, that is the last thing you want to do if impaled with something. It acts like a plug to keep from bleeding out. He was probably a gonner in either case though. :(

Poisoned barb, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

bionic77

Javaman said:

The barb has a neurotoxin poisin in it as well so it is generally not a good idea to leave that in your heart either. Even if he was right next to a hospital he still might have died regardless of what he did.

Substance

Rlan said:
Enough Rope is a fantastic interview program on the ABC here in Australia, nothing like American interview programs, in 2003 they did an interview with Irwin after the Baby incident. I highly suggest downloading and listening to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/audio/ep119/STEVEIRWIN.mp3
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/video/default.htm?clip=steveirwin1

The Denton interview is far more insightful, given the nature of the program, but for sheer entertainment value the Conan O Brien/Steve Irwin interviews are the most captivating. I'm not trying to push or demand anything, but after Leno had a nice tribute for Irwin, I thought Conan would have said a few words.. Oh well, enjoy.
There is a second one which is even better. Can't find it.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5434155810527278575&q=steve+irwin+conan

J2 Cool

Substance said:
The Denton interview is far more insightful, given the nature of the program, but for sheer entertainment value the Conan O Brien/Steve Irwin interviews are the most captivating. I'm not trying to push or demand anything, but after Leno had a nice tribute for Irwin, I thought Conan would have said a few words.. Oh well, enjoy.
There is a second one which is even better. Can't find it.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5434155810527278575&q=steve+irwin+conan

:lol :lol :lol Oh man, those Conan interviews kill me

"He died"

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
:lol @ his conan appearance. I hope they release a DVD boxset of all Steve's TV appearances (other than his programs)

Yamauchi said:
I might actually cry if I see the video of him getting killed.

yam.gif

ant1532

Banned
Just so ya know, there has been a Steve Irwin Tribute Marathon on since 12 today. It ends at 6 so you still have 2 hours.(im in east coast)

Anyways, Animal Planet plays a We Miss you ad for Steve in almost every commercial break which is very very sad

soundwave05 said:
Amen to that.

Even though he died at a young age, he died doing what he loved and probably had more experiences and lived his life more fully than many people twice his age.

People twice his age are generally dead.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-09-12-stingray-deaths_x.htm

Stingrays found dead, mutilated in Australia after "Crocodile Hunter" death

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) — At least 10 stingrays have been slain since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was killed by one of the fish, an official said Tuesday, prompting a spokesman for the late TV star's animal charity to urge people not take revenge on the animals.
Irwin died last week when a stingray barb pierced his chest as he recorded a show off the Great Barrier Reef.

Slain stingrays since have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland state on Australia's eastern coast. Two were discovered Tuesday with their tails lopped off, state fisheries department official Wayne Sumpton said.

Sumpton said fishermen who inadvertently catch the diamond-shaped rays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but the practice was uncommon. Stingrays often are caught in fishing nets by mistake and should be returned to the sea, Sumpton said.

Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation group, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for Irwin's death.

"It may be some sort of retribution, or it may be fear from certain individuals, or it just may be yet another callous act toward wildlife," he said.

He said killing stingrays was "not what Steve was about."

"We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," he said.
Stingrays are usually shy, unobtrusive fish that rummage the sea bottom for food or burrow into the sand.

They have a serrated spine up to 10 inches long on their tails, which they can lash when stepped on or otherwise frightened.

The spines emit toxins that can kill many small creatures and cause excruciating pain in humans. Few people have died from the poison, but the spines can badly tear flesh and the wounds are prone to infections, including tetanus.

Hornby said people should treat stingrays with caution, but "there is still no need to ... kill or mutilate these important animals."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom