• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Irwin dead at age 44. Killed by a.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
capslock said:
Anyone know how big the stingray was?

He didn't get hit by a small fry...

"Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said Irwin was swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 220 pounds (100 kg)."

Reuters news on Irwin

I didn't believe this news when someone told me at first, probably a very common reaction. I liked this guy's spirit and enthusiasm, as well as that of his wife and their interesting backstory.

I remember someone earlier in the thread saying that he was more popular outside of Australia than inside. I just read this on a political blog:

Okay, I managed to hold my tongue until just now as Kyra Phillips said:

In Australia many compare it to the death of JFK or Princess Diana...

Nothing against this guy, awful for his family that he died, but when did he become the most popular person on the planet?

http://atrios.blogspot.com/2006_09_03_atrios_archive.html#115748302609656456

That would be CNN. What's the deal? Is it just typical media shittiness?

Anyway, first post in the thread...RIP Steve.

Zaptruder

Banned
mamacint said:
I remember someone earlier in the thread saying that he was more popular outside of Australia than inside. I just read this on a political blog:

Anyway, first post in the thread...RIP Steve.

That was me... and yes, australia is pretty transperant in owning and disowning its celebrities.

Not that we hated steve; but a good deal of australia saw him... like Steve himself said; as the country bumpkin hick that played up the aussie stereotype, when australia wanted to be thought of as a little more sophisticated... of course, he goes on to say that, they somewhat shun him, because they see a reflection of themselves in him. True to an extent.

I mean... this is a guy that australia didn't really raise an eyebrow to, until he got popular with the americans. Then the aussie media started picking up on it; hey, one of our own is getting popular with the yanks; and he's a regular aussie larikin!
Then after the baby dangling fiasco, and a few aussie interviews, that let us know him as a bush supporter among other things, his star died down... and until this event, the guy had been pretty quiet on the media radar.

Yamauchi

Banned
It's called the pizza effect (pizza is peasant food in Italy -> becomes popular in America -> whole damn world eats it). God bless America.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Steve Irwin > Princess Diana

Anyway, is it really strange that the guy wasn't popular before Animal Planet discovered him? You need exposure to become famous and Animal Planet provided that.

J2 Cool

Brobzoid said:
I don't think so. The only thing that video clip could do is make people more scared of this fish, and I doubt he would want that.

Seriously. I already hate Ray from Finding Nemo. But Steve wouldn't have wanted that. If he survived, he would have surely followed up his recovery with a Stingray documentary to better explain the animals.

monchi-kun said:
Bruce Lee/Brandon Lee....yeah, stay out of the biz but preserve your father's legacy

I don't know. In a way I hope one of them does take it up in the same respect, only far more cautiously. You can't have another Steve Irwin, and attempting to live up to that wouldn't be right. But Steve also very much wanted his kids to follow in his footsteps in the fight for wildlife. I don't believe he got more specific than that, but he wanted them to grow up and take their place in the fight. He said that would be the proudest moment of his life.

Leon said:
From what I've seen of him in interviews everywhere, I think Irwin's the type of guy who would WANT us to see that footage. He'd probably show it enthusiastically himself if he could! It's morbid, sure, but probably not disturbing to watch. Consider it his last and possibly most fascinating piece of work.

He shows close calls to illustrate the dangers of wildlife, but usually always follows up with how to live in harmony with these animals. He was enthusiastic, but not simply for the fact of being enthusiastic. He did it to bring people closer to the reality of wildlife, and then help them understand it. Releasing this tape wouldn't at all be about what he fought for in the wrong hands.

ScientificNinja said:
The latest I've heard: after authorities viewed the camera footage, they determined he didn't provoke the ray, and that after he was stabbed in the heart he pulled the barb out WITH HIS BARE HANDS before dying.

My god...

Good god....

Even in the end, one of toughest guys on the planet. For a guy so friendly looking and extremely cheery, he was the freakin' man.

Az987

all good things
I wonder if he would have left the barb in until he got to a hospital, could he have survived?

nitewulf

he was a pop culture icon, hell i even used him in one of my short stories. RIP dude, i never thought you'd actually die, you seemed invincible.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Verboten said:
If he hadn't pulled the stingray's barb out, would he have had a better chance of survival?

No it wouldn't have, the barb is envenomated.

Verboten said:
If he hadn't pulled the stingray's barb out, would he have had a better chance of survival?

Maybe...

I guess it would depend on how strong the supposed venom on the thing was and where exactly it went in him. It is possible that when he pulled it out, he modified its position in some way so that it did more damage than it would have if he had left it in.

Maybe he would have been done in either way, though. Who knows?

LuCkymoON

Banned
its kinda funny how fast our bodies shut down after the heart stops....heh you would think we would've evovled enough to have a the heart encased in bone like our brains.

Ripclawe

Banned
Verboten said:

Some experts say yes because the barb had edges it did more damage being pulled out.

Saoh

Verboten said:

stingray_barb_web.jpg

try to take that out of your heart. also the stingray, well the barb, has venom.

so, no. its lose-lose.

terrene

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Good god....

Even in the end, one of toughest guys on the planet. For a guy so friendly looking and extremely cheery, he was the freakin' man.
Hey, HSM, it's good to see your old avatar back! I have missed it. :)

Beezy

GilloD said:
What the ****. Stop and consider that. Then edit.

Why would they put THE FOOTAGE OF HIS DEATH on his memorial DVD? "Watch you favorite naturalists die over and over again with "Crocadile-Done--in: The Steve Irwin Story".

Seriously. Come on. You're killing me

Edit what now?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117894

Link648099 said:
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/crocodile%20hunter%20death%20to%20be%20broadcast_1007314

LATEST: The footage of late Australian naturalist STEVE IRWIN being killed by a stingray could be shown on TV. Charismatic Irwin, dubbed the Crocodile Hunter after his internationally acclaimed TV show, died yesterday (04SEP06) while diving on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Irwin was filming for a new documentary when he lost his life, and his cameraman shot the moment when the stingray's barbed tail stabbed the legendary conservationist through the heart. The tapes are currently being held by Queensland police - but Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. "Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die.

Hmm. I'm not sure I want to watch this.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I probably wouldn't cry. I'd be more like, "WTF? What a badass, he just pulled that shit right out of his chest!"

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20363571-2,00.html

STEVE Irwin's close friend and manager says footage of the conservationist's last moments alive will never see the light of day.

Meanwhile, Irwin's widow Terri has used the two-way radio at the couple's Australia Zoo north of Brisbane, to thank its staff for their support.

Irwin, 44, was killed on Monday when he was struck in the chest by a stingray barb while swimming in far north Queensland.

He had been filming a new documentary and the camera was rolling when the tragedy happened.

John Stainton, Irwin's close friend and manager today called for the tape to be destroyed.

"I would never want that tape shown," Mr Stainton told CNN talk show host Larry King.

"At the moment it is in police custody for evidence. There's a coroner's inquest taking place at the moment.

"When that is finally released it will never see the light of day. Never. Ever.

"I actually saw it and I don't want to see it again."

Mr Stainton has said the footage, which shows Irwin pulling the barb out of his chest before dying, was "terrible".

While Mr Stainton wants the footage kept under wraps, media experts say it may soon be circulating on the internet.

"The key point is once there's something on film, it's impossible to keep it contained," said Paul Levinson, chairman of Fordham University's Department of Communication and Media Studies, said.

Mr Stainton, who broke down several times during the CNN interview, said Terri Irwin was struggling with her husband's death.

When King asked a teary Stainton how Terri was doing, Mr Stainton replied: "A lot worse than me".

Mr Stainton told how he travelled with Irwin's body in a casket on a seaplane from Cairns to Irwin's family on Queensland's Sunshine Coast yesterday.

"I travelled on the plane with him for six hours, just him and I. For five hours I couldn't stop crying. It was devastating."

When Irwin's family saw the casket, it brought a sense of reality that the larger than life Irwin had died, he said.

"The fact that we finally got him home and the family saw the casket last night, it was like a full stop," Mr Stainton said.

"Until you actually see that you can't imagine it.

"You think it's a dream and it's not happening. But it is and it has and it's done."

Mr Stainton said the family was still too distressed to decide when Irwin's funeral would take place.

Terri Irwin made a brief statement last night, thanking the staff of Australia Zoo by two-way radio for their support.

Australia Zoo spokesman Michael Hornby said staff were touched by the broadcast.

"Very briefly last night she made a call on the two-way radio to all staff to say thanks very much for all their support and that was really it," he said.

"Short and sweet but I guess again that's typical of Terri to even be thinking of others in her time of need."

Morning drizzle on the Sunshine Coast today did not stem the steady stream of visitors who have left messages of condolence and gifts at Australia Zoo, which has become a shrine to Irwin.

Terri Irwin and the couple's children, Bindi, eight, and Bob, two, were at the other end of the country - Tasmania, when Irwin was killed.

Just the day before, on Father's Day, Mrs Irwin managed to get a text message through to her husband - "The children send their love."

- with AAP and The Daily Telegraph

AniHawk

I imagine the video is less than what we think it is. I know everyone wants to see him go out like a "real man," but I would assume that he would be visibly in a lot of pain and visibly frightened at what this was about to mean. I think it's best the video is never seen.

terrene

Banned
mamacint said:

Meh, it's a Kyra Phillips quote. She was probably taking a dump and left the mic on, per her usual MO. When I'm on the john, I sometimes call out to Jesus, even though I'm atheist!

Sorry, had to.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you rock steve irwin.

What a badass, ripping it out of his chest.

You made australians look goofy to american for which I applaud you, RIP dude. It's funny, I always thought he was a bit of a tool and the minute I read the news, I was really kind of bummed turns out I liked the guy quite a bit. It's pretty impossible to actually hate a guy that upbeat about life in general.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
we know if it is leaked that the police are responsible...so as long as they dont copy and leak it, the tape will probably (rightly) be destroyed

J2 Cool

Rlan said:
Incidentily:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1732743.htm

Enough Rope is a fantastic interview program on the ABC here in Australia, nothing like American interview programs, in 2003 they did an interview with Irwin after the Baby incident. I highly suggest downloading and listening to it.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/audio/ep119/STEVEIRWIN.mp3
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/video/default.htm?clip=steveirwin1

Awesome interview. Thank you.

BuG

catfish said:
you rock steve irwin.

What a badass, ripping it out of his chest.

You made australians look goofy to american for which I applaud you, RIP dude. It's funny, I always thought he was a bit of a tool and the minute I read the news, I was really kind of bummed turns out I liked the guy quite a bit. It's pretty impossible to actually hate a guy that upbeat about life in general.
That's exactly how I feel. I always used to think he was a dick but now I'm really disappointed that he's gone.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
BuG said:
That's exactly how I feel. I always used to think he was a dick but now I'm really disappointed that he's gone.
He used to irritate me because thats how australians were seen to be oversees, and that annoyed me. But looking at it now, the blame for that would rest on the rest of the world's ignorance rather than how the man portrayed himself.

He was unbelievably passionate about what he believed in, and if that's how the world sees Autralians then im proud to call myself one.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aye, there's not a doubt in the world that he touched the hearts of hundreds of millions of people whether through the right or wrong reasons. Now that he's gone, everyone has felt that brick wall hit them and I'm pretty sure they all feel the loss. Such a tragedy.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I saw some of the Steve Irwin reruns on Animal Planet yesterday and they made me a bit sad. There were clips of his very first show, the birth of his daughter and so forth. I never really realized the extent of which these people shared their lives with the rest of us. Eventhough it's hardly the first time a tv personality has died it's still a bit weird to look at those shows knowing that he was killed just a few days ago.

Iceman

LuCkymoON said:
its kinda funny how fast our bodies shut down after the heart stops....heh you would think we would've evovled enough to have a the heart encased in bone like our brains.

except that as we are now (ribcage) we are at least able to inject stuff like adrenaline into the heart immediately in order to get it "kick-started" in an emergency.

TheDuce22

Banned
The Black Brad Pitt said:
He used to irritate me because thats how australians were seen to be oversees, and that annoyed me. But looking at it now, the blame for that would rest on the rest of the world's ignorance rather than how the man portrayed himself.

He was unbelievably passionate about what he believed in, and if that's how the world sees Autralians then im proud to call myself one.

Why australians have such a problem being associated with badasses like Steve Irwin and Crocodile Dundee? :lol

Iceman said:
except that as we are now (ribcage) we are at least able to inject stuff like adrenaline into the heart immediately in order to get it "kick-started" in an emergency.

ICI is only successful (in keeping the person alive, that is) in less than 10% of the cases in which it is used - which is almost never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom