• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Irwin dead at age 44. Killed by a.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaver18

what a surprise. a bunch of elitist asswipes on gaf took this thread downhill.

if you don't have respect for the guy, then stay out and don't come in here trying to look all mighty.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
whytemyke said:
CNN has a piece up saying that he was actually out filming a documentary with Phillippe Coustaeu, grandson of Jacques. It was raining that day so he decided to go and start filming other stuff for a show he wanted to do with his daughter, and thought some underwater stuff would be fun. Stingrays have a habit of hiding themselves in sand, and when Irwin dove in he dove in almost right on top of it. He never even saw the thing, the cameraman said, and had inadvertently boxed it in... didn't even know it til there was a puff of sand, a stingray floating away and Irwin had been attacked.

Sooo, yeah. It seems like he wanted nothign to do with the stingray and didn't even know there was one til it was too late. Dude seriously just wanted to dive. So all the people making jokes about him deserving it from provoking the animals... he didn't. Well, at least not intentionally, in this case.

Freak accident indeed. Really could have happened to anyone diving in that area then.

Az987

all good things
Sad, very sad.

My nephew, as well as millions of other kids, loved him.

I feel bad for his kids really.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Holy shit (just finding out about this now).

georgemichael_snoopy.jpg

CNN just said the police has the video tape of him pulling the barb out of his chest before he lost consciousness :(

through his heart... it must have hurt badly

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Smiles and Cries said:
CNN just said the police has the video tape of him pulling the barb out of his chest before he lost consciousness :(

holy shit.....that's not a fun way to go. :( So much for dying instantly and painlessly.

Smiles and Cries said:

Now this is getting morbid.... :(

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Do people ever really die instantly though? Or is it just something police and news people tell us so we aren't scarred for life? :/

metdroid said:
Do people ever really die instantly though? Or is it just something police and news people tell us so we aren't scarred for life? :/

Not sure but I've always been skeptical of "last words" at least as they show them in the movies. Hard for me to imagine some historical figure saying something pithy as his life essence is draining away but, hey I guess we'll all get our chance to experience it one day unfortunately.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ah, I was wondering how it'd be a freak accident. That makes sense.

Smiles and Cries said:

Damn, that's actually the most badass thing he could have done.

AniHawk

Dice said:
Ah, I was wondering how it'd be a freak accident. That makes sense.

Damn, that's actually the most badass thing he could have done.

I think it's horrifying he lived long enough to actually pull it out.

RIP. I guess something like this was bound to happen some day.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Whoa... just whoa... I am really shocked right now. The Croc hunter was like one of the coolest people of my child hood. ****ing loved his show as a kid. This is crazy...

Rest in peace Steve. Loved ya.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland

Peru

So the stingray lay hidden under the sand when Steve accidentally bumped into it.. I mean..maybe I shouldn't be so personally upset about this, but why did he have to die by such a freak accident?

The latest I've heard: after authorities viewed the camera footage, they determined he didn't provoke the ray, and that after he was stabbed in the heart he pulled the barb out WITH HIS BARE HANDS before dying.

My god...

{Mike}

Banned
Crocodile Hunter's Death Caught on Video
Tuesday September 5 2:30 AM ET

Steve Irwin was videotaped pulling a poisonous stingray barb from his chest in his last moments of life, officials said Tuesday, as tributes poured in for TV's "Crocodile Hunter."

Police said there was nothing suspicious about Irwin's death and no evidence he provoked the animal. Irwin, 44, was stabbed through the heart on Monday while snorkeling with a stingray during filming of a new TV program on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

John Stainton, Irwin's manager who was among the crew on the reef, said the fatal blow was caught on videotape, and described viewing the footage as having the "terrible" experience of watching a friend die.

ADVERTISEMENT
PNG Q3 2006
"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," Stainton told reporters in Cairns, where Irwin's body was taken for an autopsy.

Queensland state police were holding the tape as evidence for a coroner's inquiry a standard procedure in high-profile deaths or those caused by other than natural causes.

Experts have said the stingray may have felt trapped between the cameraman and the TV star. Irwin, the popular host of "Crocodile Hunter," rose to fame by getting dangerously close to crocodiles, snakes and other beasts.

But Queensland Police Superintendent Michael Keating said there was no evidence Irwin threatened or intimidated the stingray, a normally placid species that only deploys its poisonous tail spines as a defense.

Stainton said Irwin was in his element in the Outback, but that he and Irwin had talked about the sea posing threats the star wasn't used to.

"If ever he was going to go, we always said it was going to be the ocean," Stainton said. "On land he was agile, quick-thinking, quick-moving and the ocean puts another element there that you have no control over."

Parliament took a break from the business of running the country to pay tribute to Irwin, whose body was being flown home Tuesday from Cairns. No funeral plans were announced but state Premier Peter Beattie said Irwin would be afforded a state funeral if his family agreed.

Irwin's American wife Terri, Bindi and their son Bob, almost 3, returned late Monday from a trekking vacation in Tasmania to Australia Zoo, the wildlife park where the family lived at Beerwah in Queensland's southeast.

At the park, hundreds of people filed past the entrance laying floral bouquets and handwritten condolence messages. Khaki shirts a trademark of Irwin were laid out for people to sign.

"Mate, you made the world a better place," read one poster left at the gate. "Steve, our hero, our legend, our wildlife warrior," read another. "I thought you were immortal. How I wish that was true," said a third.

The park opened Tuesday because it was what Irwin would have wanted, said Gail Gipp, an animal health employee.

Irwin was propelled to global fame after his TV shows, in which he regularly wrestled with crocodiles and went face-to-face with poisonous snakes and other wild animals, were shown around world on the Discovery Channel.

The network announced plans for a marathon screening of Irwin's work and a wildlife fund in his name.

"Rarely has the world embraced an animal enthusiast and conservationist as they did Steve Irwin," Discovery Networks International President Dawn McCall said in a statement.

Experts differed on the number of human deaths caused by stingrays anywhere from 3 to 17 though they agreed that they were extremely rare.
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060905/115744860000.html

Beezy

I don't know why, but the more I hear people talk about this (in real life and tv), the more sad I get.

I doubt that the vid will get leaked on the internet though. They'll probably eventually release it on a tribute DVD or something like Mike said for everyone to see. I'm not sure, but it seems like something that he would want to happen.

shuri

Banned
This is the first time in my life that I don't want something to be leaked. I've seen everything on the net. But I don't want to know that Steve's final moments to be available on crappy compressed videos on a cheap gore site.

He was too good of a person for that :( . Please Internet, do not come up with the video!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
shuri said:
This is the first time in my life that I don't want something to be leaked. I've seen everything on the net. But I don't want to know that Steve's final moments to be available on crappy compressed videos on a cheap gore site.

He was too good of a person for that :( . Please Internet, do not come up with the video!

I completely agree.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Beezy said:
I don't know why, but the more I hear people talk about this (in real life and tv), the more sad I get.

I doubt that the vid will get leaked on the internet though. They'll probably eventually release it on a tribute DVD or something like Mike said for everyone to see. I'm not sure, but it seems like something that he would want to happen.

I don't think so. The only thing that video clip could do is make people more scared of this fish, and I doubt he would want that.

yoda.jpg

"fear leads to hate, and hate leads to fishing"

Blackace said:
His kids are taken care of... money wise they will be fine... and for the person who said you hope his kids take up his footsteps.. I pray that they don't... continue to work for the wildlife.. but stay away from the showman side of it.. Steve was great, but I can only see another death or serious life changing injury trying to follow in the footsteps of a man who was born to do what he did

Bruce Lee/Brandon Lee....yeah, stay out of the biz but preserve your father's legacy

Leon

shuri said:

From what I've seen of him in interviews everywhere, I think Irwin's the type of guy who would WANT us to see that footage. He'd probably show it enthusiastically himself if he could! It's morbid, sure, but probably not disturbing to watch. Consider it his last and possibly most fascinating piece of work.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Himuro said:
Holy ****.

A real man.
Not to take anything away from Steve, but I saw an interview on CNN with John Stainton (Irwin's friend and manager), and he said that this simply isn't true.

I think he might have had a chance if he didn't pull it out. If anything pierces a major artery or in this case a heart the worst thing to do is pull it out.

LakeEarth

BigGreenMat said:
I think he might have had a chance if he didn't pull it out. If anything pierces a major artery or in this case a heart the worst thing to do is pull it out.
Unless the piercing object has poison in it that affects your puliminary system.

Ill Saint

PolyGone

Banned
Leon said:
From what I've seen of him in interviews everywhere, I think Irwin's the type of guy who would WANT us to see that footage. He'd probably show it enthusiastically himself if he could! It's morbid, sure, but probably not disturbing to watch. Consider it his last and possibly most fascinating piece of work.

nope, no one would want their death to be entertainment for someone else, SORRY!

GilloD

Banned
Beezy said:

What the ****. Stop and consider that. Then edit.

Why would they put THE FOOTAGE OF HIS DEATH on his memorial DVD? "Watch you favorite naturalists die over and over again with "Crocadile-Done--in: The Steve Irwin Story".

Seriously. Come on. You're killing me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom