• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Five measly trophies for a 2016 PSN game.? come on Sony.

Hanmik

I was just checking the trophies for Firewatch to get an indication on how the game plays. Trophy lists are a good way to see stuff about a game before it launches, and I'm very much looking forward to this game.

So I went here: (spoilers for trophies, for those who care, at the link)
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4291-Firewatch

and wtf? only FIVE trophies for this game..? I'm in no way a trophy hunter.. I never go for a trophy unless I really enjoy a game and want something extra out of the game.
But FIVE trophies? Even Goat simulator has 30+ trophies.. and a Platinum trophy.
goat-gif.gif

I hate the inconsistency in how Sony allows developers to implement trophies (or whatever the reason is for the BIG difference in trophy numbers). Some games have lots of trophies others have less than toes on Halle Berry's left foot..

What do you guys think about a pretty high profile game (at least Sony showed it at their big shows) for the Playstation 4, only having FIVE trophies..?

EDIT: Looks like people really don't get what this thread is about. So I have made a post to explain better: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194112303&postcount=430

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
it's up to the developer how many trophies they want in the game

Sony is right not to get in the way of that too much

really not a big deal

Depends on what the quality of those trophies are, and if the number of trophies is a developer decision then it's a completely acceptable number.

Nabs

I don't think developers should be forced to add achievements/trophies if they don't want to.

eFKac

Ohh that's great news for me, percentage is way more important to me, so the less trophies the better.
Hopefully no collectibles, cleaning them up in EgttR right now, what a chore.

Nibel

Look at Firewatch - does that look like the kind of game that should feature 30+ trophies?

I rather have a relaxing and great experience with no interruptions than a trophy message popping up every few minutes when playing a game like that

Without knowing how long the game is or what the mechanics are I can't really say if it's a bad decision or not.

The Witness only has like 13 trophies, but they all provide a huge sense of satisfaction when they pop. They would be a lot less meaningful if they did something dumb like give you a trophy after every 50 puzzles you solve.

kurahador

The Witness for PC only has 2 achievements, yet 13 for PS4 as per Sony's insistence.
Guess it depends on the price.

Moobabe

Without knowing how long the game is or what the mechanics are I can't really say if it's a bad decision or not.

The Witness only has like 13 trophies, but they all provide a huge sense of satisfaction when they pop. They would be a lot less meaningful if they did something dumb like give you a trophy after every 50 puzzles you solve.

And it only has 2 achievements on PC.

DNAbro

Not all games should have arbitrary trophies. It's incredibly pointless and can be counter-intuitive to what the developer is trying to do.

vareon

You can't claim not to be a trophy hunter when you post and angry thread about the lack of trophy in a game....

Or make your own targets with the game and do it.

Auctopus

Honestly, why does it matter? If you're a trophy hunter then you've got an easy set on your hands and if you don't then you won't have constant pop-ups. It literally doesn't matter, maybe the devs focused on the game rather than making arbitrary challenges in order to make the player feel productive?

Even Goat simulator has 30+ trophies.. and a Platinum trophy.

This is the logic that GAF has reached.

Fitts

I don't think developers should be forced to add achievements/trophies if they don't want to.

This right here. Then again I'm sure that some shitty games have gotten sales just because they're an "easy platinum," so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to omit them altogether.

People shouldn't need an external carrot on a stick, but many do for some reason.

Morts

Firewatch doesn't seem like the kind of game I'd seek out trophies in. They'd probably be distracting. I think it's a legitimate decision.

xrnzaaas

it's up to the developer how many trophies they want in the game

Sony is right not to get in the way of that too much

really not a big deal

I don't understand why a developer would intentionally want less trophies in their game. More trophies means more time spent with the game (plus a bigger chance of players buying DLC's and using microtransactions if the game has any) and a bigger chance of purchase from the trophy hunters. Also if it's a retail title it lowers a chance of selling the game after only a day or two (remember how easy trophy sets Until Dawn and The Order had?).

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yeah I thought this was weird when I saw it yesterday. Sony should really enforce a number.
Look at Firewatch - does that look like the kind of game that should feature 30+ trophies?

I rather have a relaxing and great experience with no interruptions than a trophy message popping up every few minutes when playing a game like that
Then disable the notification, it's that easy.

Haunted

Vanaman and Rodkin are famously not fans of achievements for story-based games. I assume (I'm on blackout, haven't checked) these are simply tied to progression so no real info can be gleaned from them ahead of release just like Walking Dead Season 1.

I don't understand why a developer would intentionally want less trophies in their game. More trophies means more time spent with the game (plus a bigger chance of players buying DLC's and using microtransactions if the game has any) and a bigger chance of purchase from the trophy hunters. Also if it's a retail title it lowers a chance of selling the game after only a day or two (remember how easy trophie sets Until Dawn and The Order had?).
That's not the type of game Firewatch is, that's not the kind of developer Campo Santo want to be.

also see: Jonathan Blow and The Witness

Jb

Listening to Idle Thumbs I don't think these guys like chievos/trophies very much. For a narrative game it makes sense that they wouldn't want them to distract from the storytelling.

Devs shouldn't be forced to have trophies and if they are they shouldn't be forced to have a certain amount.

Plus these devs don't seem like the trophy lover types based on their podcast.

Achievements and trophies are just there to make adults feel better about the fact they are spending hours playing with electronic toys.

They are pointless.

LiK

Achievements and trophies are just there to make adults feel better about the fact they are spending hours playing with electronic toys.

They are pointless.

nah, they can make a game more replayable and also add optional challenges you would never think of doing. they can be fun to get just like with high scores in leaderboards or finding the best loot. some people like them and that's okay.

skynidas

Banned
this has nothing to do with Sony. The developers made this decision. They could have put a platinum if they wanted to but they didn't, it's up to the developers preference and ability to test the game if it has a lot of trophies.

I like trophy collecting, but if Firewatch is basically a linear, story based game then I can see why it's so limited. Finish bits of game, that's it. No point shoving additional ones in there.

Trophies are alright. Trophies for trophies sake are not.

Kusagari

The Witness for PC only has 2 achievements, yet 13 for PS4 as per Sony's insistence.
Guess it depends on the price.

Yeah, I love the fact that it only has 2 trophies on Steam. I feel like it adds to the mystery surrounding the game.

Games like Witness and Firewatch overloading on trophies would just be stupid.

georly

I'm super glad that sony lets developers do what they want for their games.

Lets them price their games how they want. Lets them put as many trophies in their game as they want.

Good. The industry is better off this way. No need to conform. Last gen everything was so same-y. Retail was 60 bucks almost all the time. Download was 10-15 almost all the time. Retail had 1000 achievement pts all the time. Download had 200 achievement pts all the time. It standardized everything and it forced devs to conform.

Let devs do what they want. It's their game, they can make it how they want and sell it for what they want. More variety is a GOOD thing.

Haunted

What do you guys think about a pretty high profile game (at least Sony showed it at their big shows) for the Playstation 4, only having FIVE trophies..?
I think you're focusing on the wrong things in your videogames, that's what I think.

ZeroX03

Banned
Haven't we cleared up that trophy inclusion is all on the dev as of about a year ago? Sony used to restrict digital titles, they don't anymore, and if you're annoyed then it should be directed at the devs.

But it's a pretty minor grievance either way.

vypek

I like trophies. And I was just reminded that this comes out in a week. I'll gladly pick it up and be fine with just 5 trophies from it.

Top Bottom