• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Five measly trophies for a 2016 PSN game.? come on Sony.

Does Sony have a requirement for all games to have trophies these days? If so that's bullshit and makes it obvious that the Firewatch devs didn't want them.

Oppo

think Don't Starve did something similar

write an email to Idle Thumbs. it's the devs decision as mentioned.

I would argue that they should have full choice to do what they want (which they don't – there is a minimum # of trophies that must be included and I bet it is actually 5)

I have only ever managed to get 100% achievements on Oblivion and Fallout 3 on my old Xbox gamertag.not had a single platinum.

I don't go out of my way to get them. Good on the dev for not making us grind some crap to get a bronze/10gp

dugdug

Banned
The only problem I have with this trophy list is that it makes me worried that there isn't really anything to do in Firewatch. Is it just a story-driven experience?

xrnzaaas

Vanaman and Rodkin are famously not fans of achievements for story-based games. I assume (I'm on blackout, haven't checked) these are simply tied to progression so no real info can be gleaned from them ahead of release just like Walking Dead Season 1.

That's not the type of game Firewatch is, that's not the kind of developer Campo Santo want to be.

also see: Jonathan Blow and The Witness

I was talking about PS4 games in general. A lot of bigger games published by Sony also had very easy trophies (and often no platinum). In my case it's not a dealbreaker, but it's always nice to be rewarded with trophies even if a game is rather linear and focuses on telling a good story.

vypek

Does Sony have a requirement for all games to have trophies these days? If so that's bullshit and makes it obvious that the Firewatch devs didn't want them.

Yeah I think both MS and Sony require them at this point but I might be mistaken. The rules might not hold the same for DLC. Pretty sure the first Garden Warfare games had DLC achievements that didn't translate to trophies

The trophy fetish baffles me. Just play the game, enjoy that accomplishment.

There were people who refused to play Valkyria Chronicles because it didn't have trophies. That's insane.

Sometimes I think the planet is populated with people that I didn't know they existed.

Or that there was a shift at some point in time and I wasn't aware of that and kept going to the same place but when I looked back I saw a lot of people going in a different direction, and I don't know why or what's happening.

Hanmik

Sounds like you're trying to make something out of nothing. And did you just call Firewatch a high profile game?

I'm not making something out of nothing. I posted my opinion on a subject.

Sony treated it like a big deal when it was announced and shown for the first time, they showed it Sony's E3 show (if I remember correctly), it had a segment for itself, it wasn't thrown under the bus in a indie mix dubstep video. So it looks to be regarded as more of a game than the rest of the indies that they showed.

vareon said:
You can't claim not to be a trophy hunter when you post and angry thread about the lack of trophy in a game....

Sorry this thread wasn't meant to be "angry".. maybe my wording needs to be better. ;o)
and no, I'm not a trophy hunter. But it bugs me that the system is so inconsistent.

I get that some games are better without trophies popping here and there.. I like the way that Blow did it with the Witness, it works in that way... but reading the tittle of the trophies at the site for Firewatch, makes me think they are just lazy. Like reading a book and getting a trophy for finishing a chapter in the book. Hey I might be wrong..

I was just checking the trophies for Firewatch to get an indication on how the game plays. Trophy lists are a good way to see stuff about a game before it launches, and I'm very much looking forward to this game.
Not really. More like a good way to see spoilers or if a dev is trying to cash in on trophy hunters.

LiK

The trophy fetish baffles me. Just play the game, enjoy that accomplishment.

There were people who refused to play Valkyria Chronicles because it didn't have trophies. That's insane.

but now it's coming to PS4 so now they'll finally play it :D

Most of those guys are ex-telltale, who also use very simple trophies. They don't really care about that stuff and would rather you enjoy the game.

A novel concept, I know.

Footos22

I was just checking the trophies for Firewatch to get an indication on how the game plays. Trophy lists are a good way to see stuff about a game before it launches, and I'm very much looking forward to this game.

So I went here: (spoilers for trophies, for those who care, at the link)
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4291-Firewatch

and wtf? only FIVE trophies for this game..? I'm in no way a trophy hunter.. I never go for a trophy unless I really enjoy a game and want something extra out of the game.
But FIVE trophies? Even Goat simulator has 30+ trophies.. and a Platinum trophy.
goat-gif.gif

I hate the inconsistency in how Sony allows developers to implement trophies (or whatever the reason is for the BIG difference in trophy numbers). Some games have lots of trophies others have less than toes on Halle Berry's left foot..

What do you guys think about a pretty high profile game (at least Sony showed it at their big shows) for the Playstation 4, only having FIVE trophies..?

What trophies campo santo want to put in this game is down to them not Sony.

Xyber

Yeah I thought this was weird when I saw it yesterday. Sony should really enforce a number.

Why though?

Firewatch is a narrative driven game which the dev didn't think needed any unnecessary trophies. Why should they be forced to have some arbitrary number of trophies to please a very small group of people that will let the number of trophies in a game sour their opinion of it.

Just be thankful anything still has trophies/achievements in 2016. They're often lazily implemented, rarely of any value, and a half-assed leftover of the previous console generation.

Here's hoping someone figures out how to make them relevant again, or is brave enough to let them die.

Edit:
my favorite thing about trophies these days is seeing the completion rates.

This is actually one fun thing about them. It's interesting to see how far people generally progress in a game, or what people missed. Probably valuable to developers as well.

Cleve

Absolutely nothing, this thread isn't about that. It's the simple fact that there's so much inconsistency between Trophy sets, and no rhyme or reason as to why.

Games are made by different developers, some of them hold different opinions on what "deserves" a trophy, that's the reason.

Sony shouldn't force developers to put more trophies in to a game if they don't want to.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Why though?

Firewatch is a narrative driven game which the dev didn't think needed any unnecessary trophies. Why should they be forced to have some arbitrary number of trophies to please a very small group of people that will let the number of trophies in a game sour their opinion of it.
Because consistency. Microsoft did it and so should Sony.

vypek

Yeah I thought this was weird when I saw it yesterday. Sony should really enforce a number.

I think the only thing Sony cares to enforce is rules regarding the platinum trophy.

Absolutely nothing, this thread isn't about that. It's the simple fact that there's so much inconsistency between Trophy sets, and no rhyme or reason as to why.

The reason behind the inconsistency is that it is just a developer choice of the number they put in. There don't seem to be that many rules on trophies except having a certain point value required to put in a platinum trophy. I can't remember if there is something about full retail or digital only releases that affects trophies. Is there a full retail game that does not have a platinum?

Kup

but reading the tittle of the trophies at the site for Firewatch, makes me think they are just lazy.

It's a shame game developers are being branded as lazy because of their design decisions for Trophy or Achievement implementation.

Gavin551

Banned
I wouldn't mind the end of trophies. I don't get the obsession over them.

I feel like there is a place for them, and it's great for the people who like them.
I do think that if a dev didn't want their game to have any trophies they shouldn't be forced to put some in.

Ogawa-san

This entire trophy / Achievement fanaticism weirds me out.
You know what weirds me out? How every single topic about trophies/achievements is flooded by people that want the world to know how much they don't care about them.

It's like the video game equivalent of being a vegetarian.

vypek

Edit:
This is actually one fun thing about them. It's interesting to see how far people generally progress in a game, or what people missed. Probably valuable to developers as well.

Yeah, I think at the very least Sucker Punch used the data from infamous when working on infamous 2

I think that would be a terrible idea. Sony shouldn't have any input over creative decisions unless they own the studio. I think it's bad enough that trophies are mandatory. I'm totally neutral towards trophies (never go for them, don't dislike them either, they're just kind of there) but forcing devs to include them seems like a weird choice.

IvanJ

Banned
I have disabled trophy notifications the very first day I bought my PS4.
I don't know what trophies the game has, I don't really care if it is 5 or 105. It would be nice if Sony would allow us to delete them, but I never look into that tab on my console so it doesn't bother me mucj.

All I care is that the game is good, and Firewatch looks very promising, I will buy it day one.

nbnt

So a game like Journey should be forced to have as many trophies as some bloated collectathon open world AAAAAA shootbang RPG?
I'm not saying 30 or 40, I'm just saying they should enforce a rule of "at least 13 trophies" for example, for every game, download only or not.

LiK

Blow actually uses the trophies/achievements to see how many people completed the hardest puzzle in the game from what I read in his tweets. they're not entirely useless. :)

Sapientas

Trophy and achievement threads always go the same way, it seems people just can't understand that some like trophies and that going for them is fun. Claiming that they are pointless and interfer with the game seems so silly, you can just disable the notifications and play it.

For the OP, this is a strange complaint, the developers decide how many trophies the game has and that's it. In this case they clearly didn't care for them and just threw a few in it. Just be "glad" that all games have trophy lists now per Sony demand.

DigtialT

I'm not saying 30 or 40, I'm just saying they should enforce a rule of "at least 13 trophies" for example, for every game, download only or not.

But why? Why should Sony force developers to add trophies if the developers do not think they fit the game?

Lucreto

I use trophies as stepping stones to get the most out of the game. It's great incentive to explore parts of a game you normally would not do.

I will use Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes as an example.

I spent 40 hours playing Hyrule Warriors but once I finished the main campaign I stopped playing I didn't get very far in challenge mode.

I have spent nearly 70 hours on Dragon Quest Heroes trying to get the Platinum, working through the trophy list getting everything.

I noticed I spend up to 50% longer with a game with trophies than without. In Final Fantasy XIII I finished the main campaign in 65 hours but got the platinum at 113 hours. Normally I would have moved on to another game.

Another example would be collecting the 20 bobbleheads in Fallout 4. They provide minor stat increases but would not actively hunt them down if it wasn't a trophy incentive. Also the 3 endings, I would explore one and not bother with the other 2.

It's like being in school and getting the Gold sticker for being good and completing homework. I was one of those kids who went the extra mile to get the Gold star.

This is just an extension of that conditioning.

If you don't like trophies just disable notifications and leave the rest of us to enjoy them.

Hanmik

I wouldn't mind the end of trophies. I don't get the obsession over them.

for me Trophies are a nice way to "finish" a game. I played skyrim and completed the game. I Really like the game, I wandered around the world and did some random stuff, but I wanted more, so I looked at the trophies and saw that there was still lots of stuff for me to do in the game. If it hadn´t been for the trophies I would probably had put the game down shortly after I finished it, but because of trophies I played it much more.

Just an example on why trophies can be a good thing.. it sometimes makes you discover stuff in games you normally never would discover unless you spent an insane amount of hours in a game.. and search every corner of the world. Hey I even platinumed Bloodborne because I wanted to see everything there is in the game.. Loved it, but I don't care about the plat trophy I got, I just care that I got to see and experience everything in the game, because of the Trophies.

If I end up liking a game like Firewatch, after my initial playthrough there is nothing left for me in the game, even though I liked the game. It's not like I would go right back to the game and play through the game again to see the exact same stuff again.. so unless the devs have hidden alot in the game, or there are some other stuff to do in the game, then one play through is all it will ever get from me. A broader trophy list or some hidden stuff would make me dive right back in to try to find all stuff that is in the game.
Granted all this can be done without trophies, but since we have that on PS4 and Xbox One today, why not use it to give the player some incentive to go back into the game?

vypek

Isn't it "at least 5 trophies" right now? I've never seen a game with less than that.

Trophy and achievement threads always go the same way, it seems people just can't understand that some like trophies and that going for them is fun. Claiming that they are pointless and interfer with the game seems so silly, you can just disable the notifications and play it.

For the OP, this is a strange complaint, the developers decide how many trophies the game has and that's it. In this case they clearly didn't care for them and just threw a few in it. Just be "glad" that all games have trophy lists now per Sony demand.

Good post.

nbnt

Top Bottom