• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Five measly trophies for a 2016 PSN game.? come on Sony.

NeonBlack

No problem with 5 trophies. They don't add anything to the game, everything they ask you to do can be done without them.

I don't see how trophies could be a better indication of gameplay then let's plays, streams, or reviews. You have many outlets for it.

If I was making games I'd have a easy platinum so trophy hunters buy it

Finish the story, platinum*.

* Platinum trophy is removed monthly, if the user does not have a legit copy of the game the trophy is erased from the profile after online verification is complete.

If that's true then it's too low. Also, none of the games I've played had only five.

No it's not, there should be no minimum for trophies.

Sapientas

I'm not saying 30 or 40, I'm just saying they should enforce a rule of "at least 13 trophies" for example, for every game, download only or not.
I like going for trophies, but I definitely disagree with this. For me developers should be free to put how many trophies they want, and should be able to have none too. It's their work and if they decide that it doesn't fit the game that's their choice. Granted most games would probably have some anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This was a joke in 2006 and It's a joke now.

It's cool that trophies and achievements are in buy who gives a damn about how many. As if it affects how the game plays.

SURGEdude

Yeah I thought this was weird when I saw it yesterday. Sony should really enforce a number.

Then disable the notification, it's that easy.

Damn, how did I miss this option? I was just gonna comment like the other guy about how distracting and annoying they can be for certain games.

Demoskinos

Listening to Idle Thumbs I don't think these guys like chievos/trophies very much. For a narrative game it makes sense that they wouldn't want them to distract from the storytelling.

Its not up to the developer how someone experiences their game. Point is they are losing sales because of this. It matters to a group of gamers and would have cost them nothing to add.

IvanJ

Banned
Its not up to the developer how someone experiences their game. Point is they are losing sales because of this. It matters to a group of gamers and would have cost them nothing to add.

Some people might value their artistic integrity more than petty pandering to a specific group of people.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
People blaming Sony for this are in the wrong. There was a great interview on the blogcast this week, they talked about trophies for about 5 minutes and the decision was made to do the trophies the way they are by the developers themselves.

It was an intentional choice, you will get 100% of the trophies by finishing the game. They limited the number because they didn't want you dinging trophies in the middle of a scene and they wanted all optional content to truly be optional and organic rather than folks doing it for the sakes of a trophy.

Also they talk about the Firewatch dynamic theme for a while and it sounds rad. Maybe I'll finally get to replace my Transistor theme.

Demoskinos

Some people might value their artistic integrity more than petty pandering to a specific group of people.

Are you guys serious? Are people really about to blow up trophies?

Artistic Integrity doesn't put food on your table. But hey if that's the choice they made then so be it. And again, yes this matters to a lot of people. If you don't believe me just listen to the latest PS I Love You podcast. Colin and Gregg both went off about this.

Mendrox

They are totally useless and a waste of time. I didn't need a reason back then to play through Final Fantasy 9 at the lowest level or getting Excalibur. It is nice for people that love to finish/complete things like in real life and work though. :x

LakeEarth

I would argue that Goat Simulator is the perfect game to have lots of trophies, due to it's "fuck around" nature. While story based games like Firewatch are less in tune to achievements.

That being said, 5 trophies is pretty lame. I haven't heard of a game having so few achievements since the first batch of games came out on the 360.

Artistic Integrity doesn't put food on your table. But hey if that's the choice they made then so be it. And again, yes this matters to a lot of people. If you don't believe me just listen to the latest PS I Love You podcast. Colin and Gregg both went off about this.
They are trophies. Your not going to play a game because the developer didn't feel they were necessary?

And i assume you are on board with ps2 classics than right? Because most seem to hate trophies being added to those because it takes more work

Kup

As a developer I can tell you Trophies do not cost nothing to add. It takes man hours to design and engineer them into the code base and then fix any bugs once implemented. Then they need to be packaged and published online and tied to your product.

Cleve

If you don't like trophies just disable notifications and leave the rest of us to enjoy them.

No problem, already there. How about people stop demanding developers be mandated to include a set number of banana stickers in their project.

Mentok

Banned
Look at Firewatch - does that look like the kind of game that should feature 30+ trophies?

I rather have a relaxing and great experience with no interruptions than a trophy message popping up every few minutes when playing a game like that

This. Who buys a game for the trophies? Is that honestly a thing?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So to everyone who laughs at the concept of trophies/achievements... Did you ever 100% games prior to trophies showing up?

dugdug

Banned
Point is they are losing sales because of this. It matters to a group of gamers and would have cost them nothing to add.

I don't know if it costs them nothing, but, I definitely can attest to holding back on buying games day one because of low trophy count, or no Platinum.

I know it's dumb, but, that's just how it is with me, these days. I enjoy the meta-game of going for trophies, and, it keeps me coming back.

It sucks, but, that's gaming in 2016.

Hektor

Trophy and achievement threads always go the same way, it seems people just can't understand that some like trophies and that going for them is fun. Claiming that they are pointless and interfer with the game seems so silly, you can just disable the notifications and play it.

Considering how often i see people talking about how much of a chore certain trophys were (Notice the simple past) i have a hard time believing that it's about fun.

swarley64

I could be wrong, but isn't Firewatch gonna be a Gone Home sort of experience? Mostly about the story and atmosphere? I don't think going crazy with the trophies would enhance the experience...

IvanJ

Banned

That's why it's called integrity, I guess. You know, like you can be Van Gogh, paint sunflowers and starve, or you can paint caricatures of tourists for €20 a pop.
Some people are just strange, and don't think about money every moment of their life.

Of course, every person has liberty to choose as they like. I don't judge, but it is hard for me to understand people that are willing to forego a good game just because it doesn't ding a trophy ever so often. Diff'rent strokes...

Hanmik

People blaming Sony for this are in the wrong. .

my words came out wrong. I just would like for Sony to copy Microsofts system where every achievment is worth a specific amount of points, so that all games end up having the same "end score" for trophies.

and people don't take the 2016 tittle serious.. come on it is a joke .. I even expected someone to post the "What year is this?" picture..

Momentary

Banned
People that complain about achievements and trophies crack me up. I wish more devs would put zero of that mess in their games. What I can't believe is that there are people who won't buy a good game without that bullshit in there. Laughable.

Sean Vanaman/Jake Rodkin, if you're reading this. Include an additional free DLC trophy set and reference how you're appeasing a tribute due for Hanmik and I will purchase 2 copies of Firewatch the second it becomes a reality.

My money is on the line, just let me know where to spend it.

Mr Swine

Banned
nah, they can make a game more replayable and also add optional challenges you would never think of doing. they can be fun to get just like with high scores in leaderboards or finding the best loot. some people like them and that's okay.

Sounds like a cheap way out for not adding more stuff in games to do other than "kill 100 enemies", "go unnoticed through level X" type of stuff. I rather have a meaty game with no trophies/achievements

LiK

my words came out wrong. I just would like for Sony to copy Microsofts system where every achievment is worth a specific amount of points, so that all games end up having the same "end score" for trophies.

and people don't take the 2016 tittle serious.. come on it is a joke .. I even expected someone to post the "What year is this?" picture..

360 achievements were good for the time. now I no longer care for achievements on One because devs can add as much as they like.

Sounds like a cheap way out for not adding more stuff in games to do other than "kill 100 enemies", "go unnoticed through level X" type of stuff. I rather have a meaty game with no trophies/achievements

nah, if trophies are implemented well, they can enhance the game's playability with other modes. killing x number is lazy and awful. but trophies for doing something that no one else has done or finding secrets that enhance the experience is fun and great for people who want the challenge.

ghostjoke

Banned
People playing a narrative driven game for achievements/trophies. Wow. Is it like a gratification thing or something?

So to everyone who laughs at the concept of trophies/achievements... Did you ever 100% games prior to trophies showing up?

Used to when I was younger until I realised I wasn't having fun doing tedious/repetitive crap. This was well before trophies/achievements came about. I've only ever gotten them all in Transistor by accident.

FDC1

Devs have a "fixed" number of points to spend (around 300 for a "small" game, 1200 for a game with platinum). They can distribute these points like they want, they can choose to have just a few of them with a big part of gold ones, or a lot of them mostly of bronze.

Bronze: 15pts
Silver: 30pts
Gold: 90pts
Platinum: 180pts

Demoskinos

They are trophies. Your not going to play a game because the developer didn't feel they were necessary?

And i assume you are on board with ps2 classics than right? Because most seem to hate trophies being added to those because it takes more work

I'd much rather take PS2 games like Sony is releasing them on PS4. I think its great they are putting in the work to curate a growing list of PS2 games with modern conveniences. And they are well worth the asking price because of it.

Cleve

Sean Vanaman/Jake Rodkin, if you're reading this. Include an additional free DLC trophy set and reference how you're appeasing a tribute due for Hanmik and I will purchase 2 copies of Firewatch the second it becomes a reality.

My money is on the line, just let me know where to spend it.

They just need to make a $90 dlc, two platinums, no additional content. They'll be rich.

Camwi

This has probably already been pointed out, but doesn't the level of trophy factor in? I think Sony requires at least 13 bronze trophies, but other trophies are worth more, so the bronze count goes down more.

In this case, it's only five trophies because three of them are gold.

LakeEarth

360 achievements were good for the time. now I no longer care for achievements on One because devs can add as much as they like.

I don't care about achievements in general. However, I do care about the achievements of a game I love. Which is why I only have 5 platinums, but they're all for games I'd keep playing after getting them. I've yet to platinum a game and go "well I'm never playing this piece of shit again!"

papo

And this is important why? Trophies and achievements are just empty bullshit. You get nothing out of it if you get them all or none at all.

Now if they were talking about trophies that actually give you something that matters, but no they seel us that as DLC and the majority is happy to oblige.

some people like things.
some people like other things that are not the things that the first people like.
some people don't actually care.

why is any of this difficult to grasp? don't buy the game if you don't feel it's up to your standards. creators create with an intended audience in mind. if decisions they made during the creation process don't put you in that audience, the issue isn't on their end.

LiK

I don't care about achievements in general. However, I do care about the achievements of a game I love. Which is why I only have 5 platinums, but they're all for games I'd keep playing after getting them. I've yet to platinum a game and go "well I'm never playing this piece of shit again!"

same here. I've platinumed every game I loved. it feels great to complete them entirely. I like the challenge.

I like Trophies, and I do find myself going after the plat in games I truly enjoy. Its sad that there are only 5 trophies in Firewatch, but that won't stop me from playing it.

So you're not required to collect 7 different doohickies in every level to make a percentage go up?

How is this even a game. Sony should be ashamed

Mendrox

Yes and even many back then where it shit like this didn't exist. My trophies were beating Ruby Weapon or Omega Weapon in FF7 or getting Excalibur I + II in FF9, doing all optional things in FFX and beating Richter etc. I didn't need a stupid reward for things like this... I did them because they were fun and how it is supposed to be.

Collection 100 feathers in AC2 and getting a few points which you could use for a discount on a new console... this is a waste of time and it is just a way to get the player to complete things.

The best example how people fall into this trap? World of Warcraft (and I played this on release for two years inlcluding the BC addon). People just check of things and get a cool "yeah you did this shit" thing. :) And they think they managed to do something worthwhile and bam...they want do more. :)

some people like things.
some people like other things that are not the things that the first people like.
some people don't actually care.

why is any of this difficult to grasp? don't buy the game if you don't feel it's up to your standards. creators create with an intended audience in mind. if decisions they made during the creation process don't put you in that audience, the issue isn't on their end.

I binned my original reply because you pretty much said what i wanted to. Thanks.

I think I did it more before Trophies and Achievements were a thing, but that was probably due to having more free time when I was younger. I've yet to get a Platinum but did everything there was to do on Oblivion on PS3 which didn't have trophies.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that I'm not saying I now 100% games less because of trophies. It's just a coincidence that it worked out that way.

Hanmik

I like Trophies, and I do find myself going after the plat in games I truly enjoy. Its sad that there are only 5 trophies in Firewatch, but that won't stop me from playing it.

ohh it won't stop me either.. it was even nr. 3 on my most anticipated games for 2016 list.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188560640&postcount=21

1: Day of the Tentacle Remaster. One of the best games EVAR...!
2: Uncharted 4. I just loved the first games. And the mp beta has me hooked.
3: Firewatch. Just something about this game that speaks to me.
4: Dark Souls III. I loved Bloodborne.. and this looks like it.
5: The Last Guardian. After so man years of waiting.

I think the devs knew what they were doing. Firewatch shouldn't be a game of "feel forced to do this because of these trophies."

I'm glad I can just play the game and get all the trophies without having to think about getting them. I never was a trophy hunter and I have a hard time seeing how this could be a motivator for some to buy the game, but I respect their decision to base it on that.

With that being said, it's really not that deep.

I wish every game had like 250 trophies. You would get one for starting the game, one for loading, one for saving. I'd have them go off all the time and you wouldn't be able to turn them off, just to annoy all of the whiners who come in and shitpost about how much they don't like trophies and achievements.

Top Bottom