• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Complete Spec Analysis! PlayStation 4K

viHuGi

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JJbWo8y58M

CPU: The good news is that there will be a CPU upgrade over the lacklustre x86 cores found in PlayStation 4. The bad news is that the cores themselves have not been changed at all - they have simply been overclocked from 1.6GHz to 2.1GHz - a 31 per cent improvement. As with the current PlayStation 4, one core and a time-slice from another is reserved for the operating system.

Memory: We're still at 8GB of GDDR5, with a 24 per cent boost to bandwidth compared to the original PS4. The current machine uses 5.5gbps memory modules. Basic maths suggests that Sony has pushed this to the same 7.0gbps modules we see on high-end graphics cards like the GTX 980 and GTX 980 Ti. There are some concerns here. The boost to bandwidth isn't exactly huge, it will still be in contention with CPU utilisation (they both share the same interface), and the bandwidth doesn't scale particularly well with the mooted GPU boost, which - to be frank - is massive.

GPU: This is the most exciting aspect of the spec. Compute unit count doubles from 18 to 36, and clock-speed increases from 800MHz to 911MHz - a 14 per cent increase. That's an overall increase of 2.3x in FLOPs. The question is, what technology is being used here? AMD has created both of its current-gen console processors so far by taking older, off-the-shelf components and disabling a couple of compute units. In effect, Xbox One got the Radeon HD 7790, while PlayStation 4 got a more capable, semi-custom Radeon HD 7870. Here's where things get interesting - the 36 compute unit count cannot comfortably fit any of AMD's existing GPUs. It suggests that Sony and AMD have pushed the boat out, that they are using the upcoming Polaris technology.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sonys-plan-for-playstation-4k-neo-revealed

Okay, mostly speculation that we see here.

DF leaning towards the new GPU being from the upcoming Polaris line (an adaptation of of those GPUs).

Feels like a GAF --> Internet --> GAF video.

damn, nice about to get out off work so gonna watch this later but reading the op sounds good.

ah seriously, i backpedaled like a mofo. im in day one.

btw. did they say if the ARM chip that handles DVR and whatnot was buffed up as well?

The GPU more than likely will have a lot of the features Polaris on desktop has, but it's still a semi-custom design, so it's probably not identical in feature set, and depending on how long Sony has been planning this, it might lack some features and have some console specific ones you won't find in AMD's desktop GPUs.

Banned
Hopefully we'll see software taking advantage of this hardware soon after release.

I'm thinking £349.99-£399.

JordanN

Banned
It's kinda funny how the Playstation brand went from being the weakest consoles of its generations, to now having TWO most powerful ones on the market at the same time.

It's like Sony got bored of the competition and decided they rather fight themselves.

The comment about developers having to stick with 50GB Blu-ray discs was a bit odd. Seems that would be a given considering games have to be compatible with the old model.

Did you watch the video? He spent the second half of it talking about what *might* be, what it *might* mean, what line of AMD tech it *might* be coming from, what the tech *might* allow for, whether or not it *might* include a BD drive, when a revised unit *might* come out.

Okay, mostly speculation that we see here.

DF leaning towards the new GPU being from the upcoming Polaris line (an adaptation of of those GPUs).

Feels like a GAF --> Internet --> GAF video.

Anyone on any website looking at the specs and has an idea of the amount of CUs AMD GPUs have would have guessed it. Without confirmation it's still just speculation.

Proelite

The bandwidth modest boost isn't really concern. GCN 1.2 and 1.3 will introduce massive bandwidth savings through compression.

ironcreed

Banned
So they went big on the GPU. Cool for those biting, I guess. It will be interesting to see the differences across the same games.

The comment about developers having to stick with 50GB Blu-ray discs was a bit odd. Seems that would be a given considering games have to be compatible with the old model.

i guess they clarify it again so that people dont get confused and expect higher capacity bluray discs because most people dont know (i mean im learning as this all stuff is happening thanks to gaf)

dt2

Banned
It's kinda funny how the Playstation brand went from being the weakest consoles of its generations, to now having TWO most powerful ones on the market at the same time.

It's like Sony got bored of the competition and decided they rather fight themselves.

To be fair PSX and PS2 were top dog at release and released a good chunk before their more powerful competitors. There's also dispute between the PS3 and Xbox 360 although in terms of raw power I think most people tend to agree that PS3 is on top. We also don't know about NX which rumors say is more powerful than PS4 (should be out before or around the same time as Neo).

Anyone on any website looking at the specs and has an idea of the amount of CUs AMD GPUs have would have guessed it. Without confirmation it's still just speculation.

that's how I felt about the entire video, yes. facts that we already knew by being a GAFer along with some of their own speculation to fill out the video. I mean it's cool, but nothing confirmed for anyone who's been paying attention.

Eolz

It's not a "complete" spec analysis when they don't even know what the GPU is or any possible architectures changes there might be, small or not.

Polaris is looking like it's going to change AMD's fortunes. I said the same before their last GPU line-up. And the one before that...but this time...will be different. I think.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The current machine uses 5.5gbps memory modules. Basic maths suggests that Sony has pushed this to the same 7.0gbps modules we see on high-end graphics cards like the GTX 980 and GTX 980 Ti.

It's actually 6.5GB/s modules (256 / 8 * 6500 = 208). I think they have a typo and the actual bandwidth is 208, not 218, right?

nekomix

Wouldn't the change in the GPU architecture create some problems of compatibility with the older PS4 APIs or things like that? Maybe it doesn't work like that at all , I'm just asking.

orochi91

So would I be right in saying the new gpu has 4.14tflops? If so that's more than a 970gtx...tightimes ahead

I believe some PC folks stated in a previous PS4K thread that AMD and NVIDIA don't count Tflops the same.

In other words, AMD Tflops are not the same as NVIDIA Tflops.

farisr

I'm not technically savvy in these matters, but I wonder if the massive increase in GPU power can actually help pick up the slack for the CPU via GPU compute. So while people say framerate is CPU limited and that we won't see 30 to 60fps increases, what if the GPU takes a much bigger load off the CPU than the standard ps4's does at this time thanks to having double the number of compute units? Would that in theory allow free up the CPU to push a 30fps ps4 game to 60fps.

As as I said I'm not technically savvy. This is just me throwing random ideas around that are probably not possible.

108060fps1weirdtrick4k_zpsehbecuhn.jpg

Top Bottom