• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

And this is despite me turning off auto update and hiding the Windows 10 prompt that keeps coming up. I'm not happy about this at all. And I don't have the patience to reinstall Windows 7 again because I have too many programs to reinstall and I can't be bothered to go through all that.

And I tried to see if I can roll it back but I don't have the option to which pisses me off even more.

Vol5

I just ran an update to a brand new win7 laptop and it's taking forever. Probably downloading Win10.

Nokterian

And this is despite me turning off auto update and hiding the Windows 10 prompt that keeps coming up. I'm not happy about this at all. And I don't have the patience to reinstall Windows 7 again because I have too many programs to reinstall and I can't be bothered to go through all that.

After installing windows 10 a restart is more than enough and everything you have will pop back up on your desktop. Went from 8.1 to 10 and nothing was lost i still have everything when i upgraded it.

Give it a go. Its good. There's loads of tools around to turn off telemetry bullshit, and you get cool stuff like built-in recording for games. Its win-win, really.

Nzyme32

Doesn't it give you up to 1 month to revert back to your old install with no problems?

I would not be confident in the performance of the system after going through all of that. Generally I'd always want a clean install.

Fezan

Doesn't it give you up to 1 month to revert back to your old install with no problems?

yes but you run into so many problems some times e.g it converted my windows dirve to raw format which wasn't being detected and in the end had to lose some precious data on my drive to get my laptop working again

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Once you turn off the data-mining, it's not so bad. Solitaire has ads, though.

jmga

Well luckily for you Windows 10 is a good OS.

Yes.

But you shouldn't, W10 is a good OS.

FYI: Pressing X on the update prompt means that you agree. see /r/Windows

Congrats.

Give it a go. Its good. There's loads of tools around to turn off telemetry bullshit, and you get cool stuff like built-in recording for games. Its win-win, really.

Just accept it. W10 is great.

Enjoy using a better OS.

Windows 10 is better than 8 and in my opinion even 7 so, don't be too upset.

Listen to this guys and just let M$ fuck your ass because you will like it /s.

sinxtanx

revert within a month if you find it isn't working for you

opinions are highly divided on W10 so listen to no one (except this advice) and decide for yourself

KJRage

This happened to me 2 days ago. Walked away from the computer for literally 5 minutes and came back to it updating. I hear Windows 10 is good, but I felt sad for my 7 :(

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes.

But you shouldn't, W10 is a good OS.

FYI: Pressing X on the update prompt means that you agree. see /r/Windows10

Hahaha, MSFT gonna MSFT.

Not for the fact that X meant CANCEL since the beginning of X on a graphical interface.

Oh, I get it... X, Windows 10, 10 = X... clever.

Kiyo

revert within a month if you find it isn't working for you

opinions are highly divided on W10 so listen to no one (except this advice) and decide for yourself

If by highly divided you mean a vocal minority that clings to Windows 7 as the greatest OS ever then yes. Otherwise, you'll find that most people have no problems with 10.

I still don't get why people are so raving about Win10 and were so heavily against Win8.1. I've been using both (happily), and they're pretty similar (you could ignore metro completely easily in Win8.1).

the start menu is overrated. There, i said it.

Ah, the joys of Windows Update.

You can always just reinstall Windows 8, or 7, but support will end some day no matter what you do. If you need Windows, you might as well switch to 10 now, while it's free. You're going to have to eventually.

Come over to the Linux side; the grass is greener here. You have to plant it yourself though, and there are fewer games you can play on said lawn, but at least your system never does shit you don't ask it to, and you can use whatever desktop environment you want. Also, the updates don't take forever to install, or randomly reboot your pc. Console+Linux for life! :)

Makikou

Hahaha, MSFT gonna MSFT.

Not for the fact that X meant CANCEL since the beginning of X on a graphical interface.

Oh, I get it... X, Windows 10, 10 = X... clever.

Yeah it's stupid. MS seems to be really pushing hard on UWP and getting dat user install base.

Still, clicking no on the Win10 EULA should automatically roll back (or you can do that in the settings for 30 days if you so wish).

poodaddy

Man I wish this would happen to me. I've Windows 10 on the wife's laptop and I gotta say I absolutely love it, but every time I try and update the desktop to 10 it says something went wrong about halfway through the update and it restores to Windows 7. Don't get me wrong, I love 7 and I'm used to it, but I really like Windows 10 and I just can't get it working on desktop.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This seriously can't be true?
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html
According to both the latest and the previous versions of the support document, the upgrade and its scheduled implementation is approved when the user either clicks the "OK" button or the "X" in the upper right corner of the notification.

"If you click on OK or on the red 'X', you're all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do," the document stated. The "X" Microsoft mentioned is one way to close a window in Windows.

But Microsoft's interpretation of clicking the X is contrary to decades of practice in windowed user interfaces (UIs) and normal user expectations: To users, shutting a window by clicking the X tells the OS to remove the notification or application frame without expressing an opinion, selecting an option or calling up an operation.
Vpcj0QO.jpg

petran79

Banned
you can have Windows 7 and update only for that OS, if you choose "Show all available updates"
I have this panel on my laptop for months

Windows%2BUpdate%2Bimpending%2Bupgrade.png

Is it installed completely and ready to go? If so, it skipped like 5 pages of data collecting questions that users would otherwise can turn off through custom install.

Mirk

Mine just shutdown in the middle of a game and restarted to install it! So I have excepted it and took 2 hours removing all the shit that comes with it. Its kinda bs that you have to go through so many hoops to get rid of crap like the xbox app or one drive and all this other bloat. >:/

Top Bottom