• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

I work in software, and forced Windows 10 updates have screwed up aspects of associated hardware (like issues that require registry changes among other things) in the stores we support. Needless to say, the last couple of days have been complete hell.

SigSig

What a shit show, I hope they get sued for this shady shit.
I tried the Windows 10 insider builds earlier, a lot of stuff was broken and what wasn't broken was inconsistent as hell, so I didn't exactly jump at the chance for my "free" upgrade. A few days ago I finally caved, thinking that surely by now everything would be fixed.
It wasn't.
Migrated to my Macbook for the time being. Why would I have to spend time to tweak my system not to display ads etc.? An operating system should come ootb with this kind of stuff disabled. smh

And this is despite me turning off auto update and hiding the Windows 10 prompt that keeps coming up. I'm not happy about this at all. And I don't have the patience to reinstall Windows 7 again because I have too many programs to reinstall and I can't be bothered to go through all that.

And I tried to see if I can roll it back but I don't have the option to which pisses me off even more.

That's their angle.

jaypah

Sucks that you got forced OP. Also wtf at clicking X to agree to updating? That's like parody levels of crazy.

On the subject of W10 itself I upgraded as soon as I could and I'm never looking back. My PC is mostly for entertainment though.

gaugebozo

I run long calculations (like a week) on my computer and would be furious if I woke up to an updating Windows. I want to update to 10, but have been avoiding it just to make sure it doesn't break any of my dependencies. Holy shit, now I'm scared.

driver116

Yup, every time the same in these threads.
I can't believe how far we have come already.

It's a scumbag move, regardless of how good the OS is. My graphics card don't work properly for example with artifacts all over the screen in games. Take for instance if the Xbox or PS4 OS's were upgraded, or Steam was changed significantly and a bunch of games and apps no longer worked properly - I'm sure people would be just as happy about the free upgrade. Even more so if they did it without permission.

7h1ag0

magic-8-ball2.png

Cipherr

Listen to this guys and just let M$ fuck your ass because you will like it /s.

Yeah that's a really weird circle jerk around MS operating systems man. I don't get that at all. Its fine to have a personal opinion on something, but when you cheer someone's personal property doing something they have chosen for whatever reason to NOT have, you are just being a fucking douchebag.

My mother called me because she was having problems with her notebook. Turns out it was installing windows 10 without her concent. lol

Woorloog

Banned
But It's a free OS update and it's better than 7.

Not the fucking point.

I agree it is good but issue here is that people aren't given a choice! I updated voluntarily and i'm satisfied with Win 10 but if i hadn't been given choice? I'd be using Linux right now, really.
And no, forcing people to use something is not automatically good.

firelogic

It doesn't matter if it's free or better than 7. The problem is that it was forced on the user without his consent. How would you like it if I went to your house and replaced your favourite appliance for something else without your consent? Why are you complaining? It's better.

Whompa02

Not the fucking point.

I agree it is good but issue here is that people aren't given a choice!

Well they chose to run Windows from the get go on their machine. Windows runs the show. You wanted Windows, you got Windows.

It doesn't matter if it's free or better than 7. The problem is that it was forced on the user without his consent. How would you like it if I went to your house and replaced your favourite appliance for something else without your consent? Why are you complaining? It's better.

What a terrible analogy considering my dish washer was just replaced by my apartment company for free and it works better. I didn't cry. It was a free upgrade.

Irrelevant. I have a second system I use for work, I have to combat the fucking aggressive updates because I work from home. All of us working remotely do (until much of the company's software is updated to support it without melting down). Its ridiculous to see people cheering someone having something forced on to their pc that they dont want. You don't know anything about why someone isn't updating and it's really none of your business TBH.

If I wanted someone to tell me what was best for me and force it down my throat, while fanboys cheered the effort and yelled at me to take it, I would chuck all my windows products and buy a full ecosystem of Apple products.

Highly doubt it disrupted your work flow that severely. Honestly just sounds hyperbolic.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This actually happened with a register computer at the bookstore I work at. I noticed it was bugging you to upgrade but everybody just ignored it. Then one day, it just magically had 10 running on it and I thought someone caved in while I wasn't there. Now I know that shit just installed itself, and that's creepy as hell and lucky that it didn't break the register software.

Cipherr

Irrelevant. I have a second system I use for work, I have to combat the fucking aggressive updates because I work from home. All of us working remotely do (until much of the company's software is updated to support it without melting down). Its ridiculous to see people cheering someone having something forced on to their pc that they dont want. You don't know anything about why someone isn't updating and it's really none of your business TBH.

If I wanted someone to tell me what was best for me and force it down my throat, while fanboys cheered the effort and yelled at me to take it, I would chuck all my windows products and buy a full ecosystem of Apple products.

Crayon

Pretty much. I'm going to start just hacking people's shit and installing linux for them because its "duuuur free and betta what's yo problem?".

Woorloog

Banned
Well they chose to run Windows from the get go on their machine. Windows runs the show. You wanted Windows, you got Windows.

The fuck? Those people probably chose Windows 7 (or 8 or whatever). Not "All Windows".

Pretty much. I'm going to start just hacking people's shit and installing linux for them because its "duuuur free and betta what's yo problem?".

A good analogy.

I hope that doesn't happen on my PC. I upgraded manually a while back, but my internet didn't work under Windows 10 - it wouldn't detect any internet connection. Spent a couple of hours pissing about tech forums on my iPad trying the various suggested fixes until I got fed up and rolled back to W7, where everything worked without issue.

AmFreak

It's a scumbag move, regardless of how good the OS is. My graphics card don't work properly for example with artifacts all over the screen in games. Take for instance if the Xbox or PS4 OS's were upgraded, or Steam was changed significantly and a bunch of games and apps no longer worked properly - I'm sure people would be just as happy about the free upgrade. Even more so if they did it without permission.

I'm on your side.
Shit like this wouldn't have flown 10 years ago.
I can't believe how many people defend this with the "it's a great os" bs.

MS's pushing of Windows 10 is so shady I have to imagine it will be brought to some EU court eventually.

have they been forcing users in the EU to auto upgrade? They might be avoiding doing this to EU users just because they don't want to get tangled up in another anti-trust case.

Whompa02

The fuck? Those people probably chose Windows 7 (or 8 or whatever). Not "All Windows".

I guess it just didn't make sense for Microsoft to cater to "special cases" like those who care about an old operating system that on all accounts is a worse operating system.

I would have cared more if Windows 10 wasn't a good and legit upgrade. Turns out I welcome upgrades. Weird.

This is the worst defense I've heard yet.

Better operating system. There's no rational reasoning keeping 7 other than, "but my privilege."

Kvik

That's debatable. I wouldn't call a corporation collecting personal data (and you have to explicity edit your registry settings to completely disable data collection) would signify "a better OS".

For example, this is what Microsoft collects, based on their privacy statement:

When you acquire, install and use the Program software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage. For example, when you:

• install or use Program software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility (e.g., to help devices and apps work together),
  • when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text),
  • when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes to use it for purposes such as improving performance (e.g., to help retrieve documents more quickly), or
  • when you input text, handwrite notes, or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features, (e.g., to help improve the accuracy of autocomplete and spellcheck).
The Program software and services may contain internet-enabled features and social functionality. When these features are used, they transmit certain standard computer information ("Standard Computer Data") to Microsoft. Standard Computer Data may include information about your computing environment such as IP address, network status, operating conditions and information about devices and software used with the Program software and services.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

Sure, have my browsing history and my email address book, free of charge.

This, a million times over. My PC still hasn't updated. Thankfully so, because I also work from home and at the current moment the software I use doesn't work properly on win 10. So basically if my comp would update without permission, I would be in trouble.

You can't defend the forced upgrade to windows 10 that microsoft is pushing, it's one thing to keep asking you but it's another to force it with hidden prompts or 15 minute timers while you are using the toilet.

People saying it doesn't matter are missing the point.

I'm perfectly at home with Win 7 and i don't play high end game on my computer.
I have no reason to upgrade and i don't want to.

Many program i use don't work on Win 8.1/10 ..i don't care about this upgrade. Having to fight this upgrade is painfull

Anyway Windows Upgrade is disabled for me and i have blocked the Iptoward windows update servers so i'm safe but it's sad that i have to go to these lenght just to enjoy the product i've paid all those years ago.

Fat4all

Banned
I haven't upgraded my laptop yet because there are programs I use for work that apparently don't work as smoothly on the new OS.

Yeah that's a really weird circle jerk around MS operating systems man. I don't get that at all. Its fine to have a personal opinion on something, but when you cheer someone's personal property doing something they have chosen for whatever reason to NOT have, you are just being a fucking douchebag.

I don't know. I think slow adopters, especially slow adopters to things that are free, are just about the worst thing for me as a software developer. It's a security nightmare as older OSs at some point are EOL'd which means any vulnerabilities are left unpatched. It's why I shake my head when I see retail terminals still running XP embedded. It's like no wonder it's so easy for credit fraud. There's tons of malware that target POS terminals running on Windows XP. Upgrade your damn PCs. Well, that is, upgrade your PCs if you want your information secure. All these people paranoid about the collection of anonymous information for advertising purposes yet not realizing, if they stick to their old OS, every keystroke is bound to end up getting logged and sent to a more seedy destination without any kind of process to make that data anonymous. It's just insane to me even though I realize a lot of it is ignorance. People don't quite understand the implication of the choice to not keep up to date when it comes to PCs and smart devices.

Calabi

I'm just not installing Windows 10 because of Microsofts bullshit. Anything they are forcing this badly cant be a good thing. I'll do it when I want to, if ever, my choice, my reasons, fuck microsoft.

MCN

Banned

When it's a computer connected to the internet, it should be kept up to date to minimise the risk of exploits in older versions of operating systems being taken advantage of, either to propagate malware or to create botnets.

It's the computer version of herd immunity. Basically you're the PC version of an anti-vaxxer.

GHG

I guess it just didn't make sense for Microsoft to cater to "special cases" like those who care about an old operating system that on all accounts is a worse operating system.

I would have cared more if Windows 10 wasn't a good and legit upgrade. Turns out I welcome upgrades. Weird.

Better operating system. There's no rational reasoning keeping 7 other than, "but my privilege."

You do realise that some people depend on their PC's for work right? And that not all software is 100% compatible with W10?

The ignorance in this thread is something else...

When it's a computer connected to the internet, it should be kept up to date to minimise the risk of exploits in older versions of operating systems being taken advantage of, either to propagate malware or to create botnets.

It's the computer version of herd immunity. Basically you're the PC version of an anti-vaxxer.

Windows 7 will continue to receive security updates for the next 4 years at the very least. What's your point exactly?

MCN

Banned
Y
Windows 7 will continue to receive security updates for the next 4 years at the very least. What's your point exactly?

Windows 10 will get security updates for even longer. What's your point? And you know what Windows 10 is? A fucking big, free security update.

And I'd love to know what software works perfectly in Windows 7 that doesn't in Windows 10.

Amauri14

ONEOFUS, ONEOFUS,ONEOFUS, ONEOFUS,ONEOFUS, ONEOFUS,ONEOFUS, ONEOFUS,ONEOFUS, ONEOFUS,ONEOFUS, ONEOFUS,ONEOFUS, ONEOFUS.

But seriously thought, even if Windows 10 is a great OS (after destabilizing, the spyware, update torrenting and some other shits), forcing the update to everyone it's a extremely shittty thing to do.

Actually when I upgraded my W7 to W10 was only because my hard drives (D) had died and in consequence my Windows 7 cloud not run any executable files. I actually had to go to the upgrading process twice because the task bar wasn't working on the first one, but that's another whole story.

I don't know. I think slow adopters, especially slow adopters to things that are free, are just about the worst thing for me as a software developer. It's a security nightmare as older OSs at some point are EOL'd which means any vulnerabilities are left unpatched. It's why I shake my head when I see retail terminals still running XP embedded. It's like no wonder it's so easy for credit fraud. There's tons of malware that target POS terminals running on Windows XP. Upgrade your damn PCs. Well, that is, upgrade your PCs if you want your information secure. All these people paranoid about the collection of anonymous information for advertising purposes yet not realizing, if they stick to their old OS, every keystroke is bound to end up getting logged and sent to a more seedy destination without any kind of process to make that data anonymous. It's just insane to me even though I realize a lot of it is ignorance. People don't quite understand the implication of the choice to not keep up to date when it comes to PCs and smart devices.

At work ( and i say this as i'm a network manager ) , i can't upgrade all the computers because i'm forced to let the users works with programs that don't work well with Win10.
you could say " but upgrade your program!" but when the program are forced on me by the ministry of education in my country , what can i do ? The current solution works perfectly fine.. this isn't windows xp with all those vulnerabilities on https/ssl .. windows 7 Still does a great job if your environnement is well managed. ( it's my job to manage it ).

Why should i go toward win10 again ? ( and risk making half my programs unusable ? )

gaugebozo

What a terrible analogy considering my dish washer was just replaced by my apartment company for free and it works better. I didn't cry. It was a free upgrade.

Did they take whatever dishes were in it at the time? Were some of your dishes incompatible with the new dishwasher? Because that's why I don't want to update.

tomasdk

All you guys praising W10 probably have a different version than me because it's the biggest pile of shit I have ever had the misfortune of using. Thank god it's only on my laptop I'm not using very much where I wanted to test it out as each session ends with me being furious since I always find something new that either works worse or doesn't work at all compared to W7.
Like, why the fuck is there no option to turn off automatic updates? Sure, it can be done, but the process of doing it is needlessly complicated and it makes no sense it not being an option like it used to be since forever.
Outside of DX12, I see absolutely no reason to use it and by the time DX12 is widespread we'll be at probably Win12 anyway.

Maybe it's good and it works a bit better than 7 but it looks like a tablet OS and it restricts me from changing settings I could change in W7. So no, not a fan and I can't see a scenario where I would use it. If MS auto installs it on my main computer it's being rolled back the second it boots up.

gamz

I'm just not installing Windows 10 because of Microsofts bullshit. Anything they are forcing this badly cant be a good thing. I'll do it when I want to, if ever, my choice, my reasons, fuck microsoft.

Get used to it. That's where it's going. Chrome doesn't ask you if you want to update. Eventually it'll be the same for all software. Google started the rapid software cycle and it ain't going away man.

Top Bottom