• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

Crayon

This seriously can't be true?
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html

Vpcj0QO.jpg

Yeah. No.

Fuck those people. I'll use that shit when I'm paid to.

Why do you think the quality of the operating system and the admittedly shitty way they are forcefully deploying it to people have any correlation?

Because they wouldn't be forced to use those means if product was attractive to people.

If the system was good people would flock to it like they did to W7 especially with free upgrade.

CHC

The whole Windows 10 thing is so funny, MS is so desperate for everyone to have it. It's a good OS but the way they always shove it on you is like being at a restaurant who just will NOT accept that you don't want his food, or something.

You look away for one second and he's put more food on your plate. That's MS right now.

But honestly it's a good OS so give it a try.

eXistor

It's a good OS, but it's the principle of the thing. Some people just don't wanna upgrade for legit reasons and they're forced to by MS, who just wants 100% control over everything. I dunno what they're planning, but I'm sure their plans include W10. It's a very shitty practice if you ask me.

Z3M0G

Lucky you... ive been trying to do the upgrade for months and it always fails. I must be out of time soon...

Edit: The X thing is pretty fn assenine though...

Compsiox

Banned
Happened to my cousin a couple days ago.

He was just like duuuude wtf I got Windows 10 somehow. Luckily he wanted it anyway.

Menitta

I saw a bunch of people on Twitter yelling about that. 10 is good though. I think people are shitting on it because 8 was bad and that's it.

That being said, it's crappy that MS is doing this.

Makikou

Because they wouldn't be forced to use those means if product was attractive to people.

If the system was good people would flock to it like they did to W7 especially with free upgrade.

The system is good, people didn't "flock" to W7 just like that. It just happened over time since they started killing off XP and 8 sucked (8.1 was pretty good though).

What I do agree on is that people would be more receptive if MS stopped shoving it down everyone's throat all the time.

I suggest using DWS for example though with Win10 to gain easy control over the spying of sorts. (Destroy Windows Spying, google it)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Windows 10 is the devil and Microsoft now owns your soul. There is no escape. Trust me I've been trying to go back to Windows 95 for a long time.

SRTtoZ

It sucks that they did that but give it a chance. I was a windows 7 user for a long time, never switching to W8 until W10 came around and its glorious. No issues with games or anything and the OS seems to run quicker all around.

jrcbandit

Congrats, Windows 10 is a fantastic OS once you turn off the annoying advertising/tracking BS.

Go to Settings, Privacy and turn off everything in the General page, turn off Location in location section, and in the Feedback and Diagnostic section turn it to Basic. Here is a guide. Do step 7 if you want to be absolutely sure no telemetry data is collected.

Exactly yesterday my PC tried to update by itself when I shut it down. "Now Installing Windows 10" - I freaked out and forced shut the computer. Saved myself from that...

valouris

I was in the W10 is a good OS camp for a really long time, until a latest update completely wrecked the whole OS, and I had no way of refusing that update specifically. Uninstalling that single update didn't work as it automatically installed it with the next reboot. Deferring updates didn't work because it was a security update. I had to completely disable the Windows update service and willingly put its security to risk, just in order to use my own computer.

Bad OS is bad. For different reasons than usual, but bad nonetheless.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This topic reminds me how relaxed we've become over time with data-mining.

Deadbeat

Banned
Some of you really suck when it comes to dealing with this issue. Dont install the update that nags you to install win10 and leads to this whole problem. Why is that so hard? I have my parents figuring this out. Dont install the number 83353 [Edit: KB3035583] or whatever the hell it was. Done.

Worst case if you have win 10 now is use that program that turns off all the data mining. Then play cat and mouse with windows updates.

Tirod

Honestly, today I just let Windows 10 do it's thing and install on my laptop. Was tired of the pop ups and general annoyance, so I just did it. Microsoft won on that strategy lol.

With the install, I lost nothing and my now 6 year laptop is running faster than it was on Windows 7 (it also pruned some old programs that aren't supported on 10, basically bloatware I never got around to uninstalling).

I'm pretty impressed so far exactly 1 hour into my OS experience.

Crispy

I hate how Windows 10 forces updates on you and only notifies it's going to update about ten minutes in advance.

You mean the sooner we get rid of DX11 api which makes sure our games work properly 10 or 20 years in the future?

If you're implying DX12 is linked to UWP...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Only a few of these are UWP, with a larger percentage being non-UWP Steam exclusives.

Also, DX12 has resulted in massive performance gains for Dolphin with so far only basic implementation. Last I checked, it's not a UWP either.

And last I remember, DX11 was garbage.

Ubuntu is a fine operating system. ;)

I don't mind Windows 10, it does the job... but hopefully Vulkan brings about more gaming options for Linux. I dual boot and would rather be on Linux, honestly.

Aters

I'd love to upgrade to Win10 but I'm not sure if those visual novels back in 2002 still work on Win10. Gotta finish them before the update.

RawNuts

Everyone claiming that this is a good thing likely uses their PC for lite tasks or games.

When you run a lot of programs that will likely have compatibility issues with newer OS versions, or your workflow has a heavy reliance on old plugins and OS shell integration that is no longer supported by the developer, updating to a new OS becomes a very involved process. If I woke up to this automatically happening like OP did, I would freak the fuck out.

I still use XP.
I have XP as a boot option as well for certain software; still one of the best versions of Windows.

mxgt

Banned
A lot of shameless posts ITT.

It doesn't matter how good Win 10 is - it's absolute bullshit that MS are forcing it on people even if they don't want it. I've had to deal with this issue for countless users at work for weeks now.

I don't mind Windows 10, it does the job... but hopefully Vulkan brings about more gaming options for Linux. I dual boot and would rather be on Linux, honestly.

Yeah, I have pretty much switched back to Linux Mint 17.3 as my main OS and I am much happier overall with the experience that I get on this OS over what I get on Windows. The only thing that has been holding me back from completely reformatting my Windows drive is that I still use the OS for gaming.

Strimei

A lot of shameless posts ITT.

It doesn't matter how good Win 10 is - it's absolute bullshit that MS are forcing it on people even if they don't want it. I've had to deal with this issue for countless users at work for weeks now.

This.

The W10 may be the best OS ever, but if I don't want to update, I don't want to update. If I tell it no, it should remember that and stop trying to force the update.

jrcbandit

Everyone claiming that this is a good thing likely uses their PC for lite tasks or games.

When you run a lot of programs that will likely have compatibility issues with newer OS versions, or your workflow has a heavy reliance on old plugins and OS shell integration that is no longer supported by the developer, updating to a new OS becomes a very involved process. If I woke up to this automatically happening like OP did, I would freak the fuck out.

I have XP as a boot option as well for certain software; still one of the best versions of Windows.

That almost sounds like a passive aggressive insult, you don't do any real work on your PC so you guys don't care! (although I doubt that was your real intent, lol)

Guess what, I still use various older statistical/graphing software on my PC and they still work great on W10, same with a program that renders molecules/proteins, FlowJo for flow cytometry, and this program I used to render images from an image based cytometry. So people who use their computer for real work also can use W10 successfully ;p.

ghostjoke

Banned
FYI: Pressing X on the update prompt means that you agree. see /r/Windows10

LOLWUT? Even if Windows 10 was the most amazing thing ever to exist, wtf Microsoft; guess it does tie in with Windows 10's inability to maintain consistency. I can't even be mad anymore, just waiting for the news story that Microsoft sends thugs to beat up someone's family until they install Windows 10.

That almost sounds like a passive aggressive insult, you don't do any real work on your PC so you guys don't care! (although I doubt that was your real intent, lol)

Guess what, I still use various older statistical/graphing software on my PC and they still work great on W10, same with a program that renders molecules/proteins, FlowJo for flow cytometry, and this program I used to render images from an image based cytometry. So people who use their computer for real work also can use W10 successfully ;p.

Congrats on it working for you?

RawNuts

Yeah, I realized how insulting it sounded after I posted it. :S

It's just that a lot of programs have compatibility issues with a newer OS, especially if they're no longer supported, so upgrading to a new Windows becomes a long process of checking into everything you use beforehand. I'm glad you got the programs you use working for you though.

Crayon

Ubuntu is beaaaauuuuutiful. I spend almost all my time there and that includes gaming time. Not perfect, but as an enthusiast of general computing, just a much much more enjoyable environment.

But I do keep a drive with win 7 that is strictly for serving games thru inhome streaming. I use it maybe every few weeks?

br3wnor

I have my update settings that make me approve even just the downloads so I'm safe from the upgrade. I understand 10 is probably better than 7 but for what I use my computer for, I don't care. and I know for a fact that some of the weird drivers I had to set up for things like my game controller and headphones are going to be fucked up if I upgrade and I'm way too lazy to reconfigure things so they work in 10.

Funny to see Windows going this hard to get people to upgrade though, must be jealous of iOS update rates.

W10 is fine, I personally wouldn't go back to an older version now and I've not encountered any problems since upgrading. Plus stuff like DX12 support for gaming and upto date software is never normally a bad thing.

Lebon14

Good OS or not, if someone hasn't upgraded by now it's because they chose not to. MS should be rightly derided for this kind of shit.

Exactly. That's shaddy as fuck; the same tactics malware use to infect PCs. If people don't want Windows 10, don't force them.

Personally, I've tried Windows 10 for... less than 12 hours at the end of 2015. There were so much design flaws on top of having a copy-paste issues (ie. Not all files would be copied from target to destination) that I decided to go back to Win7 where I have 0 issues. You can read my rant here here (Or Page 5, 12th post from the top). A lot of people will probably disagree with my opinions here or will find workaround for me. I don't care about workaround. I don't like Win10 PERIOD. Win7 for life.

And last I remember, DX11 was garbage.

Let's not get crazy here. DX11 wasn't garbage. AMD's drivers weren't good for it, but AMD also sucks for OpenGL.

DX12 really only has low level API going for it over DX11. Most(All?) of the HW featuresets are exposed in both. You just choose how much management you want to do.

Top Bottom