• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: [The Elder Scrolls 6] "it's a very long way off"

Taker34

Banned
So, this is an interesting topic which isn't being talked about that much, due to all the E3 craze - make sure to check out the video at the end of this post! - Todd Howard is talking surprisingly open but cryptically about it:

According to Todd Howard, we're not seeing TES VI for a very long time. In a recent YouTube Live at E3 interview with Geoff Keighley, Mr. Howard talked openly about current and future Bethesda Game Studios projects. When being asked about TES VI, Todd Howard confirmed that they're currently working on it but implied that we won't hear about TES 6 for a really long time.

Todd Howard actually went as far as saying that we'll see the 2 other projects BGS is working on, before the next The Elder Scrolls installment. Bethesdas VP of Marketing, Pete Hines also stated almost a year ago that we won't hear about the next TES game for a very long time.

It basically explains why we received that Skyrim remaster, which was very obvious to me.
Releasing remastered games of certain franchises makes sense:
- if a sequel is on the way in order to increase or to keep interest in said sequel
- if a prequel is necessary, in order to complement or complete a connected story
- if a sequel in development will not be released in quite a while - which also serves to keep up interest in a franchise

I think that's interesting because TES isn't a series which suffers from franchise fatigue. While many can argue about the quality and direction of TES, these games are usually being released about every 5 years or so.
On the other hand Bethesda Game Studios probably doesn't want to do only Fallout and TES forever, so being able to work on new concepts and titles is certainly helping to keep things fresh and new.

The most surprising part though is Todd Howard mentioning that the technology for TES VI just isn't out there yet, for what they're planning to do.
I wouldn't be surprised if TES:O and Skyrim:SE is everything we're going to get this generation. Maybe TES VI will heavily rely on VR or might even take place in Akavir - including a whole playable continent?

Either way, I think it's a pretty unusual move - especially coming off a game which sold 20 million copies in a franchise which previously never managed to sell more than 5 million copies per title.

Here's the full interview with Geoff "Punished Snack" Keighley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBEfBQvOYU

What are your thoughts on this, GAF?

Send the Adoring Fan to me, if old.

Not surprising. I'm expecting an announcement in 2018 at the very earliest, not before.

The tech comment is interesting, though. Maybe they want to go to Valenwood? The cities there are constantly on the move.

Or they're finally going crazy and putting all of Tamriel in there.

Are they going to use a new engine? That's all that matters technology wise from them to me.

Lets also hope they learned some lessons from Fallout 4.

:(

He says something that the hardware needed for TESVI isn't even out yet. TES mainline series skipping a generation? Sad if true..

Mesoian

2019 I'd bet.

And yeah, they NEED a new engine. I'd imagine what's what the lion's share of the next 3 year will be.

Loxley

Anyone who thought this was going to be announced or unveiled anytime soon was just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Grisby

Hopefully they can get the tech it takes to run the game to play at an effective framerate. Take all the time you need if you can make some major engine overhauls.

mnannola

Anyone that thinks they are ditching Gamebryo, why would they put a bunch of effort into adding VR capabilities to it for Fallout 4? To me this shows they want to continue to invest into the engine, not scrap it.

Loxley

It's just too soon. Fallout 4 was released just last year and they're still releasing DLC for it. Typically Bethesda goes quiet for at least a year in between project announcements. Skyrim was announced two years after Fallout 3 was released.

eso76

OK so not ps4 or Xbox One but what about Neo and Scorpio ? :/

Also, remake Morrowind and Oblivion, but especially Morrowind while we wait. Thanks.

Taker34

Banned

BGS literally just released Fallout 4 and with the resources they have we're looking at a 2018/19 release - which won't happen because they'll release 2 major games within the next years... so TES VI seems to be a next gen >2020 game.

rdytoroll

I can wait. We will get a few years more of modding out of Skyrim, the Special Edition also helps

Get a new engine, don't streamline it even more and give us a RPG worthy of the name

Boy I sure hope that tech comment means they're switching to a new engine soon.

Also I'm really excited to see them tackle a new IP. I'd love to see something horror focused...they certainly love their Lovecraft easter eggs and questlines and Fallout 4 was at its best when it strayed toward the creepy.

wildbite

I'm glad they are taking their time. After seeing how beautiful the new God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn are, I want Bethesda to up their game to get on that level. If they released the game this year, I expect it would have been a letdown in terms of visuals.

I hope we at least get to see one of their new IP's next E3. I can't even begin to imagine what types of setting they could use for a new open world RPG.

Aurongel

Fallout 4 went through several development reboots before finally getting its' announcement trailer almost 4 years after Skyrim shipped. They also release the game a few months after the reveal and did so to massive financial success.

If/when Bethesda has a new flagship project to announce, you can bet that it will see a similar path to release as Fallout.

Jetman

Gotta milk Fallout 4 to death first V:

Shame really

And Elder Scrolls Online. I'm betting it'll be the main hold over in 2017 for the Elder Scrolls series with a 2018 TES VI announcement.

Did anyone ask Howard about the Elder Scrolls/Hearthstone-ish card game in that interview?

Think Elder Scrolls 6 should include both Daggerfall, Hammerfall, Morrowind, Cyrodill, Skyrim in one game. write some software that allows them to export the physical space from the previous games into a new engine and then rebuild everything from there on the same landmasses.

I think they should find a completely new approach to storytelling, because I am getting tired of their way of telling stories. They are bad at. And like Blizzard and Bungie its time they get some new writers and and some new ideas on how to convey those stories.
Why not hire an actual fantasy novelist like Patrick Rothfuss? Would give you some great characters, dialogue and plot. Elder Scrolls would be amazing if it had that level of narrative.

But it's like the people who make the scripts for these games are often developers themselves. They have their ideas for what is cool gameplay and then they don't wanna pass up the plot details to someone else. "Metzen Ego".

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
It takes time patching up the same engine over and over again.
jk
But please make a fresh new one.

Is there a region of Tamriel as large as Skyrim? Skyrim is the only Elder Scrolls I played, so I'm thinking the Kahjit homeland would be good to see if they haven't done that yet. I remember it being mentioned as a land of rain forests and deserts, which would make a good departure from Skyrim's environments.

StereoVsn

I can see this be late 2018 or even 2019 title. It would take advantage of Scorpio, NEO, PS5, etc...

I wonder what are the titles from Bethesda before then though. Fallout DLCs are going to be finished this year, and Skyrim isn't ported by them.

Hooks

Not surprised given the Skyrim Remaster. The wait is going to kill me, TES is one of my favourite franchises.

Takes a lot of time to record voiced lines for your protagonists, guys!

seriously, though, do take your time.

and remember

please remember

TO MAKE IT A FUCKING ROLEPLAYING GAME THIS TIME K THANKS

just kidding, you can ignore me beth, it's not like I'll be wasting money on another one of your open world games anyway

Taker34

Banned
Hold on...

Two other BGS projects before TES 6? Da fuck...what ever could that be?

Well, Todd was very cryptic during that interview - understandably. But he said something along those lines "you'd say, how are you going to do this, you don't have the technology for it".
Both projects are going to be bigger than anything they've done and we'll hear about those before TES VI ... and it'll make sense many years from now. So these projects could be TES related. It's certainly something BIG because they lack the time and technology.

br3wnor

I'm fine with it. As much as I'd love a new Elder Scrolls, the more time in between installments the bigger leaps they can make with the game and I honestly can just restart a new Skyrim character on PC and be entertained for another 50+ hours, haven't explored probably more than 50% of the game's content through 1.5 playthroughs.

Top Bottom