• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: [The Elder Scrolls 6] "it's a very long way off"

Cartho

Don't they often use mainline TES games to unleash new game engines / at the least extremely heavily updated ones? I know Oblivion was the poster boy for Gamebryo, and wasn't Skyrim on a new engine too? Or was that just hyper modified Gamebryo?

Interesting comment about the hardware. Makes me think they're working on a totally new engine. Hopefully it will have less shonky animations and people that don't look like something a child dreamed. In a calpol induced nightmare.

Or they're busy finding new forms of jank to inflict on their players. Current jank is getting old and in need of a refresh.

Some Nobody

Surprised we didn't get a thread about this earlier. The sad thing is, this time next year people are going to bring up TES VI as a possibility for E3, which will be a joke. If the "it's three games away" thing didn't clue you in, the part where he said "the technology doesn't exist yet" definitely should've. This is a PS5/XBSagittarius project. Easily 3-5 years off.

TheXbox

I'm surprised they have enough staff to work on two projects at once, let alone three. I can't recall the exact number, but last I heard their studio size was around 100 people? No wonder it takes them half a decade for every game.

Slermy

Is there a region of Tamriel as large as Skyrim? Skyrim is the only Elder Scrolls I played, so I'm thinking the Kahjit homeland would be good to see if they haven't done that yet. I remember it being mentioned as a land of rain forests and deserts, which would make a good departure from Skyrim's environments.

Cyrodill, the landmass in Oblivion is about the same size.

Kacho

I just can't help but think he's referring to current generation consoles when he says the technology isn't there yet.

Cromwell

Banned
Not surprising at all. Skyrim was massive, topping it is going to take some serious work, and at this point they basically have to create a new engine and will probably be targeting Scorpio/Neo to some degree. Expecting 2018 at the very earliest.

Well, Todd was very cryptic during that interview - understandably. But he said something along those lines "you'd say, how are you going to do this, you don't have the technology for it".
Both projects are going to be bigger than anything they've done and we'll hear about those before TES VI ... and it'll make sense many years from now. So these projects could be TES related. It's certainly something BIG because they lack the time and technology.

Well damn....that's kind of interesting. It could be Fallout VR, but what would the other be?
Let's just hope when TES6 finally comes that it will look outstanding, hopefully no more Creation Engine. Unless they can upgrade it even more, but i doubt that.

Steel

Banned
Is there a region of Tamriel as large as Skyrim? Skyrim is the only Elder Scrolls I played, so I'm thinking the Kahjit homeland would be good to see if they haven't done that yet. I remember it being mentioned as a land of rain forests and deserts, which would make a good departure from Skyrim's environments.

Morrowind is much, much bigger. The game only took part on an island in the province called vvardenfell.

120v

I never thought this gen had the chops for ES6 unless they were going for skyrim 2, essentially. Fallout 4 sort of confirmed this.

Glad they aren't just looking to cash a check with the next one... ES is my favorite series. I want all the stops pulled

Raven117

I think Bethesda does need to take some time for the next Elder Scrolls.

While you said there is not "fatigue" in the TES universe, I think there might be with Bethesda style games as evidenced by Fallout 4. The formula simply feels stale to me. (And I flippin love TES).

Bethesda does indeed need to spread its wings a bit and re-imagine some games.

Because quite frankly, Witcher 3 has upped the ante for open world RPG's to exceedingly high proportions.

YaBish

My guess is E3 2018 for an announcement. Back in February 2014, RockPaperShotgun reported that Todd Howard said "it would be a while" before an announcement of FO4. A year and four months later, it was announced.
Here's the link for anyone who's curious: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-don-t-expect-an-announcement-anytime-soon/1100-6417842/

To add to this theory:
FO3-FO4: 2008-2015 (7 years)
TES V-TES VI: 2011-possibly 2018? (7 years)

Only issue is that if they are making another game or another engine (or both) it could be until 2020 before we see anything :/

AmyS

So, no TES 6 until 2020 at the earliest, maybe 2021, that's another 4 or 5 years.

Wild guess: TES 6 probably won't run on consoles less than Scorpio, and that might be like Skyrim on Xbox 360. Sounds more ideal for the Xbox after that, PS5 and PC.

Mindman

The new One Tamriel update coming to Elder Scrolls Online later this year will hold me over nicely. That game is already good, but being able to visit any place on the map at any time will be so great.

GhaleonEB

He seemed to hint pretty strongly that at least one of the projects they have going is set in neither Fallout or ES universes. I wonder if part of the goal of the expansion is to create a third universe for them to play with and try out ideas that would not work on the other two. I'm hoping so, at least, despite how much I'd like an ES game to be next.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm surprised they have enough staff to work on two projects at once, let alone three. I can't recall the exact number, but last I heard their studio size was around 100 people? No wonder it takes them half a decade for every game.

They have a lot of mobile developers now so I'm assuming they mean mobile games for at least one of them.

Falchion

At this point why not wait and see how the next generation of consoles shake things up and then start in earnest.

Taker34

Banned
The whole tech thing does sound like VR to me. I mean, I wouldn't word it the way Todd Howard did if stronger hardware was the hold-up. A full fledged open world TES VR RPG is certainly something, which can't be done in VR nowadays. At least not in a satisfying way due to controls and other hardware issues.

I think Bethesda does need to take some time for the next Elder Scrolls.

While you said there is not "fatigue" in the TES universe, I think there might be with Bethesda style games as evidenced by Fallout 4. The formula simply feels stale to me. (And I flippin love TES).

Bethesda does indeed need to spread its wings a bit and re-imagine some games.

Because quite frankly, Witcher 3 has upped the ante for open world RPG's to exceedingly high proportions.
True, TES series kinda got progressively... I don't want to say worse, but more casual and less in-depth. We have less skills, less quests and less handcrafted or unique stuff in every sequel so far. While I personally don't like TW3 (gonna force myself through that game someday), innovation is always a good thing. So more power to whatever CD Projekt Red did right.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm beginning to think they have a new IP in the works. Didn't Zenimax/Bethesda trademark something called Starfield? Maybe a space RPG... one can dream I guess.

This is fascinating. Zenmiax has had two trademarks constantly being renewed for years now (which requires proof of work in progress) that still didn't show up this E3:

Redguard and Starfield

Logic has made it clear for a while now that TES6 is called Redguard, but this means there's a good chance Starfield is one of their other projects, and their next big release. Maybe that's not surprising given the popularity of Prey 2's trailer a couple years back? A Bethesda RPG in a sci-fi setting would fit in with TES and Fallout pretty damn well.

a67db9158ec331116a934962d8bc4a2a.jpg

BizzyBum

With Fallout 4 getting the VR treatment, you know TES VI will be all up in that. VR will only continue to improve, too. Pretty exciting stuff. It sucks it's so far away but the payoff will be worth it.

Also, for those that are looking for their TES fix while waiting for VI, I highly recommend The Elder Scrolls Online. It gets bagged on a lot but I find it extremely underrated as both an MMO and a TES game.

Drazgul

This is fascinating. Zenmiax has had two trademarks constantly being renewed for years now (which requires proof of work in progress) that still didn't show up this E3:

Redguard and Starfield

Logic has made it clear for a while now that TES6 is called Redguard, but this means there's a good chance Starfield is one of their other projects, and their next big release. Maybe that's not surprising given the popularity of Prey 2's trailer a couple years back? A Bethesda RPG in a sci-fi setting would fit in with TES and Fallout pretty damn well.

Redguard would be a completely lame name for a TES main series entry (just like The Elder Scrolls: Dark Elf would be) - maybe it's related to The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard?

Gurnlei

I'm fine with it if you can see results. I'm hoping for a new engine and more stable base for modding.

Still play ESO and Fallout 4 almost daily.

Drazgul

If this means Scorpio and its PS equivalent exclusive, I'm completely fine. 2019 perhaps?

No way:

“I could sit here and explain the game to you,” Howard continued, “and you would say, ‘That sounds like you don’t even have the technology. How long is that going to take?’ So it is something that’s going to take a lot of time, what he have in mind for that game, and we actually have two other large projects we’re also doing that are bigger than everything we’ve done. People will probably hear about those even before Elder Scrolls 6. That’ll make sense many years from now

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Redguard and Starfield

Redguard would be a completely lame name for a TES main series entry (just like The Elder Scrolls: Dark Elf would be) - maybe it's related to The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard?

They keep renewing redguard because they still sell it.

Top Bottom