• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Contacts Game Informer Over Misinterpreted Monolith - Zelda Quote

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo contacted Game Informer over a misinterpreted quote the publication printed on its website last week. The editor misinterpreted Miyamoto saying that "100 Monolith" people were helping Nintendo make Zelda, but Nintendo clarified Miyamoto was stating that the overall Nintendo team was over 100, with Monolith also helping like it usually has on the graphic production end of several recent Zeldas and first-party titles.

“Yes they are involved in this Zelda. People from Tokyo and Kyoto are working together on this. There is a team of over 100 [from Nintendo] helping work on this project, and their work has really been helpful.” (updated from Nintendo print)

“Yes they are involved in this Zelda. People from Tokyo and Kyoto are working together on this. There is a team of over 100 [from Monolith] helping work on this project, and their work has really been helpful.” (original Game Informer print)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Aonuma claimed the A Link Between Worlds team was more than 90. I wonder what the final number of Zelda: BotW will be.

vareon

Monolith's 1000 people is all working on Xenoblade X sequel to launch on Wii U. You know, 9 pregnant women will deliver 1 baby in 1 month.

Monolith is too busy making a Tatsu launch game for the NX to help with Zelda.

It's time.

XvCOD05.jpg

L~A

Aonuma claimed the A Link Between Worlds team was more than 90. I wonder what the final number of Zelda: BotW will be.

I assume that the total number of developers will be greatly inflated by all the sub-contractors (not to mention studios like 1-Up helping as usual), but the total number of Nintendo employees will seem "small" for such a big game.

Ridley327

How many people work at Monolith altogether currently?

The last head count we got of the Tokyo team (the ones that work on Xenoblade and the Banpresto crossover games) put it at ~120. The Kyoto team (the ones that act as a support studio on various Nintendo games) is a lot smaller, as I recall that the last reliable headcount on them was ~30. Tokyo did work on Skyward Sword, so they're no strangers to helping out the Zelda team, but I doubt it was the full force of their studio.

So this game is pretty much a Monolith game. Asking for "help" from over 100 of another studio is just saying they are making the game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The last head count we got of the Tokyo team (the ones that work on Xenoblade and the Banpresto crossover games) put it at ~120. The Kyoto team (the ones that act as a support studio on various Nintendo games) is a lot smaller, as I recall that the last reliable headcount on them was ~30. Tokyo did work on Skyward Sword, so they're no strangers to helping out the Zelda team, but I doubt it was the full force of their studio.

Nintendo only uses Monolith's graphic team though, as a production asset team. The labor force that fills in random NPC and pots and pans. Usually this stuff is outsourced to Japanese work for hire studios in Tokyo, but Nintendo gives the work to Monolith instead. They have to do something in between Xenoblades right?

Oregano

Nintendo only uses Monolith's graphic team though, as a production asset team. The labor force that fills in random NPC and pots and pans. Usually this stuff is outsourced to Japanese work for hire studios in Tokyo, but Nintendo gives the work to Monolith instead. They have to do something in between Xenoblades right?

That wasn't the case for Skyward Sword though. Duckroll went through the credits and a bunch of planners were from Monolith too.

AntMurda

That wasn't the case for Skyward Sword though. Duckroll went through the credits and a bunch of planners were from Monolith too.

There was an article where they mention it was for cinema planning which Monolith helped make. All the planners responsible for actual dungeons even did an interview and it was all Nintendo.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So this game is pretty much a Monolith game. Asking for "help" from over 100 of another studio is just saying they are making the game.

You literally misread that as badly as you possibly could. The whole point is that Nintendo is correcting that thing that you just said.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wait, the dev team is only 100 people? No wonder this game is taking so long to make.

100 Nintendo people (and affiliated Nintendo people maybe). I doubt it includes the external agencies, video work, voice work, etc.

They sometimes inculde coordinators / team leaders on the bottom end of planning when they do graphic cooperation. They did the same thing with Mario Kart 8 where NBGS was brought in last minute to help finish out the visuals.

redfox088

Banned
I think they move on from the "blade" suffix Xenoblade 3 just seems like more of the same gimme dat xeno- wars, faith or some other random English word so long as it indicates a different direction.

I love how Nintendo is commenting more. Yeah, I'm so glad to hear this!

I want a lot of people from Monolith working on Xeno 3 for NX so we get it quicker.

AntMurda

Ok, that makes more sense, it sounded like an Ubisoft sized development team before.

It depends what you count as a UBI soft developer. The fact that they list every employee name across all their offices in their game credits. Like 12,000 people were on the last assassins creed staff roll.

The next Monolith Soft game isn't a game like the Xenoblade Chronicles series.

It's described by Takahashi as something that people are surprised it's from them and is something new.

ika

It's described by Takahashi as something that people are surprised it's from them and is something new.
Source to that?

Last thing I read was the next game were going to have a bigger emphasis in story, so everyone assumes it's going to be another RPG, and probably a Xeno- title...

skypunch

Banned

Where did you read this? I read that he wants his next project to look and feel pretty different to XCX, but I don't remember reading anything about people being surprised it's from Monolith.

skypunch

Banned

And people still think his next project will be a sequel to XCX. He spells it out pretty clearly here that it's not.

Tetsuya Takahashi said:
I tend to get bored with things pretty easily, so I’d like to keep creating things with different approaches every time,” says Takahashi. “Along those lines, I’d definitely like my next project to look and feel pretty different from this one. The 'Xeno’ name, by the way, really just exists to make it clear that these are Tetsuya Takahashi productions.”

Sounds like a clean slate to me.

Top Bottom