• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO hits the #1 top grossing iOS spot in both the United States and Australia

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
really glad its a hit, i still havent played it but definitely plan to. i wonder how much staying power the game will have though, thats my concern

ryseing

The question is if Niantic can keep this up for months and months. I think I'll be in for the long haul (and even spend some money!) provided Niantic fixes their server issues, but I'm afraid GO is going to be similar to Miitomo in that everyone uses it for a week and then deletes it. I might be wrong though.

really glad its a hit, i still havent played it but definitely plan to. i wonder how much staying power the game will have though, thats my concern

Beat me to it.

Yaranaika

It isn't officially in any other app store, besides NZ.

I just wanna play this game all day but the servers keep going down everytime I leave the house.

oti

Banned
But what are people actually paying for? I can't imagine a lot of people running out on Pokéballs so soon.

Massa

Looking forward to Dark Souls GO next.

6uFTQdQ.png

Alienous

Everything I've seen points to it being a fad, which is a shame, because it doesn't seem like it would take much to hook people into truly Pokémon-like gameplay.

LordRaptor

I have a feeling this should be considered by people who think "nintendo should go third party" would mean mario on xbox / playstation

A hell of a start. If they can roll out content and features in a timely fashion, this things could have legs, too. We'll see how it goes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Everything I've seen points to it being a fad, which is a shame, because it doesn't seem like it would take much to hook people into truly Pokémon-like gameplay.

I think the big takeaway is that there's a major audience for Pokemon on mobile that they will continue working to capitalize on.

Pokemon Shuffle had some success. Not sure how the chess game thingy is doing.

RPGam3r

Game seems very boring. All I can do is click register and read a paragraph about how they're making Pokemon.com better... And by better I assume they mean make it work.

kennyamr

I'm glad it's doing that well, however the war is not over yet.
Nintendo doesn't win anything with that #1 spot, what will matter is how many people they will hook and make buy Nintendo consoles and other games.

They needed this much hype so I'm glad.

Edit: I downloaded it and tried to create a Pokemon acct, however the servers are down and I definitely don't want to log in using Google so I guess I will wait a few more.... days? weeks?

Zafir

Well the biggest issue at the moment is it's missing a lot of things I think.

Bladelaw

If Niantic fix the servers soon this will be an insane prolonged success. If the server issues continue for much longer (week or two) then I could see the user base take a dramatic hit.

AdanVC

Just imagine if this was released globally at the same time with top notch servers without issues???? The app store and Google Play store would have exploded!

ViolentP

If Niantic fix the servers soon this will be an insane prolonged success. If the server issues continue for much longer (week or two) then I could see the user base take a dramatic hit.

I'm thinking it will see a big drop in users in the coming weeks. And it won't be because of the servers.

Azuran

Banned
Too bad it's impossible to play since you can't never connect. If I barely have the patience for it and I'm a huge fan, then I assume the casual user may have dropped the entire thing altogether because those constant server issues are ridiculous.

Do we know if AC and FE will be ftp?

They have to be. Expecting the average mobile user to pay full price for those games is lol

Get ready to that beautiful gatcha Fire Emblem where you have to rerolll for 2 days to get that rare Ike!

I've read so many stories of servers going down right as people use consumables, I'd hate to work for their Customer Support over the next few weeks lol

But yeah, game is addictive and even I considered paying $5 for some crap. But then I got knocked offline and quickly realized that I shouldn't.

Daft Punk

Banned

This. Playing the game for a few days has shown that this game could possibly hit Miitomo levels of irrelevance quickly unless they keep players attentions. Running around grabbing multiples of the same Poke gets tiring after a while.

Wiped89

It's only natural that some players will drop off after playing for the first week or two, but for a while there should be an equal number coming to replace them while it remains new and exciting. That's the nature of the casual/mainstream market.

The key question is how long that period of new people still coming in in large quantities lasts. The Wii managed to do this for four years straight before its userbase dwindled.

Assuming the game is updated, bugs are fixed etc and new content added down the line, it should be able to settle down into a core base of loyal players in the long term. The second key question is, how large will that core base be?

LordRaptor

Why make a crappy handheld and just make mobile games to get those billions, am i right?

It's more that if the traditional market can no longer support their own traditional dedicated gaming hardware platform, their option of last resort is not going to be someone else dedicated hardware gaming platform.

sonto340

I've already dropped $15 on pokeballs and a couple lures. And most of the poke balls I've used uo have been used to capture. One of the benefits of working third shift is nobody is awake to clog the servers. The encounter rate is just about perfect.

They need to deepen the rpg elements

4 attacks. Actual combat, putting pokemon in logical places promoting travel

Adding in more pokemon etc

Lots of depth can be added

I think the big takeaway is that there's a major audience for Pokemon on mobile that they will continue working to capitalize on.

Pokemon Shuffle had some success. Not sure how the chess game thingy is doing.

The big takeaway for me is that people are more attached to the Pokemon name then it as a game since this is just Ingress with the Pokemon license slapped in it with minimal effort

There's also no gatcha system or anything like that so I doubt it will stick. I don't think the mobile market tends to stay on titles that are fun, they stick to ones that encourage investing money or having dailies

heringer

I'm glad it's doing that well, however the war is not over yet.
Nintendo doesn't win anything with that #1 spot, what will matter is how many people they will hook and make buy Nintendo consoles and other games.

They needed this much hype so I'm glad.

Edit: I downloaded it and tried to create a Pokemon acct, however the servers are down and I definitely don't want to log in using Google so I guess I will wait a few more.... days? weeks?

Yes they don't win anything. Except money.

I mean, I get your point, but there's a lot of money being made already.

lt519

Yes they don't win anything. Except money.

I mean, I get your point, but there's a lot of money being made already.

Exactly, daily revenue for a top grossing app in the App Store (forget even including Android) is in the high hundreds of thousands. Even if this is a fad for two months that is some serious serious dough.

Chris R

Too bad it's impossible to play since you can't never connect.

I downloaded it, caught a single pokemon (not counting the starter) and have already uninstalled due to the servers being so garbage. More power to the people enjoying it though.

Top Bottom