• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO hits the #1 top grossing iOS spot in both the United States and Australia

_machine

Revenue that is immediately cut by 30% and fluctuates wildly based on ever changing popularity.

It's a win, but I honesty think they care most about the brand awareness. The highest margins for them are in the merchandizing which they dont have to pay for and the license holder, yet get a piece of everything.
Nah, I looked at some of the estimates and it's certainly so high that it will outclass any other product they have (merchandise profit margins also vary wildly, and a 30% cut is very good in the context). Not to mention the fact, that mobile gaming spending behavior is very dependent on customer lifetime, so even with a middling retention it's ARPDAU is going grow substantially. The model definitely has room to be one of Nintendo's business pillars.

Escalario

Banned
What people seem to forget is that Nintendo doesn't gets 100% of revenue from Pokemon stuff. Wouldn't weird me if they would get less than 20%, considering how many companies have the rights to it.

_machine

For those that might not know it, Top 1 Grossing in US means that the game is almost guaranteed to bring in more than $1 million daily, and from just one platform and one country. So far, all data and estimates point that way too.

oti

Banned
It's fun and engaging, which is something Pokemon hasn't been for me in a long time. It takes the best aspect of Pokemon(collecting) to the max.

I feel like many of us who've been following the Pokémon games over the years have learned to expect what a Pokémon game is (heck, it's basically the same game every time anyway) but others who loved Pokémon when they were younger or had kids who loved Pokémon etc. are now finding a way to actually engage with that stuff themselves, either after many years or for the first time ever. This is where this series needs to go next imo (while also developing traditional mainline games of course). There's a ton of money from people willing to spend money on that thing they knew way back in the day lying on the table.

I like the Pokémon mainline games for what they are, a great nostalgia trip, but I agree that this is the most engaging Pokémon experience I've had in a while. Maybe it'll only last a week or a month, but I don't mind. For now I'm having a blast.

For those that might not know it, Top 1 Grossing in US means that the game is almost guaranteed to bring in more than $1 million daily, and from just one platform and one country. So far, all data and estimates point that way too.

Oh interesting. Care to share a source?

_machine

Oh interesting. Care to share a source?
They're all paid sources (or based on insider information), but you can probably find some public estimations on Clash of Clans' daily revenue when it was Top 1, which keep in mind was quite some time ago and the overall daily revenue of top 10 has grown significantly yoy. Well actually there is this: https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/ but I can say that their revenues are pretty wildly off, and it's not really a professionally used source like AppAnnie.

EDIT: Wrt Thinkgaming; that said, $1.5 million is by no means unrealistic, and I think that's the rough ballpark figure we'll see from most credible (paid) sources.

What people seem to forget is that Nintendo doesn't gets 100% of revenue from Pokemon stuff. Wouldn't weird me if they would get less than 20%, considering how many companies have the rights to it.

As per the thread that explains the relationship, and I don't know if this is entirely accurate but the people seemed knowledgeable, most of the revenue from something like this goes directly to Nintendo and then much smaller amounts are redistributed to the pokemon owners.

As for their deal with Niantic, that is something that no one will know for a while I would think.

Durden77

I wonder how it'll do in winter.

People keep saying this but some people actually enjoy the winter. I'm definitely looking forward to it more in winter than this scorching heat now.

It'll be too cold sometimes, but it will also be too hot (like GA now).

_machine

For those comparing the game to Miitomo, I should mention that Pokemon GO shows signs of easily hitting +$1 million USD daily revenue even though it hasn't launched completely globally, where as Miitomo didn't look like it ever cleared even close to 50K daily revenue, worldwide.

HardRojo

Everyone's talking about it, even friends who don't play games that much and remember Pokemon purely for nostalgia (which probably makes up most of the userbase of this app), so if TPC plays their cards correctly this can be a huge hit, the likes of Minecraft, Angry Birds and others (I'm not talking about Pokémon as a whole here, just Go, as Pokémon in general already hit cultural phenomenon status years ago).

Shmuppers

Looking forward to Dark Souls GO next.

6uFTQdQ.png
L
M
A
O

I want it to tank.

If it doesn't, then it gives Nintendo the idea that they can just release garbage games and slap a big name on it and itll do big numbers.
Oh the precious precious sodium.

Pokemon Go is going to outgross the 3DS release coming up. How do you feel now? And lol, the game is not garbage.

_machine

Oh the precious precious sodium.

Pokemon Go is going to outgross the 3DS release coming up. How do you feel now? And lol, the game is not garbage.
Honestly, the first data is just so impressive that I certainly would not be surprised if it far outgrosses any other recent Pokemon title.

For some more context, the early data on revenue is much stronger than even Clash Royale, which I believe was the strongest US mobile game launch ever. Nintendo just needs to ensure their technology scales and they can set a decent content/feature pipeline to ensure even a below average retention profile and they will have a massive hit on their hands. And by massive I mean +$1 billion gross lifetime revenue.

Is this game even published by Nintendo?
Technically on the stores it's under Niantic, and the whole ownership seems to be a complex matter, but Nintendo is the largest stakeholder.

So yeah, the launch seems to absolutely bonkers; better than anyone would've expected and very likely record-breaking. And they have yet to launch it globally, ensure tech stability and do user acquisition.

Is this game even published by Nintendo?

The Pokemon Company, of course. But they're Nintendo-owned so the distinction is more-or-less pointless.

edit: or Niantic I guess, but that might just be because they submitted it to the App Store? IDK.

HoodWinked

i dont play this but noticed some girl walking around and happend to see a pokemon ball on her screen so i'd assume she was also playing.

didn't really know what this game was, and i had no idea it was out.

then this morning on WeChat, seemingly at least a quarter of the hundred plus people on it (at least half of which I didn't think were gamers even remotely other than I guess Candy Crush) were all spamming Moments about their new pokemon lol

doubt my Facebook would be the same since gaming is a lot my ubiquitous with most people I have on WeChat, but still... Angry Birds and that dog face app were probably the last time I saw a trend like that haha

Yikes. Good for them, after the wet fart that was Miitomo. They could get massive money if they do this right, don't fuck it up. Turn generations into Seasons and you'll keep people returning for more.

RIP Pokemon though.

Isn't it winter in Australia?

Yep.
it was 6c (43F) and raining lightly yesterday afternoon and I saw a lady playing it in our office carpark. Earlier that day I saw about 50 people playing it. Our office has two pokestops in our atrium and someone put a lure on one of them. I've seen people playing at their desks (I can reach two of those pokestops from my desk).
Coming back from lunch I saw a group of twenty people playing it outside our local community centre.

Being cold doesn't stop lunatics people leaving homes and offices and walking places.

It's almost like neogaf wants this game to bomb for some reason

Seriously. It may be because there is a lot of sociability and imagination involved.

Last evening it was fun to walk and talk with my boyfriend, catch Pokemon at local murals, coffee shops, monuments, and art exhibits. We also met some nice people out in groups using the app. It was a fun time.

wmlk

It's fun and engaging, which is something Pokemon hasn't been for me in a long time. It takes the best aspect of Pokemon(collecting) to the max.

Except it isn't good at doing that because there are so many bugs with the servers. Maybe when the thing actually works, but there's almost nothing to the collecting aspect other than just randomly finding Pokémon at this point.

The app is popular because of the sheer scale and it taking place in real life. It's driven by word of mouth and a feeling of wanting to be a part of it. You're vastly underestimating how much there is to the collecting aspect in the mainline games, especially with the online functionality.

Galang

Banned
Nobody will remember this game in a week, but congrats to Nintendo anyway. Now gimme Fire Emblem! I'm ready to shell out big money to roll Lucina

SalvaPot

The Pokemon Company is owned by both Nintendo and Game Freak.

Even then, if its less than 20%, its still a shitload of money. And new interest will probably motivate people who haven't played a pokemon game in a long time to maybe go back and get a 3DS with any of the 4 soon to be 6 mainline Pokemon games in it.

egocrata

Banned
I only know that one of my state legislators has been posting about it on Facebook, and that a good chunk of my TL, with plenty of non-gamers, seems completely obsessed with it.

Looks like a hit, indeed.

MK_768

People keep saying this but some people actually enjoy the winter. I'm definitely looking forward to it more in winter than this scorching heat now.

It'll be too cold sometimes, but it will also be too hot (like GA now).

Yeah. I'd be more inclined to walk outside in the winter than summer. I hate sweating so I rather be cold. Sweating is just more uncomfortable to me lol

If they can keep people's attention for long enough to incorporate real time battles, trading, and secret base captures. then this could go platinum

Best thing some of the hardcore pokemon fans claimed this is just a spinoff and wouldnt impact pokemon canon games.

This game most likely will have 200million downloads in a month or something crazy

Mariolee

I think what's really cool is just walking down the street and meeting new people who are using the app. Pokemon binds us all bretherens.

The game boy and ds line of products have almost always bolstered their bottom line when the console struggled.

Maybe the mobile games will now create a nice safety net for the console/handheld hybrid. I'm ok with that as long as they keep making great games for their own hardware.

Top Bottom