• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO hits the #1 top grossing iOS spot in both the United States and Australia

MisterHero

Game sucks, I got Kakuna and nothing loads anymore. I was pleasantly surprised and was preparing to have a great weekend outdoors too... lol

LordRaptor

The big takeaway for me is that people are more attached to the Pokemon name then it as a game since this is just Ingress with the Pokemon license slapped in it with minimal effort

It's interesting that Ingress was a lot more fun on a sort of abstract conceptual level than it was to actually play and not just how well the abstract concepts of pokemon mesh well with it, but how as soon as you put concrete designs onto those abstract concepts the whole thing just... feels more interesting,
Collecting a creature from a bestiary is more interesting than collecting abstract energy, setting up a gym is more interesting than establishing a portal, etc etc

I can see this game having a steep drop in popularity by the end of the month.

There's just not enough there to hold one's interest.

Hyoukokun

There's obvious directions for them to go with it (after all, it's only using a tiny fraction of the available Pokemon). And Ingress was relatively popular and successful for what it was without the Pokemon brand behind it. I think Niantic can make it work if they keep at it.

Darryl

Banned
The big takeaway for me is that people are more attached to the Pokemon name then it as a game since this is just Ingress with the Pokemon license slapped in it with minimal effort

There's also no gatcha system or anything like that so I doubt it will stick. I don't think the mobile market tends to stay on titles that are fun, they stick to ones that encourage investing money or having dailies

yea. I feel like if the Servers weren't pounded id probably have played this for just a few more days. but now that it's so big, I bet they'll keep people hooked with the promotions. burger King promo, visit a museum and catch a rare mon promo, etc.

they are in the door so the possibilities are really endless for keeping people hooked. the hard part is over. this game can really stick if they can keep content coming out

Wiped89

Personally, I'm struggling to see the attraction, as someone who has put 270 hours into Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.

I already have all the 151 Pokemon in this game, and I can battle with them properly in my game. I don't know what I'd get out of playing this. I realise, though, that I'm not the target audience for this and if it keeps people playing Pokemon, then great.

I wish they'd add some deeper elements to it, but that are different from the main series, to get my interest. It would be cool to play with my favourites without having to worry about stats and competitive viability, but I'd also want to be able to build a proper team up and take on people across my city. If it's just naff little touch and swipe battles, what's the point?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I'm struggling to see the attraction, as someone who has put 270 hours into Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.

That you put in 270 hours into the latest main RPG entry and are passionate about the competitive aspects is exactly why you don't see the attraction, I would imagine. It doesn't seem like this is targeting players who are already buying the DS games.

Even for casual players they better keep the updates flowing regularly because it will get old quick.

Personally I think its pretty scrappy right now but can see a cool mobile game hiding underneath

Let's just hope more Pokemon get patched in soon. Variety is the spice of life. Ingress is a modern western tech company so I hope they frequently patch the problems out as fast as possible.

zoukka

I'm glad it's doing that well, however the war is not over yet.
Nintendo doesn't win anything with that #1 spot, what will matter is how many people they will hook and make buy Nintendo consoles and other games.

They needed this much hype so I'm glad.

Actually no. #1 in US app store makes more money than Nintendo can even imagine.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't have any interest in the game, but a bunch of people on my Facebook feed who never talk about video games have been talking about it.

Frankly, its popularity kinda scares me. I don't want Nintendo to see so much success on mobile that they move significant resources over to supporting phone games. I have no interest in gaming on my phone with no buttons.

I'm not suprised its making a lot of money right now. I work outdoors and i've been seeing tons of people playing it, hell one person crossed a pretty busy street without looking while playing it luckily he didnt get hit.

I might have to give it a try but i never got into ingress like my other friends did so i'm not sure if i'll like it.

Even for casual players they better keep the updates flowing regularly because it will get old quick.

Personally I think its pretty scrappy right now but can see a cool mobile game hiding underneath
They only have to release 10 new Pokemons every month and done. Like Ingress, leveling up your character and the Pokemons, can make you play this game for months even years. I already have playing Ingress like a year, and for me Pokemon Go have a better formula. BTW trade Pokemons can be a great idea too.

Bulzeeb

Doesn't seem to even be in the top 500 on Android. That's odd.

everyone is downloading the APK or at least that was the case with all my friends since it hasn't been released officialy in my country. I will wait since I don't want to keep a cellphone charger with me all day long

Arrrammis

I've had a lot of fun for the hours when servers were online... set up in a coffee shop with a stop on it and put on lucky egg + lure mod + incense and caught a ton of great pokemon. Also, saw a few people walk in with their phones, some sat down and some swiped and left. Didn't get to interact with too many people, but it was still fun! I'll keep it, hopefully they can figure out their servers at some point.

jnWake

I love all the "concerned" people in the Pokémon GO threads. Game has been successful its first few days. We'll see later if it was just a fad or if it has staying power but seeing so many people speculate with no basis is so tiring. Also, comparing it with Miitomo seems cheap since GO is, at least, a true "game" with levels, experience and factors that will hook up people more than Miitomo ever did.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think the big takeaway is that there's a major audience for Pokemon on mobile that they will continue working to capitalize on.

But they won't capitalize on it in the no brainer way: Port the older generations to mobile. Fuck, emulators have been doing that for ages now and it's what most people do anyway. Might as well put their old stuff on mobile and/or release their new generation mobile as well and be done with it.

Randdalf

I don't have any interest in the game, but a bunch of people on my Facebook feed who never talk about video games have been talking about it.

Frankly, its popularity kinda scares me. I don't want Nintendo to see so much success on mobile that they move significant resources over to supporting phone games. I have no interest in gaming on my phone with no buttons.

A bigger problem for me is that it's just not economical to release a game without a F2P business model on phones, especially if you want to be in the top 10 grossing.

Ploid 3.0

Cool, I tried it, got the one pokemon in my yard and uninstalled it after that. Kids might love it. I would have.

Actually no. #1 in US app store makes more money than Nintendo can even imagine.

Revenue that is immediately cut by 30% and fluctuates wildly based on ever changing popularity.

It's a win, but I honesty think they care most about the brand awareness. The highest margins for them are in the merchandizing which they dont have to pay for and the license holder, yet get a piece of everything.

Oxn

Cool, I tried it, got the one pokemon in my yard and uninstalled it after that. Kids might love it. I would have.

I was in the 7th Grade when Pokemon got big in the USA, and I bought Pokemon Red on release week.

I dont think a 12 year old me wouldve even like this garbage.

Maybe 6-8 me would.

Now Invizimals, now thats a game 12 year old me wouldve really enjoyed.

massoluk

Banned
I want it to tank.

If it doesn't, then it gives Nintendo the idea that they can just release garbage games and slap a big name on it and itll do big numbers.

Garbage games? Wut? Technical problem aside, people legit are having fun times with this game.

Maxinas

I want it to tank.

If it doesn't, then it gives Nintendo the idea that they can just release garbage games and slap a big name on it and itll do big numbers.

Need to talk man? On a scale of 1 to 10, how much pain did nintendo inflict on you?

So far, extremely disappointing. The AR doesn't work on my phone, the servers are garbage, battles at gyms are incomprehensible to me so far, and the game seems extremely grindy.

I want it to tank.

I'm usually the first one to shit on casual games and cash grabs, but this game seems to go in a great direction. The only problem so far, is that it seems like it's on Early Access.

Oxn

Need to talk man? On a scale of 1 to 10, how much pain did nintendo inflict on you?

Look im sorry i insulted your favorite franchise. But there is actually a real game coming in October for you to get excited about. Save your energy for that.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I hope it stabilizes soon. I had a meeting at a local university today, and figured the campus would be prime territory.

Repeated attempts to logon failed before and after the meeting.

It also logs me out whenever it shits itself, so I had to stop using my preferred (2-factor) google account.

Pretty frustrating tbh

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm surprised anyone was able to stay connected long enough to buy anything.

That being said, the game isn't terribly deep so unless Niantic starts tossing in features by the boatload I don't forsee many people sticking it out past a few weeks.

I want it to tank.

Only... this game is obviously no garbage. The "original" ingress has been around for years, and with the power of the Pokémon brand behind it GO will probably last even longer.

hampig

I would love if this inspired Nintendo to really put their all on mobile dev. Mainline games on the NX like Zelda, and mobile games that once were on the 3ds on the phone and NX (or 3ds I suppose) would be great.

Maxinas

Look im sorry i insulted your favorite franchise. But there is actually a real game coming in October for you to get excited about. Save your energy for that.

I have plenty of energy to go around, by the way it's in November. I wouldn't go blaming Nintendo, when they weren't the ones who developed the game, just saying; and i actually agree that Pokemon Go is incomplete, and the fact that they just released it out of the blue, means they probably rushed it out into the market. I just hope they steadily release new content throughout the year to keep interest, or else it won't be in the top charts for long.

Top Bottom