• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Most" Lives Matter - Full Frontal with Samantha Bee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Delusional racists who willfully deny reality to uphold their racist views and if they let just one empathetic thought enter their dam of stubbornness, their self-perception and worldview will come crashing down. And that cannot happen so they keep denying reality in the face of overwhelming evidence of white supremacy.

Mesoian

Delusional racists who willfully deny reality to uphold their racist views and if they let just one empathetic thought enter their dam of stubbornness, their self-perception and worldview will come crashing down. And that cannot happen so they keep denying reality in the face of overwhelming evidence of white supremacy.

At worst.

At best, it's people who have been coddled by the bubble of racial ignorance and intolerance fostered over generations who understand that the world outside of their sphere of influence is scary and dangerous and contains people they aren't familiar with, and subsequently choose to live in blissful ignorance, even though modern media, social or otherwise, records everything they do and continually places them on the wrong side of history.

There might be monsters outside, so let's live under the bed. No Homers.

D i Z

People are terrified of saying "I don't understand, and my peers would condemn me for asking or even caring to know why we hate so frequently". The cycle continues.

NeonBlack

How do you perceive BLM as on the same level as KKK? Did I miss the giant white people lynching?

Then they all admit to knowing nothing about the movement, but that obviously means you should be against it.

Lkr

Majority of white people don't know what black lives matter stands for, why am I not surprised? This is what happens when you take a group with a lot of racial bias and force feed Fox News to them all day

2-3 of them are trying...

the rest are a lost cause sadly

Edit: the lady at the end saying she isnt sure whether to say black or african american worrying not to "offend", 2016 yall

Yo the brother with the cowboy hat got silenced lol.

Black Republican: "We need to stop labelling everybody! black lives, blue lives

interviewer: ever been pulled over?

BR:............(Big ass smile).......... "No comment"

dead

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Black Lives Matter is basically a racist Rorschach test.

People either see the word 'only' in front of it, or the implicit "too" at the end.

Edit: the lady at the end saying she isnt sure whether to say black or african american worrying not to "offend", 2016 yall
The moment like 5 years ago where I realized that this confusion over which term to use is seriously the only thing most white Americans think about when it comes to race or black people was fucking illuminating.

"I'm so confused, which one to use?"

"I mean, you could just like, talk to black people."

"HOW? WHICH WORD DO I USE, THOUGH?"

SeanC

I mentioned it in another thread, but I'll just restate it: all you have to do to show the utter ignorant bullshit of Trump supporters, and apparently the GOP base as a whole now, is grab a camera and ask them a simple straightforward question.

They'll corner themselves and out their insanity in less than ten seconds.

HeySeuss

You know what sick and tired of? That shitshow breast cancer getting all the glory! Everywhere I look it's pink ribbons here and Susan G Komen there telling everyone how we need to band together and eliminate breast cancer. It's ridiculous and it needs stopped.

ALL CANCERS MATTER!!! People die of other cancers every single day but their plight goes unspoken for and it has to stop! Lymphoma matters! Hodgkin's matters! They ALL matter!

I urge everyone to start protesting the ones taking up Breast Cancer as their cause. I've even seen GROWN MEN trying to raise breast cancer awareness! The fuck? They should be proactive for cancers that effect them more, because it's not right that they fight for the wrong cause.

Bunch of scummy breast cancer advocates taking away from everyone else. The nerve.

Yo the brother with the cowboy hat got silenced lol.

Was sad, actually..he shouldn't be smiling.

I liked the elephant dude at the end, there's hope for him.

Agree that black lives matter.

Can't agree with the BLM movement (that black lives matter).

1338.gif

aeolist

Banned
The moment like 5 years ago where I realized that this confusion over which term to use is seriously the only thing most white Americans think about when it comes to race or black people was fucking illuminating.

"I'm so confused, which one to use?"

"I mean, you could just like, talk to black people."

"HOW? WHICH WORD DO I USE, THOUGH?"

if i don't know, how can i even use my "WHAT'S UP YOU BLACK PEOPLE" opener?

BLM needs to change it's name. The message is valid, as is the movement. But too many idiots don't make it past the name or under stands it.

deadlast

As a white guy, I don't understand why they can't say black lives matter. Maybe it's an RNC/GOP thing. Maybe there's rules. Like you can say All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, Radical Islam, and the ever popular "Why can't I say the N-word when they call each other it all the time?".
I feel like there is a booklet that I should be receiving with rules.

BLM needs to change it's name. The message is valid, as is the movement. But too many idiots don't make it past the name or under stands it.
Do you really think any movement for black equality would be accepted by most Americans, no matter the name? The name isn't the problem at all.

My city has multiple black protest groups with different names. They aren't treated any differently.

HeySeuss

What should they change the name to? Because no matter what they do, racist asshats and ignorant bigots will minimize anything they do.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. If your argument is some idiot could do something stupid in the name of a movement then changing the name would solve nothing anyway.
Their name perfectly states their position.

Mesoian

Let's not get it twisted, this thing could be called "Please help us, we're black people that need help", and people would still be saying the same things about it that they're saying about BLM.

The toxicity over the name has come from it's detractors, not from the negative actions of the movement itself, which have been, at worst, disruptive and, at best, annoying, both far cries from being "a group similar to the KKK".

Meanwhile, the people saying that are cheering for people who have been against speaking out against the KKK...

You know what sick and tired of? That shitshow breast cancer getting all the glory! Everywhere I look it's pink ribbons here and Susan G Komen there telling everyone how we need to band together and eliminate breast cancer. It's ridiculous and it needs stopped.

ALL CANCERS MATTER!!! People die of other cancers every single day but their plight goes unspoken for and it has to stop! Lymphoma matters! Hodgkin's matters! They ALL matter!

I urge everyone to start protesting the ones taking up Breast Cancer as their cause. I've even seen GROWN MEN trying to raise breast cancer awareness! The fuck? They should be proactive for cancers that effect them more, because it's not right that they fight for the wrong cause.

Bunch of scummy breast cancer advocates taking away from everyone else. The nerve.

giphy.gif

Fuck that. Most folks just feign ignorance..

Derwind

The lack of introspection is amazing. For something they seem to think is obvious like all human lives should be given worth and treated with respect and yet they don't seem to get or want to understand the motivations of a group to highlight one distinct population of lives also matter. A population that is historically disenfranchised and stigmatized to unbelievable heights.

And kids, that right there, the complete and utter lack of awareness is called privilege.

It's not something you need to apologize for but it can be dangerous if that privileged is used as a tool to further oppression rather than a tool to lead others out of oppression.

AYF 001

Black Lives Matter is basically a racist Rorschach test.

People either see the word 'only' in front of it, or the implicit "too" at the end.
I was thinking about that before, but I ended up coming to the conclusion that "too" could still be twisted around by racists. For example: "I believe black lives matter too
; just less than anyone else's.
" So unless someone wants to play Animal Farm, I thought "equally" would be a more specific implied term.

atr0cious

Was sad, actually..he shouldn't be smiling.
Word, but I'd bet money he gets dragged around as the good one, and the fact that he didn't have an answer for that, when that's probably a good portion of the conversations he's apart of when around republicans, speaks volumes about what role he plays.

People who object to Black Lives Matter understand Blue Lives Matter perfectly. The name is not the problem and never has been.

Bluenoser

I mentioned it in another thread, but I'll just restate it: all you have to do to show the utter ignorant bullshit of Trump supporters, and apparently the GOP base as a whole now, is grab a camera and ask them a simple straightforward question.

They'll corner themselves and out their insanity in less than ten seconds.

And yet there seems to be so many of them. Please be very very wrong polls.

As to BLM, I'm not sure why so many people are having trouble understanding what the movement is about. When the public routinely turn a blind eye to black people being killed, it's a pretty easy to understand name.

Word, but I'd bet money he gets dragged around as the good one, and the fact that he didn't have an answer for that, when that's probably a good portion of the conversations he's apart of when around republicans, speaks volumes about what role he plays.

You ain't wrong.

People who object to Black Lives Matter understand Blue Lives Matter perfectly. The name is not the problem and never has been.

Tell em..

wish i could find that gaf post about this black dude (analyst?) whos a republican but secretly votes dem and made a good living off it.

that hustle,lol

Harpuia

As a white guy, I don't understand why they can't say black lives matter. Maybe it's an RNC/GOP thing. Maybe there's rules. Like you can say All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, Radical Islam, and the ever popular "Why can't I say the N-word when they call each other it all the time?".
I feel like there is a booklet that I should be receiving with rules.

It tends to do with who you're surrounded by. Rules like being able to say Black Lives Matter or not tend to be created by the people you socialize with, the people in your immediate area and what values and beliefs they hold. If you fall out of line with what many people believe to be true, there's a possibility of being ostracized and to be treated differently.

As many of them stated as well, it's a lack of communication. White people tend to normally hang out with white people more than black people, due to how many neighborhoods are separated by race. As a result, they tend to see the world in a different way. And to them, it's OK, because all their life, it's how they've seen the world.

Talking is probably the single most important thing anyone can ever do in their life. It's one thing to think the way you do, but if you talk to others, you may find yourself being influenced by thoughts you otherwise would've never held, or help other understand the thoughts you hold.

Eidan

Much like with "feminism", if a person can't get past problems with the name to look at the substance behind it, they didn't really care about that substance to begin with.

I really wish these people had the guts to just say "Fuck black people."

When you operate your daily lives on the assumption that every single person is directly responsible for their own socioeconomic status and that in The Most Free of Countries US of A, we hold fairness in the criminal justice system to its highest regards, of course people who complain and protest are either being too lazy/crafty to work hard or are too dumb/unable to do so and just lash out. They, after all, have never experienced systematic oppression, and we're clearly not living in North Korea or some shit, so therefore if there's people who don't like their position in life they must therefore have done something wrong! Live in a crime-riddled neighborhood? You were just too lazy to get out of there! Get shot at by police? You just didn't follow orders! They can't accept these injustices lest they shatter their notion of what the country really is like.

Pretty much every single answer from the video feeds off of this attitude. They've grown up with a very childish viewpoint on modern race relations and are not only perfectly content with the way things are, they actually want to "take the country back" to a time when they were so young they didn't even have to consider minorities' viewpoints. When the little they know about BLM is fed to them through conservative media sources and social circles, of course they're going to grow to hate it despite knowing next to absolutely nothing about it.

It's pretty telling that there are so many people who are willing to keep hoisting this flag.

Your suggestion is not reasonable. This is not about being too stupid to understand the message, nor is it about convincing people or winning allies to the cause.

Edit:

I didn't even see this.

Tell em.

Jonm1010

Banned

Here's a scary thought - and I would actually say anecdotal experience makes this at least true on a small scale - lots of white people DO think BLM is a group advocating black lives above all else, and to them, blue lives matter is a sick way of saying blue lives matter more then black lives.

To them it is them hearing "black lives matter more then others" and their gut reaction is to say "no, blue lives matter more then yours."

SeanC

As to BLM, I'm not sure why so many people are having trouble understanding what the movement is about. When the public routinely turn a blind eye to black people being killed, it's a pretty easy to understand name.

It's the word "black." That automates the "us versus them" response in ignorant white folks (which there are plenty of).

Jonm1010

Banned
And yet there seems to be so many of them. Please be very very wrong polls.

I think you kinda answered your own question. Most people are just continuing to do what they have always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom