• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom removes rootkit from update to Street Fighter V

Tripon

Street FighterVerified account
‏@StreetFighter
The rollback to the PC version of SFV prior to the security measure update is now live. The new September content is included.

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/779484129012310016

New thread for new news. If mods wish to lock or merge with other thread, please do so.

Some Context to what Capcom was attempting in their own words.

Sep 229/22 Client-side Security Update
Community Announcements - WBacon [capcom]
Hello Street Fighter fans,

As a part of the new content and system update releasing later today, we’re also rolling out an updated anti-crack solution (note: not DRM) that prevents certain users from hacking the executable. The solution also prevents memory address hack that are commonly used for cheating and illicitly obtaining in-game currency and other entitlements that haven’t been purchased yet.

The anti-crack solution does not require online connectivity in order to play the game in offline mode; however, players will be required to click-confirm each time they boot up the game. This step allows ‘handshake’ to take place between the executable and the dependent driver prior to launch.

We are in the process of rolling back the security measures recently added to the PC version of SFV.

After the rollback process to the PC version, all new content from the September update will still be available to players.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will have an update on the timeframe for the PC rollback solution soon.

Kalopsia

Neo Member
Does this delete the rootkit already present on your hard drive (since uninstalling doesn't remove it) or is it just gone from the patch?

Venfayth

Does this delete the rootkit already present on your hard drive (since uninstalling doesn't remove it) or is it just gone from the patch?

So people who removed it manually had to uninstall the game and then reboot the computer before being able to delete capcom.sys because capcom.sys was in use at the kernel level.

I just turned on my computer after having installed the patch this morning. Steam downloaded and installed the removal patch nearly instantly. I checked and the capcom.sys was still in my system32 folder, but I was able to delete it, meaning it was not currently in use.

Make of that what you will.

It's still in my System 32 folder, and i can't delete it.

Any solutions?

Reboot and try again.

RK9039

I honestly thought they would have taken weeks to fix this. Now I wonder why they even bothered doing this in the first place. Nice try Capcom.

It's still in my System 32 folder, and i can't delete it.

Any solutions?

Restart and delete, if that doesn't work try booting into safe mode and do it there.

ed:

Ouch.

untitled43sei.jpg

Caffeine

I'm confused why were they using a rootkit. I once had a rootkit on my pc long ago and I had to wipe windows. they are releasing virus's now ?

Thank goodness they quickly fixed the problem that they introduced in the first place.

(Also, the fix doesn't actually delete capcom.sys according to people, you have to go delete it manually out of your System32 folder.)

Ploid 3.0

I'm confused why were they using a rootkit. I once had a rootkit on my pc long ago and I had to wipe windows. they are releasing virus's now ?

On pc people could use memory apps that served as cheat tools to one hit win survival modes. You only needed to win one round instead of 10, 30, 50???, and 10000.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So how long till they add it back in?

Capcom: Sorry no updates when it comes to supporting all controllers PC owners.

Capcom: Enjoy this root kit.

Capcom: Oops quick remove it we fucked up implementation.

A month later.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nice to see a quick response

Quick would've been them removing like 12 hours after they made this tweet. Someone called this out (and rightly so) like 1-2 hours after the patch hit. Like within 30 mins or so?

A month later.

Exactly. I don't trust Capcom as far as I can throw them at this point.

RK9039

I really don't think Capcom intended to "get away with" people being unable to start up their game.

But they did intend to hide a malware in Urien's thong?

All jokes aside, they fucked up big time and it's not like the game was getting great feedback in general to begin with.

But they did intend to hide a malware in Urien's thong?
Malicious Bulge. Hrm.

But yeah, I held off on even booting the game once I heard about the rootkit (helps I was without power for most of last night and this morning, otherwise I would have already been fucked). It's ridiculously fucked up that Capcom would pull this, but I am glad there wasn't any huge wait to get it the fuck out of the game either.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Exactly. I don't trust Capcom as far as I can throw them at this point.

Of all things I really did not expect Capcom in 2016 to roll out a root kit..just when I think they can't be anymore stupid.

I think at this point higher ups in Capcom are using SFV as a platform to see how much shit they can stuff into one product and people still buy it or support it.

Fucking disgraceful honestly don't understand why they would ever think a root kit was a good idea. 😞

Malice215

I really don't think Capcom intended to "get away with" people being unable to start up their game.

They intended to stop people from hacking/manipulating the game. What they didn't intend is for people to find out the extent they went to in doing so by using malware while breaking the game for people in the process with their half-assed solution.

If they would have said they were using a rootkit off the bat, people would just point to Sony being sued as reason enough to use a different solution. Instead they still went ahead and deployed the patch and quickly rolled back the security update before the lawyers got to chewin on their ass.

For me, if they're silly enough to use a rootkit, then who knows what will happen in the future. They should have had this crap figured out before they decided to make SFV a service.

Then stop defending it.

Defending what?

I'm not defending putting dangerous stuff on people's computers. No one is.

I'll defend the desire to stop hacking the game, though. People going around stealing other people's accounts like RZR_Infiltration and Xian's is not okay

EDIT: See below

I can't describe how much fuckery this is.. I don't even wanna play this game at all rn.
Do note, I already updated the game and completely closed both SFV and Steam. Yet, I still can't delete this..

YkyCYeG.png

Shouldn't have even thought about pulling this shit in the first place. I guess they just love screwing their costumers with this game.

Tripon

Defending what?

I'm not defending putting dangerous stuff on people's computers. No one is.

I'll defend the desire to stop hacking the game, though. People going around stealing other people's accounts like RZR_Infiltration and Xian's is not okay
Do you even believe the stuff you are typing? Stealing other people accounts? What?

RK9039

I can't describe how much fuckery this is.. I don't even wanna play this game at all rn.
Do note, I already updated the game and completely closed both SFV and Steam. Yet, I still can't delete this..

YkyCYeG.png

Try it in safe boot, should work after that. Oh yeah restart first like the others said.

A month later.

Imagining a straight-faced, apathetic, Ben Stein-ish Japanese Capcom exec saying this is killing me.

Try it in safe boot, should work after that. Oh yeah restart first like the others said.

I got worried cause I actually booted into Safe mode at first and it didn't work. But I restarted it normally and was fine right after to delete it. I can't believe that they really tried this shit for real...

Do you even believe the stuff you are typing? Stealing other people accounts? What?

Okay...I was misinformed.

I thought the RZR-Infiltration bot account stole the real one's name...but, now reading more about it, it looks like it was a different all along...?

RZR-Infiltration vs RZR_Infiltration

I think...?

MuchoMalo

Banned
How the fuck does this happen? DRM is digital cancer, literally.

I don't care how quickly they did this rollback, there is NO EXCUSE for this happening in the first place and they should not be let off the hook for it no matter what.

SSReborn

Okay...I was misinformed.

I thought the RZR-Infiltration bot account stole the real one's name...but, now reading more about it, it looks like it was a different all along...?

RZR-Infiltration vs RZR_Infiltration

I think...?
I think it was the same name but two different accounts.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Just downloaded these log files off Capcom's Japan HQ.

Capcom Employee: Sir SFV is tanking in sales and not meeting our targets what should we do?

Capcom Head: We will have pride in our product and offer people the best service so SFV can grow for years to come.

*Few months later*

Root Kit Man: Hey Capcom deploy me in your SFV game no one gives two fucks about it lets see how many evil pirates and nude Cammy mod lovers we can fuck up!

Capcom Head: Sure throw it in.

Capcom Employee: Shit sir the root kit fucked up the game for people unable to play it now.

Capcom Head: Did these people pay for SFV?

Capcom Employee: Yes sir!

Capcom Head: Ugh remove it for now but I want this root kit back in pronto.

Capcom Employee: Yes sir getting Capcom U.S to write up the PR as we speak lol 😂

Capcom Head: lol. 😂

Top Bottom