• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom removes rootkit from update to Street Fighter V

Neoxon

The FM/Zenny system was dumb in the first place. They are trying to copy DOTA and other MOBA F2P mechanics while ALSO not being F2P. Who at Capcom thought that was a good idea? At this point, they should scrap those and just have the season pass(es) be the DLC packs like they had in SF4.
Wouldn't that piss off even more people?

Nocturno999

It was like 30% when the patch hit. Then it dropped that far. It's been going lower and lower and lower over the past day or two. How did Capcom think this was a good idea?

The FM/Zenny system was dumb in the first place. They are trying to copy DOTA and other MOBA F2P mechanics while ALSO not being F2P. Who at Capcom thought that was a good idea? At this point, they should scrap those and just have the season pass(es) be the DLC packs like they had in SF4.

This. SFV doesn't have a huge audience to sustain that model either.

Wouldn't that piss off even more people?

No, because the current system is even worse. Even if you manage to get the characters for free, the process is mind numbing and still have a lot of content locked left.

Just reinstalled the game and noticed the Capcom.sys file is still there.

Do I delete it or should I restart my computer and run it through System 32?

Chev

On pc people could use memory apps that served as cheat tools to one hit win survival modes. You only needed to win one round instead of 10, 30, 50???, and 10000.

And to solve that just about every other game implements better server checks instead of compromising client machines.

This is Capcom, the company that decided that the entire networking system for SFV was to be only handled by one person!

To be fair, other fighting game networking people like mike Z or Mauve agree that this is actually reasonable. The difficulty of implementing fighting netcode comes from people doing it wrong, not some imaginary massive amount of resources you'd need. The GGPO guy did it single-handedly too.

vg260

It seemed OK on paper, though. :/

No, because the current system is even worse. Even if you manage to get the characters for free, the process is mind numbing and still have a lot of content locked left.

Yup. They implemented the model terribly.

At this point they should just scrap it and go to a KI or MKX style DLC-only model. Keep the balance/system updates free to maintain the player base, drop the price of costumes to previous levels so they sell more, and make characters DLC only. Maybe even let one be free on a rotating basis, or maybe just for the first week after release for people to try.

The whole in-game currency idea has pretty much killed the game so far. It led them to horrible design and game management decisions, and look at where we are. Even many of the most die-hard SF fans are disappointed by their handling.

If people complain about no longer being able to get free characters, too bad. It's obvious the plan is hurting the game, and they'd just be at the same place as other fighters are in right now (KI, MK) with continued support and a sustainable model that people feel is totally reasonable even without totally free characters.

HotHamBoy

At this point they should just scrap it and go to a KI or MKX style DLC-only model. Keep the balance/system updates free to maintain the player base, drop the price of costumes to previous levels so they sell more, and make characters DLC only. Maybe even let one be free on a rotating basis, or maybe just for the first week after release for people to try.

The whole in-game currency idea has pretty much killed the game so far. It led them to horrible design and game management decisions, and look at where we are. Even many of the most die-hard SF fans are disappointed by their handling.

If people complain about no longer being able to get free characters, too bad. It's obvious the plan is hurting the game, and they'd just be at the same place as other fighters are in right now (KI, MK) with continued support and a sustainable model that people feel is totally reasonable even without totally free characters.

I think it's arguable that Fight Money is directly responsible for $4 costumes. If some people are getting characters for free then maybe some other people will make up for it by paying $4 for a skin.

vg260

I think it's arguable that Fight Money is directly responsible for $4 costumes. If some people are getting characters for free then maybe some other people will make up for it by paying $4 for a skin.

I agree, but I think it skewed the pricing too much as a result.

Hyun Sai

I would have kept it very simple.

Base game : 40$
Base game + season 1 characters : 60$
Founder or Tournament edition with all upcoming characters : 100$
1 year season pass : 30$

They can sell costumes, stages, intro if they want another source of income.

The current system is like the worse of both worlds...

Capcom should have sucked it up and not released the game until the autumn.

Forget about tournaments for a second. In the long term, what this game has done to itself and the overall reputation of Capcom and the Street Fighter brand during the past 7 months was not worth it.

Neoxon

Capcom should have sucked it up and not released the game until the autumn.

Forget about tournaments for a second. In the long term, what this game has done to itself and the overall reputation of Capcom and the Street Fighter brand during the past 7 months was not worth it.
If they delayed the game, we would have waited until February 2017 (namely so that they can get through an entire CPT season without any weird upsets in the schedule).

Neoxon

Yes. And?
I personally wouldn't have minded waiting, but USFIV (while it had an impressive showing at EVO 2015) was starting to get stale. My point was that Fall likely wouldn't have been an option because of the Capcom Pro Tour being ongoing at the time.

Though concerning SFV's future, I think Capcom made the right call in continuing support. It's not like they can just drop this game & go back to USFIV (seeing as USFIV is basically dead outside of Japanese arcades). Though Capcom's gonna have to make absolutely sure that another fuck-up like this doesn't happen again, which I fear won't be the case. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Season 1 disc as their big rebrand (Ex: "Street Fighter V: A Shadow Falls", seeing as they painted themselves into a corner by saying no Super versions).

KingBroly

Banned
I personally wouldn't have minded waiting, but USFIV (while it had an impressive showing at EVO 2015) was starting to get stale. My point was that Fall likely wouldn't have been an option because of the Capcom Pro Tour being ongoing at the time.

Though concerning SFV's future, I think Capcom made the right call in continuing support. It's not like they can just drop this game & go back to USFIV (seeing as USFIV is basically dead outside of Japanese arcades). Though Capcom's gonna have to make absolutely sure that another fuck-up like this doesn't happen again, which I fear won't be the case. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Season 1 disc as their big rebrand (Ex: "Street Fighter V: A Shadow Falls", seeing as they painted themselves into a corner by saying no Super versions).

The Tournament scene's going to decrease next year, guaranteed. Even with an Arcade version in Japan, they've done too much damage to this game by rushing it out and trying to patchwork it for people to continue to support.

Pompadour

Actually, the longer the game has been out it seems like SFV will be just fine. Around April I was expecting some sort of all year one DLC + base game disc release this Christmas as a concession but now I figure they'll just milk things a bit longer than I expected. This PC thing doesn't look good but I can't see too many people caring as 1) the PC user base for this game is puny and 2) most of the people who care about this had made up their mind about Capcom/SFV anyway.

Capcom will probably fuck up SFV a few more times and it'll have little bearing on their plans.

A stale but tried-and-true game followed up by a bigger, badder, better SFV making a guns-blazing introduction sounds way healthier in the long term than dropping SFIV in favour of a complete mess.

My point was more that autumn should've been the absolute earliest the game should've launched, but if CPT is an issue why not just reschedule that? The tournament should be ready when the game's ready. Not the other way around. That thinking is what got Capcom into this mess.

EDIT: If not rescheduled (out of concerns for players' livelihoods), then just ride out USFIV or w/e. Point still remains, they shouldn't have based a whole game's launch around a tournament or other such event.

Actually, the longer the game has been out it seems like SFV will be just fine. Around April I was expecting some sort of all year one DLC + base game disc release this Christmas as a concession but now I figure they'll just milk things a bit longer than I expected. This PC thing doesn't look good but I can't see too many people caring as 1) the PC user base for this game is puny and 2) most of the people who care about this had made up their mind about Capcom/SFV anyway.

Capcom will probably fuck up SFV a few more times and it'll have little bearing on their plans.

Again, the tournament scene isn't the issue.

The bolded would be non-factors if Capcom hadn't bungled the launch as badly as they did. The negative aftereffects you speak of are proof that the game is not fine, and are not issues that are easily solvable with magic patches. They missed the boat on attracting non-FGC/hardcore crowds and they're unlikely to come back any time soon.

My point was more that autumn should've been the absolute earliest the game should've launched, but if CPT is an issue why not just reschedule that? The tournament should be ready when the game's ready. Not the other way around. That thinking is what got Capcom into this mess.

I mean, anyone with common sense would say that a game's development being dictated by a marketing campaign (CPT) is backwards.

But given recent developments, maybe it was a real decision. Not a smart one, but a real one.

Pompadour

Again, the tournament scene isn't the issue.

The bolded would be non-factors if Capcom hadn't bungled the launch as badly as they did. The negative aftereffects you speak of are proof that the game is not fine, and are not issues that are easily solvable with magic patches. They missed the boat on attracting non-FGC/hardcore crowds and they're unlikely to come back any time soon.

I'm not talking about the tournaments at all.

My main point is that SFV can't fuck up harder than the launch and SFV survived it and has plans for the future. I don't feel like it "needs" to turn things around at this point. It'll continue, at least for another season or two.

Jawmuncher

I mean, anyone with common sense would say that a game's development being dictated by a marketing campaign (CPT) is backwards.

But given recent developments, maybe it was a real decision. Not a smart one, but a real one.

I think capcom expected the FGC to carry them more, and that the core mechanics of the game itself would appeal to the mass market. Since no one is saying SFV is a bad game, even at launch the game-play was fantastic. But the content for casuals, plus the shaky online did them no favors.

But yeah I really think Capcom, fully expect things to go smoother than they did.

My main point is that SFV can't fuck up harder than the launch and SFV survived it and has plans for the future. I don't feel like it "needs" to turn things around at this point. It'll continue, at least for another season or two.

Yeah, overall it's going to do fine. But it's obvious capcom wanted far more out of the title than what they have gotten thus far.
Still releasing another retail version or such after a season or two like we just saw with Killer Instinct I think would be a good move.

Ahhh, I see.

I dunno. I can't help but feel like Capcom are at least somewhat shaken by this whole debacle. No guarantee their business plans will go completely as planned (I remember how they bumped up the SFxTK "DLC" characters' unlock date because of the backlash surrounding it). I'm kind of wary, but if your point is more that they'll try and milk as much as they can out of it and keep the train rolling as long as possible, then I get where you're coming from and might agree actually. It's not as if they really have many other options. Apologies for any misinterpretation.

Mik317

Capcom isn't exactly healthy. I doubt they could have "just held the game back until 2017". They botched the launch no fucking doubt. They also have fucked up the "fix" too. That doesn't change the fact that financially they needed the game out ASAP.

That's not something people like to hear because they want the best FOR THEM but it is what it is. The CPT is yet another financial based thing, plus Sony's involvement probably also pushed for an earlier release.

It isn't as easy as "oh we will wait until the game is juuust right to release it" not everyone has that luxury. It sucks and doesn't excuse the fuck ups (especially this one as finally the game is "complete" in a way and they still found a way to bring up more bad news) at all.

But that ship has sailed. And the reasoning for it is still just...the execution is the issue. The constant flubbing sucks.

HOPEFULLY, the refresh and season 2 gets things back near the track.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This again? You can tell who's been here and who hasn't. Capcom Cup 2013 only was Evo+Fall events.
The Pro Tour has evolved a lot since then. I really think it was the main reason for the game's early release. They didn't want to waste all these events they helped to elevate. There are literally weekends with four events on four continents sometimes. And they would've missed EVO, too.

Capcom isn't exactly healthy. I doubt they could have "just held the game back until 2017". They botched the launch no fucking doubt. They also have fucked up the "fix" too. That doesn't change the fact that financially they needed the game out ASAP.

That's not something people like to hear because they want the best FOR THEM but it is what it is. The CPT is yet another financial based thing, plus Sony's involvement probably also pushed for an earlier release.

It isn't as easy as "oh we will wait until the game is juuust right to release it" not everyone has that luxury. It sucks and doesn't excuse the fuck ups (especially this one as finally the game is "complete" in a way and they still found a way to bring up more bad news) at all.

But that ship has sailed. And the reasoning for it is still just...the execution is the issue. The constant flubbing sucks.

HOPEFULLY, the refresh and season 2 gets things back near the track.
I would agree, but the game was so barebones that any sane publisher would know it would make for bad reviews, bad value perception and the loss of many many sales. And they're putting in the work now anyway, it's not like they saved money on that front.

Like, the game didn't even have lobbies when it came out. It was pretty much a 1 vs 1 demo.

Tripon

The main purpose release is that Capcom didn't have a release for Q4 2015-2016, so they rushed a game to that release date. No more, no less..you check last year financials and realize that when you subtract SFV disappointing sales, Capcom revenues would be even worse.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Saying early release was because of CPT is better though. It makes the company seem like they're victims of unfortunate circumstances.
That's not what I was saying, atleast. I think it was really stupid to release it in the state they did.

Devil

A regular SF4 update was like $25, wasn't it? The seasonpass was $30 and close to the end of this season it was already on sale for $15. Since you can easily get 500k-600k FM (I have that much, bought the seasonpass and finished survival only on easy with every character, normal with 2 characters, nothing else in that mode), you are set for 2 years or 12 characters for $15-$30. For anyone who wants to jump in at the end of a season with the complete roster of that season, the game + seasonpass bundle was also on sale recently for 35€ in the EU store. That's pretty reasonable.

I honestly think that's better than what SF4 did. Especially because of the smaller time in between the updates. A character each month is fun, imo.

The other reason for this change was to keep every player in the same version at all times, since balance updates were also locked behind the new releases of SF4, probably to justify the price / new physical release. I don't think this would be a problem though, they could just still get the balance updates rolled out to everyone to keep a single version of the game, just with payed-only DLC characters.

I actually don't see too much of a problem with the system itself, I even prefer it. The biggest question will be wether the next seasons will provide enough FM to get a reasonable amount of new content for free.

Edit: Personally, once the characters for season 2 will be revealed, I will be able to decide how many of tjose characters I actually want and can then chose what other type of content, like stages and costumes, I want to get with my FM.

MrCarter

The Tournament scene's going to decrease next year, guaranteed. Even with an Arcade version in Japan, they've done too much damage to this game by rushing it out and trying to patchwork it for people to continue to support.

How do you know it will decrease next year? Your just shitting on the game as usual. The "damage" that they have done is more or less been improved upon, especially in the September update and they have fixed the PC security flaw quite promptly so they can only improve things further from here.

Spman2099

Yeah, the mind-numbing process of playing the game... >_>

I would be pissed if they decided to adopt the blatantly inferior SF4 system.

MrCarter

It was like 30% when the patch hit. Then it dropped that far. It's been going lower and lower and lower over the past day or two. How did Capcom think this was a good idea?

I agree that the pricing of DLC is fairly expensive in comparison to previous iterations however as it's mainly cosmetic stuff and the fact that Capcom won't make you buy yearly discs of the game I think it's a fair trade off. I've seen many DLC costumes online, but yes, they need to find some sort of middle ground with the pricing to increase that.

Regarding the "free" characters, personally I think it's a very innovative idea in terms of actually buying them with "Fight Money" that you can obtain from playing the game (daily/weekly challenges will make it far easier too) and I doubt the sales would have changed either way. It was the lack of game modes and awful networking which affected sales.

MrCarter

Yeah, the mind-numbing process of playing the game... >_>

I would be pissed if they decided to adopt the blatantly inferior SF4 system.

Same, paying for yearly iterations is ridiculous. Fight Money is a great idea and although Capcom has the dailies now it should have been there from the start.

There weren't even "updates" for all of them, so this is false.
Super Street Fighter 4 was standalone, but not full price. Not sure about AE.

They left remnants if you had it installed, but they're not distributing it anymore.
They're not distributing it any more, sure. They still haven't removed it though. The offending driver is still there ready to be exploited. They haven't resolved the security concern at all.

Spman2099

Same, paying for yearly iterations is ridiculous. Fight Money is a great idea and although Capcom has the dailies now it should have been there from the start.

I think that was the most egregious Capcom stumble. It took them too damn long to get that system, which was supposed to be the backbone of the model, up and running. Still, it is here now. I think trying to change the DLC model now would be a disastrous move.

MrCarter

They already got away with it, see?

This time next week all will be forgotten. No matter how many dumb things Capcom does.

Something something gameplay, something something pros, popular in the FGC, etc. etc

What do you want them to do? Stop playing a game that they enjoy because of a few idiots at Capcom? Blaming the entire development team on the decisions made by mangagement is not the way to go. People are enjoying the game and right now at EGX in London over 11,000 people are watching the stream because fundamentally the game is very good. It's just a shame they make very dumb decisions sometimes.

Top Bottom