• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom removes rootkit from update to Street Fighter V

lupinko

Why did they add a rootkit?

People were hacking the game for easy fight money and/or stealing paid DLC through fooling the server hacks.

It wasn't just for PC for the latter as the PC hacks even let PS4 players do it.

People were taking money away from capcom, what else were they supposed to do?

Edit: they needed to do a better job about it but they just panicked with the root kit.

Neoxon

People were hacking the game for easy fight money and/or stealing paid DLC through fooling the server hacks.

It wasn't just for PC for the latter as the PC hacks even let PS4 players do it.

Edit: they needed to do a better job about it but they just panicked with the root kit.
This. I get the concern of hacking the Fight Money system, but the rootkit thing wasn't the right way to go about it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

Root Kit is never the answer and it's completely illegal.

Also, the hacks for PS4 is done through hijacking the communications between the server and client by setting up a proxy. I once saw a video linked about it on SRK. Capcom really should encrypt their data communications between client and server. Blaming PC is complete BS.

The only way to protect the "integrity" of their fight money is to make more stuff server side. There is no other solution. This shitty early 2000s era malware style protection would do nothing but harm real customers.

hamchan

Something server side instead of installing a root kit?!

Akronis

For anyone that can't delete, use SysInternals handles or some other app and force close out of any open handles using Capcom.sys and then try deleting.

Could also just live boot into Linux and delete it too.

lupinko

Hey I'm not defending capcom, I'm just reiterating why they panicked and did what they did mainly because the same questions and accusations are made without reading.

They're not blizzard or any other developer with better security. This is the same company after all that had one guy work on SFV's netcode.

Ultimadrago

People can try to close their eyes and forgive Capcom all they want.

Much like Capcom's other exhibits of being stuffed to the brim with shit marketing/development decisions

I won't forget.

I won't.

Damage is already done in my eyes, seems capcom is joining wb on my list of "do not buy games from". A shame because I was looking forward to RE7.

Neoxon

Damage is already done in my eyes, seems capcom is joining wb on my list of "do not buy games from". A shame because I was looking forward to RE7.
On top of the Dead Rising mention above me in terms of Capcom, WB Games is actually making an effort to rectify things with the recent release of MKXL on PC.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Hey I'm not defending capcom, I'm just reiterating why they panicked and did what they did mainly because the same questions and accusations are made without reading.

They're not blizzard or any other developer with better security. This is the same company after all that had one guy work on SFV's netcode.

You pointed towards PC "Hacks" paving the way for PS4 hacks which is not the case.

People were setting up proxies to capture data on the console and modify values since like week 1 or 2 of release nothing to do with PC SF5.

RK9039

Confirmation please, is it safe to install/play again?

It seems to be safe now from what I've read on the Steam discussions. Only problem is the rollback didn't actually delete Capcom.sys so people are manually deleting it. If you never had Capcom.sys in the first place then it should be fine as well.

DR2K

Banned
Glad they fhey remidied their mistake. Hopefully there's a better way to handle cheating on PC. Theft isn't cool.

I know a lot of people that probably weren't going to buy the game are upset, so hopefully Capcom finds a way to mend this important relationship.

lupinko

You pointed towards PC "Hacks" paving the way for PS4 hacks which is not the case.

People were setting up proxies to capture data on the console and modify values since like week 1 or 2 of release nothing to do with PC SF5.

My mistake on the PS4 front, but the PC still had hacking for easy fight money and just like the PS4 version were still able to pirate premium DLC.

Capcom is already poor as it is and this game bombed, so I see why they're so desperate in trying to protect their only means of making money with dlc.

That's what happens with no arcade version.

They just released Dead Rising like two weeks ago. This was dumb but come on.

1. I bought dead rising way before this happened.

2. The fact that capcom were wiling to install rootkits into the computers crossed a line. If they were willing to do that, and let's be honest in the fact that they are only rolling it back because they were caught, then who knows what stupidity they would try in the future.

I am aware of most of their practices and missteps but it was harder for me to "shitlist" them because I had fond memories of Street Fighter and Resident Evil but this did it for me.

On top of the Dead Rising mention above me in terms of Capcom, WB Games is actually making an effort to rectify things with the recent release of MKXL on PC.

Let's be honest here, they are only doing this so that they can sucker people into buying injustice 2 when it hits on pc. Will it be a good port? I can't say but even if it was how long til they go back to hiring cheap studios to port their games to the pc in the future?

rockyt

Thing is they probably thought nobody notice. Once someone and a bunch of people did. They had no choice but to get rid of it. What they did is completely illegal correct me if I'm wronge which could open up a can of worm to money hungry lawyer sharks.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
My mistake on the PS4 front, but the PC still had hacking for easy fight money and just like the PS4 version were still able to pirate premium DLC.

Capcom is already poor as it is and this game bombed, so I see why they're so desperate in trying to protect their only means of making money with dlc.

Yeah I wish the game did better. But, it sucks Capcom thought this was a good idea.

Please Capcom not like this.

Venfayth

I don't believe they didn't think people wouldn't notice. The last version of SFV checks to see if you're running CheatEngine and will automatically close itself if you open it. They also have some weird memory encapsulation to protect itself from being edited - but note that there are plenty of workarounds/bypasses to this.

The people doing this know very well that the people trying to bypass their anti-cheat are sophisticated enough to understand what their software is doing to their computer.

I don't know why they did this, assuredly not for a good reason, but I find it more illogical to think whoever programmed this didn't think others would find it.

psy18

So how long till they add it back in?

Capcom: Sorry no updates when it comes to supporting all controllers PC owners.

Capcom: Enjoy this root kit.

Capcom: Oops quick remove it we fucked up implementation.

A month later.

Capcom: Enjoy this root kit.

I don't know why this make me laugh so hard

Gartooth

I didn't even know that they sent a rootkit to their customers until now! Really glad I haven't touched this game in a long time to give this malware access to my PC.

I'm uninstalling the game to keep my system protected from any other ideas those dumbasses come up with.

Malice215

It makes me curious. Maybe they could have had a better platform if they delayed release.

Or was this venture just doomed from the start?

I thought it was doomed before release simply because making the game into a service means that it always need a connection to servers supporting it, and because the amount of people who would spend money on the service is limited.

We saw plenty of issues early on with server disconnections. The fact that they had to drop their plan of using their own digital currency tied to real money and opted to use Steam/PSN for purchases, and the fact that a Scooby Doo mystery is tougher than the security around the game are just a few of many reasons as to why the game should have been delayed instead of rushed out the door at full price.

The rootkit I'm sure crosses the line for many people who've been waiting for months for them to get their shit together. I thought we finally had the full game people expected until they used Urien's trojan thong to sneak one in on people.

Gren

Well, at least this dumb decision got rectified rather quickly. Guess I won't have to miss out on SFV anytime soon after all.

Vestal

Gold Member

heres an idea, SHUTDOWN the Fight money system until you come up with a solution that does not fuck your paying customers. Many games have done this in the past when presented with a vulnerable system.

Heres another idea.. Create a better system to prevent this sort of situation.

HotHamBoy

Well, at least this dumb decision got rectified rather quickly. Guess I won't have to miss out on SFV anytime soon after all.

They already got away with it, see?

This time next week all will be forgotten. No matter how many dumb things Capcom does.

Something something gameplay, something something pros, popular in the FGC, etc. etc

LakeEarth

A little late, but I'm pretty proud of it.

1132781.gif

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Huh so I should delete that thing? What's the problems that may arise from a rootkit?

Let Ono break it down for you.

Ono: Hi 🍕😺 today I'll explain what problems can arise from a root kit.

Ono: a root kit can allow malicious access via backdoor..think of it as leaving your backdoor unlocked and open so assholes from around the world can enter your house and 💩on your floor, fuck your 💁🏻, and steal your 💰, While thinking 💭 it's in the right just because some people in your town might have modded their copy of SFV to show off Cammys roast beef 👄

Ono: Thankfully here at Capcom we are so stupid we can't even deploy a simple root kit without having to patch it out hours later because we screwed up the game for people that legit purchased the game.

Ono: Thank you enjoy the game & please tell your friends to buy it. 😊

lupinko

heres an idea, SHUTDOWN the Fight money system until you come up with a solution that does not fuck your paying customers. Many games have done this in the past when presented with a vulnerable system.

Heres another idea.. Create a better system to prevent this sort of situation.

This is Capcom, the company that decided that the entire networking system for SFV was to be only handled by one person!

If SFV didn't have good gameplay and wasn't as great as a game as it is fundamentally, SFV would have totally been the original No Man's Sky.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I really don't think Capcom intended to "get away with" people being unable to start up their game.
That's been a problem since the Windows security update months back. Several angry people here told me it was my problem. That I should've configured my system better.

Maybe the terminology is slightly different on Windows, but what makes this a root kit? Does it give non-admin users Administrator access?

New002

The issue is not that they are trying to prevent people from cheating and gaining mass amounts of Fight Money. The issue is how they went about trying to fix this. I think everyone understands Capcom's motivation for trying to get this patched up, and it isn't unreasonable.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It was like 30% when the patch hit. Then it dropped that far. It's been going lower and lower and lower over the past day or two. How did Capcom think this was a good idea?

The FM/Zenny system was dumb in the first place. They are trying to copy DOTA and other MOBA F2P mechanics while ALSO not being F2P. Who at Capcom thought that was a good idea? At this point, they should scrap those and just have the season pass(es) be the DLC packs like they had in SF4.

VariantX

And pissing all your MH money away by going all in on mobile.

Top Bottom