• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom removes rootkit from update to Street Fighter V

MrCarter

I think that was the most egregious Capcom stumble. It took them too damn long to get that system, which was supposed to be the backbone of the model, up and running. Still, it is here now. I think trying to change the DLC model now would be a disastrous move.

True, as much as certain people want to complain I think FM is the perfect model but the execution was indeed shit. People moaned when Capcom kept on releasing iterations of SFIV that divided the whole community of players so it's kind of hypocritical when they also moan when Capcom have stated that this is the only title you will need for balance, gameplay, characters and features in the future.

MrCarter

No, because the current system is even worse. Even if you manage to get the characters for free, the process is mind numbing and still have a lot of content locked left.

The only content being left out are cosmetic things. Characters, certain stages and now most of the colours can be bought with Fight Money.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wouldn't that piss off even more people?

No, because the SF4 model already works. Introduce the characters as an update pack. Pay the $10 or so to get all 6 characters a la the Season Pass already there. Making players grind EVERY. SINGLE. UNLOCK. is the problem. They want FM for the Characters (okay), they want FM for the Stages (what? But okay), they want FM for the titles (lol wut), they want FM for the outfits (lol no).

SF4's system works because you at least know what you're getting (Characters and a Balance update) even if people hated the rate Capcom did their balance updates. Merging the two would be something like grinding for the season pass BUT you get the net benefit of that grind giving you MASSIVELY more value for your time than the current system.

Spman2099

No, because the SF4 model already works. Introduce the characters as an update pack. Pay the $10 or so to get all 6 characters a la the Season Pass already there. Making players grind EVERY. SINGLE. UNLOCK. is the problem. They want FM for the Characters (okay), they want FM for the Stages (what? But okay), they want FM for the titles (lol wut), they want FM for the outfits (lol no).

They aren't making the players do shit, you can STILL buy the characters with money if you want. The option you are pimping essentially amounts to "take the ability to earn new characters in-game away". Which is madness. It would be the dumbest possible decision they could make.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They aren't making the players do shit,

Maybe the Dailies make it easier, but you're telling me you can "go infinite" just from the Ranked Mode wins (no you can't, for the record)?

Because the launch of SF5 was:

-Do these single-player things to get a potential 1million FM to start off with (lol good luck getting past our input-reading AI though!)
-Grind ranked for 50FM per win and like 0FM per loss (thereby a waste of time)

How is that not a grind to get characters? It's the worst of the F2P genres with none of the benefits (until now where they introduced dailies and apparently DO have single-player/offline means of getting the FM)

MrCarter

SF4's system works because you at least know what you're getting (Characters and a Balance update) even if people hated the rate Capcom did their balance updates. Merging the two would be something like grinding for the season pass BUT you get the net benefit of that grind giving you MASSIVELY more value for your time than the current system.

SF4 system didn't work as much as you think it did. It seperated so many players from each iteration and those that were forced to upgrade didn't have a choice because they wanted to stay and remain in a healthy player pool. This way they can get the characters they wish via Fight Money and not have a problem in updating the entire base game by paying. This way they get every update in terms of gameplay, balance and features for FREE.

Spman2099

Maybe the Dailies make it easier, but you're telling me you can "go infinite" just from the Ranked Mode wins (no you can't, for the record)?

Because the launch of SF5 was:

-Do these single-player things to get a potential 1million FM to start off with (lol good luck getting past our input-reading AI though!)
-Grind ranked for 50FM per win and like 0FM per loss (thereby a waste of time)

How is that not a grind to get characters? It's the worst of the F2P genres with none of the benefits (until now where they introduced dailies and apparently DO have single-player/offline means of getting the FM)

Everyone who loves to attack that model love to get the equation wrong. You get about 100FM per win through character leveling.

Beyond that, it is brain-dead easy to earn a large amount of the initial six DLC character. Doesn't even take long (you could unlock your first two characters within a couple hours of single player play). However, more importantly, that isn't the point. There is now a system in place that allows you to pickup more fight money week to week. The system is fine as it is.

P.S. I have no idea what "go infinite" means. I also don't know where that quote is coming from.

You get pretty much all the characters by doing the INSANELY easy story modes for the characters,easy survival and trials and demonstrations.

Then you buy the characters with the FM and realize that these characters have all that too so it becomes a lot more bearable.

And if it seems like getting all the stuff for free requires grinding, that's because it's purposefully modelled that way. They WANT you to pay for characters and the like but if you don't want to, you don't have to.

Head.spawn

Capcom pulled a Sony? Wow.

I haven't kept up on the latest update and haven't even loaded up Steam for it to download. Glad i didn't last night when i got the urge but luckily League URF pulled me in for the night.

MrCarter

You know when you're defending a game a little bit too much when you make a quadruple post.

I missed out on this thread so had some making up to do lol. And it's not defending, it's called positive and logical thinking. I'm not gonna deny that Capcom have taken liberties with PC players but I also can't deny it's a great game to watch and play.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looking back, this game model should have been nice and simple. Buy the game, get characters and stages for free while pumping out paid cosmetics for a reasonable price throughout its life. Easy.

But it is Capcom so they just had to shit the bed and roll around in it.

MrCarter

Honestly, I can't even blame people for using survival mode cheats, considering that mode is completely busted. If that mode was not abysmal, I'm sure less people would opt to use the cheats.

I'm sad I didn't do them back when they were safe to use.

He defended rootkits in the previous thread, wanting people to stop "whining about capcom installing rootkits". God forbid people got easy FM out of a mediocre fighting game's broken SP features. Gotta install rootkits to support them microtransactions.

At least it now has "dailies".

That's funny because if you actually read my posts I then went back on my word and gave Capcom shit as much as everyone else did. Thanks for your selective reading though.

Saikyo

I missed out on this thread so had some making up to do lol. And it's not defending, it's called positive and logical thinking. I'm not gonna deny that Capcom have taken liberties with PC players but I also can't deny it's a great game to watch and play.

You could have...edited your post 4 times.

Honestly, I can't even blame people for using survival mode cheats, considering that mode is completely busted. If that mode was not abysmal, I'm sure less people would opt to use the cheats.

I'm sad I didn't do them back when they were safe to use.

He defended rootkits in the previous thread, wanting people to stop "whining about capcom installing rootkits". God forbid people got easy FM out of a mediocre fighting game's broken SP features. Gotta install rootkits to support them microtransactions.

At least it now has "dailies".

This is a weird train of thought, dude. "They installed a rootkit to stop people from cheating, what the fuck?! I should've cheated when I had the chance." Survival isn't broken, its pretty easy up until you get to HARD mode. It is in need of a dire tweaking, but broken it is not.

The rootkit is still a fucked up thing to do.

Top Bottom