• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Offical Thread

bla bla ba, trolls shut up while I asked questions about the game

in the Town area, can you skip all the side stuff?
do you stay in the town for short periods of time or is it long?
can you just skip town stuff and directly do the Action Stages?
after you complete a stage, is there a mode where you can play stages singularly ?

JDA

Banned
I really doubt Sega will do much better, ever.

This Sonic game is great. Either you can dis it and run the series into the ground YOURSELVES, or you can actually play the game and enjoy it.

The only 'problem' with this game now is the incredible waves of negativity that come from the media and gamers on the internet.

JDA

Banned
Yes, you can skip the side missions.

The game starts you in the towns for longer periods. Later on it gets shorter.

You cannot skip ALL the town stuff, just most of it.

Yes, you can reply stages in a separate non-story mode.

MegaTen

Banned
JDA said:
1. So Sonic games should be all about running in a straight line and jumping occasionally?

All games evolve.

2. Well, Half Life 2 didn't really use physics for the core gameplay. The Silver levels do.

3. Psi Ops might use physics in gameplay, but it cannot be as complex as this game's. The physics in this game clearly show off the abilities of a next gen console. I'll admit I never played Psi Ops, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the Silver levels.
What? Ok.. you've admitted to not play Psi-Ops(which has physics that would be "next gen" by your standards).. but something tells me you havent even played through the entirety of Half-Life 2. Go play through these to games before coming back here and calling Silver's levels "revolutionary". :lol Hell, even Lego Star Wars' force-building power is as impressive.

JDA said:
3. Psi Ops might use physics in gameplay, but it cannot be as complex as this game's. The physics in this game clearly show off the abilities of a next gen console. I'll admit I never played Psi Ops, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the Silver levels.
:lol

JDA

Banned
No, I played Half Life 2 to it's entirety more than once, as well as Ep. 1

It's obvious you haven't played this game. Just STFU, seriously. You and other idiots like you are killing gaming...

omg rite said:
Good. Sega needs to wake the **** up and realize they can't recycle the same BROKEN gameplay they've used since 1999.
I agree. The time spent on this could have been better spent on... well, you know where I'm going here...
Back to waiting for Banjo-Threeie, then...

traveler

Not Wario
Better than HL2? You're kidding right? My roommate has been playing it for about two hours now and I have seen NOTHING to suggest this game is worth buying. No, platformers do not need a story, but if they insist on having one, they definitely don't need to have the overwrought, stupidly dramatic story this game has. Also, the town sections are horrible. (Sega, this IS a platformer, right?) Honestly, those that buy this game are part of the problem. C'mon, guys! I want to see this franchise restored!

JDA

Banned
God, you guys are ****ing idiots. You aren't even able to form your own opinions and you accuse others, who clearly know better than you do, of not knowing what they're talking about.

Jesus ****ing christ you guys are ****ing idiots. Eat shit and die.

AniHawk

JDA said:
God, you guys are ****ing idiots. You aren't even able to form your own opinions and you accuse others, who clearly know better than you do, of not knowing what they're talking about.

Jesus ****ing christ you guys are ****ing idiots. Eat shit and die.

Dude... are you being sarcastic?

JamesE

Fight for Freeform said:
Much like I was dissappointed with 3D Blast on the Saturn, rather than a true sequel.

That was an inherently bad game that failed on almost every basic design level, I agree.

I've already rationalized why I dislike it. You can't go back, can't roll, can't jump properly, it's just not Sonic. You can go left and right and leap.

This is mostly all you can do in 3D Sonic now. Tails throws ring bombs at enemies like some kind of Bubsy 3D shit. The animations are moving away from spining to slide-kicks and mid-air pose striking.

SEGA could have popped in Ristar and people wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Ristar never ran into the screen or dropped rings when he took damage. Sonic did both of these things as early as 1992! Do you see? do you see?

Add in Sonic rolling (to gain speed and to kill baddies), jumping like he does in the special stages (like in Sonic 2 and in Rush), able to turn around and go back on the path he was running on previously, multiple paths (both vertical and horizontal) and get rid of those white fuzzballs you have to collect, and I would look forward to it. But no, we get a game on rails, with none of Sonic's traits beside his own visuals.

Well, you can either give the game a chance on it's own merits (as I intend to) or be all Rain Man about it and never play anthing that doesn't meet your 12-point plan for a better Sonic ever again. If Wildfire is fun, it's your loss.

ZeoVGM

Banned
JDA said:
The only 'problem' with this game now is the incredible waves of negativity that come from the media and gamers on the internet.

Oh, really?

THAT is the ONLY problem with the game, huh?

So the camera doesn't suck?

The controls aren't mediocre?

The setting of the game doesn't suck?

It's not the same basic game we've played since 1999 with no improvements on the same problems?

Okay!

JDA

Banned
You know what the worst part is? You guys are total hypocrites.

A few weeks ago I made some comments about a certain upcoming Zelda game and everyone proceeded to trash me despite my clear comments and reasoning. This is a game that none of you even played.

Now I come on here posting about a game I am enjoying, one that I have actually played, and you idiots are allowed to trash it and anyone who likes it into the ground... WTF seriously.

You guys are scum.

traveler

Not Wario
JDA said:

A few weeks ago I made some comments about a certain upcoming Zelda game and everyone proceeded to trash me despite my clear comments and reasoning. This is a game that none of you even played.

Now I come on here posting about a game I am enjoying, one that I have actually played, and you idiots are allowed to trash it and anyone who likes it into the ground... WTF seriously.

You guys are scum.

As I said above, my roommate and I have played this game for about 2 hours now. Sorry if I didn't arrive at the same opinion as yours. I guess that makes me scum.

AniHawk

JDA said:

You guys are scum.

LIGHT YEARS. IN THE FUTURE

JDA

Banned
omg rite, you didn't ****ing play the game, that much is obvious.

The game is MUCH improved over SA1 and 2 on Dreamcast...

LOL at JDA's breakdown. See Sega? This is what happens to the fans who are unable to cope with you continually raping the Sonic franchise.

Maztorre

MegaTen said:
Ok, so I'll ask again. What are you expecting.. or what do you want from a 3D Sonic game? Ususally when people don't like how a game plays they provide examples of what they think might make it better.. something a lot of you trolls havent been doing. And I'm almost repeating myself as much as the whiners, but you guys obviously have not played the final version of the game and thus can't realize that progress is being made. It's not a lot, mind you, but it's enough to be noticeable and still have fun playing it.

A game that makes some attempt to implement character physics back into the gameplay. Sonic should not stick to things because he is scripted to do so, he should be sticking to things because he is running fast enough to do so. Similarly, there are plenty of great examples of ball-based physics/momentum simulations built into very well-received games (metroid prime?). If it was a case where Sega were willing to treat the title as something with prestige to it, instead of a cash cow, we might have seen some real advancements in the engine by this point.

A game that goes beyond extremely rudimentary multi-path stages suspended above various bottomless pits. Mario 64 did this a long, long time ago. Nintendo moved on. Everyone else moved on. Sonic Team haven't.

A storyline that treats the franchise with a little more respect. Give the characters actual charm and personality instead of shoehorning in overwrought timetravel/demon-reviving/bizarre love interest out of nowhere storylines on an already top-heavy cast.

JDA

Banned
You guys don't even read what I type, you just flame me regardless.

That's why I get upset. It's like talking to a brick wall that can only throw insults back.

Why is it you cannot read what I'm typing?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So the camera doesn't suck?

The controls aren't mediocre?

The setting of the game doesn't suck?
The setting rocks, I don't know where you got the idea that it doesn't.

The rest, well, you know. I maintain that the number 1 problem is the loading, and it's enough to put a huge damper on EVERYTHING else.

Nintendo moved on. Everyone else moved on. Sonic Team haven't.
Actually, they have (literally). Sonic Team exists in name only.

traveler

Not Wario
JDA said:

Crap. How'd you know? I couldn't have possibly played the game and not loved it, after all.

JDA

Banned
Yea, pass the popcorn and look at all you idiots.

Anyways, I'm going back to playing the game. Instead of ganging up on others who don't share my opinion on the internets.

Enjoy your shitty forum.

AniHawk

JDA said:

That's why I get upset. It's like talking to a brick wall that can only throw insults back.

We're too busy laughing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
JDA said:

When did you come here from GameFaqs, exactly?

I haven't seen a Sega/Sonic fanboy this bad in a while. Most kind of gave up by now.

I didn't play the game? So I don't work at EB Games and I didn't take the game out today for 4 days when I went and bought FF3, Trauma Center, Rayman, and Monkey Ball?

Oh, okay.

(It plays exactly the same as SA1.)

AniHawk

JDA said:
Yea, pass the popcorn and look at all you idiots.

Anyways, I'm going back to playing the game. Instead of ganging up on others who don't share my opinion on the internets.

Enjoy your shitty forum.
Enjoy your shitty game.

JDA said:

Wait... What?
You've called us hypocrites and AND scum.
We've said that we're dissapointed in this game/it sucks.

Who's insulting who?

*HINT: The first "who" is "you", the other is "my intelligence".

from what I gathered on this contested thread is that there are actually only FOUR people who played the retail version so far

3 positives and 1 negative. I listened to the positive and negative input from those Four people who gave their impressions and I will digest it for what it is.

the rest of you trolls who critique and havn't played the game, you all have your heads up your asses.

and Nintendo fans can byte me for all your hypocracies

AniHawk

gutter, I'm just getting on JDA's case because he's just too damn hilarious. You're cool as long as you don't go off the ****ing deep end.

I played the Marketplace demo, I hated it. Unless Sega puts up a new demo that doesn't suck, I am not convinced the game is worth buying.

AniHawk said:
Holy shit. I think that's the first time you had a post with no spelling errors.
I hope so,
I better not have any spelling erro0rs when spelling my own user name or I else I would have real problems

Maztorre

Mr. Pointy said:
I played the Marketplace demo, I hated it. Unless Sega puts up a new demo that doesn't suck, I am not convinced the game is worth buying.

SORRY CITIZEN, BUT NEGATIVE OPINIONS ABOUT SONIC ARE FORBIDDEN BY DECREE OF FORUM USER GUTTER_TRASH! WELCOME TO YOUR NEOGAFTOPIA!

Top Bottom